PDA

View Full Version : Thankful - but sober

SallyO'Sews
September 19th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Hi, Everyone,
Well, it's been quite a week, hasn't it? Today I am very thankful, but also very sober, when I think on so much that has happened in the past several days.

My DS#1 is a physicist who works as a civilian for the US Navy in a research facility in Maryland. He is a husband and father of 5 children, all under the age of 10. He was at the Navy Yard a week ago for a presentation on the very floor where the shootings happened, and found out that the shooter had also been at the facility where DS works. Here is what he posted on Tuesday:

Workplace is a bit on edge this morning. The Navy Yard shooter was a NMCI Seat Refresh technician contractor, which means he was part of a massive push over the past year to (finally) upgrade Navy work computers from Windows XP to Windows 7. He was making the rounds in our department 2-3 weeks ago and spent a day or two in my building, especially with our IT guys and several of the admin ladies. I'm 98% sure I interacted with him, though for not more than 30 seconds, enough to direct him to the appropriate machines in our office.

Word is that at least five of the murder victims were in the Office of Information, which handles IT stuff.

I am thankful today that my son is alive and well. But I grieve for the parents, spouses, and children of those who were killed on Monday in DC, and the families whose lives have been devastated by the flooding in Colorado, and the victims of the bus/train accident in Ottawa yesterday.

Life is short, dear ones. Forgive those who have wronged you. Repent if you need to. Hug your loved ones. Be thankful to God every day for the privilege of breathing His air. And as our dear Blondie reminds us, Smile!

Blessings,
~ Sally \0/

dwil23
September 19th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Amen, Sally. Life is so short and can be changed in an instant.

easyquilts
September 19th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Amen, and Amen.... What else us there go say?

I think we all feel a sense of grief over these recent horrible events.... Sally... I am so glad your son was nit harmed... You must have been terrified when you heard the news....

MayinJerset
September 19th, 2013, 12:28 PM
We all have a lot to be thankful today, never know what tomorrow brings so smile and be as happy as you can today.

pcbatiks
September 19th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Sally........so glad that your son is okay...........that must have been very sick feeling when you heard about that. Your post is a good reminder to always be thankful of family and friends.

alliek
September 19th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Sally, we need to hear what you said. Sometimes "life" gets in the way of us connecting and telling our loved ones how much they are our "heart". So heartbroken for those families of those killed. Thankful your son is OK.

ksap
September 19th, 2013, 01:01 PM
So happy that your son is ok and prayers for those who lost a family member. We live in a world that can be very harsh at times. Another reminder for us to do what we can to make the world a better place. We may not be able to make a difference on a large scale but we sure can in little ways and those little ways add up.

As Mother Teresa says "Not all of us can do great things but we can so small things with great love."

Bailey65
September 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM
My son had been to the facility in Maryland. He worked for the IT Department at the Portsmouth, NH Naval Ship Yard up until 2 yeas ago when he left. He came home the night of the shooting and was blown away by what he heard. My heart goes out to all those poor families!

auntiemern
September 19th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Sally, you do have much to be thankful for. That situation had to be so scary for you. God definitely has other plans for your son. Prayers being said for all the families of the victims.

Bubby
September 19th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Sally, I'm thankful your son is okay. I have trouble wrapping things like this around my brain...such violence and rage. My prayers go out to the victims and their families and friends. This is very sad.