PDA

View Full Version : Monday Greetings

Blondie
September 23rd, 2013, 06:39 AM

Happy Monday, folksies!

I think it is officially Autumn now. I think. I lose track of things too often. Honest to goodness, I am telling you, I cannot remember numbers or dates very well. Important things like anniversaries, birthdays, years - everyone in my family knows this. They do not approve. It seems that I should be the keeper of everything. Why is that? Because I am woman,sister, wife, mommy?

I blame it all on my fear of Math. Oh, I can add and subtract fairly well. I memorized my multiplication tables too, thank you very much. But once I progressed onto serious fantasy thinking like algebra, I was doomed. I just do not understand the entire purpose of it. Please don't try to explain it to me now. Brilliant minds have tried and failed.
So, if I can trust my hearing rather than my memory, I do believe it is now Autumn.
Let the leaves begin to change color before they fall to the ground!

SMILE Folksies!

shermur
September 23rd, 2013, 06:56 AM
Morning, Blondie! I've always been the date keeper in my family...I don't know what it is, but numbers I always remember. Although, as I get older, it is getting more difficult to remember! And since menopause has hit my life, my memory is really getting challenged!
DH, DD and myself painted the deck yesterday, so little sewing got done this weekend. The nice part was Da Bears won their football game last night!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 23rd, 2013, 07:58 AM
Hi all! We were at a party yesterday, and the focus of our afternoon was trying to make an egg stand on end by itself because it was the fall equinox. One gal was obsessed with this! Google didn't help, but one clever guy got it to work. We were all amazed, until we found out he cracked the bottom of the egg to make it flat. You know what they say about fooling all of the people some of the time...etc!

Got lots of sewing to do for the Fall Get Together, plus need to deep clean Klasien's bedroom! Too much to do in too few days! Hope Klasien leaves her hite gloves at home!

Have a great day!

MayinJerset
September 23rd, 2013, 08:20 AM
Good Morning. Had a good sleep as I was tired after leaving NJ on Friday for a retreat in PA and on Sat. driving from the retreat to visit grandkids in MA and home in NJ last night. We had a good time, got to celebrate grandson's 13thBday, went shopping with kids for outfits for family wedding in 2 weeks. Josi could always use a new dressy dress but Ben out grew his dress clothes and shoes from last year. We all got to see the house their Dad, DS#3, is going to put a bid on. It's small but completely done over and big enough for him and the kids. Hope all goes well with the house.

Had a nice time with pals at quilt retreat on Friday. So wished I could have stayed longer. Did get some sewing done in between the catching up, this year's Challenge Quilt awards and Show and Tell. We all went to dinner at Udder Choice in Ephrata PA and got to know new member Dave. He loved DH and my New Yawk accents, reminded him of an old girlfriend from Brooklyn. Did come home with more fabric than I came with even though I didn't do any fabric shopping at all on this trip, not even in the quilt shop whose workroom we were meeting at. Asked if retreaters would bring a few squares for the I Spy quilt I was making and 3 gals brought me bags of squares and yardage. Will get some photos posted later when I unpack my suitcases.

Blondie, I'm not very good at remembering birthday days, anniversaries, etc. so each year when I have a quiet moment in between Christmas and New Year's I mark my new year calendar with special days. I carry them over for the present year's calendar. That way I know when a Bday is coming up. Of course, I have to remember to check the calendar often or the whole idea is down the drain.

CrazyMtnLady
September 23rd, 2013, 08:25 AM
Good morning :)

Dogs wouldn't let me sleep in today, they just HAD to wake me up and go outside. Of course both of them are now laying here next to me and snoring away.

I love the fabric in today's daily deal. But I do not feel confident enough to enter the Iron Quilter contest yet. I still have no idea what kind and how much fabric DH will be bringing me back from Michigan. He said there was TONS! So I don't want to buy anymore fabric until I know what I have. I can't wait to look at it all...it will be like Christmas.

I was bad yesterday and didn't do my dishes so I have to get them done and then finish my outside work and then I am going to make myself sit down at the sewing machine and finish some projects before the week is done!!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Hugs and prayers to all.

MRoy
September 23rd, 2013, 08:50 AM
Good morning! I'm the one in my family who remembers dates, although it gets more difficult as I get older. The only thing warm in my house this morning is the coffee. But the sun is shining and it promises to be a nice fall day. I didn't accomplish squat yesterday!! I've got some laundry to do today, then I'll decide what else I want/need to do. I'm definitely not an Iron Quilter competitor, but I do like the fabric. I hope everyone has a good day!

Granny Judy
September 23rd, 2013, 08:55 AM
Been awake for a while.. dropped by the Nite Owl thread and checked on everyone. Am busy sewing my Halloween quilt.. Meet the Ghastlies. Want it out of the way so I can whip into overdrive and enter the Iron Quilter II. I found a pattern I want to try and I think the fabric "lovely" is gonna work great.

I have never been good with numbers, either. Had one of those teachers who scared the bee geesus out of me while reciting the multi tables. That ruler he kept smacking his desk with looked big enough to reach me in the back row! I did learn them but always with that "Smacking sound in my head".

Monique
September 23rd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Good morning to you all. The sun is shining this morning and I am HOME! I had the most wonderful trip but it sure was nice to sleep in my own bed. The best night's sleep I have had in 6 days. And I came home with such treasures. I will get some pictures later. It was awesome to meet Panda at the quilt show. What a lovely person she is. Philadelphia was nice, I did get to have my picture taken with Rocky at the Rocky steps, got to see the Liberty Bell and Ben Franklin's burial ground. That was all I wanted to see and about all the time we had. I pretty well bought all I had set out to buy. I did meet a vendor at the quilt show who knows Jenny. We had a lovely chat and I watched AGAIN the demonstration for the quilt binding too. There was also a demonstration on the use of pre-cuts and of course she was using all of Jenny's techniques and patterns and mentioned Jenny's tutorials. My room mate is now hooked up to Jenny's tutorials. She wants to make the table runner.

Now back to reality with cooking, cleaning and laundry. UGH!!!!!

Have a wonderful day friends.

And now back to the real world of cooking, cleaning and all that wonderful stuff. UGH!!!!!!!

Terri
September 23rd, 2013, 08:57 AM
Good Morning All! It is cold here in TN, at least for me it is. Have lived in SC for almost 33 yrs, but I still have my FL native blood running through my veins....anything below 65 or so and I am cold! My DH runs HOT all of the time, if it's 40 degrees outside he says it feels "nice". I keep telling him his thermostat is broken! Even with this menopause stuff...not through it yet....but getting there. Night sweats are gone, thank goodness. Nothing like waking up with my hair soaking wet and having to think "I know washed my hair last night and I'm "sure" I dried it...but what's going on???" LOL Makes me crazier than I am already! No real hot flashes....just portions of time when I am hotter than everyone else & it passes. Nothing like I have heard others talk about. I am thankful for my compounding pharmacist & my bioidentical hormones! :D

As for Autumn...wondering if we will see any of the leaves change significantly before we leave of TN on Saturday. Yesterday was a bit windy...so leaves are falling, but would love to see the fall colors.

Have gotten a lot of cutting, piecing & sewing since we got here. A lot for me anyway....some may be able to do what I have done in just one day. But I can only sit at my machine 2 or 3 hrs before my neck, shoulders & especially lower back are telling me it's time to quit. My chiropractor & his massage therapist are on speed dial on my phone! (and that's with regular monthly massages & adjustments)

Hoping to get back to the quilt shop that DH took me to on my birthday one more time before we leave. I'm sure he will cringe at the idea, but my justification will be I won't be able to visit again until we come back. And they only sell a few quilt kits online. He's usually more agreeable when we are on vacation....so I'm hoping he will go along with the idea. They have such pretty fabrics.

Everyone have a great day & week! Hugs to all and prayers for all who need them.

Terri

Renate
September 23rd, 2013, 09:00 AM
Hi dears at a beautiful sunny Monday morning. I was at the south part of Switzerland this Weekend (Kanton Tessin) and it was amazing, Lake Lugano, a Little bit Shopping, a Little bit hanging around in nice Cafés, having a nice walk and watching my hubby cannioning with his friend ... I got enough power for this comming week.

Power to all of you

Bubby
September 23rd, 2013, 09:05 AM
Good Morning,

We had a great weekend. We worked in the yard and got lots done. Then Jeff got called to work about 3:30 yesterday and that spoiled our dinner and the evening. He was just getting ready to relax a little when they called....arghhh!

I have a mammogram this morning in Houston. Afterwards I have to shop for a new trash can (I get to have all the fun!) and a few food items. I got no sewing done this weekend, but we did get to attend a nice quilt show.

Wishing everyone a good Monday...Hugs...

Cathy F
September 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Morning all,
Looks like a great day! I'm sitting here in the sunroom with my coffee enjoying the quiet. Hope to get some sewing done today.I started a new quilt top at a retreat a few weeks ago. My machine had a problem and I used another gals spare machine, it didn't have a 1/4" foot on it so there was a difference in my seams. I had to redo some of them so I can get the top assembled. Hope to get that done today.

Lisapc
September 23rd, 2013, 09:34 AM
Blondie:

I remember when I was about 24 and my sister called me to see if I had gotten a cake for my mother's birthday. I had totally forgotten it was her birthday so I rushed to the store to get one, grabbed a gift certificate and called my Dad at work because I knew he had forgotten too!. My sister of course told my mother and I swear my mother has never forgiven me for that. I am the keeper of all dates and I don't like it. I have an accounting degree and hate math. Hubby is really good at it so I have become lazy and won't even do the simplest of math problems anymore if he is around.

Donna: My Karli woke me up early this morning to go outside as well and I am not happy! I need some more sleep.

I like starting my morning here to see what you have all been up to or are up to for the day. Thanks for being here.

Wishing everyone a beautiful fall day!

aliaslaceygreen
September 23rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
Good morning! It's Monday, normally LaylaDay, but we passed this week, so we could finish the reno from hell once and for all. I think the last time I chatted about it, one of the pipes in the wall had burst?
Anyway, we have a toilet and a shower and a curtain! Civilization!
But, this 3 day install, started o 9/10.... is now ALMOST finished. Workers are gone. It's now painting the whole room again, because of the amount of damage to the walls. I was supposed to just have to touch up over the tub.

Since it was to be a quick project, we just moved stuff out into the living spaces...I don't have anothter day off till Friday, and since DH is home today we are determined to FINISH today. Off the computer I go! Don't mind shooing me away if you see me out and about, ok?? Hopefully all will go well, and I can get back to fun things, like my SSS!!! gifts.....

Take care all!

dwil23
September 23rd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Good morning, all!

Having a mathematical mind and pretty good memory, I never forget recurring dates - birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

Now, doctor and other appointments, I can't seem to remember for the life of me. I guess I have what's called "selective" memory.

We are having a few more days of rain and lower temps this week - all the way down to the upper 80's with lows in the mid to upper 70's. I'm looking forward to walking out one morning and the temperatures are in the 60's - I will think I have died and gone to heaven!

Prayers for those who are hurting and Blessings to all!

nyscpa2be
September 23rd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Morning everyone,

I didn't get any quilting done yesterday. But I did go fabric shopping twice. My dad was part of a tractor show at the local fairgrounds (we call it the carnival because it is so small), and there was a small flea market. One woman had 6" squares cut out and hand sewn but they weren't even at all. Yes, I could have squared to 5", but I walked away. Then we ran through WM - I needed a new pair of pants - right now, only one pair fits, and I got some halloween stripe yardage for the backing of several projects.

I'm not doing really good today though. I woke up at 11, and have a small headache, but the major problem is the water weight I have right now. I went into the hospital on the 6th, and have gained 12 pounds since then. I am convinced it is water weight - I am in pain all over, and am wearing sweatpants everywhere. I can't take a diuretic on the meds I am on, so this really stinks. Most likely I'll be given a new prescription to alleviate side effects. Right now I have 3 meds that are for my diagnosis, 2 for side effects from those pills, plus vitamins. And I'll be on some form of medication for the rest of my life :( :( :(

cyndiofthevortex
September 23rd, 2013, 01:50 PM
Today is DS#2's 27th birthday. How ever did that happen? Thankfully he is making his own supper for his party tonight - tacos with all the fixin's. DD#1 is making his birthday cake. I will be cleaning the house, though unfortunately I have a headache. But it is nothing because it is just a regular headache and not a migraine. I can deal just fine with these ordinary ones. The only playing with fabric I'm probably going to do today is to get it off the kitchen table (and chairs and counters and floor) so the gang can play board games there tonight. I hope I find a minute or two to read this afternoon. I'm only on book two of the Elm Creek series and I have to get going on it!

toggpine
September 23rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
Fall is here and it's raining. Hard! The sunflowers are taking a beating!

We just finished 4 days at the state fair with the livestock. Yikes! We are all dragging today. I even let the Little Miss sleep in this morning. She was going to be quite the growly bear if I didn't, and that isn't fair to dump on the teacher!

I'm catching up on laundry and other ignored chores about the house today. This rain is making me want to start a fire in the woodstove and dig out a hand sewing project, or just take a nap!

I hope you all have a good day!

Hulamoon
September 23rd, 2013, 05:28 PM
I'm so bad at dates I get caught off guard with my own daughters birthdays.I have a terrible relationship with math. My mom and stepdad sent me to a tutor. I still got C's and D's. My stepfather started spanking me when I brought my report card home. So one time I came home and put newspaper in my pant's. I think that's the last time he did that. Gosh I haven't thought of that in a long time.

The irony is that I became a baker and had to use math all the time. Mostly fractions, no algebra, thank gosh!

quiltingtrish
September 23rd, 2013, 07:06 PM
I remember taking algebra in college. When I asked her what I would use it for, she said my degree and if I ever became an engineer of any sort, I'd need it. The only thing I've used it for was my degree.

Hugs,