PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy With a Chance of Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
September 29th, 2013, 01:01 AM
It's "Open Line Sunday," to borrow a famous radio show's Friday program title. Talk about anything you like! What's on your mind tonight?

On my mind tonight is the very silly song that goes, "Sandwiches are beautiful, sandwiches are fine, I like sandwiches I eat them all the time! I eat them for my supper and I eat them for my lunch, if I had a hundred sandwiches I'd eat them all at once!"

Are you thinking of anything deeper than that?

PS All Day Larks are welcome to join the party! Don't be shy. Our beaks might be sharp but we don't bite.

Sew Perfect
September 29th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Hello Night Owls. It's so weird to be on Eastern Time right now. We are still driving. DS took over the driving while Dh is resting. I must say, DS has become a good driver. I didn't sleep last night and I'm still awake. I finished the binding on a quilt today. Yippy!

I like your open line Sunday, Cyndi.

Have a good weekend and happy quilting.

P.S. I bought some owl socks and I don't even get into them. it's all because of this group...it's all your fault.

bkthomas
September 29th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Well Misa, you do now!!!!

Hulamoon
September 29th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Deeper than a sandwich? humm I'm looking at my swap pile and thinking about the box. I got a nice gift from a member but it's too dark to take a picture. And Saturday Night Live is back tonight. Gotta Love Tina Fey. Not very deep but that's all I can come with other than I need to do the dishes. lol

Jean Sewing Machine
September 29th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Still hooting here tonight, trying to finish a couple more projects before going to Hamilton Monday night. I tried to post the latest one, but the ipad ate it before I hit post. Hate that when it happens! Nitey night, night owls!

Suzyq
September 29th, 2013, 02:19 AM
This owl is lying in bed reading quilting books.. Just had a flood in our house this evening now can't sleep...DH is snoring away, oh lucky him not to be an owl... Hey have you noticed that owl fabric is the rage now?

dwil23
September 29th, 2013, 02:20 AM
Never heard that song, Cyndi, but I do like sandwiches!

Had a great weekend with my Son, DIL and grandson. They had his first birthday party on Saturday with - sandwiches! Pulled pork sandwiches. I got to go to my favorite local quilt shop on Friday but got there only half an hour before closing, so it wasn't too hard on the debit card. I got two all you can stuff scrap bags, four fat quarters, several fat eights and a half yard cut of squirrel fabric. Squirrels are a running joke with my son, so just had to buy it. Besides, it will be nice in masculine looking quilts - browns, black, orange, gray colors. Next time I will get there earlier so that I can spend more time. And money. I've been watching some of Bonnie Hunter's quilt cams and really want to do a scrappy quilt in addition to other projects I am working on. One where I sew the blocks as I have enough scraps and put them aside until I have enough blocks. I have lots of ideas, just need the time and space to get going on them. The first pattern I want to do was one I saw on Fons and Porter recently. Liz Porter did it in white and 30's prints and called it "Emily's Wedding Quilt (it was the quilt she made for her daughter when she got married). It was a combo of two quilt blocks that had no curved seams, but looked circular when placed together alternately. One block was the 54/40 Fight block, and the other name escapes me at the moment.

Have a good night, all!

Cathy F
September 29th, 2013, 02:26 AM
While I was sewing my mind wondered and I began to wonder what quilters from say 100 years ago would think of the sophisticated machines we sew on today. So my question for you is what do you think the machines will be able to do say 75 years from now? What features do you invision will be on them?

MayinJerset
September 29th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Not too many night owls on the tree branch tonight, it's early yet. I usually stop by around 3 or 4 but I led the Pillowcase Sew In at my Guild yesterday and I was so tired I fell asleep watching TV around 9. Woke up at 12:30 so my first sleep segment is done, now some time at computer, fold some laundry and then try to go back to sleep again.

What's on my mind right now? Your cute sandwich song, LOL! Really thinking about how to cover the large toss pillows we have on our TV room couch. Should I put a zipper in or just stitch them closed? Like a zipper because it is easy on and off when they need washing but new couch is leather and don't want the hard pull of the zipper to dig into the leather when we lay on the pillows. I love the pillows as they are so soft and comfy as is the new couch, no wonder I keep falling asleep when I lay on them. Subject too deep for the middle of the night so I'll leave it for now.

56743Hooting away for a bit, see you later, May

Mchelem
September 29th, 2013, 02:41 AM
This owl is lying in bed reading quilting books.. Just had a flood in our house this evening now can't sleep...DH is snoring away, oh lucky him not to be an owl... Hey have you noticed that owl fabric is the rage now?

Oh my goodness yes!! Pink, blue, brown, all kids of fabrics and colors with owls..

I made an owl appliqué quilt. 56742. It's not great, but I like it.

Lisapc
September 29th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Cathy I think the quilters 100 yrs from now and I do hope that I have a great, great, great granddaughter or son is one of those quilters probably won't do anything the way we do. I think they will be able to buy pre-cuts in any shape and size they want and will think of us using rotary cutters and mats the way we think of our ancestor quilters using scraps and little scissors and hand piecing. All that work. Every machine will have the ability to hold at least 10 different threads and with a push of a button it changes thread color and pulls your bottom thread through for quilting. I still think they will use cotton though.

I am heading to bed but I just had to watch The White Queen and bake brownies first. I really enjoy the costumes on that show. My baby, my Lil' Peter turned 9 on Tuesday and tomorrow is his party. It is just my parents, Brenna w/hubby and the granddaughters joining us for food, brownies and ice cream cake. This is the fist year we are not having a class party but there are 6 kids in his class with September birthdays and no one in this town does birthday parties past the first grade here. Really weird. Last year was his last big party and now he has entered the age of the family party with presents but the biggest is the birthday adventure. He chose for his firs a passenger train ride. So we got him a digital camera to take pictures on his first adventure. I am sure he will end up inviting Kora but it is totally up to him if he does or not. He is growing up. Thank goodness I have 7 month old Lillyana to love on.

Good night my feathered friends.

Lisapc
September 29th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Not too many night owls on the tree branch tonight, it's early yet. I usually stop by around 3 or 4 but I led the Pillowcase Sew In at my Guild yesterday and I was so tired I fell asleep watching TV around 9. Woke up at 12:30 so my first sleep segment is done, now some time at computer, fold some laundry and then try to go back to sleep again.

What's on my mind right now? Your cute sandwich song, LOL! Really thinking about how to cover the large toss pillows we have on our TV room couch. Should I put a zipper in or just stitch them closed? Like a zipper because it is easy on and off when they need washing but new couch is leather and don't want the hard pull of the zipper to dig into the leather when we lay on the pillows. I love the pillows as they are so soft and comfy as is the new couch, no wonder I keep falling asleep when I lay on them. Subject too deep for the middle of the night so I'll leave it for now.

56743Hooting away for a bit, see you later, May

What about a nylon zipper?

Lindagie
September 29th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Had a full day watching our granddaughter's soccer game and then shopping for clothes (Yuk, always a chore for me), but also shopped for another granddaughter's birthday gift (much more fun to do). Ate too much for dinner (late) and am paying for it right now as well. I think I will watch one of the too many new shows that I have on DVR. Maybe I will fall asleep in the process.

Attended a seminar/workshop/class (whatever you want to call it) with Jodi Barrows a few days ago. She had some interesting stories about the women and quilts in her family, esp. during the Civil War. She explained her square in a square method of cutting and piecing things, and she also showed some very nice quilts. I was just sitting here wondering if I want to try it with my next quilt project. One of the quilts in her book is the Storm At Sea that I have been wanting to try for awhile now. Just wondering if any of you have tried her method and how you liked it.

Hulamoon
September 29th, 2013, 03:18 AM
I'm so happy with my Babylocks and the threading features I can't imagine what else to invent. Bringing down prices for everyone would be nice. And color choices for the machines would be fun. If Kitchen Aid can come out with a ton of colors, why not sewing machines? All of them are white. Well not all but you know what I mean I think.

dwil23
September 29th, 2013, 03:53 AM
I'm thinking 100 years from now there will be no pretty printed fabrics. Just white. Designs will done by touching a computer screen and then the white fabric will be run through a quilting machine that will print the design and quilt it all in one step. After all, they are "printing" 3D objects already. I for one, don't want to be around for that type of quilting. Just like I have not much use for digital scrapbooking, I wouldn't want digital quilts, either.

turena65
September 29th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Goodness..I am tired tonight! I might actually get to bed before midnight :) I just finished a run of working 6 12-hour nights...so busy that everyone is working overtime shifts....what exactly was happening 9 months ago? Celebrating New Years?!
We are having typhoon winds and excessive rain right now, it's supposed to last through tomorrow...crazy, crazy weather! Keeping our fingers crossed all the large swaying trees around our house don't land on us! My DD's baby shower is tomorrow in Portland so we are hoping the roads stay open. :)
I finished my parent's snowball 4 patch quilt this week and took it to the LAQ.... I've never done that before so I am dying to see how it turns out... I'm sure it will be fabulous!
Goodnight fellow night owls....

HdWench
September 29th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Hi friendly Night Owls - Well its 6:30 and been up all night - Cut out another table runner then realized I got to PACK!! Started 1/2 chicken in the oven, then simmered to get bones off, sauteed onions, celery and carrots in butter to a to the chicken soup/stew cuz tomorrow it's official last day of biz, pack it down and get us OUT of here :-) Way too excited to sleep, and put my newly cut table runner on the back burner.

Packed my sewing case and Holy Smokes Batman! I need Superman to lift it up I crammed so err sew much in for the few days in Missouri hahaha

Ok got to catch a few zzz's then get cargo trailer into gates about 8 pm -- Sure hope I wake up in time!!

Hubby came over and after a quick spat -- Men *sigh* he salted his food AND the stove top I spent today cleaning in here.... grrrr so after cleaning and making up he handed me a pair of gold and Opal earrings - I think he likes me!!!

Cyndi I"m doing to have that song in my head for DAYS now!!! :icon_heh:

Oh years from now yes, cheaper machines that do so much more and with pre-cuts in every size so pick a quilt, choose your pre-cut blocks and sew -- hmm kinda what I like doing now. I bet 100 years from now they will think how sad we have it slowly piecing fabric and such - They way they keep improving, maybe we'll have a Judy Jetson push button - Make this dress in my size :-) oh cool!

Night Owls (err Good Morning Night Owls)!

(((Hugs))) Debbie