PDA

View Full Version : I need a nap!

Lisapc
September 25th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I am sitting her finishing my tea and realized that I am exhausted. I have two choices. I can go lay down and take a nap or I can struggle through and suffer and still end up passing out on the couch later with really getting nothing accomplished.

I am going to go take a nap, anyone else? Do you ever nap? Does it mess up your night time sleeping? Does it mean I am old now?

How do you feel about naps?

P.S. I think this thread proves to me that I am slap happy tired.

Bubby
September 25th, 2013, 10:36 AM
My first day of kindergarten I told my teacher , "I'm a big girl. I don't take naps!!" when she was making us take a rest after our snack, until recently I have resisted naps. Now that I'm getting older, I can see the beauty of a refreshing nap. I'm much happier and energized after a nice long nap. I guess naps are just one of the perks of retirement!

Judy, USMC
September 25th, 2013, 10:44 AM
More often than not my naps turn into sleep-fests. Then I'm up until all hours. With no job to wake up for my schedule is all off kilter. This "perk" of retirement isn't very good for me ... but I absolutely refuse to take the Ambien the Dr prescribed. Too many horror stories.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 25th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I'm ready for a nap since I've bern doing housework since 4:00 am! I'm all in for naps! Sometimes if they are too long, they messup my nighttime sleep.

kelliedi
September 25th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Well i don't know about anyone else but about 4 o'clock is when my brain, body, and anything else just turns off , like a light switch. So i take a nap at that time. Now sometimes those naps are just a 30 minute power nap where i wake up in a better mood and with more energy than i went into it with. Other times it is a 1 1/2 to 2 hr nap where i really sleep. I have now trained my boys to be quiet. If they are not a mama bear after hibernation with a sore paw is better company than I am if they wake me up. To me naps rank right up there with chocolate. When you NEED it you NEED it. enough said. Do i nap everyday- nope but when i do all is right in my world.

Cathy F
September 25th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I find some days I need nap, others days I'll sit down to read a book and somehow I fall asleep when I think I wasn't really that tired!

Lonna
September 25th, 2013, 10:59 AM
The only time I get to nap is on Sunday afternoons. Oh I do look forward to that time.

Coppertopquilter
September 25th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I need one bad! My little one was up every hr on the hr last night from teething and all he wants is to be rocked! I'm exhausted but love the snuggles!

LynneLeavell
September 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I find myself taking a 2 hour nap at night before going to bed. Then I get up and realize what time it is and where I'm at and get up and go to bed and sleep the other two or three hours and then get up and get ready to go to work. Now on Saturday and Sunday that is a different story. I will take a 2 to 3 hour nap both days. Trust me I could take a nap right now. We are having rainy weather today and I'm at work but my brain sure is saying a nap would be good.

Hope everyone has a great day.

CountryHut
September 25th, 2013, 11:09 AM
OH BOY nap time . .. I love a nap . . . especially when the hubby takes one too . . . then I don't feel so guilty when he's home . .
but the hubby says I dn't take naps . . I take sleeps . . cuz I'm out like a light for 2 1/2 to 3 hours . .
the hubby can take 2 or 3 naps a day when he's not feeling up to par . . . his evening nap he says .. he has to rest up to go to bed . . LOL*~ . . .

pcbatiks
September 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Lisa......I once heard someone say that......you know you are an adult when you actually WANT to take a nap! :D. No doubt about it......I am an adult! I'm ready for my nap now.......I woke up 3 times last night!

easyquilts
September 25th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Y
More often than not my naps turn into sleep-fests. Then I'm up until all hours. With no job to wake up for my schedule is all off kilter. This "perk" of retirement isn't very good for me ... but I absolutely refuse to take the Ambien the Dr prescribed. Too many horror stories.

Judy... I once accidentally took an Ambien .....drove erratically to work (too fast, but couldn't stop). When I got out of my car, the driver's outside mirror had a hole in it....clean through.... I have no idea how that happened. Staggered into my office. My DDbrought me a large coffee, which helped some.

I do take Ambien now and then, just to get a decent night's sleep.... However, I have leaned to take them after getting into bed.... If you take one, and stay up, you can simply pass out on the floor... Not good. You don't get sleepy with Ambien.. You are just suddenly asleep.... I'd rather get comfortably sleepy.

auntiemern
September 25th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I think today will be a nap day. Not this early though. To busy working on COC stuff.

Suzyq
September 25th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Crikey, thought I was th only one with sleep problems! Am up all hours, sometimes can get to sleep, but can't stay that way...always got crafting on my mind. Hot milk with a 1/2 tsp of ovaltine works sometimes. Tried a quarter tablet of Nytol, works but very groggy in the am...yes retirement threw off my sleep schedules...when I do sleep which can be 10 hrs a night, am out for the count.. Afternoon naps really mess up night sleeps, golly it's just one revolving circle! Still in my pj's now!!!

Lisapc
September 25th, 2013, 01:44 PM
It took about 1/2 hour to fall asleep and then I had weird dreams and kept waking up and now I am really awake. I tried to sleep my day away.

I am glad I am not the only one who needs naps even though I am only 43!

MayinJerset
September 25th, 2013, 01:56 PM
For years I resisted taking a nap in the afternoon even though I'm often tired mid afternoon. DH has long taken one for a few hours almost every afternoon. Recently I found that I really need a little 15 - 25 minute nap between 3 - 4 pm. I'm tired after doing housework, running errands or sewing so a little TV with a little nap is what I've been doing many days the past few months. DH would be taking his nap in our bedroom and I could watch anything I wished without hearing him moan and groan about the program. Worked out fine until we got a new leather sectional for the room we watch TV in, now DH is taking his nap on the sectional lying completely across one side with his feet on the conrner cushion. Well, his feet are just in my head space so someone has to change their nap place and it isn't me. After all I'm the one who researched couches, coverings, sizes, prices, etc. so I should have first choice. This sectional is so soft and comfy I could fall asleep almost anywhere on it but I DEMAND my head space cushion!

twnkeyes
September 25th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I nap and I'm not ashamed. :) I find if I rest for 30 mins. I'm so much easier to live with and get more done!

kensington
September 25th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I read somewhere once that if you are gonna nap, you should do it in 30 minute intervals, don't get into bed, just lay on the bed, and not to nap after 5pm. It's always worked for me. 30 min nap hits the spot and I can move on.

But, Lisa, by your poste it was only 8:30 am here when you posted you needed a nap... I'm not even up yet at that time!!

bkthomas
September 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM
How Long to Nap for the Biggest Brain Benefits (http://lifehacker.com/how-long-to-nap-for-the-biggest-brain-benefits-1251546669)

Lisa, take a nap whenever you fell you need to - do I need to tell you this? HaHa!

Sew Perfect
September 25th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Well, right now, I feel like my idea of a good time could be a coma! I think I could fall asleep on top of a flag pole.

Lisapc
September 25th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I am up at 6:30 am every work day. Hubby wakes me for 2 minutes together before he leaves every morning. It does not matter how late I was up the night before. I wish I could sleep for 30 minutes and wake up but I don't. I either pass out for hours or like today have weird dreams and wake up every 20 minutes for a couple of hours. When I woke up I physically could not get up. I am a bad sleeper. My mother tells me I was always a night owl and never slept right my whole life.

I know I need to rest when my body wants it but it makes me feel lazy. Right now I am yawning like crazy!

Hulamoon
September 25th, 2013, 07:28 PM
I love a good nap. But I keep one eye open on the clock because I might have to go to the PO before it closes. Now dates because of swaps. I'm getting super lazy and I need a slap.

ksap
September 25th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I have had trouble sleeping for the past 3 years or so and it stinks! I don't have a problem falling asleep, it is staying asleep that is the problem. I am usually up until 12:30 or 1:00AM, sleep for a few hours and then my eyes pop open around 4:00, sometimes I can fall back to sleep, sometimes not. If I get up, I am usually up until about 6:00AM, then go back to bed for a few more hours. The result is that I feel like a walking zombie, I have perpetual circles under my eyes and I swear there are days that I just feel like my brain is fuzzy. On the nights that I actually sleep well, I feel like a whole new person the entire day. Around 4:00PM, I go "put my feet up" which I guess is code for take a nap. Even a 20 to 30 minute nap really helps.

This whole sleep thing or should I say lack of it seems to be a hot topic. At least those of us who have sleep problems know we are not alone. :icon_sleep:

GrammaBabs
September 25th, 2013, 07:48 PM
hummmmmmmmmm... naps... a sore subject here.... DH comes from a napping family... his Dad napped every night before supper...when we first got married,, I worked later, would find him sleeping,,, make dinner then he would get up like a bear...In my family,, if someone was in bed and "not for the night",, it was if they were sick....Now that we are old and grey...and do what we want when we want... he "naps" most days in the afternoon if there's nothing else on the "ticket".... I sew or "puter".. NO TV for me during the day ...just MUSIC CHOICE on the sewing room tv...I like singers and swing...LOL.. Lots of my friends take "something" before bed... I've had about 4 times in my life that I could not get to sleep and it was usually because I had caffine and did not know it...too late at night... I get into bed... think about projects i'd like to make,,, I begin then in my mind.. and next thing I know it's "morning"... Even with painful joints... I fall asleep pretty easily..we bought a temperpedic mattress... wonderful (Bob O Pedic) for those that know him...LOL

Hulamoon
September 25th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Karen that is totally me! It's staying asleep. I could of wrote that myself!

I'm going to try the melatonin I think. And some sleepy time tea. I can't seem to get anything done lately except sign up for stuff I might screw up.

alliek
September 25th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I'm with Kellie! About 4:oopm I get sleepy. So I sit with my feet up and doze for about 30 to 40 minutes and then I'm good to go.