PDA

View Full Version : Help With Sewing Clothes

Longstocking
September 24th, 2013, 05:11 PM
For Halloween my 4 year old son wants to be a Disney character called Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Here's an image - that kid there in the middle:
It seems easy enough to figure out. But the vest has me stumped. I'm not very good at sewing clothes, and especially not at making up patterns. I can figure out the vest part but I don't know how to add that collar. Anyone know where I can find an online tutorial for such a vest? All the ones I find say, here's a vest pattern then just add a collar. Thank you, that's the part I want a pattern for!

bubba
September 24th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I would cut the vest out of black felt, then cut two triangular shapes for that part of the collar (try it w/paper first, you may be able to cut the felt all in one piece once the pattern is made) and I am pretty sure that will work. Good luck!!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 24th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I would cut the vest out of black felt, then cut two triangular shapes for that part of the collar (try it w/paper first, you may be able to cut the felt all in one piece once the pattern is made) and I am pretty sure that will work. Good luck!!
Oh yes that would work! It looks like a a boy's dress jacket pattern with a turned up ollar. Those patterns are getting harder and harder to find! I guess the pants are no problem, ekastic waist pants with a tie over the waist! With a serger, I can make those in 15 minutes!

Granny Judy
September 24th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Find a large collar shirt at a thrift store. cut off sleeves and bottom. Add some interfacing to the collar so it will stand up and walla!! instant vest. I did this one year for my Pirate Son.

Hulamoon
September 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Maybe this will help.
between the toys: Jake and the Neverland Pirates costume tutorial (http://betweenthetoys.blogspot.com/2011/10/jake-and-neverland-pirates-costume.html)

I made all my girls costumes. I made a felt raccoon from Pocohantis. lol