PDA

View Full Version : The Early Night Owl Catches the Worm

cyndiofthevortex
October 1st, 2013, 12:23 AM
...or the mouse, depending on what you're hungry for. I know, I know, I'm up too early tonight. But after only 2 hours of sleep here I am, up and awake and I don't plan on staying up for long.

Tonight I have a very easy quiz for you: Cumulus, cirrus, stratus. What are they? Yes, I told you it was easy. They are clouds, of course. As an adult I always wanted to know the names of the different kinds of clouds. I regretted not learning this in school. My friend Sherry, who really does tire of my complaining, bought me a book about clouds and I taught myself everything I wanted to know. How easy it was!

Is there anything you wished you knew more about but never learned? Do you wish you knew, like I do, how to identify a bird by its song or the names of the flowers of summer? What are you interested in learning next and how can you learn it?

kensington
October 1st, 2013, 12:27 AM
Ha! Tonight is one night I am turning in early. Headed to the shower now, lots to do tomorrow. Well, maybe not lots... but some. LOL

Miss Sheri
October 1st, 2013, 12:47 AM
Good Evening Night Owls!
Cyndi, I also enjoyed learning about the clouds, but I didn't really learn which was which until I taught pre-school and had my 'weather' lessons. I learned along with the kids from some great kid's books.

I would love to learn a bit more about gardening and horticulture. So far, I am learning by trial and error, asking a lot of questions, calling my local University extension office, and checking out books. ~Sheri

Next . . .

Lisapc
October 1st, 2013, 01:01 AM
I love clouds. Every day of our relationship no matter what Peter and I have a chat about the clouds of the day. Lil' Peter joins in when he is around. Not a cloud in the sky this evening when we were cooking on the grill. Lil' Peter walked all around the house looking because he could not believe it, there is always one cloud. Well, not tonight.

I would love to learn about, I don't know. Yes I do. I would like to learn how to help myself, my Lupus with herbs and foods rather than drugs. When I am doing well I only go to the prescription pain meds a couple times a month. In a bad month it can be daily. My kidneys give me a hard time as well and whatever I feel like crap a lot. I don't know what it is to not be tired except for maybe an hour or two in the mornings. Some mornings. I would like to learn about herbal medicine and food therapies to help myself. I hate pills, I know that my body is happy when I am moving and strong. I am very weak right now after the problems last spring. I know a source. What is stopping me?

Cyndi, thank you for this. I am now feeling motivated to learn what to do to help me and that is the best way to help my family.

I really love Owls!

pcbatiks
October 1st, 2013, 01:12 AM
I enjoy taking pictures.....wished I would have learned more about photography when I was younger. Right now I want to learn more about different quilting techniques.

Just cut out something else for my SS......will sew it up tomorrow! Good night owls!

Hulamoon
October 1st, 2013, 01:26 AM
When I was in high school we took a trip to the desert. We were learning the different levels of elevation and how the plant's change. We had to collect plants, seeds, rocks. It wasn't really the desert anymore when you keep traveling up.

So all the fun insued, but a girl had a seizure. I think it was epileptic. too long ago to remember. But she was fine. That reminds me of a young girl that was working in a hotel bakery with me at night. She was washing pans and went into one of those and scared the heck out of me because I was alone with her. She just fell back. Thank god for the phone on the wall!

Oh, back to clouds. In college I had a teacher have us go outside and study. He was so cool. We would stand outside and take notes. he was one of my favorites. He did the what is the rock thing too.

I love to learn stuff.

toggpine
October 1st, 2013, 01:39 AM
There is always something to learn. I can't think of one specific thing at the moment. I'm sure it will come to me once I log off. We have an early & busy day tomorrow. So it's good that the early owl was out tonight!

I'll catch you all tomorrow!

bhaggerty
October 1st, 2013, 01:57 AM
Waxing and waning gibbous
Waxing and waning crescents
Full, new, last & first quarters...
What am I?

Phases of the moon...

Each phase of the moon lasts 3.6 days

Whoooooo. Whooooo!
Good night all ye night owls!!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 1st, 2013, 04:00 AM
Speaking of clouds, we saw so many kinds as we drove across Missouri yesterday. First, there were the puffy kind, then a thick low cloud deck, then a high wispy kind of cloud. As the sun shone through the last clouds, we saw a SUNDOG, which is a rainbow refraction to the side of the sun on the clouds. I believe it is supposed to bring good luck if you spot a sundog! They are magical to see!!

Granny Judy
October 1st, 2013, 04:06 AM
Well, I am learning stuff from just getting here and catching up with all the other Owls!! I never gave it much thought, except to enjoy the clouds during the day and catch the phase of the Moon when I planted my garden. I learned to plant according the the phases of the moon. Above ground crops on the ascend or new moon phase.. below ground crops on the waning of the moon.

I am learning the different techniques of rubber stamping. There are so many inks that I'll be broke if I tried to buy one of each.. whee, then there are the embossing powders!! expensive to say the least, but I do enjoy the hand coloring with markers and chalks!!

(I've been told I'm going thru my 2nd childhood...--- ... nope it's my 3rd or 4th: I lost count back in the 80's with my Tribal Dancing and costumes)

turena65
October 1st, 2013, 04:28 AM
Shoot! I wish my daughter was awake (not really) because she remembers the classifications of clouds that she learned clear back in the second grade and could tell me in a second what kind of clouds those are....

Actually, what I have wanted to learn more about but never did was what I am doing right now, quilting. I decided one day to take a class to learn to do something that I always want to learn how to do. How happy I am that it has turned into such a wonderful and fulfilling hobby. Are there other things I want to learn and do? Of course there are. Perhaps, like quilting, I can continue to learn new things and skills throughout my life.... I hope that my desire to learn and grow and discover new things that I always wanted to learn, will make me not only a better, well rounded person, but also help me to discover talents I didn't know that I had!

Have a great night my fellow Owls!! :)

MayinJerset
October 1st, 2013, 04:35 AM
Hoot, Hoot, Everyone, Just woke up for the 2nd time. First time I told myself I didn't have to go to the bathroom and rolled over and went back to sleep but this time I HAVE to go to the bathroom. Oh, the joys of being on HBP meds.

Humm, What do I wish I should have learned more about? Went back to school as an adult and got my AA in Art when I was 60 so I have already done what I always wanted to do when I was young. Also learned to paint and did that for about 30 years, always some new way to apply the paint or mix it to get different results. Still don't know that much about art and would like to learn more. About 14 years ago I wanted to learn how to quilt so I took a week long Elderhostel course at a craft center in W VA. Quilting is an never ending subject to learn. OH, so many more things, just watching one episode of Jeopardy shows me subjects I wish I knew more about. Wish I could read all the books I'm interested in or was fluent in another language. Better stop wishing my life away and do something about it.

dwil23
October 1st, 2013, 05:48 AM
I wish I had paid more attention in History class. Yes, I could learn it now, but it would have been easier back then. I had more time and space in the brain. I also wish I had committed more of the Bible to memory than I have.

Lindagie
October 1st, 2013, 08:50 AM
Well, I don't know why I am up at this hour and can't go back to sleep. It is still dark outside. Guess I'll just go have some coffee and get an early start on the day for a change!
I wish I had learned to speak Italian when I was little. I could learn now, but it would have been so much easier back then. I wish I would have learned more about the grandparent's family in Italy as well. They didn't talk much about it, and they only spoke Italian to their friends and our parents, esp. when they didn't want the children to know what they were talking about. LOL!

I always wanted to learn to play a guitar, and I should have practiced more as a child on the piano. I don't know if my fingers could maneuver as well anymore to learn guitar. I also wish I would have kept up with this quilting thing 40 years ago when I took a class on it, but better late than never. I'm learning something every day with this newfound interest in quilting.

There are SOOOOOO many things that I would love to learn more about, and I agree that watching Jeopardy makes me realize how much I don't know. I'm sure I will think of a lot of other things that I want to learn more about; my brain is not fully engaged at the moment, so I'm going for the coffee! Good Morning everyone!!

Lindagie
October 1st, 2013, 04:18 PM
Guess I really am a thread killer.

easyquilts
October 1st, 2013, 05:00 PM
It's 3:30pm, but the little fog had me up very, early.... He is up and down from 3:30-4:30...goes out (the other little dog had joined us by then)....if it is close to five, I feed them....if nit, we all trek back go bed, where I am to awake to doe do, so hit the iPad....as soon as I start to drift off, he needs a drink,,, this goes on for what seems like hours.... This morning, when we got up for the Big Drink, I just stayed up.... Why fight it.... Let's face it.... Finn (see picture above) has me pretty well trained...

I wish I had learned to really cook.... I watch a lot of cooking competitions on the Food Network, and those chefs amaze me, with their knowledge of food. I've bern stuck cooking pretty much the same things for 45 years of marriage....my husband does nit like anything different I can count on one hand the number of meals he will eat. Roast, Meatloaf, pork chops, fried chicken, hamburgers..... These things are I dully accompanied by fried, baked or mashed potatoes, baked beans, or chips....Lays... That's pretty much it. Nothing ethnic, not even Italian (which I think is un- American). ) Oh, and wings... He loves those, but only certan ones. I used to try to introduce more interesting choices, but they never "took .

I gave a friend, who lives in Texas...who is a real gourmet.... Her dinners sound wonderful.... And, I have another friend who has been a personal chef, and whose husband likes variety.

So.... I wish I had learned to really cook....to understand how to affectively use herbs and spices,... Maybe if I had, I wouldn't 't dread cooking supper every night.....

Sorry to get on my soapbox.....

Miss Sheri
October 1st, 2013, 05:10 PM
It's 3:30pm, but the little fog had me up very, early.... He is up and down from 3:30-4:30...goes out (the other little dog had joined us by then)....if it is close to five, I feed them....if nit, we all trek back go bed, where I am to awake to doe do, so hit the iPad....as soon as I start to drift off, he needs a drink,,, this goes on for what seems like hours.... This morning, when we got up for the Big Drink, I just stayed up.... Why fight it.... Let's face it.... Finn (see picture above) has me pretty well trained...

I wish I had learned to really cook.... I watch a lot of cooking competitions on the Food Network, and those chefs amaze me, with their knowledge of food. I've bern stuck cooking pretty much the same things for 45 years of marriage....my husband does nit like anything different I can count on one hand the number of meals he will eat. Roast, Meatloaf, pork chops, fried chicken, hamburgers..... These things are I dully accompanied by fried, baked or mashed potatoes, baked beans, or chips....Lays... That's pretty much it. Nothing ethnic, not even Italian (which I think is un- American). ) Oh, and wings... He loves those, but only certan ones. I used to try to introduce more interesting choices, but they never "took .

I gave a friend, who lives in Texas...who is a real gourmet.... Her dinners sound wonderful.... And, I have another friend who has been a personal chef, and whose husband likes variety.

So.... I wish I had learned to really cook....to understand how to affectively use herbs and spices,... Maybe if I had, I wouldn't 't dread cooking supper every night.....

Sorry to get on my soapbox.....

I have a hubby like that too! The worst question in the world is, "What's for dinner?" Then you go through a list of 'possibilities' until they tell you what they feel like eating. If they would just say, "Lets have _____ for dinner." I would be happy to make whatever they suggest, [they in my household, because my kids are at times just as naughty as their dad in this one thing.] I just hate trying to figure out what to make every night. I have even tried to plan meals a week or a month at a time so I can have things thawed the day before in the fridge, and shop with specifics, but those plans failed too because what was on the list, wasn't always appealing in the moment it was meant to be created. Oh, my dear, I feel your pain! :icon_stunned:

janluna
October 1st, 2013, 05:36 PM
It's nice to know about this thread, as I spend a lot of nights awake with nothing to do. I read a lot. I would go and sew, except my sewing machine in in the same room as my birds. And "Night Owls" they are not! lol If I turn on the light by the machine, or even just the machine light, they all start screeching away and scolding me for waking them up! LOL They are so set in their ways. So, I read. Now, I can talk to all of you. It won't bother Joe, as I can turn on a Megawatt lamp and invite a marching band in, and he still won't wake up. So, my laptop and I will be around on those nights I am up, don't want to read, and need company! Thanks for being here!
As far as learning, I wish I had gone to medical school. Right now of course, quilting is on my mind. I would also like to learn more about aroma therapy, history,other countries, our laws and how they do or don't work. I would love to know about our country's history, and also about our county now. The difference between one state and another, the people who settled those states, and their counterparts today. I would love to know about some old laws that are still on the books, but no one pays attention to today. And why they are still in effect. I guess I want to know about everything!!! LOL Hugs, Jan L.