PDA

View Full Version : Gone With The Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
September 27th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Good evening, Night Owls! How weird is it that this is the time I wake up every night? I hope someone else will jump in and start the thread if I'm still sleeping at 2 am or something. Don't worry, I'll wake up eventually. I always do. Did I just sound resigned right there? I meant to.

Here's a cool thing I found while reading this week. We've already talked about hand vs machine stitching, but here's another take on the topic that I found very interesting. It is from Sharee Dawn Roberts' book, "Creative Machine Art."

"Let us consider the sewing machine for a few moments. For those who are convinced it is an inferior substitute for fine handwork, let me ask this question: how fine would handwork be without the sharp steel needle used to penetrate the fabric, allowing the thread to pass through to create the highly praised embroidery stitches? Is not that needle, too, a 'tool' invented by man and manufactured by machines in order to facilitate stitching the design the artist has envisioned? Well, the sewing machine is simply another tool. Indeed, it is much larger and more complex than a hand needle, but it is certainly not a tool that is simply put on 'automatic pilot.' Without skillful human hands and a creative mind at work, this tool would sit as useless as would a little steel hand needle with no skillful hands to guide it."

Don't you just love that?

Let's talk tonight about our sewing machines. How did you choose yours? How long have you had it? What do you like about it? Is there any feature you wish it had that it doesn't? Do you have more than one machine and if so, what are the differences that made you choose them? Tell us anything you want about your machine. And don't forget the name if it has one!

Lisapc
September 27th, 2013, 01:14 AM
I do just love that, it is exactly how I feel and maybe because I have been doing hand embroidery, crewel and cross stitch for over 30 yrs now I can admit this: It is a lot harder to machine quilt than hand quilt. It is a lot easier to machine embroider than hand embroider.

My first sewing machine my mother gave me, she gave up sewing and I was sewing pajamas for my infant by hand so she just showed up with it one day. It is a Singer mechanical and I think it is around 30 yrs old but I am not sure and I love it. It just does what it is supposed to do.

My second machine is a Singer Futura ce-350 embroidery machine. I love the fancy stitches, the automatic threader is something I could not live without. The embroidery makes me happy. The needle up/down button is a life saver. I love my machine.

I bought an old, 1950's or 1060's Singer serger off of craigslist. It is solid and works but I would really love a new one in a few years. I think. One that self thread with a button that blows air to do the threading would be really cool.

I am getting another machine strictly for quilting and it will be a Juki 2010Q, I just need to decide where I am getting it from. That one is the only one that I will name, maybe. I have never thought to name a machine before this forum. We'll see.

Those little owls in the picture are just adorable.

cyndiofthevortex
September 27th, 2013, 01:27 AM
I now have three machines, which is very surprising to me. Not that I woke up and - Surprise! - there they were. It's just that I never thought I'd need or want more than one.

My first machine is a Viking Platinum 770, just a little ordinary machine I've had for about 9 years or so. I forget. I just looked and I could buy one like it for $500, which I think is a good deal if anyone wants a great little machine that does everything a machine should do. I love it and don't think I'll be upgrading ever. But then I never thought I'd have three machines...

My second machine is a Viking Mega Quilter. It sews a perfectly straight seam and it quilts using a walking foot and FMQing. No other stitches. It is all metal and as heavy as they come. It has an 11 1/2" throat plate (is that what that area is called?) to make it easier to shove a large quilt around when quilting. I love it and will keep it until they pry my cold, dead hands...oh, wait a minute, that's morbid. I meant, I'll keep it for as long as I can.

I just bought my third machine, a Babylock Anna. She is the only one that has a certain sex along with a name. She came with it so there it is. She is a tiny, lightweight machine for me to bring along to my new quilt guild's Sit and Sew meetings. She can zigzag, straight stitch and 13 other stitches that I'll probably never use. She can FMQ with dropping feed dogs and a darning foot, though with the other machines I will probably never need her to. I love her, too.

There is my little family of machines. I think my family is complete now. I hope so, because I have a teeny tiny sewing room that is now overflowing into the kitchen. My family wants places to eat at the kitchen table, without me yelling "No food near the machines! Get that cup off my cutting mat, you know better!" Stuff like that.

Sew Perfect
September 27th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Good evening fellow Night Owls! Cyndi, that story was like a love story in my book. ;)

I have 2 machines, a Brother - Project Runway that is a sewing machine and an embroidery machine. The hoop is only a 4", but I like it anyway. I didn't pick this machine out, my dad bought it for me as a gift. It's the first machine I've owned. I've not names this machine, though I guess I should.

My other machine is also from Brother, NX-2000, Laura Ashley...Ashley, oh Ashley! I love all the stitches it has - 460 in total. I haven't used all of them, but I've sure played with many. I like how the feed dogs drop and I can do quilting on Laura. The stitches are nice and smooth. She has a large neck on her for quilting nice size quilts, and came with a large table. I would never wish to replace Laura; she loves me and I love her. I knew at first site, I had to have her. For over a year, I walked into the store and had to stop to caress her. I almost betrayed her because I was also testing out a Phaff at the time, but I just couldn't get my mind off of my Laura Ashley. Seriously folks, I did several test drives before making my decision. I chose this machine because it really did suit my needs.

toggpine
September 27th, 2013, 02:28 AM
My first machine I stitched on was Mom's all metal Kenmore. Someday it will come to live with me, someday.
I was gifted a super simple machine (Denim Pro?) and I was grateful, but I never used it. It didn't have what I wanted and I ended up saving my pennies. With my birthday gift $ from my parents I bought Bernette. She is a lower end Bernina model, but she has enough stitches for me. She also drops the feed dogs, but apparently I'll need an aftermarket darning foot if I want to FMQ with her. I have been very happy with her performance and she's light enough to take places.

About 8 years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a serger and bought one of the Babylocks with the air assisted threading. I love that feature! A sales woman @ Vikingin Joann's tried to tell me they were horrible and I'd never be able to thread it after a few years when the bellows wore out. It's been 8 and it's still fine and even if they do, I can tie the threads off and still change the threads. Dingbat! I don't have a name for her, but I still love having her in my sewing room. As I was a bit pregnant when I went in to buy her, the sales gal threw in a few fun feet for her since I was making baby furnishings and clothes. I have a ruffle and an elastic foot. Very handy for other things besides baby clothes.

It has been a busy day. I have a few more things shifted around between the office and the sewing room. Tomorrow I have work. Then perhaps I'll be able to keep up the work in there. It is supposed to dump buckets of rain here this weekend. I may be able to get at least one day in there. I really must muck out the barn since the goats won't go outside in the rain. They won't melt, but you can't convince them of that!

I'm headed off to tuck the kiddo in since she's asleep on the couch. She likes to watch the weather before she goes to sleep. She says it's so she can think about what she wants to wear to school tomorrow. That's my planner.

Y'all have a good night or what's left of it!
Cathy

pcbatiks
September 27th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Hi Night Owls..........I have a Kenmore.........it's about 28 or 29 years old. It still sews great and it is heavy. I think I bought it the 1st year we were married or right before that. I like that it is a solid, sturdy machine. If I could have a few new features on my machine they would definitely be.......needle down & a larger throat area for FMQ........plus a few decorative stitches would be nice. And if there is such a thing these days.......I would LOVE to be able to lower the needle to start sewing without watching to make sure the needle does not come unthreaded!!! This drives me crazy when I forgot. I bought a Brother machine at a garage sale earlier this year...it weighs a ton & it is about 20 years old. I haven't played very much with this one yet........it probably needs a good cleaning & service.

Well good night all you night owls.....sleep well!

Lindagie
September 27th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Is everyone asleep tonight? My first sewing machine was a portable that I got when I was single; don't even remember the name of it, but it sewed a lot of things back then. My DD used it for several years after college. It was a great basic machine and well worth what I paid for it. Unfortunately basement flooded one time and ruined it.
My second machine was a Pfaff 1222e that my DH bought for me back in 1977 I think it was. Great, dependable machine. I didn't use it for several years and put it in the basement when we built our new home. When I finally decided to use it, everything was gummed up and frozen. Got it all cleaned and fixed; worked like a charm, and still does. Love the IDT!
I recently bought a new Pfaff Performance 5, but it died after 6 weeks of use. They are sending me a new one. I really liked it, so I am hoping I just got a bad one and the new one will be as dependable as my old Pfaff. It has so many features that make it fun to use. I hadn't gotten around to quilting on it yet, but was having fun playing with all the stitches.
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkk
If I went to a sit and sew or guild meetings I would want a lightweight machine like Cyndi's Anna, or something similar. Maybe one of these days.
I do like the look of hand embroidery and quilting; love doing it, but I am kind of slow, so it takes too long at times. I would like to master some machine quilting for small quilts and other things. I do have a Grace frame for hand quilting, but lately I have been using Perle cotton and don't use a frame for this.

shawnan
September 27th, 2013, 02:51 AM
My very first machine was a Featherweight that my mother gave me for my college graduation (1973). She knew I didn't want to sew but knew it would come it handy every once in a while. I still have it, but rarely use it now. I was such a tomboy and had never learned to sew.

Fast forward several years: I bought a Brother - not sure what model and learned a few things about quilting. Mostly I liked to gather stuff, and practiced on different things but never actually made much - one or two quilts is all.

I had that machine about 5 years I think and had started going to a once a month all-day sewing event. Mostly my BFF and I wanted a day out to socialize, do lunch, and buy fabric. But I bought a machine, a Pfaff, Expression 3 which had lots of features that I liked, so I retired the Brother to a shelf. My new Pfaff was named "April", for the month I bought her.

Next my husband bought me a serger, Pfaff Coverlock 4. I had actually begun to sew and make some things. He wasn't my husband yet, so I used the serger to make a wedding outfit. I went to my dealer's Serger Club for a couple of years and really learned how to use it. I named the serger (male) "Tenley" because i got him on 10-10-10 and he is powerful.

The most recent machine is actually a series of machines. With wedding money, we bought an embroidery machine, a Pfaff Creative 2. We began to get the idea of the embroidery and about 3 or 4 months later we upgraded to a Creative 4. Now we were flying, but about a year later we upgraded that machine to a Pfaff Creative Sensation. I really love this machine and have had it not quite a year. My dealer has classes once a month and my hubby and I go to each class. He has had a lot of fun doing the embroidery. Her name is "Diva". I found a meaning online that I think fits her: a famous and successful woman who is very attractive and fashionable

So for now I am very equipped and satisfied. DH can embroider and I can still sew on the Expression or the Serger. As you can see I like the Pfaff's and have a wonderful dealer.

bkthomas
September 27th, 2013, 03:05 AM
Dear Cyndi, Have you received any PM's lately? I am assuming that you have not and I suspect that your box may be full again!
I keep mine cleaned out and I even delete the ones I need, causing me to have to ask favors over again! HeHe

Cathy F
September 27th, 2013, 03:10 AM
Hello night owls,
I have a Singer quantum CXL which I love, I bought it over
twenty years ago it was I think one of the first computerized Singer machines. It was pretty advanced for back then with an automatic thread cutter, needle threader, and the option to sew without the foot pedal (just push a button and off she goes). This is the machine I take when I go to a class.
I also have a Janome 7700, I bought it two years ago and it is a great machine although I must admit I have not used many of the features yet and still learning everything it is capable of.
My third machine is a Janome memory craft 350E embroidery machine that DH bought m for a birthday/Christmas gift. This machine still fascinates me as much as the day I got it. I love to watch it stitch out the patterns! I find the Janome machines are user friendly which is a big plus. I hate learning a new machine and having to have the manual out every time you want to sew. I haven't given my machines any names but I love them all dearly!

Granny Judy
September 27th, 2013, 03:15 AM
I agree with your comment about machine quilting.. It takes talent and creativity to do both, hand and Machine.

I have 5 machines.. Yes,5! Two I keep set up and projects at the ready so all I need do is spend a hour or so each day working at something. I'm also a Singer person.. I learned on a Singer, Gram, and Mom had Singers, and my first store bought machine was a Singer with the button hole cogs and attachment. I sewed my kids's clothes and did lots of repairs on their wardrobes, making curtains, and alterations on my wardrobe. Lost that machine years ago.

TODAY-- Let me start with the oldest machine..

I just recently purchased a 1910 peddle Singer,, Pearl is her name and she works beautifully.. On display for all to play with-- right inside my sewing area in the front room.

My work horse is Singer 500C, Sally age 5. She is loud, no frills but just punches thru anything I want to try. A few extra stitches, but just the basics. I do all my FMQ on her.

Singer 9960 is the Fancy , ton of frills, quiet and a dream to work with. I love the up/down needle position, threader, back stitch button , thread cutter, and tons of fancy stitches. Speed Control!! And I have used a few of those fancy stitches on a quilt.. takes a lot of thread!!

Sarah Singer over 20 years old and currently retired.. but is kept for a back up and doesn't have too many frills. I've sewn denim and leather on her without any problems.

My last and neatest little machine is Susie Serger.. over 40 years old. She was Free!! Don't use her to often, but she is set up and ready to go. Never know when a quick top or skirt is needed.. repair some curtain or spread. make those cushion covers, etc.

I never planned on having so many machines, but there they are.. Sarah had been my only machine for over 20 years, then I got into quilting... Seems the machines came into being when the Fabric began to grow..

I didn't get much sleep today, so I'm off to la la land and will check in later today..

Hulamoon
September 27th, 2013, 03:43 AM
I grew up with a White, my grandmothers. Any one remember those?

Singer, Kenmore, Singer.
Singer three thread serger. She was a b*tch to thread

My upgrades

Viking Rose with a four inch hoop. Never used it for an embroidery machine because you have to buy cartridges and 4'' is way to small. But I use her the most. I love her.

I replaced my serger with a Babylock Evolve. Can't beat that air threader. After my Singer I will alway's use a Babylock.

Now I have a Babylock Ellegante embroidery machine. But can use it for fmg because it came with all the feet:) I love the usb to download designs.

Then a cheapy Brother mechanical. The expensive machines won't do shirring. Imagine that. That's all I use if for lol
Oh and it has a better buttonholer.

kensington
September 27th, 2013, 04:12 AM
I've had two Singer machines... both basic models. The one I have now, is a Janome. I really like it. It's so quiet compared to my last one.

Judy, USMC
September 27th, 2013, 04:44 AM
My first machine was the Singer treadle that my mom gave me when I was 5 on the condition that she could keep it and use it. I still have it up in Chicago and the only part that's ever been replaced is the belt. Stitches wonderfully to this day.

The only 2 machines that I've ever purchased brand new:
- A basic Brother I got at the PX while serving in Okinawa in 1976. It's also located in Chicago. It has just started acting up so recently got a used Pfaff 1222 (recently serviced and certified as working good) at an Indiana auction that will replace the Brother.
- I bought another one while I was up there and (blaming it on old age) can't remember what it is. But I know the extended sewing table sold me on that one.

Here in North Carolina I have (by age) a single straight stitch Singer 99K that has had only the power cord and belt replaced. Purrs like a kitten and a real steal for only $35.

At auctions:
- First was a Kenmore I've had for 25 years that thrives on abuse. Old enough to be all metal and just needs occasional oiling and lint cleaning.
- Next was a Bernina Activa 130 that was only a year old - Boy was that a wonderful step up for me! Came with almost all the feet and a certificate for 3 more. This is the one that I do most of my sewing on now.

None have names. Most of them are old but really reliable. Hubby and I visit with family and vacation at time-shares for weeks at a time so now I'll on the hunt for a lighter weight "true" portable ~ one that weighs less than the old 40 pounders.

MayinJerset
September 27th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Since being a Night Owl I seem to be sleeping longer, instead of 2 1/2 - 3 hrs at a time it has been more like 3 1/2 - 4 hrs, getting more sleep but missing the other Night Owls.

I remember White machines. Way back in the early 1960's my MIL gave me hers when she bought a Singer in a big desk. The White came in a small wooden cabinet and had a knee press instead of a foot peddle. Used it for years to make curtains and sew a few things. It finally died so I got a Kenmore that also came in a little cabinet. In 1999 I signed up for a week long quilting class and needed to bring a portable sewing machine with me, no problem I thought I would just take the Kenmore out of the cabinet. Didn't work out as planned because the Kenmore didn't stand up on the table because it didn't have a solid bottom. Picked up a Brother at Price Club for 150 and used that. Liked it very much but it didn't hold up to the amount of quilting I did as it needed repairs often and that became quite costly.

DH said since I was quilting so much he would get me a new machine as my Christmas gift. I thought I'd get a Bernina that I tried out a few times but still wanted to try one more place. Well it was just before Christmas, the shop was a mad house mainly because there were machines everywhere, plus vacuum cleaners and parts here and there but when I sat down at the Pfaff I was sold. Have upgraded the first Pfaff a few times and am happy with the latest one so that's it.

Last upgrade the dealer threw in a Jem Gold and I use that lightweight machine for classes and sew ins. I keep it packed and ready to go in my dining room. Also keep the Brother there too as I used it for sewing pillows, repairs, etc.

Wait almost forgot my Featherweight! It is a 1963 white one that came with orginal parts and turquoise and white case, manual was copied. Works fine but somehow I never use it mainly because I don't have space to keep it set up. Need to have it checked out and put an add in guild newsletter. I don't have sp

Jean Sewing Machine
September 27th, 2013, 05:38 AM
, Hi, Klasien and I pooped out at abot 9 last night, I know it was lights out for me until now! So, I might be declared a nightowl drop out if I don't get off ths sleeping kick!

As for machines, I have a collection. Each has its own purpose, some are old some are new! I have a vintage Featherweight that I bought a few years ago, it's been refurbished but I haven't used her much. Her name is Barb! Then I have Two Janomes, a 10000 and a 7700. Both have been given quite a workout since I got them. Lately, I've been using two clone sisters, Singer 160 Anniversary and Singer One. They were inexpensive and very easy to use. One is retro black and the other is white. I used the white one while I was doing my work at the bridal shop, and the black one is by my bed for insomnia sewing. I also have 2 Babylock sergers, one is n Evolve and one a 20+ year old Eclipse. Tell that lady at Joanns that the air threader on the 20 year old works just fine, thankyouverymch! Then my sweet Pfaff long arm, (Tin Lizzie clone) helps me be very productive to finish my tops and turn them into pretty quilts! I also have two baby Janomes that my grandchildren use, but my granddaughter can sit down to the Singer One and work it immediately, it is the easiest machine to use.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Happy sewing! It's 3:30 and I just had a brainstorm for something to work on, may get going on it soon!

HdWench
September 27th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Good early morning Night Owls -- Funny how a few are sleeping More since being Night owls :-)

Cyndi I loved reading that story and the cute owls picture is divine!

hmm I began on a Singer treadle that my grandfather figured out how to add a petal to - That is in our cottage in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin until I squeeze enough room to pick her up - No name but it's a her! My grandmother taught me how to sew handkerchiefs on it (and learn to iron).

Then my mom gave me the Montgomey Wards 1967 that I sewed my Junior and High School clothing on, as well as an old Green Elna that takes those cute little cams... Now I have 2 Elna's with about 20 cams, but 1 is in working order the other I keep in case of parts -- There is a 3rd hidden in my parents garage (probably this winter I'll have to help sort and toss 60 years worth of cr... Stuff my folks saved to even FIND her!

Ohh the Montgomery Wards I tried to teach my husband to sew on - Him being left handed he always put in the bobbin backwards, cursed a ton and off to the shop she went again. The 3rd time he said his hands were too big to sew, I only smiled thinking of my neat repair guy in Tucson with fingers so long and BIG! Now he hand sews buttons on our clothing and presses all my gromments hehehe

oh scattered in the early hours - OK so then when we built our house my husband bought me a brand new Pfaff Hobby - Her and I have a long on-going love hate!!! When she get's all stitchy, I put up another machine beside her to piss her off for a few days, then magically she runs great for a while! She is pretty lightweight, but has good stitches, but every 3rd button hole she spits - So I learned to sew 2, then sew the 3rd on a scrap, let her spew thread and go back to the garment :-)

When I became horribly addicted to quilting I bought a Viking 875 Quilter and adore her!!! She has the hover and pivot for piecing, thread cutters, press and sew and 1/4" stitch setting. She has a 10" harp and I've been able to quilt up to a Cal. King on her but my shoulders and neck sure do ache when I don't want to stop often heheeh

I also have 1 industrial for garment making, and a Bernina in Texas that will come home in a few years *sigh* Oh I forgot, I had an old metal Viking Selectronic I got for my birthday from hubby about 7 years ago, it that lost some weird part last winter - When I took her to Ohio to have it services I saw a Pfaff Tiptronic 2020 and again it was about 1 week until my Birthday. So the Viking Selectronic stayed and the Pfaff Tiptronic came home :-) Gosh I have not even taken her out to play with!!! I trust the folks in Ohio with every machine and know she will be in purrrrrfect condition when I find time to use her.

Gosh I sounds like a sewing machine store all in my own, but they are scattered out! 3 with me in our 5th wheel, 3 at home waiting, 2 in Texas and 1 in Lake Geneva Wisconsin. hmm

I'm up and working on a dual project -- ohh can't say what because it's both a Secret Santa present and also what I'm going to use for Show and Tell next week - NEXT WEEK in Missouri!! Yahooooooooooooo

ok maybe I need more coffee do ya think :-)

HI Klaisen!!! Glad to hear you arrived safe at Jean's

Jean what did you think of that you are working on in the wee hours? 4 am here and if my dang cat Sandy would get OFF my sewing table I'd have my project done by now!!! How can I yell at this cute baby *sigh*

:icon_wave:

dwil23
September 27th, 2013, 06:28 AM
I learned to sew on my Mom's old Singer. I think it might have been a 305 based on what I can remember and pictures I have seen. When I was a teenager, she traded it for a Singer Golden Touch and Sew - what a horrible machine! Very expensive for it's day and never worked very well. When I was first married, my husbands grandmother loaned me one of her machines - don't remember what kind it was (probably a Singer, though). It was black and it was a zig-zag. But, it was a manual zig-zag! I had never even seen one of those - you had to control the needles back and forth movement with a lever on the machine. Not too easy. I managed to make all my maternity clothes and things for the nursery on it, though. I then inherited my MIL's Montgomery Ward's machine, but the motor burnt up in it so, soon after I went to work at the post office in 1988, I bought myself my first machine and I still use it today. It is a Kenmore 16 stitch. It really does work pretty well and suits most of my purposes. The lady who services it (gee, reminds me - I am overdue for that) tells me it is a workhorse machine, unlike so many that are made today. It's all metal inside and with care it will keep going for a long time. When I started quilting with my friend last year - she nicknamed him Kenny, so I guess my machine is a boy. I have also accumulated two other inexpensive Singers that people have given me because they bought them and never used them - literally. I used one in a pinch and it didn't work very well.

What would I like in a new machine? Larger throat for sure. Serpentine stitch (love the way it looks for quilting) and embroidery capability for a basic alphabet to do quilt labels.

I have kicked myself a hundred times in the last few weeks over a beautiful heavy duty vintage machine I saw on ebay. I am definitely on the lookout for another one like that. I would like one that has the capability to stitch through very heavy materials for my daughter -she wants to make her own dog collars and leashes, though I suspect when she realizes how much time it will take, she will change her mind.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 27th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Debbie, it's a SECRET! Wait till next week!

HdWench
September 27th, 2013, 06:32 AM
:icon_kiss::icon_tape::icon_tape::icon_tape:

dwil23
September 27th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Debbie - do you have nay idea how many quilts I would have done if I could keep Roo off my machine? He sits on it waiting for me to come and play with him. I trick him and lock him in the bedroom to get some serious sewing done, but then he sits on the other side of the door and cries like a baby, making me feel so guilty.

Iris Girl
September 27th, 2013, 06:59 AM
I learned to sew on my Mom's old kenmore it went straight forwards. After I seemed to take to sewing we traded it in for one that had a blind hem stitch, a buttonholer and zig zag plus reverse. sewed on that a long time have sewn on singer, white, riccar to name a few Then I researched better machines and bought my first Pfaff it is mechanical 10 years old and sews like brand new. @ years ago hubby decided I needed to upgrade to a better machine. I now own the creative quilter 4.0 by Pfaff. I love my Pfaffs and will never own any other brand. The IDT makes piecing quilting and sewing a dream. I do clothing as well as quilting and you can not beat IDT for matching plaids 3 males in the house means winter and flannel shirts. Plus it takes velvet like it was cotton. Not to mention a big throat , needle up/down auto cutting and so many decorative stitches. I also own 2- 30 year old bernette sergers that I love for the simplicity, one is threaded with white the other black. no need to change colors unless I am doing something special. At the moment I have 2 Pfaffs, 2 bernette sergers, a 1958 singer, and a white. hoping one day to find a working or easily can make working treadle machine.

Bubby
September 27th, 2013, 07:40 AM
I want to join the Night Owls but I can't stay awake late enough!! Can I be an honorary member?

cyndiofthevortex
September 27th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Barb, anyone can be a Night Owl poster! Go ahead and join us! We won't snub you, I promise.

Pfaff users, what in the world is IDT? I might be dumb for asking but I do not know.

Kathy, thanks for pointing out that my inbox is full. I never notice! I know that's no excuse. I also hardly ever listen to my phone messages either. I'm a bad person, I admit it.

If anyone has a topic they'd love us to talk about, please PM me! I'll try to sneak it in if I can. I love to write and I always am given something by God to write about. I even have a few stories I'd love to share with you if you want to indulge me. Not quilt related but fun, I think.

We're going to start having some "Open Line" nights where you get to talk about whatever you want, so start thinking things up, Night Owls! I'll let you know when those start up.

I love these Night Owl posts. What fun they are to read! Thanks for joining me here in the night, ladies. You all rock!

Did someone say that it was National Book Week? I thought I read it here and now I can't find it.

bkthomas
September 27th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Cyndi, you are not a bad person....please remember this!

Rules for becoming a Night Owl

1. There are no rules - All are Welcome!

shawnan
September 28th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Barb, anyone can be a Night Owl poster! Go ahead and join us! We won't snub you, I promise.

Pfaff users, what in the world is IDT? I might be dumb for asking but I do not know.

Pfaff IDT (Integrated Dual Feed) gives you controlled, no-slip sewing because the fabric is fed evenly from both top and bottom and because it is built in, PFAFF Dual Feed is always there when you need it!.

K. McEuen
September 28th, 2013, 12:15 AM
From a Pfaff tutorial page = "What does IDT mean? Its stands for Integrated Dual Transportation "

I had to really look to find what the T really stood for because in almost all places it does say feed.

toddbeall
October 19th, 2013, 11:01 PM
I recently bought a new Pfaff Performance 5, but it died after 6 weeks of use. They are sending me a new one. I really liked it, so I am hoping I just got a bad one and the new one will be as dependable as my old Pfaff. It has so many features that make it fun to use. I hadn't gotten around to quilting on it yet, but was having fun playing with all the stitches.

Hi,
I just bought the Performance 5.0 for my wife, and after she cleaned it, the machine no longer works. What happened to yours that made it "die"?
My wife has had a Pfaff 1473 for 24 years,, but the motor died. I am hoping that this Performance won't be a lemon. We have already had 2 of them before this one--on the first, the tension wasn't set right and threads kept breaking, and on the second the foot pedal didn't work (it worked fine on other machines, so the problem was where the foot pedal plugged into the machine). This is machine #3 , which my wife has used since yesterday. The dealer says that she has not seen any other defective machines!

Anyway, I'm just curious as to what happened to yours prior to its "death."

Thanks!

Todd