PDA

View Full Version : Jurassic Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
September 26th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I have been holding on to a pieced background for a wallhanging for seven years, not knowing what I was going to do with it. When I signed up for a class on Fantasy Applique, I thought, "Perfect! I'll make a vase with some funky flowers growing out of it!" I felt so relieved to finally have an idea.

When I got there I immediately began to look at different flowers and vases offered by the teacher through her books, patterns, pictures and quilts. I found one I sort of liked. I found one I could alter, hopefully. I did not find what I had in my head, though.

One of the other students in the class took out a piece of paper with a tiny picture on it. The image must have only been 4" square. I saw it from across two tables, upside down and tilted in her hand. There was my design! I knew from the first second I saw it that this was my design! It was not a vase, not did it have any fantasy flowers. It was a leaf. A funky, glorious leaf! After 7 years of zero ideas, a day or two of some sort of an idea, here it was, THE idea! Everyone had to shield their eyes because of the light bulb over my head.

Trying to be casual, I asked if she were going to use the leaf. "No, I just thought it was interesting so I brought it." I asked if I could use it. "Sure," as she tossed me the paper. You have no idea how happy I was to finally, finally have the exact design I wanted to use for my quilt.

I guess I learned a few things here. One is that it's okay to wait, even for as long as I did. I also learned that inspiration is waiting out there for you and me to see it, to find it. We need to just keep looking! Have you ever had that light bulb moment with one of your quilts?

"Take your time, let your work develop and enjoy the process so you can enjoy the results. All ideas may not come at once - that's okay; just take one idea at a time!" Mary Stori, "The Stori Book of Embellishing."

Here is the paper with the leaf picture, along with the beginning of my leaf applique from the class. I plan to take my time and have lots of fun with it.

Where do you find your creative ideas? Quilt shows? Books? Your garden? Your kid's drawings? Cards and Calendars? Inspiration is everywhere! Even on a piece of paper casually brought into a quilt class by another student. Her name was Ann. Thank you, Ann!

kensington
September 26th, 2013, 01:22 AM
All of the above and I make it up as I go along. I start out thinking I will do one thing, and I change it up and do something else. I fly by the seat of my pants I guess you could say. LOL.

bkthomas
September 26th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Wow Cyndi, that is really a cool story and Leaf!!!
I love it....saw some fried egg fabric online the other day and thought of you!

kensington
September 26th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Fried eggs? What are you implying there BK? :icon_heh:

Lisapc
September 26th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Another gorgeous piece from you. Your work is wonderful.

I get most of my ideas from this site and you forum members. There is only one quilt I am working on that started strictly in my brain. I wanted a quilt for my daughter who loves black, red and white. She is always gawking at those kaleidoscope quilts and wants one for her queen sized bed. I am not ready for that. I want to make her something special for her for Christmas. So I sat down with a cup of tea on the couch and just thought of Brenna. She is my wild one. She is the 10 yr old little girl that got a job to have more riding lessons because I said one a week was enough. She is the one that straight out told me she was and is going to make her own mistakes no matter what I say so just be there to sit with my mouth closed and comfort her if she needs it. As all of the good and bad things about our life and relationship were running through my mind I thought of the perfect quilt for her to cuddle with hubby or the kids on her couch. A wild feminine black horse on a white background, bordered in a red and black Batik bordered in embroidered while horse designs with a red border. It's name will be wild one. She is my wild one and I often envy her willingness to fall. This is the only one that is truly me and my head so far. I have the silhouette done on the background and will post it when it is all done sometime in November.

bkthomas
September 26th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Oh Kensy! You've never seen her green fried egg? You're missing out!!! Go to her page and go to her albums, the one titled "Finish me please"

Sew Perfect
September 26th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I am sitting here sipping my sleepy time tea, while reading this thread. Another great story and another beautiful project, Cyndi! I've done too whole applique projects and one of them, I made it up as I went. In fact, it was a pay it forward gift I had made for Mayinjersey. Now, I'm working on a third, but it is my very first freezer paper applique and I am really enjoying making it.

I love how yours has the pieced backing. Isn't it great to get to work on the projects we do and even come back to some of them after a while and finish them up.

Fried eggs, huh?

bkthomas
September 26th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Lisa, that sounds Beautiful!!!! ....and perfect!
I am working on a quilt for my DD also....I didn't realize until a couple years ago that she loved butterflies. So I got some embroidered butterfly blocks - they are all mostly pastels on white - I am having a hard time deciding how I want to do this!
Roxy and I both got the swirl JR that was the DD a short time ago and I have been trying to make it work by framing each block with a different strip....but I haven't done much with it in the past couple days. I guess maybe I should be more like Cyndi and take my time with it, but I have had the blocks now for more than a year! I don't know.....

kensington
September 26th, 2013, 01:54 AM
UGH... that reminds me ... I got some Snow flakes, beautiful light, med and rich blues on white when I was living in Wa. Embroidered blocks. So sew pretty. I kept them and tried to figure out what to do with them. Then, I bought some fabric... deep blue with sparkle snowflakes to got with them.... But, still did nothing with them. We moved here... we lived her for 6 years, I kept them and then we moved to Florida for a year, We moved back here and I have not seen them since. UGH... It makes me ill. Gone.... just gone. My pretty snowflake blocks. UGH... UGH... UGH... Sad.

K. McEuen
September 26th, 2013, 02:03 AM
The snowflakes melted in Florida!

Cyndi's fried egg quilt was a spin off from the comments made when she posted her Homespun quilt that she hated. We all told her what she should do to make it better, and somewhere along the line someone suggested applique and posted a link of different applique patterns. I looked and said "Anything but the fried egg." Next thing you know, she had made a little fried egg quilt top.

The homespun quilt ended up turning out fantastic when it was all finished. I'm still not so sure about the eggs ...

Sew Perfect
September 26th, 2013, 02:33 AM
I remember that quilt now.

My tea is gone and I'm off to bed. Busy day tomorrow and don't feel so well right now. Night, night all you night owls. No whoing at the moon!

bkthomas
September 26th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Whoooo....me?

pcbatiks
September 26th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Cyndi........love that leaf.........very interesting! I usually get my ideas & inspiration books, magazines, online and the ideas I really like are from experiences in our family.........such as memories.

Hulamoon
September 26th, 2013, 03:07 AM
I was watching TV and saw a stained glass window in the background, a modern one. I don't remember who was talking or what it was about. My dad used to look at the set's in movies, his dad was a camera man. So now I can watch a whole movie and not know what is about but what vase there was. lol

Lindagie
September 26th, 2013, 03:12 AM
As I said this morning; I fly by the seat of my pants most of the time. I look at a lot of tutorials, email sources, pinterest etc for ideas, but they usually just clutter and clog my brain. Sometimes I do them as seen, or change them up to suit me. There are SO MANY beautiful thisngs to try. Actually my first quilts were planned for specific people; my grandkids as they arrived in this world (or later, as I wanted them all to be different: and I haven't always gotten them done on time because I hand-quilted them and I am pretty slow). Then I decided to just make something LARGE because I had fabric and needed to do something with it; a queen and a twin sized quilt in the making. Then I signed up for a BOM class because I wanted to do some different blocks; a great learning experience. Then I made several rag quilts for various other people because they were quick and easy to do and I also had a deadline. I have had fabric for a King size quilt for our bed for two years, but have yet to pick out a pattern. (I tend to overthink at times). New twin boys in the family inspired me to make quilts for them, plus the ones for PICU that are readly to be quilted. Now it it necessary to set prioities, as there are so many ideas on my list and in my head; as well as fabric waiting to be used. My DD's tee shirt quilt got put on hold because of the twins early arrival.
I also decided to try one of those tote bags and that evolved into 5 Trick or Treat bags for the grandkids. oh yah, there is that mystery quilt that is ready to be sewn together and the two lap quilts that need borders. oh, and then there is the mug rug that needs to be finished and mailed by next week; Yah, bottom line is I just never know what will inspire me or what project I will work on. It is always a surprise! I think I am half-asleep, so am going to call it a night! Hope you all get some good sleep! Sorry this turned into a mini-novel!

bakermom
September 26th, 2013, 04:32 AM
sometimes i get ideas from books or magazines but usually i make up my own patterns.

MayinJerset
September 26th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Still a little sleepy so I can't think where or how I came up with specific ideas. For oil painting I use photos as my inspiration and take off from there. My quilts are mostly traditional patterns so nothing too creative about them other than color choices. I do have some art quilts that I began but never was satisfied how they were coming together so I put them aside. I take them every once in awhile and try new ideas but nothing pleased me yet. Right now I have a post card with a modern design on it and I'm hoping to use the postcard's image as the beginning of an art quilt for my guild's quilt show in May.

Misa, If the wall hanging you made me at a PIF was only one of the two you have made you really have a flair for applique and designs. It still hangs on the wall in the eating area of my kitchen and is often admired by family and guests.

Cyndi, Love your leaf, such creative use of colors and shapes on the leaf.

cyndiofthevortex
September 26th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Here is my poor, much-maligned fried eggs quilt top. It is completely Karen's fault that I made it! I love it but have no place to put it, so it is unfinished. I will have to quilt it soon as it really has some great fabrics in it. I really do like it!

I like all of your posts, too. I can hardly wait to get up in the morning to see what all the Night Owls have to say! I usually stay up for a few of the posts before I head back to bed in hopes of sleep. And of course I love what the daytime ladies have to add throughout the next day. How fun to get so many opinions!

bkthomas
September 26th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Here is my poor, much-maligned fried eggs quilt top. It is completely Karen's fault that I made it! I love it but have no place to put it, so it is unfinished. I will have to quilt it soon as it really has some great fabrics in it. I really do like it!

I like all of your posts, too. I can hardly wait to get up in the morning to see what all the Night Owls have to say! I usually stay up for a few of the posts before I head back to bed in hopes of sleep. And of course I love what the daytime ladies have to add throughout the next day. How fun to get so many opinions!

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me! I'll take it !!!! :icon_hi:

Lisapc
September 26th, 2013, 09:34 AM
UGH... that reminds me ... I got some Snow flakes, beautiful light, med and rich blues on white when I was living in Wa. Embroidered blocks. So sew pretty. I kept them and tried to figure out what to do with them. Then, I bought some fabric... deep blue with sparkle snowflakes to got with them.... But, still did nothing with them. We moved here... we lived her for 6 years, I kept them and then we moved to Florida for a year, We moved back here and I have not seen them since. UGH... It makes me ill. Gone.... just gone. My pretty snowflake blocks. UGH... UGH... UGH... Sad.

I am really sorry about the snowflakes. I hope they turn up someday.

Sew Perfect
September 26th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Okay, Cyndi...that is way too cute!

Loads of thanks, May!

See the rest of you Night Owls on the flip side tonight!