PDA

View Full Version : Anne of Green Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
September 24th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Hello, lovely night owls! How are you all doing on this fine early morning?

Tonight I'd love to hear about the kind of house or apartment you live in. Is it old, like mine, with a crooked stairway and creaky floorboards? I love these things about my house.

One of my favorite things in the house is a drawing on the wall in the study. I was sitting at my computer and I kept hearing a strange noise behind me. I turned around and found a four year old drawing some kind of a map on the wall. I was just about to reprimand him when he put up his hand and said, "Don't say it! Don't say it! Don't say it!" I asked him what he did want me to say. He thought for a moment, then cheerfully said, "Say it's a nice picture!" It's still there, two years later. It is precious to me. I'll paint over it someday but for now it fills me with love for a little boy, who back then was our foster grandson, before his adoption. His life had been harder than most for his few short years and I loved him with all my heart. He is now my forever grandson.

See why I treasure his "nice picture?"

cyndiofthevortex
September 24th, 2013, 01:13 AM
The picture in my post above is of my home, done by our own Carol336. She did a wonderful job, didn't she? Another precious picture! I will always be thankful to her for making me a set of note cards with this picture on them.

After I reread my post I thought, "Uh, oh! THAT's not the picture Will drew for me!" He's no prodigy. His picture is a bunch of scribbles, a lovely bunch of scribbles.

bkthomas
September 24th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Wow, you really made me think and think hard - so I made a list of all the times I've moved in my life....it may shock you, It did me! This house we are in now is at least the 43rd place I have lived!
Uh, I have nothing more to say......

cyndiofthevortex
September 24th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Wow, you really made me think and think hard - so I made a list of all the times I've moved in my life....it may shock you, It did me! This house we are in now is at least the 43rd place I have lived!
Uh, I have nothing more to say......No way. Except for moving around the dorms in college, I have lived in a total of 5 places all of my life. I don't know how you did it. I guess you do what you have to do, right? I hope to never leave this house but I doubt that will be the case. I do love it here like nowhere else in the world.

Precious1
September 24th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Oh, wow! 43 times?!?! You were a military family, right??? Well, before we moved to here to Canada, I lived on St. Croix, USVI. My home was a one level house. It was ok I guess. I guess I can say it became a home about year 9 of owning it. We owned it for 11 years before we sold it to move here. Now, we have a two story townhouse with a basement. It's twice the size, but more compact, if that makes sense. I do like it because I'm able to have my very own sewing room in the basement.

I will say, home is where the heart is, and my heart is my family. So I'm thankful to God for my new home and the life adventure I'm on.

bkthomas
September 24th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Please note, I said "at least" ...I may have missed one or two and a few times it was back home with Mom and Dad....but still Wow!

Lindagie
September 24th, 2013, 02:09 AM
Hello; finally have a minute to sign in here again. Life has been hectic! Anyway, I think I have moved about 17 times in my life, including college. Don't plan on moving again, but you never know what will happen! We have been here for almost 20 years, so most of my moves have been in school and work when I was young. Since being married, this is our 3rd home.

Watching The Black List; weird! Not sure if it is something I will continue with. Just saw Sleepy Hallow; like that one so far. I like seeing all the new shows. I don't like it when I start getting into one and they cancel it without warning and leave things just hanging. I better pick some good ones then.

Now sewing tonight; cut all the grass today and I am pooped. Have a road trip tomorrow, so better hit the rack soon. Have a good night everyone.

Miss Sheri
September 24th, 2013, 02:35 AM
I moved around a bit when I was young, 20 x in 21 years ~ 6 gradeschools, 2 jr. high schools, and 2 High Schools. Since I've been married, two appartments, and 3 houses over the past 26 years. Our current home, we built, about 9 1/2 years ago and we love it here.

Judy, USMC
September 24th, 2013, 02:52 AM
Have moved 21 times. First move was when I was 10 ... the last when I was 36. Been in this home about 29 years and I'm ready to move again.

Every time I moved I was able to cull through my possessions and get rid of the clutter. It's just amazing how much I've been able to accumulate and keep! Although there's a lot ~ I still don't think the "Hoarders" film crew will knock on my door.

Hulamoon
September 24th, 2013, 02:52 AM
This is going to sound weird, but it's the hallway. It has smiley faces all over from my youngest and foot and hand prints all over the walls. They used to climb them like little monkeys. You know walk with hands at the top close to the celing and feet in the middle. It was so funny that I couldn't get them to stop. We were all giggling so much.

bkthomas
September 24th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Oh, wow! 43 times?!?! You were a military family, right??? Well, before we moved to here to Canada, I lived on St. Croix, USVI. My home was a one level house. It was ok I guess. I guess I can say it became a home about year 9 of owning it. We owned it for 11 years before we sold it to move here. Now, we have a two story townhouse with a basement. It's twice the size, but more compact, if that makes sense. I do like it because I'm able to have my very own sewing room in the basement.

I will say, home is where the heart is, and my heart is my family. So I'm thankful to God for my new home and the life adventure I'm on.

Nope! I think I may be a gypsy!

sewluvit
September 24th, 2013, 02:54 AM
This is the 19th home I have lived in and I have loved them all. I lived in one house my whole life until I was married and then we moved around. We have owned new houses and older ones but this is the oldest one of all! I always say it is one year newer than me! I was born in 1946 and it was built in 1947. It is not big or fancy but it is very comfortable for us.

dwil23
September 24th, 2013, 03:55 AM
I am currently living in the home I grew up in - my sister owns it now. I had an apartment in college and we lived in three homes during my 28 years of marriage, so I haven't moved a lot.

What do I love about my home? Just that - it is home. My parents built it themselves. My Dad's uncle was a builder. For the first three years they were married, my parents lived with Dad's parents "in town". They would cash their paychecks on Friday and spend them at the lumber yard. Then they would spend the weekends building the home. It took them three years, but they moved in mortgage free and never had a mortgage on the house.

After my Mom passed away, my sister moved back with Dad and proceeded to get a big mortgage to update/renovate the house. She had more than a few bozo contractors that have destroyed it. Now we have leaky windows, mold issues, bad plumbing, you name it. When we have a hard rain, water comes into my room between the foundation and walls. The house has become a black hole. After my divorce I moved back to share expenses, but it is really time for me to move on. The problem is finding something I can afford that will be suitable. Non Floridians have probably not heard about our insurance crisis here, but they are predicting some homeowners insurance will go as high as $20, 000 a year for a small house! We are on the river and therefore "flood-prone" which gives them an excuse to rack us up, even though we sit pretty high above average water level.

Both my sister and I are torn. We know we can no longer afford to live here, but we don't want to leave. My oldest son really wants the property that belonged to his grandparents, but at this time his job is on the other side of the state. Home is where the heart is and in that case - my heart is here, but I know I will have to leave sooner or later.

I would love to move out of state, but the only way to do that is to retire, and I don't think I can afford that.

Hulamoon
September 24th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Moving...In childhood about 7 times. Here in Hawaii about 6. I wanted to move back to the mainland, but my whole family passed away so there is no one to visit. My kids are here so I'm stuck. But one is on another island and I see her once a year. The other is so busy and only lives 15 mins away. Does she vist? no. I guess that's why I'm here so much. okay enough of me sharing lol

MayinJerset
September 24th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Guess I'm a piker in the move department as I lived in 4 places in Brooklyn with my parents, mostly on De Graw St. DH and I had an apartment in B'klyn and then bought this house in 1960 and have been here ever since. That makes 6 places that I have lived.

Over the 50+ years we have lived here our house has grown from a little Cape Cod with 4 rooms and a bath on a single level to a 2 story with 8 rooms and 2 baths, almost all of the work done by DH and I. His first DYI projects were a little off center but that makes a house a home. Our sons all grew up there and their kids know it as Grandma and Grandpa's. I remember all the different colors and wall papers I put on the walls as well as the different fabrics I used to make window treatments, bed spreads, slip covers and in recent years bed quilts. I have to say the present way the house is suits us perfectly, we live on the lower level and the upstairs bedrooms are our hobby/guest bedrooms. House creaks a little now and then but so do DH and I.

Cathy F
September 24th, 2013, 05:39 AM
We were married in 1966 and built our home in the summer of '67, and have been in it ever since. It's a cape cod style house and my favorite part of it is the sunroom which was added about 10 years ago. I love to sit in there and watch the birds and wildlife. The house sits on an acre of property and there are no neighbors behind us, we are constantly amazed at what beautiful creatures we have had in our yard. This year we had a deer and for the first time ever had a pair of red fox, and we've had our blue heron return looking to see if he could get the fish in our pond!

Mchelem
September 24th, 2013, 05:54 AM
We moved around a lot as a kid. I think my parents were fugitives lol. Not really, but we did move a lot. We rented until I was in 4th grade and my parents finally bought a house. I attended 5 different grade schools between kindergarten and 4th grade. After that, I stayed put and didn't move again until I met my ex husband. He was in the Navy, so yep, we moved a lot, lol!!
I honestly can't count how many times I have moved in my 40 years of living.
DH and I have been in our current home 7 years. We've married 15, and I'm amazed at the stuff we've accumulated in that time. I can see myself becoming a hoarder one day, because I am afraid of letting things go-I may need it later. Sad, I know, but I'm afraid of being without I guess. Pity for my kids, having to go through all the stuff!
I don't have any fond memories of special houses, I guess my grandmas house growing up-it was where the height marks were on the door jambs, and we were allowed to be kids. She encouraged our over active imaginations, and helped us conjure up fairies and gnomes and imaginary friends. I felt loved and cherished and comforted there. I miss her. Her birthday would have been Sunday and I guess I still haven't pulled myself out of fog and joined reality again. I

lilmouse
September 24th, 2013, 06:58 AM
My current apartment is in a duplex that is as old as I am and I love it! I don't want to count how many times I have moved...it would be too depressing!

Bubby
September 24th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Hi..I'm a part-time night owl due to bouts of insomnia. I lurk a little.

We live in a cedar home in the middle of a pine forest. Our home is not large or small - 3 br, 2 baths - a ranch. I'm fortunate that one of the bedrooms can be my sewing room. One of the best things about where we live is our property - we have 10 acres. I love to wander through the woods. We have three deer stands in trees and occasionally I take my Kindle and climb up a stand and sit in the tree and read. It's the coming down part that bothers me.

I don't move much because it unsettles me internally. I love roots and stability. When I was a kid my family was constantly on the move. I went to so many different schools that I always felt like the new girl everywhere. I made up my mind that when I had a family my kids would go all the way through school with the same kids....and I did it. My DD doesn't realize what a gift this was to her.

I love the idea of the night owl group. I'll pop in from time to time. Love you girls....barb

Hulamoon
September 24th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Barb that sounds so peaceful. I have two acres. There is a little creek in the back but it has that high buffalo grass. I haven't been back there in twenty years. It was a banana farm when we bought the property and were going to grow tropical flowers to sell. Kids came along. And so did two hurricanes that took down the bananas.

I actually like to grow herbs and green onions etc. I think you need a licence for the farmers market. There are several a week in different places. One only 10 mins away. On wed. I think I might go poke around and ask some questions.

The one thing I found out though is some people don't farm. They buy from the company that sells to hotels and restaurants around the island and resell. And it's right across the street! How can you trust that they are real farmers?

Lisapc
September 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I lived in a duplex with my parents until I was 7 and they bought their house. I lived there until I was 18 and moved in with my daughter's father for 6 months and then I moved back. Then 13 yrs later Dd and I moved in with Peter to rental house in Groveland, it was tiny and adorable. We moved here almost 5 yrs ago when we bought this house.

Our house is 97 yrs old. We have 4 entrances on the ground floor which means a lot of doors and for a very old home we have a lot of windows. This house has nooks and cranny's that I adore. My dining room has a built in ironing board and a separate broom closet that you don't even know are there until you notice the teeny knob. We were in the house for a month before we found the broom closet by accident. We have a couple/few acres and I love the land, a little more than half is woods. The outside of my house is horrible, it is an 80's soft green with chunks flaking off. We are just in such disagreement over what to do with it. We had finally decided to paint it and then they came out with this ceramic paint thing that is more expensive and we are back to debating. One thing I like about our home besides the woodwork which is great is that it is deceiving. From the front/street it looks tiny and whoever walks in that hasn't been here before always comments on how big it is inside. It isn't big it is just a lot bigger than the front looks. Wanna take a tour:

Walk in front door and you are in the living room, to the right is french doors and the family room. Walk through the living room and you have the stairs to the landing and further stairs to a reading nook at the top of the stairs with built in toy box and book shelves and a bedroom on either side. If you walk past the stairs you head through the door to the downstairs and another landing that leads to the vestibule and outside door, go down more stairs and you find the basement, walk through the clutter and you will be in hubby's workout room w/woodstove.

If you walk from the family room and living room you are in the dining room, sun porch off dining room as well as my sewing room. Through the dining room is an alcove, to be renovated soon and the bathroom is on the right. through that is the kitchen and the french doors to the left to our L shaped deck to the yard.

I love my house even though as we tick away "to do's" off the list there are always more added.

I missed this last night because I had the nerve to sleep.