PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad and The Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
September 19th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Being woken up after three hours of sleep stinks, but being woken up by a terrible nightmare is the worst! How real they can be. I am still shaking! I know it's not even midnight but when you fall asleep at 8:30 it does feel like the middle of the night!

Now, back to my "not being able to quilt" story. I had heard of machine quilting before but it was very much pooh-poohed by the quilting establishment. At quilt shows people would walk by a machine quilted quilt with their noses in the air, sniffing, "that's not hand quilted" and would not give the quilt even a cursory look. Was I now going to be producing inferior quilts? I was very sad, to say the least.

My trusty Kenmore and I (did I mention it gave me a shock every time it first started up?) set out on our new adventure together. Of course it did not drop its feed dogs and had no free motion foot anyway. I decided to jump in with both feet and proceeded to machine quilt a king-sized quilt for my very first machine-quilted quilt! And it turned out to be one of my most favorite quilts ever! I love almost everything about it, except for the sub-par machine quilting. I had a lot to learn. I really should have practiced first.

Whenever I visit it in its home in Florida I am amazed that I was able to sew such a huge quilt on such a terrible little machine. I've since gone on to nicer machines with dropping feed dogs, darning feet and walking feet, all of which make machine quilting easier. There are tons of books on how to free motion quilt and lots of classes to take at quilt shops, quilt shows and on You Tube.

Best of all, machine quilting is not only accepted now but embraced by quilters everywhere. Instead of being a second-class way to finish a quilt it has now become for some an art form in itself.

Aren't we a lucky bunch these days?

And speaking of lucky, I want to say that we are blessed in so many ways. One of the biggest ways is with each other. I love all of your Night Owl posts, yes, even the ones that happen during the day! (Not everyone can be lucky enough to be awake in the middle of the night.) I'm so thankful that we share the good, the bad and the ugly with each other. Just like there are no police here, there are no judges, either.

Lisapc
September 19th, 2013, 12:57 AM
I really love that quilt.

I was in Target recently and my GD called me so while I was in line we talked about her quilt, a minute or two later the call was over. A blind woman in front of me with a cane and an aid asked me if I quilted. "Oh yes, it has become quite the addiction, I love it." She was smiling and said do you do by hand? I said, "no, I take full advantage of my sewing machine." She said that she never quilted but knows enough that it should be done by hand to call it a real quilt. A blind woman told me this. I will never forget it. She said have a great day and left and when hubby got home I let him here all the things I wanted to say to her but didn't because she was blind and we were in public.

It bothers me that some people feel that way about machine quilting. Hand/verse machine is now a choice but when quilting first started there was no choice. They would have bought new fabrics and pre-cuts if they could have just like our fancy sewing machines. They would have used them if they could have.

Kgrammiecaz
September 19th, 2013, 01:01 AM
I love your quilt. It reminds me of my sorta,scrappy crocheted granny squares afghan. That afghan is my favorite and is on my sofa. Its about the only one I made for myself. I have made many many more but gave them all away. So I am happy to be quilting now. Hopefully I will keep a couple for myself. Even though I am still in the practice stage of quilting I am doing it on a real quilt not practice squares. So glad my granddaughter loves me lol. Your post reminded me of all the good that comes from this forum. So thank you bunches. Enjoy the night

Jean Sewing Machine
September 19th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Lisa, I have a special jelly roll puled apart for tonights night owl session! It's pretty and purple!

Lisapc
September 19th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Lisa, I have a special jelly roll puled apart for tonights night owl session! It's pretty and purple!

Can't wait to see it!

Precious1
September 19th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Lisa, her blindness would not have stopped me because her blindness is her excuse and reason to be rude and mean. How dear her to say it is not a quilt if not done by hand? My question would have been, did the top magically put itself together, or did hands put it together? Was it not hands that held it together and guided it through the machine? No one has the right, handicaps, inconveniences or ignorant to tell me, or you that it's not a quilt because its not done by hand, especially someone who has never quilted. (Rant over)
How dare her!!!
I'm fairly new to quilting. Each quilt top that I've made my heart is poured out on it. When I was making my daughter's quilt, I prayed to God that she be protected, that His angels surrounded her and that she stay on the path of the straight and narrow. I also prayed blessings, health and prosperity over her live. I prayed almost the same things for my son and granddaughter. How can she say its not a quilt because its not hand made. Maybe she's right, it's HEART MADE!!!

Ok really off my rant now, lol. You just keep on creating those beautiful quilts that you make and know that they are heart and hand made.

Sew Perfect
September 19th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Well, that is such a nice bed time story with a happy ending, Cyndi. That quilt you posted the picture of is just beautiful!

Lisa, Most rude people are quite thoughtless. They try to think of many excuses for being that way, but it doesn't fly when it comes to the matters of the heart.

Jean, I am looking forward to seeing yet another midnight quilt from you. Your last one is adorable!

Everyone, have a good night and try to sleep well.

Lisapc
September 19th, 2013, 01:38 AM
I was honestly too shocked to be offended in the moment. Hubby just let me rant away at him and told me good girl for controlling myself.

What makes me laugh is that my mother is an amazing seamstress. She can make the same wedding gown as me in half the time that it takes me to do it. I don't think I have ever seen her shake her head or have to redo something when sewing yet she is in awe over quilts. She just can't imagine the work that goes into them. I have tried to tell her that of all people she should be the quilter and she laughs and says oh no, not those little pieces. Her sewing days are done according to her.

Our hearts go into every quilt we make no matter how we make it. Heart made is exactly it Precious1.

turena65
September 19th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Cindy, that is one gorgeous quilt! I love everything about it.

I completely agree with what everyone has said thus far. I had a grandmother who made the most intricate, beautiful quilts that are still cherished by family members. We probably have 12 or 13 of them in just our family alone. Most of them were given fantastic awards, and accolades by the public and quilting organizations. They had historical value, and on and on. Most of them were HAND pieced and all of them were HAND quilted. She was 96 when she passed away about 8 years ago. I like to think that if she had the options available to her that we have today, as well as the modern conveniences such as templates and tools we enjoy, she would have certainly embraced machine quilting as much as I have. She was very much a forward thinker and loved the conveniences that were available to us. My start in quilting, taking my first pieced quilting class in January of this year, was mainly to pay homage to her and the craft she enjoyed. No one else in my family quilts or even has a desire to. One of my goals in life is to be able to make gorgeous, meaningful quilts for my family members like my Grandmother made for us. She wasn't a very affectionate person, but we knew she loved us because of the time and energy and care she took to make us beautiful quilts from her heart. And she loved doing it too. Isn't that one of the main reasons we do this and give them all away? Because we usually, not always, but usually give them to people we love and hope that they can feel our love envelope them as the warmth of the quilt envelopes them. I know my mom says that when she has my grandmother's quilt on her and my dad's bed (grandma was her mother-in-law) she feels closer to her, almost like she is there in the room with them because of that quilt. I am making a quilt for my parents right now, only the 5th quilt I have ever made and the first full-sized one, and it is my hope that they will feel that way about my quilt as well!

Well fellow night owls, I must get back to work....I won't have a day off for a few more days, then Saturday it's off to Portland for the big quilt show. I'm hoping to run into Jean who I think is still coming in to town for the occasion... :) Can't wait to meet her!

Love you all, Turena

Granny Judy
September 19th, 2013, 01:48 AM
I know My Gran would have loved all the quilts we create today.. She did hand sew every stitch of her quilts and they were beautiful,, but I never got one. Most all of her quilts were sold to pay for her final expenses.. I cried and would have paid threw the nose to have one of them. Not even a picture was taken, either...

All her secrets she took with her when she left us.. and I've been trying to reproduce those quilts I remember as being on her bed when I visited. I've finally figured the best way to make her Drunkards path. (blue and white quilt) Just haven't found time to get that one started.. my "audition" block is ready, tho. And it is quite simple when you let the machine do the work..

Yes, she would have used a machine to quilt hers if she had ever had one that worked. Or maybe NOT.. she never quilted in front of us kids since our hands were never clean enough!! LOL.

Hulamoon
September 19th, 2013, 02:58 AM
I love that quilt Cyndi! But I just love bright colors!

I'm not in the 'quilting world' except for here and my shops. I thought sewing machines were invented to make it easier for sewers. Why would a bunch of snobby quilters put that down. Does anyone really sew a whole quilt by hand, I mean the entire quilt? That would be like cooking on a campfire every night and washing dishes in the nearest river. In my case ocean. lol

bkthomas
September 19th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Cyndi, I am really enjoying this thread you do each night!
Sorry you had such a nightmare. The pictures of your king-size quilt are just wonderful!!! So you didn't miss a beat? Went right to quilting on your Kenmore? I love that bunny quilt and really admire anyone who can do that! I never have though....

Jean, I started a quilt yesterday and finished it tonight! With all the projects I counted that I need to get done, I decided I best get cracka lackin'!!! (As my DD would say) It is a red/white/blue one for my DGD born on the 4th of July. I will post a pic with the top nearly done, but I will have to post a pic of the finished product tomorrow as DD has already put it on DGD!

Sweet Dreams All!!!!

HdWench
September 19th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Top of the early morning to all! Cyndi I am so sorry you were woken up with a horrible nightmare! You are right, those are the worst kind of wake up calls. LOVE that quilt.

Agree Lisa - Heart Made and with all the love we give them away! I sounded just like your mother about 1 year ago, no way am I cutting up fabric into tiny pieces, blah blah!! Then I watched Jenny and shoved my clothing fabric to the side and jumped into the deep end - No don't save me from this beautiful ocean of quilts and friend we swim in!

LOVE all the Owl avatars - Only 2 am and have had 2 nights almost pain free so whipping out Mug rugs like popcorn whoo hooo!

Jean - I swear to you, God and every night owl to never buy Batik Jelly Rolls from Joann's again! My strips at best were 11 1/4" after starching grrr No way that pattern is going to be done with what I used *little sob* I'm sure somewhere in this trailer I've tucked away more jelly rolls that are quality, but until then those strips are going to become something else. It sure looks like a Fun pattern, and quick :-)

Ohh it's great to see what everyone's doing burning the midnight oil, err owls

Hula great comparison to cooking on a campfire and hand washing dishes, knock the clothes dirt off on the rocks too right! Loved it!

Enjoy your night activities all, catch ya in a few hours after I get a few more popcorns done.

bkthomas
September 19th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Well, I have the pics on facebook and on my computer, but I cannot find them when I try to upload them here - I even restarted my computer and still nope nada can't find! Will try again tomorrow.

Cathy F
September 19th, 2013, 04:26 AM
The last quilt show I went a good percentage of the quilts were machine quilted even the appliqued ones. Today's machines make it easier for us to get our quilts finished in a timely manner. Everyone lives much busier lives now and waiting to hand quilt everything we made we'd never get them finished. I love hand quilting and will maybe do one special small piece a year, usually a wall hanging not one that is going to be heavily used on a bed. It's now hitting the 3:30 mark going to see if I can get back to sleep, night all you owls!

Mchelem
September 19th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Those realistic nightmares are the worst! I also suffer from sleep paralysis (when you wake up before your brain and body "reconnect" and it causes you to feel like a weight is holding you down) and when I wake up suddenly from a nightmare and can't move, it's even worse.

I'm usually up late, but had a migraine which kept me up last night and slept til almost 1 : 00 today, so I'm wide awake. Not to mention my husband is snoring and it's driving me bonkers! I swear I want to put a pillow over his head sometimes !

My grandma sewed but didn't quilt. I'd like to think that she would have joined me in the quilting world if she were still alive. She taught me to sew, to craft and to cook, so I would have loved to partner with her in some quilting projects.

I downloaded the new apple ios7, so I'm off to tinker with that and try to beat my candy crush level.

Sweet dreams everyone.

MayinJerset
September 19th, 2013, 05:01 AM
No hand quilting snob here, I'm terrible at hand stitching. I start out good with even stitches but slowly the stitches get bigger and bigger. I have a sewing machine and it does the sewing for me. A quilting friend bought a big expensive sewing machine whose best features were for easier FMQ but she still hand quilts. My thought is why spend all that money on a machine that makes quilting easier if you aren't going to use it? Like another friend who has a dishwasher but still washes her dishes by hand. I would have used the dishwasher space for another cabinet.

Anyway, I'm up and hungry and there is nothing to eat. Hmmp doesn't anyone bring donuts to these meetings? Maybe we can share these.

HdWench
September 19th, 2013, 06:23 AM
oh May!!! hehehehehehe I love you! First I'm crying over Blondie's post, now I'm laughing like a fool wanting to toss a pillow over MY husband's head when he snores and now you bring on the Holes LOL!

Ok but the worst is hubby TAUGHT 2 of our cats to SNORE!! I kid you not!!!! So not only do I gotta listen to HIM rock the trailer sawing logs, I got cats in bed competing with the man ***hand me more pillows*** and I love White powder donuts, thanks May

:-Debbie lol in Minnesota right now (4:30 am) still working on Mug Rugs :icon_heh: But I brought Popcorn to watch ya'll :icon_popcorn:

HdWench
September 19th, 2013, 06:48 AM
:icon_rolleyes: hmmm Does this make me look fat??? Must be all those donuts!

Mchelem
September 19th, 2013, 07:27 AM
oh May!!! hehehehehehe I love you! First I'm crying over Blondie's post, now I'm laughing like a fool wanting to toss a pillow over MY husband's head when he snores and now you bring on the Holes LOL!

Ok but the worst is hubby TAUGHT 2 of our cats to SNORE!! I kid you not!!!! So not only do I gotta listen to HIM rock the trailer sawing logs, I got cats in bed competing with the man ***hand me more pillows*** and I love White powder donuts, thanks May

:-Debbie lol in Minnesota right now (4:30 am) still working on Mug Rugs :icon_heh: But I brought Popcorn to watch ya'll :icon_popcorn:

I'd definitely need more pillows if he taught the dogs to snore. They're a whopping 3 pounds each, but if they snore anything like they fart, we'd all hear them!!!

I would love a donut, but has anyone ever tasted a gluten free donut??? I'd rather listen to the husband and the dogs snore.

Lisapc
September 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Jean: Do you have something to show us or did you actually sleep last night?

Jean Sewing Machine
September 19th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Jean: Do you have something to show us or did you actually sleep last night?
Please don't drum me out of the night owl corps. I must admit I slept in on the branch last night! I did construct a poet shirt for a friend who is costuming Les Mis last evening, so I needed my sleep after that! But I was up and attem this morning, working on a secret project! No peeking!

cyndiofthevortex
September 19th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Jean, no one would ever throw a rock at you and knock you off your branch. That cute owl surrounded by flowers is much too sweet!

SallyO'Sews
September 19th, 2013, 11:51 AM
One way I've learned to deal with DH's snoring: I slide my hand under his pillow and gently push upwards. It's enough to move his head (frequently he rolls over) but not enough to wake him.

SHHH!!! Don't tell him! :icon_heh:

pcbatiks
September 19th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Luckily I was sleeping last night.........but this morning I was looking up so older music on Itunes. I always liked Little River Band & wanted to see what itunes had of theirs. Well, guess what.........I forgot about this song......Night Owls!! Didn't know how to do link to itunes so I found it on Amazon. Thought the Night Owls would like a reminder of this song from way back.........

Amazon.com: Definitive Collection: Music (http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Collection-Little-River-Band/dp/B00007B4E3/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379605325&sr=8-2&keywords=little+river+band)

cyndiofthevortex
September 19th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Pam, thanks for finding a theme song for us!

bakermom
September 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Totally understand that attitude. I grew up in a rural area where hand quilting was the norm. you were judged by your ability to make tiny, even stitches. Now when i made my first quilt 45+ years ago, i did cut the fabric with a cardboard template and hand quilted that first little quilt. i truly respect those that can do it and do it well. And in my mind, a well done hand quilted quilt is the "cream of the crop". However times change. we have tools and machines available to us that our grandmothers could not imagine. Why not take advantage of those new tools. It still takes time and talent to produce a quilt.
Several years ago I was fabric shopping and ran into a woman i knew. she asked me what I was making and i told her a quilt. Mentioned i wanted to make a quilt for each of my kids, and i only had two more to go. We continued to talk about quilts and i said i would be machine quilting this quilt. "Oh, no! you need to learn to hand quilt. It's the only way" I told her I KNEW how to hand quilt, it's how i learned. However, I would rather machine quilt and have each kid get one than try to hand quilt 5 of them and maybe only give one.
Right now, i am hand quilting a DWR for my DH(almost done). It's taking me longer than it should due to hand/arm issues BUT i feel the work involved in piecing this quilt deserves my time to hand quilt. Because i machine quilt the others I make I have been able to make quilts for all my kids and their spouses, my GKs and still make some as gifts or charity donations. If I only hand quilted that would never happen, esp. since i still work full time and have other obligations in my life.
Off my soapbox now

Lindagie
September 19th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I never knew anyone who was so picky about their hand quilting stitches, but I learned that first. I agree with Bakermom about how long it takes to handquilt things. I am slow, so only do the grandkids first baby quilt by hand. I am trying to learn the machine quilting thing now; goes so much quicker (if I master something besides straightline quilting; or should say WHEN i master it) I will still take the queen/king size to the quilter for now, esp. if they are gifts.
Had a note started last night, but we had to make a trip to the ER about 2 a.m. Didn't get home until almost 5, so never finished it, of course. We will see how it goes tonight. Hope you all have a great day!

K. McEuen
September 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Totally understand that attitude. I grew up in a rural area where hand quilting was the norm. you were judged by your ability to make tiny, even stitches. Now when i made my first quilt 45+ years ago, i did cut the fabric with a cardboard template and hand quilted that first little quilt. i truly respect those that can do it and do it well. And in my mind, a well done hand quilted quilt is the "cream of the crop". However times change. we have tools and machines available to us that our grandmothers could not imagine. Why not take advantage of those new tools. It still takes time and talent to produce a quilt.
Several years ago I was fabric shopping and ran into a woman i knew. she asked me what I was making and i told her a quilt. Mentioned i wanted to make a quilt for each of my kids, and i only had two more to go. We continued to talk about quilts and i said i would be machine quilting this quilt. "Oh, no! you need to learn to hand quilt. It's the only way" I told her I KNEW how to hand quilt, it's how i learned. However, I would rather machine quilt and have each kid get one than try to hand quilt 5 of them and maybe only give one.
Right now, i am hand quilting a DWR for my DH(almost done). It's taking me longer than it should due to hand/arm issues BUT i feel the work involved in piecing this quilt deserves my time to hand quilt. Because i machine quilt the others I make I have been able to make quilts for all my kids and their spouses, my GKs and still make some as gifts or charity donations. If I only hand quilted that would never happen, esp. since i still work full time and have other obligations in my life.
Off my soapbox now

Yeah, what she said!

I used to hand quilt everything. It's nice being able to finish quilts faster on the machine.

Hulamoon
September 19th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I was thinking back to when my grandmother taught me to sew. She taught me how to sew a button hole and zipper by hand. I totally love I know that, but would I do that now, only to teach someone else. I taught my two girls to sew but they would not want to put a zipper in by hand. The attention span and patience isn't there. lol They both have sewing machines now. It's a new generation.

Sew Perfect
September 19th, 2013, 04:34 PM
You know? This thread has reminded me of a woman who told me that I "am not a true quilter/quilt maker" because I don't piece my quilts by hand. I was new to this world, so I thought she was right. But this is my third year sewing and I believe I am a true quilter/quilt maker because I make my quilts and even quilt some of them on my sewing machine. I respect that the woman is pretty old school and traditional, but bakermom is right. Why not take advantage of the machines created for us to use? It's not that I don't want to learn to piece or quilt by hand, because I think it would be good to know, but by golly...I'm going to use my machine.

K. McEuen
September 19th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I have to add to this ... my grandmother started out piecing by hand and always quilted everything by hand. She got a treadle Singer and then pieced by machine. The one thing about her hand quilting - she almost never did an entire quilt by herself. They would do the quilting by hand at the church, a whole bunch of ladies around one quilt got it done pretty fast, then they would move on to someone else's. If she quilted at home my grandpa helped. My mom said he had better quilting stitches than my grandma did.

I've hand-quilted king and queen sized quilts, plenty of them, all alone. If you do any kind of detailed quilting it takes too darn long with everything else we have to do in our lives now.

It's hard for some people to change with the times and many of the "old school" quilters fall into that mind set. Me, I'd rather be able to get it finished faster and move on to the next thing.

Sew Perfect
September 19th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Luckily I was sleeping last night.........but this morning I was looking up so older music on Itunes. I always liked Little River Band & wanted to see what itunes had of theirs. Well, guess what.........I forgot about this song......Night Owls!! Didn't know how to do link to itunes so I found it on Amazon. Thought the Night Owls would like a reminder of this song from way back.........

Amazon.com: Definitive Collection: Music (http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Collection-Little-River-Band/dp/B00007B4E3/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379605325&sr=8-2&keywords=little+river+band)

Here you do, Pam! Little River Band - The night owls 1981 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbXqgtcrbyY)

pcbatiks
September 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Here you do, Pam! Little River Band - The night owls 1981 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbXqgtcrbyY)

Thanks Misa...............I didn't think to check youtube. Now all the night owls will have that song stuck in their heads! :D

bakermom
September 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I have to add to this ... my grandmother started out piecing by hand and always quilted everything by hand. She got a treadle Singer and then pieced by machine. The one thing about her hand quilting - she almost never did an entire quilt by herself. They would do the quilting by hand at the church, a whole bunch of ladies around one quilt got it done pretty fast, then they would move on to someone else's. If she quilted at home my grandpa helped. My mom said he had better quilting stitches than my grandma did.

I've hand-quilted king and queen sized quilts, plenty of them, all alone. If you do any kind of detailed quilting it takes too darn long with everything else we have to do in our lives now.

It's hard for some people to change with the times and many of the "old school" quilters fall into that mind set. Me, I'd rather be able to get it finished faster and move on to the next thing.

One of my earliest memories is going with my grandma to her ladies' aid meetings at her church where they would all sit around a quilt frame quilting and talking.

lilmouse
September 20th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I do some primitive hand quilting and love it....but it is for quilts for here and my COC quilts which have both hand and machine quilting on them...it all comes from the heart and that is ALL that matters!

HdWench
September 20th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I never knew anyone who was so picky about their hand quilting stitches, but I learned that first. I agree with Bakermom about how long it takes to handquilt things. I am slow, so only do the grandkids first baby quilt by hand. I am trying to learn the machine quilting thing now; goes so much quicker (if I master something besides straightline quilting; or should say WHEN i master it) I will still take the queen/king size to the quilter for now, esp. if they are gifts.
Had a note started last night, but we had to make a trip to the ER about 2 a.m. Didn't get home until almost 5, so never finished it, of course. We will see how it goes tonight. Hope you all have a great day!

Really hope everything is ok now? Hate those ER trips at 2 am but at least they aren't usually busy that time! Thinking of you

easyquilts
September 20th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I am finishing up a quilt/blanket for my grandson Michael, who is going through a very bad time right now. Every stitch is a prayer for his well being and safety. Every stitch has my heart in it.

lilmouse
September 20th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I do some primitive hand quilting and love it....but it is for quilts for here and my COC quilts which have both hand and machine quilting on them...it all comes from the heart and that is ALL that matters!

Lindagie
September 21st, 2013, 03:12 AM
Thanks for asking Debbie. Everything turned out alright, for the most part. Its been a hectic week without much sleep due to Dh's health issues, but I'll catch up one of these days.