PDA

View Full Version : The Young and the Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
September 20th, 2013, 01:02 AM
I have a terrible confession to make. I hope it does not offend anyone.I am a quilt snob. I have not personally liked machine stitched binding. I have seen it done well but whenever I have tried it it has come out looking so hideous that I simply convinced myself that I like the binding sewn down by hand much better.

Well, I have been educated, literally. I spent all day on Wednesday in a class on how to finish off quilts, as in finish them and not as in killing them, which my machine quilted binding would do. An amazingly knowledgeable quilter showed me the error of my ways. Her machine binding was close to perfect. While I of course aspire to making mine as nice as possible, I only hope to be half as good as she is.

She showed us all kinds of "tricks-or-the-trade" in binding a quilt by machine. Where do I buy those binding clips? How do I program my machine to do tiny buttonhole stitches? What color threads to use? I learned just about everything there is to know about binding a quilt. I also learned cool ways to miter inside a quilt and on a border. I learned an even cooler way to make prairie points and a super-cool way to make piping with and without cording, on the outside to use instead of binding and inside next to the binding to add some pizzazz to the quilt.

But the most important lesson I learned was that I was wrong. I was wrong about machine binding and more importantly I was wrong about judging a group of people I did not know. I have mentioned elsewhere that I am newly part of two guilds, one friendly and one not-so-friendly. Well, I must repent of thinking of one of them as not-so-friendly. When I went to the guild meeting Tuesday night three people in the group invited me to join them at this class. One suggested she could pick me up. At the class they were all as nice as could be. I talked to one woman who was sitting alone with no one to talk to at her table. I went over to talk to her a number of times and she then invited me to go to lunch with her! The woman I rode with may become a real friend. We laughed all the way there and back and I hope to see her again soon.

I was also asked to join a group of them helping the judges to judge the quilts for the October quilt show and once again was offered a ride. (It's hard for me to get a car since 6 of us in the family carpool using 3 cars.) When I found out there was a fantastic lunch being served I signed up immediately. It took four months but I am being included in the lives of these women. Granted, I have been pushing my way in as hard as I can, but I am finding great success. Yay for new quilty friends!

The lessons I learned were to take the initiative, jump in whenever and wherever possible, join guilds and classes and look for the best in people. Stop focusing on myself (it's really not all about me) and focus on others. Look for both need and opportunity out there in the world. I'm really happy I did. I'm so encouraged to find quilting friends who live here around me. It turns out they are everywhere! Who knew? Not me, until I really began to look.

“To affirm a person is to see the good in them that they cannot see in themselves and to repeat it in spite of appearances to the contrary. Please, this is not some Pollyanna optimism … but rather like a fine radar system that is tuned in to the true, the good, and the beautiful.”

Brennan Manning "The Furious Longing of God"

K. McEuen
September 20th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Ha, I used to do the HTML for the newspaper in town. It was almost like second nature to me. I could code it faster by hand most of the time rather than using the program to insert all the tags.

It sounds like your guilds are working out great for you! The ones I've looked into never seem to have convenient meeting times for me.

turena65
September 20th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Whew! Soooo much easier to read now!

I too was happy to discover that the people I have met through the LQS are just about the kindest, sweetest, friendliest people I know. We live in a VERY small town and I thought I knew most people... not so! I am happy to make not only new friends, but to glean from them their knowledge of many collective years of experience quilting. Through their trials and errors, I have learned many "tricks of the trade", how to be a better quilter and what joy can be had making friends with a similar hobby.. I will be sad to move when hubby finds a new job, probably very soon, but there are always new quilty friends to be had and will probably be just as kind, sweet, friendly and generous as those I already know....INCLUDING on this forum! :)

Have a great night fellow night owls!

Turena

cyndiofthevortex
September 20th, 2013, 01:26 AM
It sounds like your guilds are working out great for you! The ones I've looked into never seem to have convenient meeting times for me.I'm very thankful I learned that I was wrong to judge other people based on so little information. I should have given them more than a month or two to form an opinion. You can teach an old dog new tricks. And learning to machine bind was just an added bonus!

Lisapc
September 20th, 2013, 01:32 AM
I am so happy that you have found real life quilting friends. The only one I have is the owner of the LQS and I am just not ready to commit to meeting and such that I don't think I am ready for a guild. I am happy for you though and I know your area very well and it surprises me at how many quilters there are in that area. Who knew? It makes me wonder if it has always been this way or is it a new thing up there. Back 20 yrs ago I was at every flea market, festival and fair and never saw a quilt in sight except for the Rochester fair. I have always loved handmade and would have remembered seeing quilts. I was always in awe of them.

You sound so happy Cyndi I am happy for you.

K. McEuen
September 20th, 2013, 01:35 AM
I like to stitch that last step by hand. It's relaxing for me and pretty much the only handwork I do anymore, except working on my hexi quilt.

The sticking binding down with Elmer's Glue is interesting. I'm going to have to try it, the whole "set the glue with the iron" part of it baffles me. If that really works, it's a neat trick.

Granny Judy
September 20th, 2013, 01:38 AM
Good for you... Perseverance is the KEY . And I've learned so much from hanging out with you gals, here on the forum. I don't drive, yet can call a cab once I find a group of quilters. I'm still looking for them. I did find a great quilt shop near me and they have classes!! May have to sign up for one soon. Just haven't seen one that I'm interested in yet.

I am up tonight working on a Ghastlie quilt top. Halloween is right around the corner and I need one to throw over the couch for everyday use. Then it is Christmas!!! I'm sure I'll be caught up some day... LOL.

Precious1
September 20th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Cyndi, it goes to show you are never too old to learn and you are humble enough to admit you were wrong and see the good. My favorite saying is the day I die is the day I will stop learning. Every moment of everyday is a learning experience. Another thing that I've learned is to try and put myself in the other persons "shoes". I may not know if they are shy or are walking wounded and have a hard shell to protect themselves. So I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
True story, lady at hubby's job was always very rude and abrasive towards colleges to he point no one wanted to work with her. At a company dinner, hubby sits by her and they start to talk. He finds out she lost her husband and child in an automobile accident. He now looks at her differently.
That is why we have to always smile like how Blondie says. I've always believed and done that before I joined this forum. We never know if our smile might be the best thing that happened to someone that day. On a side note, hope you took note on the machine binding so you can show us how it looks on one of your quilts

Jean Sewing Machine
September 20th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Wow, Night Owls, such insight tonight! Thanks for the story, Cyndi! I think you should be a storyteller, I love your nighttime stories! They don't put me to sleep, but give me something o mull over while trying to fall asleep!

Sew Perfect
September 20th, 2013, 02:24 AM

Speaking of binding! Guess what I've been sewing on all day? BINDING!!!! Let's face it, binding is a must when we make our quilts. I've tried to do it by machine as well, and I'm ashamed to say that I truly stink at it. Sew, I am putting the binding on my quilt by hand.

We've had lots of thunderstorms today and the electricity even threatened to go off and stay that way. I would have been unhappy had I been sewing with my machine today, but I wasn't. But, I didn't cook dinner and we went out. That was nice because we ended up at the place our son works as a server. He's good at it while at work, I just wish he would do it at home too! :lol:

Last night, I went to bed and fell asleep at about 12:15. I must have been very tired from all of my late nights because I got 12 hours. I never do that! It was good too. Although, I didn't like the part when I was dreaming about jumping off the side of a cruise ship. The funny thing about my dream is that it turned into the Waltons and I was sitting by the radio, sewing with the grandma and Livy. Next thing I knew, my DH was waking me up to tell me he was home. I was so confused, I asked him for the time and he told me 12:30 in the afternoon. Wow! I slept half my day away! I promise, I am NO LUSH! :icon_rofl:

I watched a few of Jenny's tuts tonight. They are so good. I don't know how I feel about appliqueing the drunkards path though. I've made the blocks before, but only set in the seams. I'll need to give Jenny's way a try. I so wish I could keep up and make all of her quilts, but it's sew hard.

Now, here's a little picture of myself with one of our favs...56219 Yes, this is me being silly!

MayinJerset
September 20th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Great Cindy, Learning new techniques and getting to know more quilters in your guild.

Finishing my packing and hope everything fits into the car. Extra totes of Show and Tell plus projects to work on, plus extra clothes as it may be a bit colder in PA and MA than it is here. Won't be able to check in to see what the Night Owls are doing until we are back home but I think you gals can carry on very well without me. 56221

Miss Sheri
September 20th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Well done Cyndi, I'm really proud of you and so happy for you. You learned much more than new techniques for finishing your quilts. You've learned some lessons that take some a lifetime to learn, and some folks never do learn. I'm truly happy for you.

cyndiofthevortex
September 20th, 2013, 02:42 AM
To bed, up again. To bed, up again. Tonight my heart is racing a bit so I am up again trying to calm it down.

Yes, it is a good idea to put ourselves in someone else's shoes. I used to work at Joann's years ago. There was one crabby woman who came in often and she gave us girls such a hard time. I wondered what had happened in her life to make her that way, to be mean to a bunch of middle-aged women working minimum wage cutting fabric! I wondered how miserable she must be and how miserable her family must be, if she even had any left who were willing to be around her. I started to feel some compassion for her and began to be the one to help her if she came in. She remained miserable and if she's still alive I assume she's still miserable. But I finally decided to stop letting her ruin my day and everyone else's day.

I do hope she's been able to let go of whatever happened to her and learned to be nice and enjoy life.

Mchelem
September 20th, 2013, 03:16 AM
To bed, up again. To bed, up again. Tonight my heart is racing a bit so I am up again trying to calm it down.

Yes, it is a good idea to put ourselves in someone else's shoes. I used to work at Joann's years ago. There was one crabby woman who came in often and she gave us girls such a hard time. I wondered what had happened in her life to make her that way, to be mean to a bunch of middle-aged women working minimum wage cutting fabric! I wondered how miserable she must be and how miserable her family must be, if she even had any left who were willing to be around her. I started to feel some compassion for her and began to be the one to help her if she came in. She remained miserable and if she's still alive I assume she's still miserable. But I finally decided to stop letting her ruin my day and everyone else's day.

I do hope she's been able to let go of whatever happened to her and learned to be nice and enjoy life.

There must be one of these crabby women assigned to each store, because we have one too!

bkthomas
September 20th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Cyndi, I am really glad to hear that you are making sew many new friends!....and the ones you thought were unfriendly are really friendly. When I was very young I always thought it was other people needed to make me feel welcome in a new place.
Now I realize that if I want to make friends I need to let them know I'm there - I used to be very shy, then I became a parent. That cute little baby on my hip was an open invitation for total strangers to approach me and just start talking!
Then, some of the jobs I had like waitressing and cashiering really brought me out of my shell and I really enjoyed many of the customers! Oh I know, I have a few horror stories about dealing with the public too but the good far outweighed the bad.

So anyway, sometimes being the new person in a group can be a little tough but well for example....all the new people on the forum....I used to say Welcome to as many as I could and then there were so many I couldn't keep up......so I have noticed if they are new and not afraid to say something, I become accustom to seeing them here and they don't seem "new" for very long. If they are too shy to post or too busy or whatever then well......

bkthomas
September 20th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Misa, that pic of you and the owl is too cute!!!!!

Sew Perfect
September 20th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Misa, that pic of you and the owl is too cute!!!!!

Thanks, Kathy. I thought you all might get a kick out of it. Also, Cyndi can see what kind of Night Owl nuts she's been hanging out with here.

cyndiofthevortex
September 20th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Misa, it looks like you're in a store - are you? You are crazy, girl!

All the night owl avatars are cracking me up.

If we don't watch out we're gonna make staying up and not being able to sleep cool. I always wanted to be in the popular group at school! If bags under the eyes is the price I have to pay, so be it!

Bubby
September 20th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I admire quilters who can do good looking machine binding. Evidently I'm not one of them. Mine look cobbled together. I'm willing to practice but I'm not sure if this old dog can learn this particular new trick!! I'm still trying to get up the nerve to cut the border on my newest Drez to make scallops!!

pcbatiks
September 20th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Cyndi......I want to here about these machine binding techniques! Believe it or not the best binding I've done was on my first completed quilt for Gordon. I'm not even sure what or how I did it and I've been trying to duplicate it since then. There has got to be some tricks........I just don't know what they are! So Cyndi.....it is up to you to.........I'm waiting..... :D

I do have to say that Jenny's trick on how to end the binding......so that it fits nicely.......works great! I've tried it on several small projects & the only time it didn't come out right was because I did not measure correctly.

cyndiofthevortex
September 20th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Oh, yeah! And she showed us the easiest technique ever to sew the ends of the binding together! I was amazed. It takes about 5 seconds to do and it came out perfect the very first time I tried it.

See, you take the ends, then you pinch them together where they will meet, then you bend them down so that they make what looks like a little roof or tent, then you...oh, well. Guess you have to see it to understand it. Next time she comes to town I'll call you guys!

Sew Perfect
September 20th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Misa, it looks like you're in a store - are you? You are crazy, girl!

All the night owl avatars are cracking me up.

If we don't watch out we're gonna make staying up and not being able to sleep cool. I always wanted to be in the popular group at school! If bags under the eyes is the price I have to pay, so be it!

Yes, Cyndi, I was in a store. Wouldn't I be kind of out there if I were just taking random pictures of myself? I mean...seriously...too weird to live with!

MRoy
September 20th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Yes, Cyndi, we need to try to walk a mile in their shoes before judging them. I was a public assistance caseworker for several years. Some people had an entitlement attitude, but most had something happening (or not happening) in their lives that put them in need of help. I always tried to remember that I might be on the other side of the desk asking for help some day and I treated them the way I would want to be treated.

I'm glad you put yourself out there and kept persisting. Now you've got so many new friends and experiences to look forward to!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 20th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I do have to say that Jenny's trick on how to end the binding......so that it fits nicely.......works great! I've tried it on several small projects & the only time it didn't come out right was because I did not measure correctly.

I think this is a great improvement over that *#% ruler! However, I've done it backwards twice, trying to sew it at the same direction as you do for binding. No, Jean, do it the OPPOSITE direction! Three different teachers showed me that technique in one week! Guess everyone got the memo at the same time!

HdWench
September 20th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Cyndi, I'm so proud of you taking the time to wait and make new sewing friends!! If only there were a Night-Owl group in Tucson!! hmm Maybe I should take the lead and get one going :-)

I am not a hand sewer, my husband actually sews all the buttons on the clothing I make for the Faires!!! Truly he is good at it!!! So I only know how to put on the binding using the machine. Wow maybe this can be the Show and Tell part at the Quilt Retreat!!! I didn't know of anything to "show" except my cats (uh that didn't go over well hahaha)... I LOVE doing the binding by machine and "think" I'm pretty good at it :-) Not tooting my horn it's just the only way I know how to do it! Pinch it up in a tent to measure, turn it to the 45 and sew, a quick press and TaDa binding end and beginning that looks just like all the other seams.

Would love to read more of what you learned, sounds like a wealth of information! Truly the day we stop learning maybe is the day we become "old" and one of those grumpy old men... err women

I slept last night from 11 pm to Noon!! Something I do not do often and really do enjoy my quiet night time sewing and friends in the Night-Owl group :-) Love thinking while I'm quilting or piecing something, some where across the country or world there is another quilt friend sitting at their machine working quietly on their things, now that makes me smile