PDA

View Full Version : Thursday's can be tricky

Blondie
March 24th, 2011, 07:33 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/gm/coffee6.gif

Good Morning Ladies
What a long night! Thunderstorms rolled through with lots of wind. Lightning lit the sky often. Won't know until the sun is up if anything was blown too far away.

Listening to Lenie's son Niels play his music on Youtube as I type this. He really is a good talent. I love sax. He has good control as well. Once again, Lenie, congrats. He is also fairly tall, am I right? He looks taller than the teacher/judge.

Gina, I know you are excited about the move. And kids DO seem to keep their germs passing around. Don't miss that part of child rearing.

Going to work this morning. Need to jump in the shower and get myself together, blow the cobbies out of my head.

I am still over the moon about the dresden fan blocks that arrived. I have them laid out in the living room, admiring them quite a bit last evening. Thanks again Ladies for all your industrious work. Weren't they fun?

Have a wonderful day; will try to check in later this afternoon/evening.

rebeccas-sewing
March 24th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Hi Blondie,

I sure am sorry I missed out on the fan swap! Looking forward to receiving all those "Wild Animal" ones.

Lenie
March 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Thank you so much for your compliments. I wasn't sure about posting about this, but I wanted to share this so much.
Niels is really tall indeed, 1,90 meter almost! (the converter tells me that's 6,16 feet LOL)
Have a good day, Blondie. My day is filled with cleaning house, but I hope to get outside now and then, because we have Spring here. The sun is doing a real good job today !! Still need to put on a jacket, because it is not that warm yet.

bakermom
March 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Up waaaaaaaaay too early this morning ( I work nights)but DD and I are headed to the quilt/sewing expo. She wants to get there when it opens. good mom that i am i'll sacrifice my sleep for her. LOL
It snowed overnight but i think we dodged the freezing rain.

ginampls
March 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM
thanks blondie... i am just so cabin fevered... and then DD new cough... i am goingto call manager to new place today... to find out the power company phone company... cable .... good thing i have plenty of time.. don't want any surprises... like oh you need to put down a deposit... shazam that would just set me off. so trying to keep things in order...

so i talked to my mom, she had a great idea!! sending my lil brother... to my place to help me sort toss and pack.... i begged her to talk him into it... since he has no emotional attachment to any of my things.. could make it go fast... but... today i will just organize the power phone and that kind of stuff.

and the black and white fan was a great block. they went to so fast... had them done in like no time.. will make that block again.. too... so off to get details from new apt... will catch you all up later...

patticakes
March 24th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Hi Quilty Sistahs....
I listened to Lenie's son also, very talented young man. Love the sound of a sax....soulful for sure!
Got my fan blocks yesterday also and had some fun playing around with them. They are all so beautiful! I am going to sash them with solid black and get a black and white fabric for the back and binding. It's gonna go on my couch.
Tired today even though I got home from work at 4 pm yesterday, ate an early dinner and promptly fell asleep til 9 pm. I then did dishes and played around with the blocks, check out blogs then went to bed. BF was off on a bus trip to the city for a Blackhawks game and called me at 12:30 pm for a ride home. I promised to always be his designated driver rather than risk a DUI or worse. When I finally got settled back into slumberland the smoke alarm started chirping. We just changed the battery so who knows what was going on.
Very grateful not to see any white stuff on the car this morning! Very cold and windy with wind chill in the teens. Busy purging more at the store but shipping has been put on hold til I hear from owner again. I can only stay busy to ward off the frustration!
Well...back to the grind!
See you round like a donut!
Patti

Sandy Navas
March 24th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Good morning - I'm freezing here!! Patti I share your thoughts about no white stuff outside! We are seeing forecasts for some in the near future though. Just think, it was 85 degrees F here just a couple days ago.

Gonna be a busy day away from the sewing machine today. A couple birthdays - DGD Michelle turns 9 today. My mother turns 95 tomorrow. Have follow up eye exam this afternoon and that will definitely wear me out.

Spent most of the day sewing yesterday though. Have Zoe's quilt pinned so I can start machine quilting tomorrow. Made over half a dozen Wild Thing blocks for the swap. Finished my BOM for the local quilt guild, and have started thinking about fabrics to make stars for the MODA 'Just one Star" program for our military.

Gotta pick up Amanda for work - hope everyone has a great day. Stay warm, busy, healthy, and energized!

suzette58
March 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM
We had the same storm roll through up here in Northern Virginia about 9pm. I have a dog that is about 16 years old and afraid of storms. I had to sleep on the couch so I was near him. It's the only way he will relax. I bought a Janome Horizon off eBay this week. Can't wait to get it. Today after work and after hubby goes to work I plan on working on my stars for the Moda quilts. Have a great day.

toggpine
March 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Good Morning!
Somebody forgot to put Emily in her pull-ups last night before bed. (BAD MOMMA!) So Daddy found her on the couch this morning sleeping in her t-shirt. She told him she couldn't sleep in her bed cause it was wet there. Dad got her some dry pants and a pair of pull-up diapers and tucked her into bed with me. I went down to strip the bed and get the bedding started in the wash. After repeatedly tell her that I was NOT mad at her for having an accident she finally snuggled down and went back to bed for a few more hours. 5 AM is not the best time for her to get up and still have a productive and whine free day.
So my new machine gets to try to wash the blankets today. The bin is big enough for it, but the water level may not get high enough to clean them. I can see that I'm going to have to laminated the sheet with the different cycles on it and post it on the freezer so I can keep track of which one does what.
So far the washer sounds like a bread machine, the dryer is blissfully shriek-free and hasn't eaten anything! We could actually sleep through the sounds that they make, even when I left the baby monitor on at that end of the house.
I hear that you all are making your Wild Thing blocks and I haven't even managed to decide which one I really want to make. I may have to make one of each to decide which I like better. I could always take the easy way out and let you vote for which one you all like best. Hmmm.
Well, I gotta scoot myself. Thursday is our busy day around here!
Take care!
Cathy

ginampls
March 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM
oh those were some of the best years... when they don't like the wettness... all growing experience for both mommy and toddler...

Blondie
March 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Hi ladies
Breezing in for a quick lunch and potty break for Miss Gracie, my half pint princess.
Of course, I am sitting here, munching on a PBJ while reading here. Sigh. I am SOOOOO not right. I should be walking around outside with Gracie, picking up tree debris from the storm last evening but that can wait. Like my house cleaning, it will hold long enough for me to peek in and wave at everyone.
Gina, you are wise to get all the info and pertinent things lined up for the new apt.
Suzette, that was one wicked storm. Our old bassett used to tremble and whine terribly during storms. Gracie seems to be oblivious to them so far. Let me know what you think of the new machine when it comes. I am so wanting a new machine but have no justification ~ yet. LOL.
And Ladies, we are supposed to get a hard freeze this weekend. I want no more white stuff this season. We sure had aplenty for us this past winter. Hope that it passes y'all by. And Sandy, we had 80- degrees the other day and now we are back in light jackets or sweats. Crazy weather this time of year, to be certain!
Okay, gals, gots to run run run or I'll be late for Ms. Martin, my spry 95 year old. She still drives, lives alone and is quite the inspiration for me. I can only hope that should the Lord tarry and I live to be that age, I will be as gracious, alert and healthy as she is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/friends/Baby001-1.jpg

toggpine
March 24th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Blondie: She is beautiful! Certainly an inspiration for us all!

Sorry about my discombobulated post earlier. I was in a bit of a hurry! Emily is 5 now and does really well during the day with keeping her big girl panties dry. At night she hasn't figured out that she needs to wake up yet. Sometimes she's still dry in the morning, but not always. Hence the reason I'm washing all of her bedding. Thankfully it did not make it to the mattress. The waterproof mattress pad WILL be going down with the re-making of the bed.

I am off to return some books at the library, leave some $ at the bank, and if I have time, stop at HomeDepot to find the thing to fix the toilet, since my husband is to lazy to do it. (He admitted it, I'm just repeating what he said!) While I am there, I may see what they have for spring color for the two big bowls on my deck railing. The bare dirt was better than the dead plants from last year, but now, I think I want some pretty pansies or something. I have a Christmas gift card that should let me get a couple pretties for the planters.
Catch you all later!
Cathy

quiltingtrish
March 24th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Hi everyone! Chilly here again too - they are saying that we may get some snow on Sunday and it should be the last of it for the year. I'll take them up on that one!

Well, home alone here again tonight. I have the choice of either sewing or working on the taxes. Hmmmmm. I want to work on my sewing but need to do 3 sets of taxes - ours, then DS#1, and DS#2. Can't do Odie's until he gets me his W2 from the Marines. Maybe if the government shuts down and doesn't pay my son then I can shut down too and not pay the government - don't think that would work too well though. I think I am going to work on my sewing. Really not in the mood to figure out money tonight.

Haven't finished a thing from my UFO pile for February or March - that just isn't acceptable in my mind. Guess I better get my hiney moving here. I'll check back in later and post what I decided to do.

Hugs,

patticakes
March 24th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Quick check in as I wait for the train to leave the station, it's now official, store will be closed as of next Tuesday! Now the craziness of the logistics of it all will start! Thank you all for letting me vent on here and share that I can't wait for it all to be over to start my "quilting therapy" vacation!
Hope everyone has a good evening!
Off like a dirty shirt....
Patti

sally
March 24th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Happy Thurs...well I want to be. For some reason I am in a funk...maybe it is the grey cool day. Really don't know. Had a run in with a coworker yesterday and it has drained me emotionally. Somedays I wonder how I will get through 3.5 more years:(. On a good note i went to the fabric store 50 % off day and got some material to make a yo yo quilt with a 30/40's flair. I have a yo yo maker and it works great. Something I can do in the evenings when watching tv with my hubby when he is on day shift. Other 2 weeks I I am upstiars in my sewing rooom. Ayone here ever made a yo yo quilt before.

middlesis1966
March 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hey girls, hows it going? Pretty darn good here. Its always a good time after 4:00, LOL. Thats quiting time at the salt mines. Whew its a rough job but this chic can handle it, lol. Never knew paperwork could be so hard.
Blondie thanks for the picture. I hope Im doing that good at her age. She has been a blessing to me in more ways then you will ever know. Praying for her took my mind off my troubles. Im so glad she os doing so well.
Cathy I have been there done that and I feel for ya girl. Potty training, whew that can be a hair puller. Yes 5 am at any age os a bit early, lol.
Patti I know that you will get thru this. You are a strong woman!
Jan I miss you!

quiltingtrish
March 24th, 2011, 08:56 PM
At least you finally have an answer Patti. Not the one you wanted I'm sure, but now maybe the guesswork is out of the inevitable 'when'.
A yo-yo quilt. Made a table topper - don't think I have a photo of it though for you. I took a friend of mine to The Old Country Store and she fell in love with a small table topper made out of yo-yo's and it was something like $40 or $50! So I made her one. I did somehow sew the circles together backwards and had to take them all out and redo them, so watch when you sew them together. Oh, please don't ask me what backwards is cause I don't remember, just remember re-doing all of them. Maybe watch a tutorial to make sure they get sewed together right which is what I should have done first. Maybe it was just my craziness that I did it wrong. Anyways, too easy to pay that much money for a table topper. I have one of those yo-yo makers too so I guess someday I'll make me one.
I am sewing tonight. Got 2 of the 10 minute blocks put together with the True Blue from Eleanor Burns. They turned out pretty. When I get a bunch, I'll get a photo.

Well, better go get some more made or I'll never get a quilt made from them. haha.
Hugs,

Onetiredmomma
March 24th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Good evening, ladies! I'm going to be cutting fabric tonight. I've got too many projects going at once. This week I've got to finish the blocks for my class and I'm determined to do my test block for the Wild Swap and cut all the rest. I've got meetings and an open house to prep for Saturday. It's going to be the second busy weekend in a row. I'm going to crash soon even though it's just the beginning of our busy season. I'm in trouble if everything continues at this pace! Oh well. I'm sorry im not able
To comment as thoroughly on everyone's posts but Im just stopping by and barely checking in most days. Have a nice night everyone!

Sandy Navas
March 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM
A Quickie Couple: Trish - I'm laughing at your yo-yos being sewn backwards as the first thing that crossed my mind was "Turn it over."

Blondie - that 95 year old client healthwise reminds me of Mom - she's stronger than an ox even though the mind is gone. Took 20 minutes to get her out of the car at the dentist on Tuesday because neither my sister nor I could get her to unclasp the seatbelt. Saw her this morning and she screwed up her face and pointed at me saying "You ought to be ashamed of yourself." And I have no idea what she said after that but she did read me the riot act. I know she doesn't know who I am most of the time so there is no shame there . . .

janluna
March 24th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hello everyone, we got 6 inches of snow. It started sunday and snowed til yesterday. Oh well, maybe that was the last hurrah! How is everyone? I talked to Gina today. She got her blocks and was very excited. The mail hadn't come here yet. But guess what mine were there too!!! Blondie thank you for the gift. I love your block. I love all the blocks. I was a little disappointed that not everyone signed them but I'll try and match them up. Thank you to all the swappers. It's been fun. Hugs, Jan

patticakes
March 25th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Hi again! Late night/ early morning post cuz I can't sleep.
Sandy reading about your Mother reminded of a movie I saw in which the woman was worried that as her illness advanced she knew she would not remember her loved ones and they said don't worry we will remember for you. That touched me & I can't imagine going through that with a parent. My thoughts are with you tonight.
Jan wasn't it so much fun to open your squishy package and see all the swap blocks? Yours turned out lovely! Can't wait to get this one together! Sorry about your snow, we are supposed to get some on Saturday but this time of year one warm day & it's all gone.
Well thanks for putting your thoughts and quietly inspirations on here. Think I will try to go to sleep with visions of quilts I want to do someday.....off to dreamland.

rebeccas-sewing
March 25th, 2011, 05:56 AM
What a lovely lady! Man, I hope I look that good at that age! I love her hair! I assume you're responsible for that cute cut and curl! LOL

Hi ladies
Breezing in for a quick lunch and potty break for Miss Gracie, my half pint princess.
Of course, I am sitting here, munching on a PBJ while reading here. Sigh. I am SOOOOO not right. I should be walking around outside with Gracie, picking up tree debris from the storm last evening but that can wait. Like my house cleaning, it will hold long enough for me to peek in and wave at everyone.
Gina, you are wise to get all the info and pertinent things lined up for the new apt.
Suzette, that was one wicked storm. Our old bassett used to tremble and whine terribly during storms. Gracie seems to be oblivious to them so far. Let me know what you think of the new machine when it comes. I am so wanting a new machine but have no justification ~ yet. LOL.
And Ladies, we are supposed to get a hard freeze this weekend. I want no more white stuff this season. We sure had aplenty for us this past winter. Hope that it passes y'all by. And Sandy, we had 80- degrees the other day and now we are back in light jackets or sweats. Crazy weather this time of year, to be certain!
Okay, gals, gots to run run run or I'll be late for Ms. Martin, my spry 95 year old. She still drives, lives alone and is quite the inspiration for me. I can only hope that should the Lord tarry and I live to be that age, I will be as gracious, alert and healthy as she is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/friends/Baby001-1.jpg