PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Question

mommadeb
September 25th, 2013, 05:51 PM
This is from a sock pattern my mom is working on. Here is the exact part she is working on: "Place scrap yarn for heel: Knit 20 sts with scrap yarn and then knit them again with main yarn. Knit even for 12cm." This is only done for one row.

Why the scrap yarn???

Mazzer
September 25th, 2013, 05:57 PM
You will find this is to be able to join the sock seamlessly when finished. Sometimes the pattern will say put on a stitch holder. Depends who wrote the pattern.

Marion

mommadeb
September 25th, 2013, 06:05 PM
You will find this is to be able to join the sock seamlessly when finished. Sometimes the pattern will say put on a stitch holder. Depends who wrote the pattern.

Marion

We're still confused. Her rows are 40 sts long. The sock appears to be all one piece.

quiltsRfun
September 25th, 2013, 08:17 PM
We're still confused. Her rows are 40 sts long. The sock appears to be all one piece.
Sounds like you only knit across 20 sts on the scrap yarn, then knit the whole row with main yarn, including sts on scrap yarn.

laf512
September 25th, 2013, 10:53 PM
I have no idea what that means. I have knit at least 20 pairs of socks and have never come across something that told me to knit with scrap yarn! Does the pattern happen to be online so I could take a look at it and try to figure out what it means?

krissyg
September 26th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Hard to tell without knowing what comes next in the pattern. Usually you use scrap yarn to create a placeholder for stitches that you will pick up and knit something onto it later, like a sleeve, or in this case the heel. Not familiar with this type of sock construction.

GrammaBabs
September 26th, 2013, 04:01 PM
i'm guessing these 20 will be a some point for "heel turning"... check out youtube... sock knitting.. mght be some info in video to help..I've NEVER made socks and want to try at some point.. just have to many other irons in the fire!!!!:)

mommadeb
September 26th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Got it figured out. My mom went to a knitting shop here and her and the clerk found out that part of the pattern instructions are missing. The scrap yarn is just to mark where the heel is and then when you finish the toe, you go back and join the heel and sole together.

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.