PDA

View Full Version : Little Night Owls on the Prairie

cyndiofthevortex
September 21st, 2013, 01:04 AM
Writing Assignment: How I Spent My Summer Vacation

How many of you remember writing these essays year after year in school? I do. All I ever did was go to the beach during the day, play games under the streetlight at night and once I was older, work as a waitress in a pancake house.

I was wondering today what I would say, all these years later, if I had to write up a synopsis of what I did this summer.

If I have to focus on one thing it's this: I let my gardens of pretty flowers get completely overrun with weeds. This did not take much effort on my part.

When we bought this house five years ago, it had no gardens, just patches of weeds in two places by the house, one completely taken over by mint. (If you really don't like someone but want to seem like a nice person, gift them a mint plant.)

I'd never gardened before so I thought it was pretty easy. Put in plants, make sure they get enough water, pull a weed or two every week or so and that's that. So we put in lots of flowers, all over the yard.

Back to what I did this summer. I stayed inside while we had day after day of 90-plus degrees, I stayed inside while it rained and rained and rained, and on the rare days it was warm but not stinkin' hot or pouring rain, I went to the beach. All the while, the plants in the yard thrived, but most of all the weeds. (I now consider mint a weed. (Remember this motto of mine: Friends Don't Let Friends Plant Mint.) At first I didn't notice the weeds. Then I planned to take care of the weeds. Then I was in denial about the weeds. Finally I did my best to avoid the gardens altogether. So that's what I did on my summer vacation. I grew weeds.

There's no lesson here about what the weeds signify in my life or anything deep like that. It's just what I'd have to put in my essay if I had to write one again.

What would you put in yours?

Jean Sewing Machine
September 21st, 2013, 01:13 AM
I quilted as much as I could! I sewed a whole regiment of British soldier costumes, circa 1904. I traveled a bit, and the weeds grew with utter abandon in my yard! Oh, and for 9 weeks, I was grandma to two big dogs!

Owls, I 'm hopefully signing off for the nifgt. I quilted and bound one very oldUFO today, and tonight I bordered and loaded another UFO ON THE QUILT FRAME. hopefully, I'll wake up all perky tomorrow and be able to quilt it. Also, going to a sewing seminar tomorrow, need to be awake and energetic!

easyquilts
September 21st, 2013, 01:17 AM
Let's see.... A frend actually planted perrienials on both sides of my house..,. She knew I would never do it.... I really didn't take good care of them, but they survived...all but the beautiful purple hanging basket.... I hated that.... But it is par for my gardening course, mom, of course coud make a stone grow.

This summer wasn't much fun.... Because of my husband's illness, we didn't go anywhere, or do anything. I believe I would have to turn a blank sheet of paper.... I can't even think of anything to make up....which I suspect some kids did. Sort of like second graders confessing to adultery...... You have to say SOMETHING. Even when there is nothing to say...

auntiemern
September 21st, 2013, 01:38 AM
I actually lost the entire summer. It was June 18th the first time I was admitted to the hospital. After that it was a whirl wind of tests and Dr. appointments. On July 26th I had surgery to remove the cancerous tumor that was found in my left lung. After that I have been in recovery mode. I did manage to get in 2 trips to the lake. One before my surgery, and one right after. I also managed to get Gabe's Sponge Bob quilt done before his b'day and right before I went in for my surgery. Just last week, I finished Gary's bass quilt. Now Summer is over, and I am stunned that I missed it. It was here. So was I, physically. Not mentally though. I do however plan on enjoying the fall.

cyndiofthevortex
September 21st, 2013, 01:41 AM
Marilyn, I hope this is your best fall ever! You deserve it, friend.

Lisapc
September 21st, 2013, 02:05 AM
How I Spent My Summer Vacation:

Slowly. I napped a lot. I spent a lot of time in the pool we got in early summer. I do badly in the heat and it was a godsend to be able to truly cool off while being outside. We spent hours in the pool with the kids and it was such fun. I watched the weeds take over the vegetable and flower gardens. I fed the humming birds and all the birds so we all got to see many different species we really never noticed before. I took a lot of photo's of the Mama deer and her twins that destroyed a lot of flowers and vegetables this year. I saw many different wild animals this year I had never seen at all and never before on my property. One afternoon I looked up and there was a bald eagle flying over our house. What a summer for animals.

I spent my summer surrounded by the people I love most and even though we went no where and did nothing I was still very blessed.

Hubby and the kids were all happy and that is the point of it all right?

bkthomas
September 21st, 2013, 02:15 AM
one word "Hawaii"

I wanna go back to my little grass shack.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50fEZI7XYCs

Sew Perfect
September 21st, 2013, 02:17 AM
This year was so different from the last. Last year, our gardens were lush and beautiful. We had tomatoes, green peppers, banana peppers, and Jalapeno peppers. We grew cucumbers, lettuce, cabbage, collard greens, broccoli and different herbs in the herb garden. Our roses were lush, as were the rest of the flowers. Our cat got out of the house and was killed by our neighbor's two dogs, so DH and I buried her in the back yard and created a beautiful memorial for her. We planted 2 hydrangeas and built an area for a fire pit near where she was buried.

Then the nightmare really began. Our DD decided to bring home a Lab/Beagle puppy mix. Why she did this, I have no clue because she certainly didn't have time for it. I ended up being the one to take care of it. As it grew, it became more wild. My DH called it a wildebeest.

As winter went bye, we began to notice our yard was being destroyed along with everything in it. So, DH and I told DD that she needed to get rid of the dog or move out. DD was 22 at the time and just finished school. She wasn't getting rid of the dog. Every month, we had to sit down and have the same talk. Finally, in April, she had moved out.

DH and I went outside to clean everything up. We spent so much time cleaning and making repairs that we became depressed because all our hard work and money went down the drain. Even our back storm door was destroyed. So, DH and I focused our attention on the inside of the house and I began tearing out the parquet floors in the foyer. When ready, we laid our new hardwood floors in 1/4 of the house ourselves. Then I prepped and painted our cabinets (the bottom ones at least) and we put in a new back splash in the kitchen. We were so happy with what we had accomplished. The back door is still the same and will be that way until we know it won't get ruined again because once in awhile, when she comes over, she brings her dog. Finally, she is talking about finding a farm for it because DD realizes the dog needs to run and as of now, no amount of training has helped this dog.

So you see? We had no vacation and We did nothing in our yard this season. We haven't even gone out to enjoy sitting by the fire. I've stayed in my house, so has DH unless he mows.

This is a long essay, but you did ask for it. I know as a Night Owl and essay writer, it is in my best interest to do my best. As for our lovely gardens and veggies, I will worry about that next season. After all...tomorrow is another day.

turena65
September 21st, 2013, 02:19 AM
Hmm... how did I spend my summer vacation? What summer vacation? One week in Idaho with our family for a reunion was pretty much all the vacation I had. The rest of the days were spent packing up our house and taking most of it to a storage unit to prepare for selling it and moving, and when I wasn't doing that I was working nights and sleeping days. That pretty much sums it up....

Turena

Granny Judy
September 21st, 2013, 02:22 AM
How I spent My Summer:

No traveling plans for me. I don't travel well these days and it is easy to upset my bodily functions with a change in routines. I kept house for DD#2, Sewed a lot on Quilts. Fill the 6 planters with flowers and checked them daily (or so I like to think) giving them what was needed..water, weeding, fertilizer.
Walked the dogs (we have 2 ) and laugh at their antics off the leash. The park is just a block away. Watched the Hummers and other birds that came to the feast DD#2 set out for them.. 6 feeders worth. Helped with the cook out over the 4th week end. Enjoyed visiting with all the K clan.. during another week end get together.
Mainly, I just tried to build my body back up from having major surgery a year ago.. It sure takes a long time for recovery or is it just fighting "old age". Maybe both. This was my first Summer that was Doctor Free.... No tests, no new meds and No constant checks or monitoring. Yeah, ME!!

Hulamoon
September 21st, 2013, 02:44 AM
We don't have much seasons except it rains, dries out and rains again. I kind of wish it would get cold. I garden mostly in pot's around my porch and deck stairs. Lot's of herbs and flowers. A chili peeper plant. Oh my gosh I took one tiny bite and I was burning for an hour. ouch!

I got my new jelly roll today! The Basic Brights. I bought it to make a rainbow rail fence. What fun fabric! I might add some of my stash to it for a little more contrast. Now to decide how many rows, hmmm

HdWench
September 21st, 2013, 03:00 AM
How I spent my summer...

We left home (in Arizona) mid-June and slowly enjoyed our drives up to Ohio. Stopped to see friends in New Mexico, Texas, and Effingham (Hi Mom! :-)

We had NO car or 5th wheel or Cargo trailer or Truck issues ***Thank you Lord***

I'm not suppose to be walking much, so was unable to work my shops, so DH bought me a 5' table to put in our 5th wheel coach that makes a great sewing, quilting set up. We learned right before traveling that our oldest cat Bonnie (16-18 yr old) adopted at 10 years old, is in the beginning stages of renal failure and has dementia. Our 14 year old was dehydrated during the Vet visit, so KayCee may be in the early stages as well. We stop every 2 nights to stay an extra night to re-hydrate them, so I pushed fluids more than normal.

We had a good time camping in Ohio then traveled over to Minnesota mid-August. I had a special birthday mid summer because my mom, father and grandson all piled in, and came to visit for several days. They took us into Cleveland to one of those Diner and Dive places for Weinersnitzel and fun. Also, my Canasta, Double-Cross and Spades partner online stopped to visit for a few days and stayed longer after we met. We had such fun meeting in real life for the first time after becoming friends and playing 8+ years online, I made and gave her a beautiful quilt. Our friends from southern Ohio were next on my list and I made another queen quilt called Cowboy Camping in our coach. They came to visit the end of our Ohio time and helped us get out of there quick!! I was able to take and show her how to use a trap, and she was able to catch a "baby making" feral mom, and 2 others! Now we are working via email, phone etc on making 3 little wild kittens more tame, or how to trap them my way. She did great and our business helped defray the spay/neuter costs.

Everyone who grows gardens who we know, comes to our shops to bring yummy fresh tomato's and hot peppers. Truly I know we are blessed. Without walking much this summer, I gained over 10 pounds and feel like it all went into my rear end!

It was even better to leave Arizona this summer, because all of early 2013 was doctor after doctor after doctor... Sure know what you feel like Judy!!! On the road it's been pretty good as I've only had to see my doctor in Minnesota (for pain pill refills and a new cholestral med), and 1 trip to the ER. Tonight I had my second allergic reaction (keep high dose Benydrl with me), and after 3 of those pills the rash and swelling went down so I didn't have to go to the ER Yeah me!!

Now we are both ready to go home with a wonderful week planned to end our travels. First the big visit to Missouri Star Quilt shop where I plan on buying a year's worth of fabric, and looking forward to meeting some lovely friends from our forum. Then we'll only have to move a couple hours away to have a weekend visit with our oldest grandson. Since this is a working traveling thing, it's not as fun as a Vacation, but having friends along the road has sure helped.

ohh my English teacher would be all over my grammer and puncuatation! uh yeah spelling too

And what was your summer like? :icon_wave:

pcbatiks
September 21st, 2013, 03:46 AM
Our summer was pretty quiet........we were thankful that we had the chance to take a small vacation to the Austin & Wimberly, Texas area during early May. DH works hard so it was nice to get away so he could just relax. The summer seems to have flown by........stayed indoors most of time in the AC........so hot & humid here during the summer. I guess we all have something else in common besides quilting.........we are experts at watching weeds grow. I would love for my yard to be landscaped with pretty flowers and plants.......the only problem is I want someone else to maintain it for me. I want the pretty yard & just don't want to do the work! :D If someone would do that for me I promise I would go sit outside and enjoy the view.

Got my mug rug ready to put together.......and now I'm going to sleep! Good night.......Night Owls! :)

Hawaii Roxy
September 21st, 2013, 05:10 AM
We don't have much seasons except it rains, dries out and rains again. I kind of wish it would get cold. I garden mostly in pot's around my porch and deck stairs. Lot's of herbs and flowers. A chili peeper plant. Oh my gosh I took one tiny bite and I was burning for an hour. ouch!

I got my new jelly roll today! The Basic Brights. I bought it to make a rainbow rail fence. What fun fabric! I might add some of my stash to it for a little more contrast. Now to decide how many rows, hmmm

I got that too!!!! pleaseeeee post pics when you are finished with it Im dieing to see what you do :)

Cathy F
September 21st, 2013, 05:50 AM
I too have joined the club of overgrown gardens this summer, between the heat and the rain the weeds managed to overtake the flowers. I had good intentions of getting out there to get things under control but somehow it never happened.
The highlight of our summer was two shows which we enjoyed immensely, Grease, and The Buddy Holly Story, and a week upstate at a quilt retreat. This summer flew by and now we're into fall and the weeds are still in the garden. Wondering if I should do damage control or wait till the frost just kills them all!

Hulamoon
September 21st, 2013, 01:02 PM
I got that too!!!! pleaseeeee post pics when you are finished with it Im dieing to see what you do :)

I will! It's really so pretty and colorful so I'm going to keep it simple. I love the notes you get on the order page. But I miss the one's from Morgan. She was always telling me how she was coming to live in Hawaii to go to school. She is going to Brigham Young. Did she ever write to you because you live here?

CrazyMtnLady
September 21st, 2013, 02:05 PM
How I spent my summer........................ALONE!

With the big guy gone all summer to Michigan clearing out his mother's house and getting his step-father situated it has been pretty lonely here. I have seen him a total of 2 weeks since the end of April!

I have spent my time, cleaning and rearranging furniture. Cutting down weeds that have grown as tall as me and mowing lawn. Cleaning out DH's barn/garage, picking up his tools and moving things around so he can get his sidecar motorcycle in it before winter hits. I am still not done with that project! I cleaned and rearranged things in the loft of the barn so we can store things when he gets home.

I have lost almost 20 pounds from all the work I've done. :)

Am looking forward to the cooler weather so I can get back to my sewing machine and all my UFOs.

Hawaii Roxy
September 21st, 2013, 02:49 PM
I will! It's really so pretty and colorful so I'm going to keep it simple. I love the notes you get on the order page. But I miss the one's from Morgan. She was always telling me how she was coming to live in Hawaii to go to school. She is going to Brigham Young. Did she ever write to you because you live here?

Notes?? I never got a note it just says thanks for your order Roxanne ,unless your talking about something else ?

PeggyM
September 21st, 2013, 03:12 PM
Notes?? I never got a note it just says thanks for your order Roxanne ,unless your talking about something else ?

Apparently no one wants to come to Baltimore, either. Roxy, I'll send you a note. It'll go something like this: thanks for letting me spend the winter at your home. :) ;)

nyscpa2be
September 21st, 2013, 03:33 PM
Maybe its only "platinum level" spenders who get the special note? I mean, I know some of us have enough purchases to open our own store - is Lorie one of those?

Hulamoon
September 21st, 2013, 05:48 PM
lol I could open my own store, but it happened way before I found this wonderful place:) it just got bigger lol

I get the regular thanks too but Morgan starting writing longer notes and sent me an email. I have her email addy if you want to write to her and say how come you didn't come to school here. lol

Miss Sheri
September 21st, 2013, 06:15 PM
How I spent my summer. . .
Until August, I was running around with my 19 year old son, who had just graduated High School and was about to embark on a 2 year church mission to El Salvador. (He is now there and doing great!) Mostly, he wanted to do every awesome thing he had ever done in his life, one last time before he left, so we did a lot of hiking, fishing, camping, boating, visiting, eating, mowing, etc. etc. And in between all those things, we shopped for his supplies and got him ready to leave.

AFTER he left the first week of August, we slooooowwwweeed waaaaaaayyyyy doooowwwwwnnn. Relaxed, breathed, hid from the intense heat, watched our garden go to weed, and then I found the Elm Creek Quilt books from the library... I have read about a dozen of them since the end of August and have four new ones piled on my table. I didn't join the group, since it started After I began and didn't want to keep anyone else waiting too long to have a turn, but I am totally into the books! School started, and I'm back to work as a cook at the local High School. Now I have time to quilt again.

MayinJerset
September 23rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
Big Weed growing this year for us too. DH and I don't have too much energy to spare but each time we had the energy it either rained or was very hot and humid. DH isn't one to garden and whenever I pointed out the 3 ft. tall weeds he would just nod his head. I know he was thinking, "What is she talking about those plants have flowers they can't be weeds?" 53 years we live here and he says he doesn't know the difference basically because he is a lazy person and it's an easy out for him. This Sunday has been declared Weed Sunday. Free soup and sandwiches for our sons who show up and weed. Their wives can help too, they can bag the weeds which isn't heavy work. Would normally chopped up the pulled weeks with lawnmower but it doesn't work. That's what happens when you have someone cut your grass, your lawn mower drives up.

No summer trips either. DH was wearing a brace on his foot and leg most of the summer so we didn't travel anywhere. Did see my sisters and their families several times early in the summer for family celebrations so that was at least a little summer fun.