PDA

View Full Version : Arrgh, life!

burnsmauh
September 29th, 2013, 08:45 PM
So I haven't been able to quilt for the past month and it is driving me batty.

I noticed that sitting for any length of time would send my back into spasms of pain, and as such quilting and piecing quickly went to the back burner of things to do.

Fast forward a few weeks and the pain isn't any better and in fact if I was to sit for too long my legs wouldn't support me when I would first stand up. A new and scary change, pain I can deal with, not this unknown weakness.

Got a spine doctor to order x-rays and an MRI and found out what had been causing me such pain for the past month.

Turns out I had a herniated Disk in my lumbar region of my spine. There was talk of trying cortisone, which has never worked on me before or surgery.

Talk about hard choices laid before, I'm only 26 I'm too young for this!

I decided to go ahead and have the surgery done as waiting to see if the cortisone would fail me again would only lead to another month of protracted pain.

Had the surgery of Friday evening and came home from the nightmare hospital on Saturday.

I'm nice and polite to everyone I meet, but I don't take to kindly to being ignored on reasonable requests by nurses at the hospital that could care less about you.

Being made to sit and wait in bed for over an hour to go to the bathroom is a bit much for me to handle, add in having to make 4 requests over an 1 and a half to get the sheets changed so your not sitting in urine soaked sheets is also more than I can handle.

I don't understand why they tell you to call for help then come in, turn off the request light and leave. The troubles began 45 minutes before the shift change, plenty of time to take care of what was wrong and brief the new shift.

To say I can't wait for the call to ask how my care at the hospital was is going to be interesting.

Well I'm home now and healing up from micro-disketomy on my lower back.

I'm hopeful to return to quilting next week sometime. I just needed to vent and let others know what I've been dealing with.

Having to smile and be nice when you hurt is one of the harder things to do in life.

Claire Hallman
September 29th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Hope you feel better soon.

PeggyM
September 29th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Oh, so sorry for your pain. You are much too young to have such problems. I hope the surgery works. And, I hope you respond honestly when asked how your stay at the hospital was.

Lisapc
September 29th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Some nurses are wonderful and some just aren't. I am grateful that your experience there was not worse. I am praying you heal quickly and well and that you get to start sewing away soon.

Grammanan
September 29th, 2013, 10:59 PM
I don't think I would wait for the call. I would call and ask for a patient advocate. What you went through is inhumane. I hope you heal completely and quickly.

SandyWhite
September 29th, 2013, 11:27 PM
I agree with Grammanan. Kick up a fuss. What you endured is unconscionable. Wishing you a full recovery.

bkthomas
September 29th, 2013, 11:37 PM
I truly feel your pain, I have had both hips replaced - went to re-hab for the first one and came straight home after the second one.
When they sent me the "how was your stay" crap from the re-hab, I told them and never heard back. I don't know why they bother if they are not going to follow up!
Hope you feel better soon!

shannonsaulter
September 29th, 2013, 11:58 PM
that is just horrible I would so be sending in complaints on that facility...
Hope you are healing though...((HUGS))

auntiemern
September 30th, 2013, 12:33 AM
I would have had plenty to say to the charge nurse before I ever left. That is just ridiculous. Hoping you have a speedy recovery. Sounds like it is going to be, if you will be back at the machine in a week.

bakermom
September 30th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Sorry you're going thru this. My DIL is about your age and has had similar problems- herniated discs and spondylosis. Not at all fun.

Andrea F
September 30th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Sorry for your pain and hoping for a speedy recovery. Sending positive thoughts your way.

bec
September 30th, 2013, 03:24 AM
That's outlandish! I'm so sorry your hospital stay was so horrid. It seems like these days, you need someone to stay with you at the hospital so that you get the care that you pay way too much for. You might want to make a personal visit to the hospital administrator. I had to do that when my grandmother was in the hospital.

I feel for you and your back pain. I'm going through that myself. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow for the second time in the past 8 weeks for what I think might be a herniated disk that's causing me a lot of sciatic nerve pain. The first time, I couldn't get an appointment with my regular doctor so I went to one of the other doctors in the office. Won't happen again. She gave me 3 prescriptions. I usually read the side effects section of the papers that they give you with your medications, but only skim over the rest. However, I guess I need to start reading every word of it more closely. I didn't realize until a week or two later that she had given me a prescription for a pain killer that is not suppose to be taken with my blood pressure medicine. She also gave me a muscle relaxer that could have serious side effects if taken with tramadol, the 3rd prescription she gave me. I mean...really? A list of all my medications was on the chart, so it's not like she didn't know. (But then the pharmacist gave me misinformation as well. He told me that I could take the tramadol at night with the muscle relaxer. I found out later that the muscle relaxer specifically said not to take it with tramadol! I guess I need to start questioning everything.

The doctor also told me that it was probably muscle related and suggested that I go to a PT. Well, after the medications didn't seem to help much, I went to a PT. I did the prescribed exercises for two days and I got much worse. I couldn't even sit down for 4 days because of the pain down the back of my thigh. Fortunately, I've improved over the last several days, but am still worse than before I went to the PT. Hopefully my regular doctor will do an MRI or something to get me back to normal.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just sick of not being able to function normally and I'm very tired and can't sleep.

Hope you recover quickly and can get back to quilting very soon.