PDA

View Full Version : My DH is so awesome, I just have to give him a shout-out.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
September 18th, 2013, 07:36 PM
My hubby is a stay-at-home dad. He takes care of all our family and household matters, including cooking dinner. It's cool and rainy in our world, so he asked me this morning if I thought chili would be good for supper tonight. I've been trying so hard to eat healthy and chili just doesn't fit that bill. So I suggested lentil soup. (I'm so fortunate he welcomes suggestions.)

Well -- he nailed it! It has lentils, onion, mushrooms, celery, carrots, barley, beef broth and a bit of reduced fat Polish sausage for flavor. It's so yummy -- and healthy!

I try very hard never to take him for granted. A stay-at-home spouse is a true blessing to any working parent and I wanted to give him a shout-out, even if he'll never know.

In case you are interested in reading more about our arrangement and how we made the transition to working mom and caretaker dad, here is a blog post I wrote about our story.

How Mr. Mom got his gig ? Debt of Gratitude (http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/how-mr-mom-came-to-be/)

asta
September 18th, 2013, 07:41 PM
What a wonderful man, I too am lucky to be married to a super guy, if only all marriages could be like this.

Lisapc
September 18th, 2013, 08:07 PM
My hubby is amazing but I am the one that gave up the big job, National Director of Medicare Licensure to stay home and care for our family and home. Funny thing for me is that I am still amazed that because I am at home that people that didn't know me before I stopped working think I am some spoiled wife with no ambition for a "real career". Some of the people that did know me think I just got lazy and spoiled. Apparently I am spoiled with caring for my home and family in a way that makes us all happy and me always tired.

I love when hubby suggest meals for dinner. I get tired of cooking all the time and when he has an idea it takes the pressure off of me wondering if he will be in the mood for it or not.

Precious1
September 18th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Lisa, I know what you mean. I owned my own business and I was a licensed insurance adjuster prior to moving here to Canada. When we moved here, hubby and I made the decision for me not to work. I personally think it is harder work keeping the house a home than a secular job.
Joan, I remember when my hubby would tell me, good, keep on learning so I can quit and stay home to take care of kids. Of course, life happens, economy causes changes and now I'm the one at home, but I sometimes wish I was the one working. Congratulations on a marriage that works for you. Make sure you give your hubby an extra hug and kiss.

BellasQuilts
September 18th, 2013, 08:53 PM
What an awesome story. How blessed you are to have each other!

Ginny B
September 18th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I've got one of those amazing hubbies too. In fact, he cooked just tonight. We have a great arrangement as far as cooking/ shopping goes. I don't like to grocery shop (too many years of doing it I guess) and he doesn't mind at all. So, every 2 weeks we sit down and make out our menu (always subject to change of course if circumstances warrant). Then from that menu, we figure out what we need and put that on the shopping list. Then he does the shopping. He cooks 1 or 2 times a week too so I love that. And I definitely like having him help decide what to eat -- I don't like always having to come up with the ideas. I think he sometimes sparks my culinary creativity too.

And on top of all that, he encourages me in my obsession/passion and even helps cut things that he feels safe with. So, I truly have been blessed with a wonderful man as it seems quite a few of us are here too.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
September 18th, 2013, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=Lisapc;384065]My hubby is amazing but I am the one that gave up the big job, National Director of Medicare Licensure to stay home and care for our family and home. Funny thing for me is that I am still amazed that because I am at home that people that didn't know me before I stopped working think I am some spoiled wife with no ambition for a "real career". Some of the people that did know me think I just got lazy and spoiled. Apparently I am spoiled with caring for my home and family in a way that makes us all happy and me always tired.

Lisa -- my job puts me in contact with high-wealth individuals. Most are polite, but many times I can see their skepticism if it comes up that my husband stays home. I don't even bother mentioning anymore than he sold a profitable business he built from the ground up (and worked 70 hours a week for 20 years to get there). Now I just say "Yeah, he's got a great gig!" and let them live with their misperceptions. Fortunately, he's a confident enough person to deal with it.

Lisapc
September 19th, 2013, 12:50 AM
[QUOTE=Lisapc;384065]My hubby is amazing but I am the one that gave up the big job, National Director of Medicare Licensure to stay home and care for our family and home. Funny thing for me is that I am still amazed that because I am at home that people that didn't know me before I stopped working think I am some spoiled wife with no ambition for a "real career". Some of the people that did know me think I just got lazy and spoiled. Apparently I am spoiled with caring for my home and family in a way that makes us all happy and me always tired.

Lisa -- my job puts me in contact with high-wealth individuals. Most are polite, but many times I can see their skepticism if it comes up that my husband stays home. I don't even bother mentioning anymore than he sold a profitable business he built from the ground up (and worked 70 hours a week for 20 years to get there). Now I just say "Yeah, he's got a great gig!" and let them live with their misperceptions. Fortunately, he's a confident enough person to deal with it.

I try to carry 1 or 2 clients on my own just to keep my brain in it should I ever be forced to go back to work and those clients just assume that I am running this huge consulting business and I laugh because when I am on the phone with them I am often sitting at my sewing machine or on the floor playing with fabric and have my tablet right there taking notes of the call. Big money has it's own intelligence doesn't it?

It amazes me that in this day and age the misconceptions people have. I have 6 brothers and one of them was a stay at home Dad. It worked for them. It wouldn't work in my marriage because I love being a Mom and wife, the domestic part of it and that is a part of myself I want to hang onto as long as I can. My hubby likes that part of us as well. I like to cook and clean just not all the time.

To each his own I believe.

Bethy
September 19th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I also had a stay at home husband. He was a fabulous cook and took great care of the kids. House work, not so much! He started his full time at home parenting back in early 1988. People were not used to it then. Many skeptics but he took it mostly in stride. Later, health and emotional problems lead him down a dark road of absolutely no self esteem/self worth. Sadly he died 2 years ago at 58. Life is certainly different today. I retired from OR nursing and now I do the cooking. I feel so sorry for everyone here because I sure can't cook like he did.
Beth

Joan@DebtofGratitude
September 19th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Bethy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your husband was definitely a trailblazer. I try to keep in mind that my hubby needs more in life than running our house and family. I think it's easy to lose track as a working spouse that the stay-at-home spouse needs diversions and opportunities for fulfillment. Thank you for the important reminder.

auntiemern
September 19th, 2013, 03:12 PM
It sounds like you have the right perspective. As women, it is a natural desire to be the one that takes care of the children, and the home. However in today's world it isn't necessarily the norm. It makes perfect sense to me that the parent that makes the most $, should be the one to work, and the other to stay home and do all of the 'mom' stuff, if it is financially feasible. The world is a scary place, and I have never wanted my GK's in any kind of day care setting, so I decided when DD was expecting her first child, I would be the care giver. As I have gotten older, and have numerous health issues, it has gotten harder. I thank God daily, that I have a wonderful DH that not only 'takes' care of me, but is hands on with the grands. He does the laundry, and most of the cooking, because there are times I just can't. Ya just gotta love em, for all they do for us.

aliaslaceygreen
September 23rd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joan... I am wandering thru threads and came across this post.... I LOVE your blog!!!

My hubby is a stay-at-home dad. He takes care of all our family and household matters, including cooking dinner. It's cool and rainy in our world, so he asked me this morning if I thought chili would be good for supper tonight. I've been trying so hard to eat healthy and chili just doesn't fit that bill. So I suggested lentil soup. (I'm so fortunate he welcomes suggestions.)

Well -- he nailed it! It has lentils, onion, mushrooms, celery, carrots, barley, beef broth and a bit of reduced fat Polish sausage for flavor. It's so yummy -- and healthy!

I try very hard never to take him for granted. A stay-at-home spouse is a true blessing to any working parent and I wanted to give him a shout-out, even if he'll never know.

In case you are interested in reading more about our arrangement and how we made the transition to working mom and caretaker dad, here is a blog post I wrote about our story.

How Mr. Mom got his gig ? Debt of Gratitude (http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/how-mr-mom-came-to-be/)

Joan@DebtofGratitude
September 24th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks so much for your kind words. Writing used to be my primary creative outlet. Now I'm a quilter, too!