PDA

View Full Version : how to get spackle off an afghan

nyscpa2be
September 24th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know how to get spackle (mud/nail hole filler) off a crocheted afghan? I searched google, but I keep getting answers about Afghanistan.

Lisapc
September 24th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Just soak it in warm water. Spackle disintegrates when wet. It may take a day or two but it will disintegrate.

Sandy Navas
September 24th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Amy, what is the afghan made from? Acrylic, cotton, wool?

If it is simply the spackle that is used to cover sheetrock joints you should just be able to soak the area in warm water and then wash it out.

If it is a plastic-based filler then you may have to resort to using something like mineral spirits to soften it - but test first. Depending upon the fiber, you may dissolve it with mineral spirits.

GOOD LUCK.

P.S. I didn't realize they used spackle on Afghans/

nyscpa2be
September 24th, 2013, 12:19 PM
The afghan is a yellow yarn. It does have a little stretch to it but I'm not sure if it is a cotton poly blend or pure cotton. It's not wool - I would be itching if it was. And it is the type of Spackle you use to put up sheetrock - its the pint size "apartment dweller" bucket.

Lisapc
September 24th, 2013, 12:28 PM
The afghan is a yellow yarn. It does have a little stretch to it but I'm not sure if it is a cotton poly blend or pure cotton. It's not wool - I would be itching if it was. And it is the type of Spackle you use to put up sheetrock - its the pint size "apartment dweller" bucket.

Just soak it in water and if it does soften try the mineral oil. I really think you'll be OK. I got it all over my clothes and wood floor when I was filling in nail holes all over my house and I got it all cleaned up. You should be OK.

nyscpa2be
September 24th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Its soaking now, and because there isn't a cloud in the sky, it will be line dried - that way I can resoak if necessary - I try to avoid the dryer on anything that isn't normal. Thanks All!

K. McEuen
September 24th, 2013, 02:16 PM
P.S. I didn't realize they used spackle on Afghans/

Maybe someone was trying to patch a bullet hole?