PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been tempted???

Mchelem
September 29th, 2013, 02:59 AM
We own our own company, and yesterday I picked up checks, did all my accounting stuff, and went to deposit the checks at the bank. The lines were long, so I deposited it in the ATM. One of the checks was for $18,916.00. I didn't notice until I got back to my office that the ATM misread the check and mistook the 1 for a 9. The bank deposited $98,916.00 into the checking account for that check. I figured that this morning, whoever keys stuff in and double checks it would catch it and correct it, but lo and behold, the deposit went through.

Let me tell you, that I was seriously tempted to withdraw $80,00000 and head to Mexico lol.

I know that eventually they would catch the mistake, and if we spent any of it, it could mean jail time and worse, so obviously I will go in Monday and speak to our personal banker and let him know, but for about 3 minutes, I allowed myself to shop freely and oh man, the things I could have bought!!!! Lol

Have you ever been tempted???

GuitarGramma
September 29th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Tempted? Oh, yes! Then I ask myself, is this the price of my integrity? So far, that question has always kept me honest. I think you're doing the right thing. My hubby -- who knows how banking systems work -- says they'd find their mistake within the week.

May you have many more $18,000 checks to reward your honesty!

Mchelem
September 29th, 2013, 03:34 AM
Tempted? Oh, yes! Then I ask myself, is this the price of my integrity? So far, that question has always kept me honest. I think you're doing the right thing. My hubby -- who knows how banking systems work -- says they'd find their mistake within the week.

May you have many more $18,000 checks to reward your honesty!
Without a doubt. If I spent that money, even one dime, the guilt would eat me alive. It's not mine to spend, and I fully know this- spending any part of it is equivalent to stealing, and karma is not nice!!

But if it were mine to keep?? That longarm I have my eye one would be on its way!

CrazyMtnLady
September 29th, 2013, 08:45 AM
It is always tempting to do the wrong thing, but we know that in the long run it would not really make us happy. The guilt would be to heavy. We had something similar happen a while back and by the time I was able to call the back they had found the mistake and corrected it. But thanked me for calling.

MRoy
September 29th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I had a similar situation many years ago. I went to the bank (where I used to be a teller) to deposit $$ into a savings account that my son used with his ATM card while he was attending college. The receipt listed the new balance and showed over $10,000 more than it should have. I told the head teller that it looked like someone else's deposit went into my account. The mistake was corrected a few days later, but I got to keep the small amount of interest that the money earned while in my account. I guess that was my reward!

RFREE
September 29th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I too had an incident at the bank several years ago. I had taken $7000.00 in cash to pay off a camper we had and got to talking to the teller about me knowing her mother and how she had hired me at the school bla bla bla the whole time she was getting the paperwork...Paid in full.. for this note and what not and she handed me the paper saying. "well you are all ready to go." and I looked at her and handed the money bag with the cash and said I think you better take this too don't you?" Her face got so red and she said OMG I am so glad you are an honest person...! If I wasn't I could have turned around and left and that would have been that. But I have a conscious the size of Texas and it would have eat me alive for sure. I always try to do the right thing no matter what.

Marebear
September 29th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I had a similar situation a few years ago at the bank. We were suppose to be getting a check for 88,000.00 (something for our house, I can't remember exactly) but the check the bank gave us was for 880,000.00 - an extra 800,000.00!!!! I noticed it right away, and when I informed the bank teller you should have seen them scramble LOL I was tempted for a few seconds too :D

toggpine
September 29th, 2013, 10:46 AM
It's always tempting to think about what you would do with large sums of money. Hence the line 'If I win the lottery." Most folks would only spend it if it was truly theirs.

nyscpa2be
September 29th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I've had it happen too - but mine was only $400 or so. I was SO upset at the time at Mom making me take it back - 18 year old attitude moment! But I did get a mug from the bank in the mail.

quiltingtrish
September 29th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Quite a few years ago, I deposited money in to our checking account where all the bills got paid from. Shortly thereafter, I was getting mail saying this or that check bounced and this or that overdraft fee would apply, late fees would now apply - etc. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was all happening because I KNEW I put the money in the bank in person. Come to find out, the teller put it in to the wrong account. Needless to say, I didn't owe any of the fees but what a mess to contact all those I had paid to get it all straightened out. I NEVER walk or drive away without checking my receipt with the right account number now on it. And, I ALWAYS count my money because too many times I have been given too little or too much back. That sure saves the teller extra anguish if she doesn't come out right at the end of the day.

Hugs,

MayinJerset
September 29th, 2013, 12:37 PM
At first I think most people would think, Oh Wow! Money from Heaven but they will tell the bank or whoever about the error.

Had to opposite happen to us many years ago when we sold a car when the buyer gave us a check for 33 dollars instead of 330. (Told you it was many years ago when you could buy a good older car for that little.) Don't know it that was a mistake on their part or not but their address and home phone number was on their check so DH and I went right over to get another check for the right amount. Like Trish said, from then on I always check receipts and when selling personal items write out a receipt stating date, buyers name and address, item and amount. While I would like to get some free money I certainly don't want to give any of mine away.

HdWench
September 29th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Yeah guilt would eat me alive BUT for about 5 minutes I'd dream ! Hubby went to 1 shop to gather extra money from the cash box - Walked to our 2nd shop and went to feel for cash and it was GONE!!! Thank GOD it fell on the floor of this shop and a VERY kind lady said, hey I just found a wad of cash and am sure it belongs to someone!!! She got a Deal of the Day on everything she bought from us!!!

Lisapc
September 29th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Once I received a few hundred more from the teller at the bank than I was supposed to and I told the teller right away. Then a couple of years later I had a private duty hospice case and the husband of the patient used to write me checks every week and he always added an extra zero. Every week there would be an extra 1 k in the check. After a few months the daughter called me for a meeting because she thought I was trying to get away with something but there wasn't any money missing. I am glad it was me and not someone dishonest or desperate because they may have kept the money.

The guilt would eat me alive!

PeggyM
September 29th, 2013, 09:29 PM
We received a duplicate wire transfer at work - 100k x 2. That's a lotta scratch. The boss said, hmm Tahiti seems like a good place to go. But then he did the math. $100,000 divided by 20 years for bank fraud didn't seem like a good deal. This was all in fun; he's the most honest person I know.

auntiemern
September 29th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I think for that couple of seconds we all think what we would do. The kids have all had the "what if you found a wallet that had $500 in it?" They go back and forth, but the right side always prevails. I have always said, "what if that was all the money they had to live on for the next month" and "how would you feel if it was your wallet?" I have given back found money, dropped money, and hey it doesn't belong to me money. I don't know how anyone could keep money they didn't earn or win. Yes I do play slots, lol.

shannonsaulter
September 30th, 2013, 12:02 AM
I hasve been tempted..Working in a hotel at one point I found a briefcase in a room and was suprised to find some pretty jewels in it...but I am not that kind of person..went and checked whos room it had been and was lucky the person had left a work and cell #..I got the goods back to him and found out this guy was a vendor for a high end co...it case in question was worth 1/4 mill...What did I get a thankyou and emp of the month from the hotel....and the knowledge that I have integrity

Mchelem
September 30th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Lol, I told my DH that I do not look good in orange, and that I am pretty sure they wouldn't allow me to have a sewing machine in prison, so I'm not going!

Sheena
September 30th, 2013, 05:25 AM
I'd spend it! :D

Mchelem
September 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I'd spend it! :D
Even knowing that the bank would press grand larceny and/or bank fraud charges against you, you would serve time in prison, and would be on a "blacklist" at the bank and would never be able to open a checking or savings account again? And it would go on your credit and you would be responsible for paying it back??