PDA

View Full Version : Turning over an autumn leaf.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
September 23rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
Hi friends,

I'm turning over an autumn (new) leaf today and thought I'd tell you about it.

I got up at 5 a.m. to meet two friends and run two miles. We did it in 22 minutes (11 minute miles --- hooray!).

I have been an on-and-off runner for 25 years. But two years ago I moved to Missouri from Oklahoma and the hills have been my nemesis after running on the prairie for so long. Also I turned 50 and slowed down, which discouraged me. Also I took up quilting and all I want to do is sit at my sewing machine all weekend!

Anyway, the pudge around my middle is getting out of hand, AND the weather has cooled down, so I'm off! It makes such a difference when you have a running buddy to meet and can't just roll over and go back to sleep.

Please wish me -- not luck -- but discipline and health. Happy autumn, all!

Bubby
September 23rd, 2013, 09:09 AM
Good for you, Joan. I should be doing what you're doing. I ran a half marathon when I turned 50 and it's been slowly downhill from there (I'm 66 now). The last time I saw my doctor she suggested I take up running again. That's not happening...but I do want to get out more and walk. I do a lot of physical work, just not the aerobic type. Keep up the good work....the benefits are terrific!

Lisapc
September 23rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Congratulations for taking control of your body and more importantly mind. It is hard to make yourself get up and go at times. Good for you.

CrazyMtnLady
September 23rd, 2013, 09:37 AM
Good for you.....keep up the good work.

It's all I can do to walk back up my driveway when I go to the mailbox without feeling like I am going to collapse. Some of the hills here in the Ozarks sure are steep!

aliaslaceygreen
September 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
Good for you!!!

dwil23
September 23rd, 2013, 10:19 AM
Keep up the good work.

I never was a runner - used to walk three to five miles a day. Now, after two knee surgeries, and discovering quilting, those days are over. I do need to walk a bit more than I do.

Sandy Navas
September 23rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
The only running I get to do anymore is running to the bathroom.
http://mommyedwards.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/bathroom-run.jpg (http://mommyedwards.com/btch-slapped-by-karma/)

easyquilts
September 23rd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Good for you, Joan! Running 2 miles in 22 minutes is amazing.... I used to walk 1.5 to 2 miles in about forty-five minutes... Slow, I know.. I've never been very fast... My very short legs are the culprits,.. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it... It does seem to be true, though. I never was a runner, at all...

I am getting back to walking... No matter which way I go, from my hours, I have to walk a half mile uphill. Not easy, when you have gained a lot of weight, and just turned 70... Now that the weather has turned cool, I am hoping it will be easier.

My problem is that I love to be on my iPad (named Buddy), read, and quilt.. I can lay SCRABBLE for an embarrassing amount of tme.

So... Maybe we can all encourage each other to be more active...

Miss Sheri
September 23rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joan, you inspire me. I've never been a runner, but I do walk a pretty quick pace and with a long stride, (my kids have even labeled my fast walk 'Mom speed' and have refered to that as an actual point of reference in their conversations, lol). But, like you, I turned 50 this year, but I went from walking the 'hills' at my previous residence, to walking the 'flats' where we live now. That was too easy, and then I got lazy and quit pushing myself. I really need to pick it up again, but I lost all my walking partners when we moved. My husband will walk with me and we will go 3-4 miles a day, but while for him, he gets to breathe hard and works up a sweat, I am not breathing hard, and it's just a pleasant walk. I should start to run, but my joints all ache when I do that. I know, excuses, excuses. I just need to go out and DO IT! Hahaha.:icon_slap:

SallyO'Sews
September 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
Joan, I wish you discipline and health... And I surely would appreciate your prayers for the same in my own life!
Blessings,
~ Sally \0/

Joan@DebtofGratitude
September 23rd, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joan, I wish you discipline and health... And I surely would appreciate your prayers for the same in my own life!
Blessings,
~ Sally \0/

Consider it done!

Musical_Starling
September 23rd, 2013, 02:39 PM
Many wishes of discipline and health coming from over here too! And a little hope that maybe some of your enthusiasm rubs off and encourages me to get off my butt once I'm feeling better lol

Hulamoon
September 23rd, 2013, 03:45 PM
I tried to turn over a leaf a few day's ago and my shins were killing me. I think I better walk in the other direction to build up. Don't start on a hill. lol

Joan@DebtofGratitude
September 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
I tried to turn over a leaf a few day's ago and my shins were killing me. I think I better walk in the other direction to build up. Don't start on a hill. lol

Lorie, about five years ago, I started running again after a long layoff. I did way too much too soon and got a bad case of the shin splints. Some times, it doesn't take much to irritate them. Icing (taping bags of ice to your shins afterwards) helps a lot. As does cross training. As does Ibuprofin. The good news is it's only painful. You don't risk further injury and the pain resolves itself eventually. (It took me almost a month to work through it, though.)

Hulamoon
September 23rd, 2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks Joan, I'm going to try again. :) I bought two pairs of walking shoes at $80 each. Is that expensive? I need to better make use of them!

They are really cute though:)