PDA

View Full Version : Twelve Angry Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
September 30th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Here at the Vortex, we are a family of bibliophiles. "Biblio" is the Greek word for book, and "phile" means love. We love books. This is evident as soon as you walk into our house. We cram bookcases into every space possible. They are in the kitchen, study, living room, hallway and bedrooms. There's an overflow pile of books on the stairs and my room has them stacked here and there. Yes, there are books in the bathroom.

I have always loved books. I like all kinds of books, too. Historical fiction, biographies, novels, gardening, theology, quilting, the list goes on and on.

Last summer I read through some of my favorites from when I was a young girl. "Shadow Castle" was one of them, along with "The Mystery of the Witch's Bridge." I still remember ordering them from the Scholastic Book Club in 5th grade.

Maybe my very favorite one is "Understood Betsy" by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. I recommend you read it! Yes, now, as an adult. It's that good. Oh, and I can't forget "Sarah Witcher's Story" by Elizabeth Yates. I read that one every year and I start to cry at the very beginning and cry all the way through, a good cry. My family scatters when they see me pick up the book.

What books do you remember? Have you gone back to reread any of them? Do you still have some, like I do? Did your children also read them? Which ones would you recommend?

Even though we can't relive those days, we can return to some of the places, people and stories that transported us then, and can maybe they'll do it again.

Lisapc
September 30th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Books, I love them. I love the weight, the feel, the smell, the knowing that I am going to get lost for a few hours. If I was home as a teen I was either in my room, on the porch or in the woods somewhere reading a book. My mother thought I was depressed. I wasn't but if I was at home that was my chance to read.

I look through my gardening books over and over again. I save all of my books except the ones I give to my Dad. He loves to read and we like a lot of the same ones so it works. I have no books from childhood but I do remember one that I got from the Scholastic book club when I was in the second grade. Appaloosa's or something. If I knew the title I would have bought it for my daughter. It was a beautiful paper book with almost water color pictures of a young girl with different horses and they were mostly appaloosa's. I have a vivid memory of one page. When I had my own daughter I thought it was sad I didn't have that book to pass on to her. So I saved every book she ever had and they are now Peter's and becoming Kora's. I find that I am putting away a few now and then that I read to give to my daughter when her kids are a little older and she is more likely to read.

My books are on two shelves meant for books and the rest are in boxes in the garage. I should really get them out to pass along because I am not a re-reader. I get 10 pages in and I am bored because I know what is coming next.

MayinJerset
September 30th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Have to admit I haven't been reading a lot the past year or so, usually just the monthly reads for my quilt/book group. This month we're reading an old favorite, To Kill a Mockingbird. I wonder how we will react to it as we all read it many years ago. There are 8 members in our small group and we read an eclectic variety, some quilt novels, beach books, non fiction, best sellers, favorite authors and classics. We really learn much from every book we read even if it we didn't like it. Members each take a turn hosting a meeting and get to choose the next month's read. I was a bit disappointed that everyone didn't care for my last choice, The Catcher in The Rye. Maybe because most of the other members are younger than me and they weren't able to read it when it first came out and made an impact on contemporary literature. One member about my age had heard about it but it was thought of as unsuitable for her to read when she was younger.

I didn't come from a family of readers but I always loved to read and spent lots of time at the library. In grammar school I had a favorite book about a squirrel and her friends, I remember she had a nut shell hat and the book was very nicely illusrated. A Tale of Two Cities was my first favorite book, Oh that Sidney Carton was so romantic. I read a lot of John Steinbeck in high school, later The Catcher in the Rye, On The Road, Vonnegut, romance novels and classics. Over the years DH and I have read thousands of books but sadly to say we couldn't keep them all as space is limited. DH likes to read and re read books so he wants to keep everything but there comes a time that I make him go through his books and donate some to our library. Doesn't help much because he goes to the library book sales and comes home with armfuls of books - some that he had donated to the sale! Space is a problem, right now I'm sitting at my computer desk and can't put my legs under it as there are 3 boxes of my books underneath.

Books were always big for our sons growing up, they always had a book shelve or shelves in their room beginning with The Cat in the Hat. My sons all are big readers, especially my son Pat. My granddaughter Catherine has borrowed books from me, last were the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. All my grandkids get books from me, not so much the college to 30's age ones any longer but they did when they were younger. I used to give them a Wish List for Christmas and there was a line to write down the books they were wishing for. Son Bob's girls all wanted Little House on the Prairie books. Books have always been gifts to my great grandsons since before they were born and also all of, sisters and brothers grandkids. I hope they continue my love of reading.

I wonder how today's readers will 'remember' their favorite books, reading them on Kindle is a lot different than turning the pages of print books.

Granny Judy
September 30th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Didn't have many books available when I was growing up , but I became an avid reader.. I mean AVID. I devoured books up until my accident in 1988 where/ when I lost most of my eye sight & could no longer read printed books. Then I was introduced to Talking Books and I again found my love of books. Still do and belong to Audible where I get a free book each month and all the other books available. Just got a new Ipod and take it everywhere I go.. even in the house.

I bought all my children books as I read to them each evening.. Paternal Grandmother was a teacher and she read to them when they visited.. it was fun to watch them grow and change their reading taste. Son always travels with talking books. DD#1 reads daily, DD#2 has a house full of books and 2 kindles where she has a huge library. I can go there anytime and grab a free book on my kindle or Ipod.

bkthomas
September 30th, 2013, 01:38 AM
Oh, thought you were all crazy for the Bible! hehe
Not that that's a bad thing! (Seinfeld) sorry if you don't get that!

I wanted books for Christmas one year when I was about 11 or 12. Did I get Little House....noooo......Nancy Drew....noooo
Trixie Belden, that's what I got! Ever heard of her? Oh don't get me wrong, I liked the books, I just wonder if anyone else ever read them!

cyndiofthevortex
September 30th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Kathy, I still have my Trixie Belden books! I even know right where they are in the house. Next time you visit I'll make sure they're in the guest room under the reading light!

shannonsaulter
September 30th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I love Nancy Drew books, and right now am reading a series of books by Patrick Taylor which are his Irish Country Dr series...LOVE!!

bkthomas
September 30th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Kathy, I still have my Trixie Belden books! I even know right where they are in the house. Next time you visit I'll make sure they're in the guest room under the reading light!

Are you my twin?!!!! Man, I knew we had stuff in common, Oh My Gosh!! How cool is that?!!!!

Lindagie
September 30th, 2013, 01:49 AM
I just remember reading all of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries as a kid; also the Sue Barton nurse series. We have so many books here; alot of them from my parent's house. They were both avid readers. They had a variety from birds, gardening, historical; both fact and fiction. My mom traded novels with several people, so there are all kinds of those; some I have read, some I will read; others have gone to the library for their sale. I really need to donate some more this year for their upcoming sale. I also have alot of quilting/craft books and cookbooks.

I remember reading Catcher in the Rye years ago, especially since we were not supposed to read it. One of my favorite books is "Time and Again". I read it a long time ago, and would like to read it again soon. I rarely reread anything. I loved all of the Maeve Binchy novels; sorry she passed away and we won't see any more novels from her. I always felt like her characters were "real", not the usual perfect, great-looking, sexy, rich characters in alot of author's novels. THere are just so many to mention, really.

bkthomas
September 30th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Sue Barton, yep I read those too!!!

Musical_Starling
September 30th, 2013, 02:55 AM
I know I'll probably be the only one to say this, but my favourite books were Goosebumps and Fear Street! lol Now I love Patricia Cornwell, I actually have two on my nightstand that I haven't read yet, and that's odd for me! I read all three Hunger Games books within a 48 hour period last winter during a power outage. Well the power was out, it was freezing cold, what else was there to do? lol For The Giant's birthday I found an "adult" R.L. Stine book (and no, I don't mean "dirty" adult, just not meant for kids lol) so I picked it up because he loved R.L. Stine when he was a kid too, but I was also a bit selfish because I want to read it too :icon_giggle: I actually started to read by age three (thank you Speak & Spell!) and haven't stopped since. A friend of ours still bugs me to this day because he's three years older than me and used to be my "book buddy" in school (a program where older kids read to younger kids) and I used to get frustrated when he couldn't pronounce half of the words and I would take the book away and would be the one reading to him instead lol What can I say, I love books!

As much as I love books though, I can't do the kindle thing! I need to feel the paper and physically turn the pages and feel the weight of the book. A screen does nothing for me.

Andrea F
September 30th, 2013, 02:59 AM
When I grew up we had no books, my mother wasnīt a reader. But one of the very first books I read when I had my own space was a book from Marion Zimmer-Bradley, The Mists of Avalon. I loved it so much that I read the whole night because I couldnīt put it away. I think I have almost every book she ever wrote. I love the Darkover Series and I have read several of them several times. I really do like fantasy literature of any kind. If I really liked a book I will read it again but there has to be some time between the reads. We also have a lot of books in our house because my DH and DS#2 love to read too. DS#1 likes books but he listens to them. I donīt like listening to books, it takes too long. I am much faster when I read them myself...

Hulamoon
September 30th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Interesting topic. I grew up with National Geographic and Readers Digest. The later being my love of spelling and meanings. But on the other end I had some weird books in the house. A book about ww2. It was filled with horrible pictures.

My favorite was when I found the book Gone With The Wind in the house. I think I was twelve. Then I watched the movie. In the book Scarlett was so much nicer. I do love that movie though.

I moved on to Poe and science fiction and fantasy. I'm not into romance.

toggpine
September 30th, 2013, 03:20 AM
I'm a reader here too! I remember Mrs.Piggle Wiggle, The Boxcar Children, all of Madeline L'Engle's stuff. One year for Christmas my sister hunted down a book called Seven Daughters and Seven Sons by Barbara Cohen & Bahija Lovejoy. I first read it in middle school. It tells the story of a Arab girl who's father has 7 daughters and is not very wealthy. One of the daughters disguises herself as a boy and through her quick wits earns a fortune. She now can shape her own destiny.
I am also an audio book "reader". I don't have much time to just sit and read a regular book, as much as I'd love to. So I squeeze in my reading in the car and while I sew. I'm a mystery fan. I have been addicted to J. D. Robb for a while. I have recently found Cleo Coyle and the Coffee House Mystery series and the library is getting them in stock now. Patricia Cornwell is good. I do have to edit what I listen to in the car as the little miss is old enough to understand the swear words, etc. Thankfully they make audio books for kids too. So we listen to some of those too.
There have been one or two that I can't get through because of the narrator, but surprisingly few. I have also found a few authors I can't listen to because of their writing style. One author pads her writing with paraphrasing. It really shows up when you have to listen to it and can't just skip over it.

Well, I suppose I had better get off of here as I can hear the wind starting to kick up. We are due for some really strong winds and more rain. I need to go shut down the rest of the electronics too. The critters are all tucked up in the barns nice and dry for the night. Here is to hoping the roof stays on the buck shed!

ilive2craft2
September 30th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Also a Trixie Belden fan! Mom sold my books at a garage sale. I have started replacing them, but don't have all of them yet. I do read them again when I find one that I don't have. I have spent most of my life with my nose in a book.

My son is also now a reader, but it took awhile and the Harry Potter series really helped. We would read it aloud together, but I would only read aloud one chapter--he got so interested he started reading ahead. He didn't realize that I was reading ahead after he went to bed. We did the midnight trips and parties as the next books came out and stay up for hours reading the newest book. We reread the previous books in the series every time a new one came our. Later on we read the Ender's Game series (really good sci if). Have read a lot of different types of books, but mostly fiction. Have read the Hunger Games series and the Pathfinder series so far. Just finished the Outlander series (including the John Grey books) from a recommendation here on the forum.

I swore I would not like a Kindle for all of the reasons mentioned above and the additional reason that I am cheap and bought a lot of books at garage sales. However, my son bought me one of the first ones and I love it! It has the 3G so no matter where I am, I can have lots of books with me or buy a new book.

bkthomas
September 30th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Oh yeah! The Boxcar Children, Thanks for the reminder Cathy!

Sheena
September 30th, 2013, 05:11 AM
When I was little my Dad's cousin gave me a book that was hers when she was little and funnily enough I was looking at it last night. It's called 'The Mary Francis Story Book' and it's dated 1925. I thought I'd read a bit of it because I felt guilty for never reading it to the end. :(

Cathy F
September 30th, 2013, 06:20 AM
I think I inherited my love of books from my mother who was also an avid reader. I was an only child for a number of years and my books became my companions, I was never bored a book could keep me entertained for hours. My favorite books growing up were the Nancy Drew ones. I had a set that were my mother's when she was young complete with black & white photos with a sheet of a protective tissue paper page over them. I read those books over and over again!
Two years ago Dh gave me a Nook, I didn't think I would like it as I enjoy holding book in my hands. I got a cover for it and now it feels like I'm holding a book, but the best part is the almost 500 books I have on it are no longer taking up space in the already overcrowded closets full of them, where I can never find the one I'm looking for when I want it.

Carol336
September 30th, 2013, 06:53 AM
I have always loved reading. Was never much of a book collector except for my cookbooks. I must have about 200 hundred of them, and love nothing more than to just grab a stack and sit down with a nice cuppa on a chilly day and peruse the recipes. Not looking for anything particular to cook, just love reading them. My Mom was the same and my little sis too.
Now with that being said.....I was a avid reader as a child....Nancy Drew was of course a favorite and any mystery I could get my hands on. Also loved Poe. DH is not a reader, so most of the books in the house belong to me. We have 2 sons and only the youngest is a reader, loving mysteries as much as his Mom, and also a huge Poe fan.
I always had a book in my hand...in fact one of my son's friends remarked to me one day "Mrs Cross, everytime I come into your house you're reading a book"

Unfortunately I put my books down many years ago because of poor eyesite. The progressive lens glasses were great for many things, but not reading. After only a few mins reading my eyes would tire and become watery. After a while I realized that I wasn't reading anymore. Very sad indeed.

Then one day about 3 years ago, my DDIL handed me her Kindle and said I should give it a try....I was skeptical to say the least....but WOW - with a little adjustment on the print size - I could read again. So now my best friend is my Kindle....never leave home without it. I'm happily plowing through the 20 some years of books that I missed out on and loving life again. My kids laugh at me because I go to bed most nights at 7 or 8 - what the can't seem to remember is that I'm curled up with my Kindle until about 11 or 12 - LOL.

Doloris
September 30th, 2013, 08:44 AM
I read all the Bobbsey Twins and I LOVED Mrs Piggle Wiggle. A few years ago I found a Mrs Piggle Wiggle book at a garage sale that had about 20 stories in it. I gave it to a great niece for her birthday and she loved it. I missed it and then found another in another garage sale and bought it for myself. LOL. Always young at heart. I still read all the time and have the Nook and the Nook Tablet. Never leave home without it.

Grandma G
September 30th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Well, I'm not exactly a night owl like y'all are although there are plenty of nights that find me reading at 2:00 or 3:00 in the a.m. because I can't sleep. I am a book lover and have been all my life. When I was a child it was a means of escape from a not so pleasant childhood. Now I read because I really love books. I held out on getting a Kindle because an e-reader is so thin you lose that sense of holding a book which is part of the reading experience. Then my kids gave me one for Christmas a few years ago and I have to say I really love it. I take it everywhere with me and is easy to read in bed without disturbing my DH.

Now, boy, do I remember Trixie Belden! I just went to my book stash and found 2 Trixie Belden books that survived the last 50 plus years of moving. I have a few other books from that same period but I always remember my Trixie Belden books. Was never a really big Nancy Drew fan. I just dug them out and took a photo but for some reason I can't get it to post. Darn... One is
"Trixie Belden and the Red Trailer Mystery" and the other is "Trixie Belden and the Mystery in Arizona".

I enjoy reading your "night owl" threads.

Hey Cyndi - how are the changing of the leaves going? We are headed to Rhode Island next weekend and I sure hope I'm greeted with lots of fall colors!!

MayinJerset
September 30th, 2013, 10:14 AM
It's officially morning and I've read and re read last night's posts. Realized I didn't mention that when our sons were young they read many of the same books as DH and I read because the books were here in the house. I never monitored their reading as I read all kinds of books when I was young. None of the boys seem to have taken up DH's interest in history, English mysteries and westerns, although DS#3 and DH read like Robert Parker's Spenser series. DH has many of Parker's Jesse Stone series but I'd rather watch Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone on TV. Have to ask sons and grandkids what they are reading now, DIL's don't seem to be readers but they have always made sure their kids have plenty of books.

Really was a Night Owl last night as I kept myself up remembering books that I have read and loved, too numerous to list. I don't usually re read them but have followed some author's like Patricia Cornwell, Dick (can't think of last name) English author who writes about horse racing, Barbara Kingsolver, Alice Hoffman, Jane Smiley to name a few. I almost always finish a book even if I don't care for it. Think my time spent here on the computer has caused a decline in my reading, can't give either of them up.

cyndiofthevortex
September 30th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I have just loved reading all of your posts! You've all helped me remember old friends and given me ideas for some new ones.

I hope some of the Day Larks that read this thread will chirp in and tell us about their favorites!

pcbatiks
September 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
This is a great thread! I love to read........I guess I inherited that from my parents. They read all the time. My 1st books were a gift from one of my aunts for my 1st birthday. She gave me 13 of the small story books......Little Elf brand books....I think. I still have about half of them.........my favorites were Goldilocks & Hansel & Gretel. Then of course I loved Dr Seuss books. When our son was only a few months old...they had a parish (county) wide library sale in our area. It was book lovers heaven! I had my son sleeping in his stroller and went straight for the children's books first.........grabbed every Dr Seuss book I could find & lots of others. We started reading to our son every night before he was a year old......thankfully, he still likes to read.

And yes.....I'll admit it.....I read Trixie Belden too. Some of my favorite books have been the Mitford series, Snow Flower & the Secret Fan, Walk Across China (non-fiction), When Crickets Cry, Forgotten Garden, Secret Life of Bees & The Thirteenth Tale.

I also love reading humorous books. If you want a quick, funny book to read for the holidays try reading........The Shepherd, The Angel & Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry. A great book for new parents or anyone who wants a good laugh check out Babies & Other Hazards of Sex by Dave Barry.

I wish all of you avid readers could come the huge spring book sale that I help with........you would love it! :)

I forgot to comment on the Scholastic book orders in grade school! I could not hardly wait to get those papers in my hand.......read them word for word........& place my order. Then absolute joy when they arrived!! I have to ask..........am I the only one that would read the cereal box while eating breakfast when I was a kid???

Miss Sheri
September 30th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Good Morning Night Owls, I too am an avid book lover. I was one of 8 kids in my family, and we moved around a lot when I was growing up. I remember being in second grade with a scholastic book order form and was coveting so badly a Clifford the Big Red Dog book! Although it was only .50 cents, at that time our little family was dirt poor so I didn't get to place the order. I remember wanting to cry when I saw a few weeks later the stacks of fresh new wonderful books some of my classmates received. My best daydream back then was a huge library within my own home. Fast forward to when I was a young married, and expecting my first child. . . I went to the local library to search out some of the 'old classics' and looked in the Teen section basing my decission on reading level; there I found only books about vampires, and dark magic, and broken homes etc. I was appauled. Later I discovered that all the old classics were still available, just not in that section. But the impact for me was profound. I began that very day to shop the second hand book stores, thrift stores, and yard sales for good books for my children. I found classics from my own early childhood, from the Little Golden Book series like, The Saggy Baggy Elephant , and The Little Red Caboose, to other childhood favorites like Curious George, and Harold and the Purple Crayon, Pippi Longstockings, and Mrs Piggle-Wiggle. I found and purchased everything that was in great shape and that I loved. I began then, a children's library for my kids which now has hundreds of titles in it, from the old classics that I had originaly gone looking for, like Treasure Island, Heidi, Little Women, A Girl of the Limberlost, Anne of Green Gables, Swiss Family Robinson, Captains Courageous, Little House on the Prairie. . . etc.etc. Also, all the New Classics like the Box Car children, the Magic Treehouse, The Harry Potter books, the Percy Jackson books, The Ranger's Apprentice Books, The Among the Hidden books, etc.etc. and so forth. I personally love historical fiction, fantacy, Jane Austin, adventure etc. Some of my Favorite books from my childhood include, My Side of the Mountain because I felt like with that book in my pocket, and a few well chosen tools in my backpack, I could survive anything, anywhere...hahaha, I also loved listening to my dad read The Old Mother West Wind stories to us with Buster Bear's Twins, and Lightfoot the Deer. I still prefer children's books to any others to this day, they entertain me and I don't have to worry about coming across something objectionable. I am still a simple, child at heart.

CrazyMtnLady
September 30th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I LOVE books. I read a lot. Right now I am reading She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. It's amazing that it was written by a man. Good book. My favorite author is Dean Koontz and I have read almost every book he has written.

As a kid, I always had my nose stuck in a book and looked forward to library day every week. I never read the "silly" kid's books but I loved the biographies and historical fiction books. My favorites were.. the biography of Julia Ward Howe (writer of the Battle Hymn of the Republic) and the story Slocum's Trail about Frances Slocum a small white girl kidnapped and raise by Indians. There is a Frances Slocum park in southern Indiana. I found this story online and purchased the book and still read and re-read it quite often. My favorite historical fiction was A Lantern in her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich about a pioneer worman. A few other books were: Last of the Mohicans and The Oregon Trail. I am sure there are many more.

When I turned 13 and started babysitting, I saved my money and joined the Doubleday Book Club and was so excited the first time I was able to order a book.

I love the smell of books and love going into a book store and just look and take in the smell.

Granny Judy
September 30th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I remember The Doubleday books. I joined and had those books for years. I think I donated them to the local Library when the kids grew up and left home. I just couldn't look at that collection of books after becoming an empty nester, so off they went to be used by others.

bdmsmith
September 30th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I love books and have loved to read since I was little. Unfortunately only my oldest son caught the bug on the book reading and my younger 2 don't like to read unless it's a magazine about something they are interested in.

I still have the little yellow paperback set of books from Kindergarten (I tend to keep a lot of stuff like this and have a couple totes of school memorabilia dated back to Kindergarten, plus at least a tote of each of my 3 boys's school papers---much to the dismay of my husband). I keep books everywhere as well and will purchase them at garage sales. I do have a nook now and it was VERY hard for me to start using it at first because I liked the feel and look of lots of books but I now love it and realize that I can have lots of books on my nook and no worries they will get damaged!

Growing up I love reading the Trixie Belden series and have all those books. Since I have 3 boys they were never interested in them, so my mom and I introduced my 9 year old niece to them because she loves to read so at least someone will enjoy them.

I mainly read mystery/detective type books now and James Patterson is one of my favorites. However, I also love the Harry Potter books and recently dug them out to re-read them and have just finished the 1st book and started the 2nd book last night. In my sewing room I have a small TV with DVD player and I play the Harry Potter movies while I'm in there because I have to have some background noise but it can't be just anything. It's funny to re-read the books now that I have the movies memorized by heart and see how much was left out of the movies.

janluna
September 30th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Books are one of my greatest loves! And something my Father and Grandfather had in common. I also read at age three. Loved the Trixie Belden books. I just recently bought 5 of them for my Granddaughters. Charles Dickens is my favorite author. I also love Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb and anyone else who writes a book. Has anyone ever read Taylor Caldwell ? I miss her books and it's really hard to find them. By the time I was 8, I had read most of the Bible. I really loved books like Black Beauty, Beautiful Joe, Robinson Carouso,(sic) and all the other classics, Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice, Old Man and the Sea, the Bronte Sisters. I love reading them all again, and again. I too was given a Nook, by my DH. It was his last ditch effort to curtail the books all over the house. It didn't work. Now I have a few hundred books on the Nook and I still bring home books.
If anyone knows where I could get copies of Taylor Caldwell, or the book called "Beautiful Joe" I would love to hear from you. "Beautiful Joe" is a book about a dog who was not so pretty to look at. I used to have all these, including the first edition of the 2nd printing of David Copperfield. In 1975 we lost everything in a house fire. I had so many special books, old books, like the copy of "Black Beauty" that was not edited and shortened by the time I was 10 yrs old. Lost them all.
I love the recent book by P.D. James called "Death Comes to Pemberley". Sort of a continuance on "Pride and Prejudice". There is another by a different author, about "Gone with the Wind". I thought, this will be a terrible book, you can't rewrite "Gone with the Wind". The author did not rewrite the book but added to the story and much to my surprise I loved it! And as far as reading Cereal boxes, I still do!!! LOL I devour books, letters, newspapers, the internet, quilting magazines, quilting books, cookbooks, etc. etc. I will read on my Nook, but will not give up my books. Like the t.v. show "Revolution" the world could be unplugged, but I will still have books I can read! LOL Hugs, Jan L.

lilmouse
October 1st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Yes I read the Trixie Beldon series, The Bobbsey Twins and all the others - too numerous to mention then all.....am a big fan of JD Robb and am always looking for books I have missed....read a bunch from the library and haunt used bookstores looking for ones that I don't have or have not read.....also follow JA Jance as I used to live near where one of her heroines lives so that caught my interest right away.....we calculated one year what I had spent on books....at that time I averaged the cost of a book at about $4.00 and we figured I had spent over 2k in books in just one year...I got it from my maternal grandmother and my mother and my oldest daughter also reads allot....so it is passing down from generation to generation...my 1st grade I was reading at 3rd grade level and by 6th grade I was reading at college level...you could almost always find me in my room with a stack of books to read. It helped when there was so many kids in the house all the time...there were five of us and that created allot of noise and confusion...peace and quiet in my room with my books.

alliek
October 1st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Books!!Books!!! I LOVE BOOKS!!! Like you Cyndi, bookcases overflowing, like you Lisa love the feel, weight, smell of books. I hate to part with books. Take anything in my house you want but don't touch my books. Is that crazy???? My favorite gifts when I was a child (born in "42) were the Bobbsey Twins LOL. I've collected a bunch over the years and have the behind glass in my secretary. I still take them out and peruse them. I love historical novels, any novels, autobiographies, biographies, mysteries etc etc. You have a book, I'll read it. I have a difficult time sometimes, deciding : quilt? or read? If I have a book that really pulls me in, the quilting takes a back seat. I do not want a kindle or any other appliance that loads books, give me my books!:D

GuitarGramma
October 1st, 2013, 12:43 PM
You've all brought back such lovely memories, reading the titles you've mentioned. I was a voracious reader, encouraged by my mother coupled with my introverted personality. I read Nancy Drew voraciously, saving my pennies to buy the next one and the next one and the next. Believe it or not, there were only 31 titles by the time I aged out of the series. My mother also enrolled me in the "Junior Deluxe Book Club" which sent a sumptuous classic book every month; I still have a few of those. Most of my childhood books were sold in the garage sale we held after my parents' divorce.

My other great love, though I hesitate to admit it, was comic books. That paid off big time, as my best friend today is Superman (Bob Holiday, who played the Man of Steel on Broadway) and I run his web site.

toggpine
October 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM
Lilmouse, You can go online and get a list of JD Robb's books in chronological order! I think I have read most of them, but now I am re-reading them in order. It is interesting to see how the characters develop. The narrator on the audio books, Susan Erickson, does a fabulous job! I can hear the voices of the characters when I'm reading the print books!

I'm pretty sure that the Boxcar Children aren't new classics, since I read them as a child and the books looked vintage then. I think they have redesigned the covers to appeal to the modern market. I am so pleased to be able to read some of my childhood favorites to my daughter.

Tricia
October 2nd, 2013, 12:05 AM
I could go on forever about books! My daughter loves to read and in my Amazon cart I have box sets for The Boxcar Children, the "Ramona" collection of Beverly Cleary books, and The Little House collection. I love that she loves to read. I've taken her to the library weekly since she was 2 1/2. Here it's a little more difficult and now with the "shutdown" they closed our base library.

My favorite website for books is Goodreads.com. If you've never seen it, check it out! I find a lot of people get stuck reading books by the same "mass produced" authors that are found at your local Wal-Mart. Now I have nothing against them and read a lot of them myself but this site gets you to see more books than you would otherwise. Not to mention they have an app and you can scan any book and get a review rating. Helps me a lot to make my library selections.

I don't keep a lot of books around the house, except for my daughter's. They become a pain to move and since I don't re-read, what's the point? If I do find I want to re-read something I know I can always get it at the library. I do have quite a few cookbooks though!

Kindle. Yes, I own one. I love it. Not as much as I love real books but boy is it nice to prop up on the treadmill or bike at the gym. Also, they are great for when you read something like Fifty Shades of Grey and you don't want people to know that that is what you are reading. (Yes, I read them. I hated them. I don't know why I read a three.) Plus they slip so nice into your purse, especially when you are reading a 900 page Stephen King novel. Not to mention how much of a saver it is on your wrists and fingers to hold a small Kindle instead of a 900 page book. It will never replace real books for me though. Just convenient at times.

If you are interested in what my favorite books are log on to Goodreads, I've rated over 400 books. But my favorite to recommend to people (I don't care who you are or what you read) is The Art of Racing In the Rain. Unless you absolutely hate dogs you'll love this one.

Happy reading!! (And quilting!)

Miss Sheri
October 2nd, 2013, 12:24 AM
I loved the Art of Racing In the Rain! I also love one called The Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

Ginny B
October 2nd, 2013, 12:54 AM
Sheri, I just read on The Corner of Bitter and Sweet about a year ago. Loved it! Another gal at work is an avid reader too and we are always talking about what we are reading and sharing books. I have always loved to read. I sort of got away from it when I started having the boys. At least in reading for myself. I always read to them every night. I started reading again for myself in the early 80's
I love the old classics like Pride and Prejudice, Emma, etc. and Gone With The Wind. I still have the first copy of GWTW that my mom gave me to read in my freshman year in HS. I also have 3 other copies of that book. LOL Jan, I read Taylor Caldwell too but I don't have any of them. I think I mostly got them from the library. When we go to CT we go to a massive used book store called the Book Barn. the next time we go, I am going to see if I can find any of her books.

I have a Kindle too and wasn't sure I would like it but I do. It will never replace "real" books for me though. Sure is convenient to take with you when you are not sure what you might want to read when you are away from home. You have a small library traveling with you.

Ok night owls, this day lark is going to bed now --- I will read a chapter in my book first though. I am reading the Debbie Macomber Cedar Cove series right now. What a great thread. I enjoyed hearing about what everyone else likes to read. Happy reading everyone.

pcbatiks
October 2nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
Speaking of dog stories........has anyone read Following Atticus? It's a true story about a man and his dog. If so, what did you think of the book? I keep hoping the book will show up in donated books for the book sale. I haven't read it yet but plan to.

Suzyq
October 2nd, 2013, 08:46 AM
I belong to a book study club, all three of us members get tog once a month and chat about what we're reading.. We've been meeting for over 22 years now and have shared experiences of kids leaving school, on to university, marriages, grandkids and one a lucky cancer survivor. We choose a book to read for the following month or one by the same author, always avail. At the public library of course to keep costs down...I never would have read such a wide variety of books if it hadn't been for these ladies. My fav. Of all time is 'Woman in White' by Wilkie Collins, a real thick one set in Victorian England. David Copperfield is another one. The Kite Runner was great, and one of few books that I stayed up all night long to read til finished. If you like mysteries, Ian Rankin is good, gee there are so many out there.. I'll check goodreads.com as we're always looking for new authors...thanks for the link...I read myself nuts when young as an escape from a difficult childhood, but find too today, even tho happy, I love to escape too to other worlds only found in books
A

Joan@DebtofGratitude
October 2nd, 2013, 09:17 AM
Oh yeah! The Boxcar Children, Thanks for the reminder Cathy!

I LOVED the Box Car Children!

I have way too many books. I used to prize them, line them all up on my many shelves, sorted by topic (history, fiction, humor, psychology, religion, sociology, etc.) I'm not a re-reader, however, and lately, they've started to feel like clutter. I donated boxes of them when we moved two years ago and now have my favorites contained to four book shelves. Might pare it down a bit more.

Despite this, I have not transitioned to an e-reader. Isn't that weird?

Just for the record, I mostly read non-fiction because I'd rather learn than be entertained. But my favorite fiction author is John Irving. I read the World According to Garp when I was 17 and fell in love with his dark and complicated characters. A Prayer for Owen Meany is sublime, and is the only book I've re-read (three times). I'm not big on plot, therefore I don't read folks like Grisham. I much prefer a character study -- Richard Russo's Empire Falls comes to mind or the brilliant White Oleander by Janet Fitch.

On the non-fiction side, Fast Food Nation, In Defense of Food, and Nickle and Dimed changed my personal views on a lot of things. The Tao is my book of meditation. And Elizabeth Cady Stanton's Solitude of Self is my manifesto.