PDA

View Full Version : Special request

bkthomas
September 19th, 2013, 09:17 PM
https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/2981
Not long ago I requested that the Circle Magic Template be a Daily Deal.

A short time later this was on special....not the Daily Deal but at a special price;
https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/953

So I will ask again, could you maybe make the Circle Magic Template and Book the Daily Deal? Please and Thank You

Kathy J. Thomas

PeggyM
September 19th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I second your request. I love the Cathedral Windows pattern, but I'm too skeeeered to try it at full price.

Lisapc
September 19th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Kathy: You are not going to like me for this but Al addressed your request for having the Circle Magic for a DD. He replied that it was better suited for a Daily Special. I am sure it takes a lot of planning to have the stock for these daily deals and specials so maybe it just hasn't had it's turn in rotation yet?

Mad?

bkthomas
September 19th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Kathy: You are not going to like me for this but Al addressed your request for having the Circle Magic for a DD. He replied that it was better suited for a Daily Special. I am sure it takes a lot of planning to have the stock for these daily deals and specials so maybe it just hasn't had it's turn in rotation yet?

Mad?

No, not at all.....That other template and the small rotary cutter was in the specials a few days ago.....The small rotary cutter was suggested at the same time and those 2 things were on "special" one day. So I figured they did that and that was not what I wanted...did you click on both links and read the whole post?
I noticed on the tutorial that she used a 45mm cutter so I am not too concerned with that.

Oh, and if they make it a special and not a DD....no biggie, I'll be watching and checking.

Lisapc
September 19th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I know they are different I just think that it was put on the list and it's turn hasn't come up yet to be a daily special. They probably schedule these out 2 months at a time. I would certainly want that kind of time to make sure I had the stock, etc. I just don't like it when your mad at me.

bkthomas
September 20th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Oh Dear, 3 and a half hours since the last post and no more votes?!!!
I'm not mad people, go ahead.....Vote!

Judy, USMC
September 20th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Personally, I just have a problem with the wording of the poll. Personally, even if it were the daily deal I wouldn't purchase it. But if I voted no it would appear that I don't want anyone to have the opportunity to get it.

So I can't "vote" either way. Maybe others feel the same way?

bkthomas
September 20th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Personally, I just have a problem with the wording of the poll. Personally, even if it were the daily deal I wouldn't purchase it. But if I voted no it would appear that I don't want anyone to have the opportunity to get it.

Fair enough! Thanks for your input!!

bkthomas
September 20th, 2013, 04:02 PM
:icon_bump::icon_popcorn:

HdWench
September 20th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I don't have any templates, but do like to see various things offered on the Daily Deals. I voted yes, but would probably not buy it myself. That said, I like seeing "tools" people use to quilt being thoughtfully offered! ohhhh todays DD is SO hard to pass up, but in about 2 weeks, I can shop there every day for FOUR days!!!!! :D

quiltsRfun
September 20th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I found a similar template by June Taylor. It's a smaller size but does pretty much the same thing. I'm using it to make a denim quilt using my old jeans. I found it at Hancock Fabrics with the tools for fleece. I think it was around $8. The size is 8-1/2 inches in diameter.

PeggyM
September 20th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Kathy, it's not looking good for our team. :(

bkthomas
September 20th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Kathy, it's not looking good for our team. :(

2 more days Peggy, maybe we can get a few more to take pity on us?!!!

ksap
September 20th, 2013, 10:59 PM
I didn't vote because being new to the quilting world, I don't even know what Circle Magic is. This place sure is the spot to be if you want to learn though. I actually got a notebook and sometimes take notes as I am reading everyone's post.

Thanks to all of my M* teachers! :icon_happy:

bkthomas
September 20th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Hey Karen from Kansas! Have you seen the tutorial on this? It's the ultimate Quilt-as-you-go project!!! You just sew your blocks together - sew your rows together and you are done!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gKvdrexKE4

ncgrammie
September 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM
I vote yes to support those who really want this template. I always have trouble with my circles so maybe it will help me too and I've also held off because of the price. You know, we don't have to want it to help out someone who does. Come on everyone...vote:)

Judy~Ann
September 21st, 2013, 06:42 PM
I voted "yes." I think it would be a great DD ... because it's quite expensive otherwise. I bought the Magic Circle when I first began quilting... I was so excited and didn't like it at all. I hadn't thought of it in quite a while but I might pull it out again... after reading all of your enthusiasm... and give it another try. Perhaps I was too new to have the patience and experience to use it.

Miss Sheri
September 21st, 2013, 06:44 PM
Hi Friends, I vote YES!!! (and yes, I did vote on the official pole too). Thanks for posting that link again Kathy, it had been a while since I had seen it. I think this would make an awesome summer quilt! No batting, the whole thing gets quilted and finished just in the sewing the rows together and topstitching. I'm really loving this one and I definately want to buy one too. THANKS for starting this Kathy! ~Sheri

bkthomas
September 21st, 2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks Theda! Judy, hope you discover you Love it!!!

PeggyM
September 21st, 2013, 08:24 PM
Do you think it would work with black background and batiks?

bkthomas
September 21st, 2013, 11:46 PM
Do you think it would work with black background and batiks?

Ooooh,that would frame each Batik beautifully!!!!

Jeannie acton
September 22nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
Sitting here feeling sad........with a 40$ charge for postage on even one small template I can not contemplate buying from MSQ. I wish they had a better deal for overseas customers. I enjoy the tutorials and read through many posts on the forums and I can at least day dream that MSQ will open a distribution centre or some thing similar in good old Blighty.

redcaboose1717
December 14th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Does anyone have this Circle Center Cut Ruler....This one is from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Wrights 2-Inch to 10-Inch Easy Circle Cut: Arts, Crafts & Sewing (http://www.amazon.com/Wrights-2-Inch-10-Inch-Easy-Circle/dp/B000OCQ9A4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386994111&sr=8-1&keywords=Circle+Center+Cut+Ruler)

MSQC did carry this one up to a few days ago, and now carries the Circle Center Cut Ruler from EZ Quilting. I checked the one from EZ Quilting out at Jo-Ann's and it seems flimsy.....or do they all feel that way??
As I said, the one Amazon carries was also here at MSQC just a few days ago as a matter a fact. I really want to purchase one of these and need some advice. If they all are like this, I understand.
I am also wondering if it wouldn't be smarter to just purchase the Circle Magic Template ...as it will do the same thing, cut the 9" squares.
I was also told ( on another thread about this ) that I need a 18 mm cutter / blade to use the Circle Center Cut Ruler, which ever brand I purchase.
Any advice would be appreciated ...thanks !

easyquilts
December 14th, 2013, 03:32 AM

I didn't vote for the same reason..

Fabriclovr
December 15th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I have the circle maker and it can be frustrating when sewing on the bias of the cut circle. Don't get me wrong, it is a good tool, and as someone said 'a little flimsy' but when most of the supporting material is removed to make room for the grooves, it will be a little flimsy, there is no getting around that. I am not sure what everyone is doing with the circles that they make, but I applique mine in place, which means that they need a backing and need to have the edges turned, right?

Here is what I use:

It is the Brother Circle Maker. Yes I do sew on a Brother machine, but it will also fit the Baby lock machines and it may fit others as well, but I didn't look, because, well, I use a Brother machine.

What you do is to cut 1 square of fabric and 1 square of fusible interfacing just about a 1/2 inch larger than the circle you want to make.

Using the foot, set the bar (the white portion) to the desired size (that is what the arc template if for, to determine the size you need)

Find the center and place the push pin in the 'foot'.

Lower the pressure on your presser foot, choose a straight stitch and start sewing, slowly. Smooth the fabric as you go.

When done, trim the circle with pinking shears, cut a small slit in the interfacing, turn it inside out, press on a Teflon pressing sheet and then fuse to your project. Applique as you would any other circle, but now your circle is perfect!

Now here is another method that will cost you NOTHING!

Determine the size of the circle you want to sew. Divide the number in half. Put your sewing machine needle in the center position and measure from the needle to the LEFT side if the throat plate, the number from before. Place a piece of blue painters tape in that position. Now measure again and put a dot in the exact position across from the needle.

Grab a tack and a few layers of painters tape. Push the tack from the sticky side, through all of the layers of the painters tape. Place the tape, with the tack, over the dot that you just made. Press the tape firmly to the bed of your machine. Continue as above, finding the center of the fabric, lowering the pressure on the presser foot and sewing slowly.

After a few circles are sewn, check the tape and make sure that the hole for the tack has not gotten any larger, if it has, repeat and place a new strip of tape on the machine. Remember to use several layers, one layer will tear at the first few stitches.

Hope that helps all that are having problems sewing circles!

redcaboose1717
December 16th, 2013, 01:58 AM
I too wondered when watching the tutorial on the Drunkard's Path II that Jenny used a 45 mm cutter when cutting the circles. BUT I was advised to use a 18 mm cutter for the circles ( I even emailed MSQC and asked the same question, and they agreed that an 18 mm cutter should be used.
Hope this is the tutorial you are talking about.
I looked at this cutter at Jo-Ann Fabrics, and wondered if it is going to hold up ? It seems flimsy to me....although because I am a new quilter,maybe I don't know what I am talking about ????