PDA

View Full Version : to all who remodeled recently

Doloris
September 28th, 2013, 08:30 PM
has anyone in the Virginia/DC area used Michael Nash as the contractors?
my DS used this contractor and kitchen renovation was supposed to start end of April and last about 6 weeks. They finally got started around June 10th and it has been one headache after another. They have only just finished up after about 14 weeks, 10 of which DS had NO kitchen at all. Still have a couple things that need attention, but kitchen is usable. He has had conversations with the owner who is trying to make things right. This is a big co and he has multiple crews working on different jobs at different locations.. He is now aware of all the problems at DS house and is almost as upset as DS. This was a $50,000. complete renovation. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of them or knows anything about them.

PeggyM
September 28th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I'm in Baltimore, but used a DC metro area company several years ago and they were completely awesome. I would highly recommend them. If you need the name, pm me. I'm leary of putting anyone's name out there.

Doloris
September 28th, 2013, 08:38 PM
once the work is done it is awesome and beautiful. Just terrible work ethics.

aliaslaceygreen
September 30th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Can't say we know them. But I discovered when we just had our bath redone that they don't have the same sense of urgency you would like. Our 3 day reno took 13.... and mostly because they worked under 2 hours a day. We could have done the job after work for two weeks if we had wanted it to last so long! Finished----->2013 The Year of the Bathroom, Part 2 | More Notes From the Refrigerator Door (http://aliaslaceygreen.com/2013/09/23/2013-the-year-of-the-bathroom-part-2/)

Mchelem
September 30th, 2013, 03:36 AM
In defense of contractors, things happen that are beyond your control. We can't say a job will take 5 days because we have to wait on things like special orders, inspectors, etc. We once had to wait 3 days for a city inspection, and couldn't move forward without the inspection. We also do not spend 8 hours a day on one job. There are other customers that we were working on before we started "your" job, and we are trying to finish theirs the same as yours, but are waiting on those same things. Instead of sitting around twiddling our thumbs for that 3 days, waiting for an inspector, or for the 2 weeks it takes for your cabinets or counter tops to get in, we work on other jobs. And when an inspector says "meet me at a job site" you go, because if you don't, you don't get your green tag, and you can't move forward. There's also permits to file, materials to gather and things that go wrong last minute.

. I would ask why the job took so long? Maybe there's valid reasons.

Doloris
September 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
we never expected them to actually be done in 6 weeks, but didn't think it would last more than twice that long. This was a complete tear out down to the studs. I understand s&^^t happens. They have had to redo several times because someone just didn't read the plans. plumbing had to be redone, electrical had to be redone. Stupid stuff. DS ordered all cupboards and whatever at the beginning of all this 6 months ago. They waited till ready to put pantry together and oh yea, what you ordered isn't available. Had they been told at the get go they could have picked something else and not had to wait again, and don't tell me the contractor didn't know when they ordered and it wasn't on the order sheet.
DS had the owner of the company at the house and he actually threw a spool of wire at his crew boss and told him to go home, he wasn't needed there. Don't know if he is back or not. So the owner is just as frustrated as DS.
It is for the most part finished now. Still a few things need taken care of. Couple cupboard doors came in wrong and need replaced with correct ones, but can use wrong ones till others come in. Minor. Some of the painting is sub par, but DS had them back 3 or 4 times and still not satisfactory. Walls not sanded smooth around windows etc. A shelf was never made or installed, DS just gave up on that.
I would expect better for $50,000. I went to DC for a week in june , contractor knew I would be in charge, DS had emergency in Upstate NY, and contractor calls every night to let know when arriving and what plans for next day. Called me every night but would say not coming tomorrow but be there next day. would call next day and not coming again. They did not come once the whole week I was there. This was at the onset of the job. Should have got a clue there.
Their work is very good and precise for the most part, just poor work ethics.