PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Owls

cyndiofthevortex
September 23rd, 2013, 01:23 AM
Could it really be true that autumn is finally here? Good riddance, summer! I do prefer the heat of July over the cold of January, but everyone has her limits, right? This summer was just too hot!

So, what are your plans for this fall? Are you going on any trips or have plans to do anything special?

This November DH and I are going to spend a couple of days at "The Gathering," a yearly quilt show in nearby Manchester. Our hotel reservations are made and I've been looking through the class offerings to see what I'd like to take. We'll swim in the pool and eat at the hotel's little restaurant. They serve my all-time favorite dessert - creme brulee!

Is there anything you are looking forward to during this fall? (I know for a few of you this will be a time to get medical treatment for things you or a family member is battling. Let us know about these too so we can support you.)

Hulamoon
September 23rd, 2013, 01:36 AM
I loved autumn when I was a kid in Calif. Walking around at Halloween with the wind blowing was my favorite time of year. Living here is so hot and humid. I just can't wait for it to it get cold so I can wear all those expensive sweaters I bought when I was on the mainland last.

I get tired of wearing shorts and tee shirts and flip flops. I feel so sloppy. But everyone looks like that here. So bring on the cold!

Have fun on your trip! I bought my dd a torch and cups to make those:)

auntiemern
September 23rd, 2013, 01:48 AM
Hopefully no medical treatment this fall. Of course everyone knows about the trip to M*QC. I am sure that will be the highlight of my year. DH will go hunting, while I stay home and watch the kids. Not even sure what is happening with Thanksgiving this year. Some time in November I will take the fall batch of quilts to the PICU. I have been having a hard time thinking that far ahead lately. Guess I need to get some Fall projects done to get me in the mood.

Lisapc
September 23rd, 2013, 01:53 AM
August through January has always been not only my favorite time of year but my busiest with the least sleep ever from the time I was a child. This year I am focusing on balance. I have to find a balance between what I want to do and what I can do. What am I looking forward too? Cool days, hot chocolate, baking with the kids, working on my son's train layout with him, sewing with both but mostly Kora. Having some alone time with Lillyana. Christmas day. I am making a special quilt for hubby, parents and daughter and I know they will all be very touched by them. I am also making simple Jelly Roll Race quilts that will go to my father in law and step-mother in law in Florida. They went there 18 months ago to provide respite/hospice care for her mother in one half of her brother's house and she is still alive. That is a good thing except it is really taking far too harsh a toll on my s-mil. The rest of the family does nothing and to say that her mother is a southern princess in a bad way to the extreme is not an exaggeration. I chose fabric that they will both really love and have something of their very own in a home where they feel so out of place. I want them to feel our family is still here for them on Christmas as well. My parents gave me a check for the sewing machine I wanted on my birthday so I am hoping to spend a lot of time with that machine and getting all of these projects done with much less frustration than with the little throat machine I currently use.

I am such a home body the only other thing I am looking forward to is a hike in the woods with my dogs and as soon as I can I will be doing that. It is one of the few times when the whole world melts away and I am truly at peace with no worries.

kensington
September 23rd, 2013, 02:06 AM
I love Fall. I will be having my annual Kids fest here where all the kids in the family will come in their costumes, we will do a craft, eat junk food, have a hay ride, a bonfire with S'mores and the kids will trick or treat here in some way, I may to a Candy hunt, like an Easter egg hunt but with the candy for the kids to gather candy for their bags. I'll dress up too. Another mom asked me the other day if she could wear a costume too. SURE!

Christmas is really my thing, by Thanksgiving Day, my whole house except the Dining room and the BIG Tree in the living room will be decorated for Christmas. That weekend we will go find our Big Tree at the tree farm, and bring it home to put up and fill with Hallmark ornaments. Not sure how many trees I will put up this year, but in years past it has been 15-18 trees. Plus my Snowmen village. Hubby and sons will put lights all over the house, and I have some yard stuff I like to put up too. I'll have my Christmas Open House the second week of December and invite everyone we know to come by, bring a snack, play games, win prizes and gifts. We have a good turn out every year.

I'm really not sure how I will be doing my basement this year... it all looks so different, but I will figure that out!

Cathy F
September 23rd, 2013, 02:18 AM
Fall is my favorite time of year. We got married in October and this year will be celebrating our 47th anniversary. I will be going to my annual quilt retreat in Lake George in November and looking forward to that. Four days of sewing! I usually get a lot of my Christmas projects done while I'm there and I look forward to seeing my quilt friends that I get to see only once a year.

ksap
September 23rd, 2013, 02:26 AM
Fall is absolutely my favorite season. This time of year always makes me miss upstate NY where I grew up. The colors were breathtaking. Does anyone remember ironing the autumn leaves in between pieces of waxed paper? Seems like we always did that for a school project. We would go apple picking every weekend and get the best apples ever. I can almost feel the cool crisp air. Fall is not quite the same here in Kansas, the colors aren't as vivid and no apples either.

I will definitely be traveling to M* on October 4th so that will be a fun fall trip. I am really looking forward to seeing the shop for the first time. I may travel to NJ to see my oldest daughter and her husband, they moved there in August because Brian got a job as a professor at Seton Hall University. The trip is tentative, I miss my DD a lot. It would be nice to see her and maybe I would get to see the fall colors as well.

My youngest daughter is a freshman in college. She is a cheerleader so I will also be going to her school for every home football game. I miss her so much too. Just seeing the box of pop tarts (her favorites) in the cabinet yesterday made me start crying.

It's a good thing I have my quilting projects to keep me busy when I am missing my kids. Along with chatting with my new quilting friends here. :icon_bigsmile:

bkthomas
September 23rd, 2013, 02:28 AM

Love the Fall!!! Looking forward to spicing up my coffee!

Musical_Starling
September 23rd, 2013, 03:22 AM
I love Fall. I will be having my annual Kids fest here where all the kids in the family will come in their costumes, we will do a craft, eat junk food, have a hay ride, a bonfire with S'mores and the kids will trick or treat here in some way, I may to a Candy hunt, like an Easter egg hunt but with the candy for the kids to gather candy for their bags. I'll dress up too. Another mom asked me the other day if she could wear a costume too. SURE!

I'm going to Kensington's house! :icon_giggle:

Actually, this fall I'm HOPING to have my tracheal resection surgery, but I'm not holding my breath for it (no pun intended!) My surgeon is really busy this time of year, he's primarily a cancer doc, so he's taking care of patients who cannot be postponed by a dilation like I can. But more than that I'm looking forward to cooler temps (which means less humidity and more breathing!) and lots of snuggling under warm quilts and watching movies :) Not much fun to curl up and watch movies when it's hot as heck and you can't even look at a quilt, let alone cover up in one lol

Mchelem
September 23rd, 2013, 03:24 AM
I prefer cold over heat anyway!! I mean, I can always put more clothes on when its cold, or wrap up in a quilt. When its hot, you can only take so much off before the neighbors start laughing or the police get called....

I set out stuff to make venison stew. And next weekend I will make chicken and dumplings. I love fall and Halloween, but not so much Christmas-not good childhood memories.

bakermom
September 23rd, 2013, 03:35 AM
Fall is my favorite season. No big plans this year though. an annual pig roast at a friend's house, Thanksgiving with the family. Not really a Fall event, but DS and DIL are expecting a new baby around Christmas. Should make for an interesting holiday season

turena65
September 23rd, 2013, 03:51 AM
Fall, oh how I have missed you! A few random thoughts about Fall this year...my DH and I just spent the weekend celebrating our 29th Anniversary.... his Birthday is in October, then of course there is Halloween... we sort of live out in the country so we don't typically get but a few neighbor kiddos trick or treating, so it's always fun to go to our Church's annual Trunk or Treat held on Halloween night in the Church parking lot :) and see the darlings all dressed up....Our DD is due with her first baby on Dec. 1, but I don't doubt for a second that she will be early, she's huge already and she's such a little bitty thing... I'm thinking how wonderful to have a Thanksgiving baby! We would have so much more to be thankful for if she DID have him that day... :) I'm in the process of making a fall/autumn leaves quilt for my parents as their Christmas present... my 15 year old saw it and says she DESPERATELY wants to have it, so I don't know quite what to do about that. Might have to buy another "Fall Foilage" layer cake and make another one for my parents and give this one to Natalie...

My husband is still looking for a job, he was laid off clear back in April, so he has been interviewing lots, sending out countless resume's and has several recruiters looking for him. Last week he was just offered a job with a company in Petaluma, CA but he declined it because it was just too far from all of our families and our daughter would be absolutely miserable there... she is the only one left at home... besides the fact that the cost of living there is so substantially higher than where we currently live, that he would actually be taking a massive cut in pay and it would be difficult to make ends meet... the Lord has a plan for us, for him specifically, and the right job just hasn't come along yet. Yah, so we are just sitting on pins and needles waiting to see if he gets a new job before Christmas and we will have to move to not, but life goes on...

We love going to the football games at the high school, snuggling under wool blankets and drinking hot chocolate while cheering them on! Woot! Woot!

Have a great night friends!
Turena

dwil23
September 23rd, 2013, 04:57 AM
No special plans this year - but fall is also my favorite season. I would love to take a trip to see the fall colors, but that won't happen this year. Next Friday I will take the 2 and a half hour ride to the east coast for my DGS first birthday and while there, visit "The Quilt Place" in Rockledge - a really great quilt shop - since I won't be able to visit M* this year.

Granny Judy
September 23rd, 2013, 05:44 AM
I'll be glad to have that first frost and get rid of all the pollen and allergens... been a rough year for my sinus's. Otherwise, give me a good book to listen to, cuppa hot tea, and a sewing machine full of thread..lots of thread!!!

I learned long ago not to MAKE plans too far ahead. Maybe only a week or so.. that's when everything goes smoothly.. any further ahead and cancelations start pouring in. Mainly it's health reasons, So I am waiting till after Halloween before thinking of going anywhere out of state.

We love Halloween around here.. and I want to take the scenic drive this year. I've lived here all my life and have yet to go on it. There are miles of beautiful trees and crafty vendors to visit. If all is well after the cold temps set in, then maybe a trip to DD#1 in Florida.. They have bribed me with a Quilt show and Quilt shops/shopping. Not as good as M* trip, but it will have to do.

easyquilts
September 23rd, 2013, 07:05 AM
Fall is my very favorite time if year! I love everything about it... I am always SO ready Forbes"sweater weather".... The heat and awful humidity of SW Ohio summers is just too much, anymore.

Both my DD, a grandson, and myself, have fall birthdays, so that's always fun...

I am looking forward to cold evenings spent under a quilt being hand quilted, chili, and the wonderful smell of home baked breaf ( I make all of our bread year 'round, but start doing extra loaves in the fall, for gifts). I am looking forward to sitting at my sewing machine, and enjoying our beautiful trees, which I can see from a window directly opposite of my sewing spot.

I didn't think my husband would still be with us by this time, so I am looking forward to enjoying the cool days with him.

Halloween..... The kids love Halloween.... Our church always has Trunk 'n Treat, and other activities for the kids near Hallowee. DH
loves Halloween.

I wish I were looking forward to going to see the M*..... That would be wonderfull... But, in lieu of thsy, I am looking forward to hearing from all of you who went,,,, and there had better be pictures!

Now that the air is cool, and clear, I can walk outside much more comfortably....

Yep... I love Fall.... It's the best time of the year.....

MayinJerset
September 23rd, 2013, 07:53 AM
I wasn't a Night Owl last night, sat down to watch TV around 10:30 and next think I knew it was 6:30 in the morning. Just back from a trip to PA and MA and guess I was tired.

I love the Fall too. Love this morning's cool breeze coming in the window, it is so much better than a hot steamy summer day. No big plans. DS#3 is putting a bid on a house in MA and if all goes well we will be there more often helping him get moved in, etc. We used to go apple picking years ago, brought my sister Carol and kids one year and she continued it as an annual trip for her and her family and now her grandkids. Not a big football fan so I do get lots of sewing it while DH watches the games on TV. First big item on family calendar this year is my niece's wedding in 2 weeks. Around this time the Christmas catalogs begin arriving in the mail so I begin to think about Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Karen in Kansas I remember ironing Fall leaves between wax paper, guess that tells my age as hardly anyone uses wax paper any longer. My teacher would tape the leaves to our classroom windows. Saw a bit of Fall color in the trees this weekend while driving from PA to MA and then back home to NJ. Mainly a touch of orange in between all the green and sometimes a bit of yellow but the tree turning has begun.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
September 23rd, 2013, 08:48 AM
Cindy, have you ever made cream brulee? I make it all the time and it's super easy. I bought a small kitchen torch so I could caramelize the sugar on top. Have fun on your trip! Sounds very relaxing.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 23rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Speaking of Owls! Go to Target and look around, you'll see owls everywhere! Pictures, clothes, accessories for your home, I saw them everywhere! We are trendsetters, for sure!