PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 of the MSQC Road Trip - Random Observations

K. McEuen
September 30th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Four states in eight hours on the road, several potty stops along the way and I am in Pratt Kansas, I think.

When you cut corners off the states you can drive across Texas pretty fast. Oklahoma too.

Kansas is flat. They have HUGE stockyards that sneak up on you out of no where. Thankfully it was only 82 degrees and not 100 or my eyes would have been watering. No matter how fast you are driving, you can't hold your breath long enough to get by the stockyards. Breathe shallowly and through your mouth. The fly that was in my truck didn't even want to leave when I opened the window some, hoping he'd like the smell and leave.

I saw a lightning bug this evening, about 5 seconds before he went S P L A T! on the windshield. Lights out!

There were a lot of cars and trucks going the opposite way as I was. Made me wonder what they were leaving and if I should turn around and go back.

Liberal, Kansas - where semi-toothless, Einstein haired, chubby guys wearing overalls and a crop top wife-beater buying copious amounts of ice smile/leer at you making you check to make sure you aren't in Arkansas, because you swear you hear banjos in the distance ...

The main street in Liberal is named Pancake Blvd. - not an I-hop in sight.

I hit the interstate tomorrow morning, hopefully that throws me back into the mainstream population. ;)

bkthomas
September 30th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Hope you're not alone and the locks on the doors are good!

shannonsaulter
September 30th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Enjoy and keep us posted..wish I could have come along but alas I must work!

Judy, USMC
September 30th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Delightful information. Love your writing style! (Hope the forum members here from Arkansas have a sense of humor.)

cyndiofthevortex
September 30th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Well, this sure made me smile! You are a great writer! What fun images you've described.

Did you give any of those guys your phone number?

K. McEuen
September 30th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Well, this sure made me smile! You are a great writer! What fun images you've described.

Did you give any of those guys your phone number?

I think the different area code would have confused them ...

Another thought along the way - why do we say Kan-sass and then say Ar-can-saw? Why isn't it Kan-saw or Ar-can-sass?

K. McEuen
September 30th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Delightful information. Love your writing style! (Hope the forum members here from Arkansas have a sense of humor.)

hehe, I always think of Deliverance, which I believe was filmed on the Arkansas River when I see some guy in overalls and a crop top. They just sort of fit into that movie image.

bkthomas
September 30th, 2013, 01:51 AM
:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_ rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:: icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Oh Karen!!! Good one!!!

kensington
September 30th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Because they are names of Indian Tribes and there were no tribes named Arkansas or Kansaw. ((Fyi))... Thanks for asking.

You might notice as you come across the deadlands of Kansas... the names are also Indian tribes... Olathe, Osowatomie, Witchita, there are a bunch.

Have you seen the "Wizard of Oz" Museum yet? Yeah... don't slow down, don't waste your money. Starbucks is a better deal. Well, except they do show the Movie nonstop on a really huge screen in a mini theater where you can rest.

kensington
September 30th, 2013, 02:11 AM
BTW... you are welcome to stop by here as you go by tomorrow on the road. Glad to make you a cup of coffee or brunch! Safe Travels!

Monique
September 30th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Too funny, Karen. Thanks for the description. I could never figure out Kansas and Arkansas either. LOL!!

HandsOffItsMine
September 30th, 2013, 07:20 PM
You're too funny! Do be safe!! Lock the car doors...Bubba scares me!

MRoy
September 30th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Kansas is flat. They have HUGE stockyards that sneak up on you out of no where. Thankfully it was only 82 degrees and not 100 or my eyes would have been watering. No matter how fast you are driving, you can't hold your breath long enough to get by the stockyards. ;)

LOL! My cattle farmer DH would have wanted to stop and check out every stockyard! Have a safe night and travel tomorrow!

Miss Sheri
September 30th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Hahahahahahahaahahahahahaha, Karen, you made my day! Keep the observations from the road, and from your trip coming please, loving it all.

easyquilts
September 30th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Oh my goodness... I actually laughed out loud at the IHOP remark.... Be careful out there!

Hulamoon
September 30th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Could you sign the first copy of your first book for me? :)

Meli
September 30th, 2013, 10:43 PM
I can tell already I'm going to LOVE reading your travelogue. Wish I were with you, as I love out of the way places like Liberal. (Hey, my family vacations in Cuba, NM...)

Hugs to all, especially those amazing Doan women!

Four states in eight hours on the road, several potty stops along the way and I am in Pratt Kansas, I think.

When you cut corners off the states you can drive across Texas pretty fast. Oklahoma too.

Kansas is flat. They have HUGE stockyards that sneak up on you out of no where. Thankfully it was only 82 degrees and not 100 or my eyes would have been watering. No matter how fast you are driving, you can't hold your breath long enough to get by the stockyards. Breathe shallowly and through your mouth. The fly that was in my truck didn't even want to leave when I opened the window some, hoping he'd like the smell and leave.

I saw a lightning bug this evening, about 5 seconds before he went S P L A T! on the windshield. Lights out!

There were a lot of cars and trucks going the opposite way as I was. Made me wonder what they were leaving and if I should turn around and go back.

Liberal, Kansas - where semi-toothless, Einstein haired, chubby guys wearing overalls and a crop top wife-beater buying copious amounts of ice smile/leer at you making you check to make sure you aren't in Arkansas, because you swear you hear banjos in the distance ...

The main street in Liberal is named Pancake Blvd. - not an I-hop in sight.

I hit the interstate tomorrow morning, hopefully that throws me back into the mainstream population. ;)

Gayle Russell
September 30th, 2013, 11:12 PM
But you miss so much on the Interstate! Just think of all the treasured memories of our great country you're creating as you travel the back roads! :D Yes, Kansas is flatter than a pancake! Enjoy the trip and the experience. Please share more, I'd love to hear your thoughts and observances!