PDA

View Full Version : Winter travel through Missouri,Nebraska and the Dakotas

bellasnanny247
September 20th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I am planning a road trip to Minot,ND to visit my son and his family-mainly my new grandson who was born in June. Thank goodness for Facebook-but I am really wanting to go visit. I will have 2 weeks off for Christmas holidays and want to make the trip from Ohio. Flying is out-way to costly--so it's either the train or drive. I am leaning towards a road trip-since I can fit in a stop in Hamilton to see MSQC in person and then head to Bellevue,NE to visit some other relatives. My question for natives is how bad are the roads during the winter? My travel dates will be 12/22-1/2. It is a long trip-so will take me at least 2-2.5 days,maybe 3. I want to enjoy visiting some small towns along the way.

auntiemern
September 20th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Hard to say. The weather here is so unpredictable. One Christmas it will be snowing and end up with 12" of the white fluffy stuff, and the next year it will be 60* Basically it is a crap shoot at best.

HdWench
September 20th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Don't know how far you like to drive every day, but we drove from Madison OH to Minneapolis and it took a day and 1/2 !! That was in good weather. Going through the lower loop in Chicago is great at 9 pm haha Any other time is crazy! Glad you get some time off to go visit

Jean Sewing Machine
September 20th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Got to agree with Marilyn, it varies from day to day, year to year. Much of our weather is born in the Dakotas, and comes down through northwest Mo. The southern stuff comes up through Oklahoma, right up I-44 and is often the big heavy snow. Or as Marilyn said, it could be mild and beautiful. It just changes quickly.

K. McEuen
September 20th, 2013, 08:46 PM
If it takes you 3 days to get there, going with the longest time since weather may be bad, you are going to have to get a hotel room for 2 nights. That might be $150.00 for 2 nights, or more, since hotels are known to jack up their prices during the holidays. Add to that the cost of gas and I'm not sure you won't be spending just as much or more driving. I found flights on Delta from Cincinnati to Minot for $412.00 round trip.

Gayle Russell
September 20th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I'm with Karen! I grew up in Wyoming. The weather is soooo unpredictable. Last year for Christmas we drove from here to there. It snowed on us practically the whole time-2 weeks. That was the most snow they got all winter. We ended up driving home all the way in snow until we got to northern Texas. Flying is the only way to go!

Bubby
September 20th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Ditto what was said above. Missouri weather is unpredictable at best. We find it difficult to make short-term plans all winter.

Sew Perfect
September 20th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I prefer driving over flying. All those quilt shops and antique shops to stop at. Oh, and the open road with the cold wind in my hair and the sites to see! Have fun!

P.S. Others may have a point about the weather during that time of year. It's very unpredictable.

JenCab
September 20th, 2013, 10:35 PM
In Nebraska 2 years ago on Christmas Day it was sunny and 65 degrees (everyone was out in shorts) and last year we had 6 inches of snow. So you never know. We have a saying "If you don't like the weather wait till tomorrow, it will change."
And when you are in the Omaha Area and want so do a little fabric shopping stop at The Quilt Studio (L and 50th St).

Lilly
September 21st, 2013, 12:58 AM
I just think you're crazy to drive. I grew up in ND and the wind whips across the plains with what we called "ground blizzards". Great visibility 8 feet or 10 feet up but the snow across the the flat-ness made huge and long lasting zero visibility storms at road level. And as you drive along the road there will be a stretch of trees that will block all the snow and then the road is a sheet of glazed ice. Add to that the weather which is usually 0 and maybe much much worse at that time of year in North Dakota and you have some really dangerous conditions. We quit going back home from MN for winter holidays because it was always a white knuckle drive. Oh - the trains freeze up on the tracks and have to be thawed out to get moving again and because of that they are NEVER on time. Try sitting out on the plains for 6 hours while the train gets worked on. Still thats only the ND portion - the rest of your drive others can speak to but I think you better learn how to drive in ice down there. Bring warm clothes, good provisions, fully charged cell phone and a red rag to tie to the top of your antenna - and STAY WITH YOUR CAR. Can't you just go before winter???