PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls of the Opera

cyndiofthevortex
September 18th, 2013, 12:51 AM
If you don't like hearing how much better it was in the good ol' days, then this post is for you. I began quilting when you could hardly find a piece of fabric that was 100% cotton, and when you did it was in a bright, hideous primary color or a charming gingham print. I had to cut templates out of Cheerios cardboard, then trace them onto the back of the fabric to cut the pieces out, one by one. Yes, I know you've heard this legend, but it's true. I must have really been addicted to quilting to do all of this.

After sewing my pieces together on my clunky Kenmore, I then had to hand baste it, usually with a few friends since it was backbreaking work, on your hands and knees, often sewing it to the carpet it was placed on.

Then I got out my trusty 14" hoop and began to hand quilt it. Now, people may tell you that hand quilting is soothing and relaxing, but for me this was not true. I like results and the quicker the better. It took forever to hand quilt something and I'm amazed that all of my quilts from back then aren't UFOs. Lots of them are. Many of the quilts are small because of that darn hand quilting.

Something happened then that really changed my quilting life. I got bursitis in my right shoulder. I needed physical therapy and cortisone shots, the works. My doc said it was from hand quilting, the motion of pulling that thick thread through the fabric over and over again daily for years had caught up with me. He said I could never quilt again. I remember the shock I felt when he said that. Never quilt again? It was like the bottom had dropped out of my world.

Last night we talked about what we would do if we didn't quilt. How would you feel if you were told you could no longer quilt?

This is getting long, so I'll finish my thoughts tomorrow night. I'll leave you with pictures of one of my very first quilts, made for 1 year old Bethany. The cross-hatching is quilted behind the bunny every 1/2". It is 30 years old and has not seen the light of day in decades. I feel great fondness towards it now and will definitely put it up come Easter.

Lisapc
September 18th, 2013, 12:56 AM
That is absolutely adorable! Now I am assuming you don't hand quilt anymore right? That Dr's advice was from a long time ago?

I would be devastated at first and then I would honestly not listen. Unless the doctor telling you this sews himself he has no idea the modifications that can be made to make it easier on your body. A physical and occupational therapist would be sent to my home to see me cut, press, piece, quilt, trim and bind and then tell me how to change what I do to make it better on my body. I would never give up until they figured out something!!!!!!!!

pcbatiks
September 18th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Okay Cyndi.........you do know that 11:51 your time is too early for the night owls.........right!? I hope you get some sleep tonight.

My very first quilt........way back when I was still in high school was made from yucky double knit. I think I made my cardboard template from the back of a notebook.

If I were told I couldn't quilt............I would be very discouraged and sad but I would probably try to do it anyway.

Cute bunny quilt!

cyndiofthevortex
September 18th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Yes, I almost made a disclaimer about posting so early but I didn't think anyone would bug me about it. I forgot that you might, Pam.

I have a thing tomorrow and I have got to sleep tonight, so even if I wake up I am NOT getting out of bed. So it was either an early post or none at all. And of course I have things to say so it ended up an early post!

I am hoping someone will also post an early quilt or two. I love to see them!

Lisapc
September 18th, 2013, 01:24 AM
I am glad you posted early because I am going to bed myself. I wish you a great nights sleep Cyndi!

toggpine
September 18th, 2013, 02:16 AM
I'm checking in on the old computer, and boy, I love this keyboard so much more than the laptop!

I go for stretches without quilting, not that I like it, but other things take priority around here sometimes. I guess if I could figure out where the staff went I could pawn some of these chores off on them. So I guess I would adjust if I was told I couldn't quilt.

I'll probably be out for the next few days. My long stretch at the fair is coming up. Tomorrow is "pack the vehicles" day. I am staging everything for my absence for 48 hours and my poor hubby having to load and haul in the couple of goats by himself. Don't feel too sorry for him. It's only two small ones. It's not like he's hauling in all 20! We are giving this a test run to see if our daughter is really ready to start showing like the big kids.

You all have a good evening and I'll see you in the morning!
Hugs, Cathy

bkthomas
September 18th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I'm checking in on the old computer, and boy, I love this keyboard so much more than the laptop!

I go for stretches without quilting, not that I like it, but other things take priority around here sometimes. I guess if I could figure out where the staff went I could pawn some of these chores off on them. So I guess I would adjust if I was told I couldn't quilt.

I'll probably be out for the next few days. My long stretch at the fair is coming up. Tomorrow is "pack the vehicles" day. I am staging everything for my absence for 48 hours and my poor hubby having to load and haul in the couple of goats by himself. Don't feel too sorry for him. It's only two small ones. It's not like he's hauling in all 20! We are giving this a test run to see if our daughter is really ready to start showing like the big kids.

You all have a good evening and I'll see you in the morning!
Hugs, Cathy

Good Luck at the fair Cathy!

bkthomas
September 18th, 2013, 03:03 AM
NOT QUILT!!! I just don't want to think about it!!!!

Cyndi, that bunny is just precious! Did you have to stop for a while and if so, how long? Sorry to hear this!
When I first started quilting, it was just baby size and they were tied. I have one still from back then (the 70's) or should I say DD has it. Anyway, I had this blue rose fabric and a solid royal blue for the back. I wanted to try one where there was no sewing at all, so I tied it and folded the back around to the front for the binding/border and tied it fairly close all the way around. Some of you may remember it....I have posted it before.

Cathy F
September 18th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Love the bunny! I certainly remember those good ole days and tracing patterns onto the fabric. I also started with cardboard templates then switched over to plastic ones cut from the tops of containers.
I love to hand quilt but it's usually on small wall hangings. Too late for me to take pictures of some of my old quilts but will try tomorrow.
Going to see if I can get some sleep tonight been suffering a bout of diviticulitis since Friday night and it's been painful so sleep has been in bits and pieces. Night all!

dwil23
September 18th, 2013, 03:46 AM
I didn't get interested in quilting until much later - the 90's and the rotary cutters were already invented. There wasn't near as mcuh fabric as thee is now, but there was still a lot compared to the 70's. I don't know what I would do if I could no longer quilt.

Hulamoon
September 18th, 2013, 03:53 AM
The bunny is so cute!

I have been turning the tv off and it's helping big time. It's only just 9 here so just watching a bit of Tv. I managed to make a pattern I like for the troops Christmas stockings and a stencil for the mug rug swap. I can start on those in the morning,

I think I need to make some cat quilts because one of mine just took over the cereal box I cut up for the stencil. Maybe it would be cheaper to put a newspaper down. Gosh they are funny.

HdWench
September 18th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Oh Cyndi, that is an work of art with all the issues you had to improvise to create that adorable bunny Thank you for sharing your story and your quilt. It shows your pure determination and sharp mind on how to make the most Lovely things
I didn't quilt but sewed back thens, no older loved quilts to post. I know Cyndi this rocked your world being told that.

This summer is my last, but hopefully not my final adventures in quilting. There are endless things I've not shared with anyone but my immediate family
When we get home after the MSQS Fun group meeting, I have a dreaded meeting with a surgeon. I make very light mention pf neck issues, but it's past that, affecting my arms, hands and even my legs at times. I am giving serious thoughts to your question knowing I may not be able to quilt or walk again. It's bringing tears to my eyes to read how deeply your news affected you too.

This is a very passionate art, which we wrap our souls, mind and hearts into making our quilts. To be told you'll never do it again? It will devistate me for a long time. I'm trying to make the most of what I can do, with the few months notice.

Like Lisa I pray they can help figure out was to keep our hands working and will exhaust all possibilites to find a way to continue!!
This is my passion so I will fight to keep going on. I know will smack me like a ton of bricks.

My mother always called me her 110% girl, no job, no business I run get's only 100% of me, I'm all in and quilting is no exception.

Ok other night owls, I had an amazing pain free night last night and accomplished more than I dream of, so tonight it's early bedtime (by 2 or 3 am), early for me

I hope to wake up to see some of everyone's very loved "young" quilts unearthed to see the Shiney Light in the forum, that would give me great pleasure to see.

:icon_wave: Good night Night Owls of the Opera I sincerely hope more of the night owls are going off to a lovely sleep tonight.

Sew Perfect
September 18th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Cyndi, that is one cute bunny! I stayed up all night last night sewing a Christmas quilt using the 12 Days of Christmas layer care I bought from the dd. I've finished the whole thing minus the last two borders, which is fabric I am waiting for. I've saved some of the blocks I made back, so I can either make a table topper or some pillows. Today, I took a little nap and now I'm off to bed at 2:30 a.m.

Sleep well, Night Owls!

Hulamoon
September 18th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Debbie I have tears in my eye's and can hardly write after reading your post. You were one of my first friends here and I just don't know what to say after hearing this. I had to have hand surgery and might have to on the other hand but I keep avoiding it.

My legs hurt too but I started walking and it helped build up my muscles. They don't hurt as much.

(((hugs)))

Sew Perfect
September 18th, 2013, 04:59 AM
I just read Debbie's post. I am sad for what you're going through. What causes us to go through such things? Your situation reminds me of Job. Quilting comes from deep within us; you are brave and good. Love and strength to you, Debbie.

Quilted Fantasies
September 18th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Debbie, I am so so sorry. Next time I get frustrated and have to grab the seam ripper I need to pause and count my blessings.

About five years ago I gave my sister the first quilt I made in 1975. It was a twin size and a friend's grandmother taught me to quilt it after I had the top pieced. You could tell which stitches were hers and which were mine, for sure! I'm sure the fabrics included scraps from clothing I had made; I started sewing some of my own clothing about 1970. It was intended for my best friend as she was about to go away to college; sadly she was killed in a car accident before it was finished. If my sister can find it I'll ask her to take a picture for me so I can post it here.

MayinJerset
September 18th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Debbie, Pray that the right surgery will keep you quilting. Difficult to even think about what I would do in your situation. I'm thankful that my arthritis hasn't affected my hands.

It is almost 6am so I wasn't an Opera Night Owl last night so I missed the Opera, was it Carmen? That would have kept me for sure.

PeggyM
September 18th, 2013, 07:08 AM
What a cute bunny. You have some massive patience.

MayinJerset
September 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I'm back, had a lie down under some small quilts, made coffee and toast and now am human. Cyndi, Great first quilt, that bunny is so cute.

Made my first "quilt" back in the 70's when I sewed big calico squares together, old blanket for inside and a brown and black sheet for the back. No quilting done on it, think I just sewed around the edges to keep the blanket in place. It was on our bed for several years along with a matching calico dust ruffle. Early 80's made a quilt for first granddaughter from a nursery print panel, used seersucker for the backing and hand quilted it using a frame. Next granddaughter's quilt was from a Simplicity pattern and it featured a Teddy in the center.

First real quilt was made Spring 1999 during the week long quilting course I took through Elderhostel. Instructor was very good as she really stressed the basics for me, all the other gals taking the course were already quilters. Got a bit cold here the past few days and I've been using that quilt to snuggle under while watching TV.

Bailey65
September 18th, 2013, 08:50 AM
NOT Quilt! I cannot imagine my life without it, EVER!!!!!

Granny Judy
September 18th, 2013, 09:07 AM
I am so sad to hear of the pending possibilities of having to give up your passion.. And I thank the Good Lord daily that I can still see well enough to sew and enjoy my life. It brings tears to my eyes to hear of others challenges.

I come from a long line of quilters.. but never got any photos of their treasures. My Mother passed along all her templates to my oldest DD and they bonded over a few small quilts. As a single mom, I worked and provided, and didn't have time to play. I finally got back into sewing these last 3 years.. and my first quilt was called - pancake quilt. Theme: Pooh since DD#2 has always loved HIM.

56109 561105611156112

It is queen size and very heavy, but I learned so much doing it..and was hooked to do more and better.

HdWench
September 18th, 2013, 03:07 PM
May I hope you are staying warm today and didn't get a chill! I worry about you.

Thank you ((((((Hulamoon)))) and I hate hearing about your hand surgeries - this craft means so much to us all I am really praying they can help fix your hands, not take them away from your beautiful work!!! No no we all must be given this wonderful gift from God, I feel like I am meant to do this. There is nothing else (well my cats), but nothing I've been this passionate about in such a long time! Had to laugh at your cats sneaking your templates away, naughty babies!!!

I can't leave my pin container open or one of my girls gets in there and picks them out with her mouth :( Naughty girl!!

Love seeing the work in here - Thank you Cyndi for starting this

SallyO'Sews
September 19th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I'm a night-owl by nature, but have a day job and can't stay up late. Love reading the threads, however!

I never would have started quilting a couple of years ago if it weren't for Jenny's tutorials! In the 70's I took up sewing and loved it - have ever since, but never wanted to get involved with quilting. All those little tiny pieces to cut and sew back together... and then to have to hand-quilt! Definitely not for me.

Now, of course, I'm pretty well addicted; finishing one up this evening for a shower tomorrow, then start on one for my new DGS due in a few weeks. Then I'll try to decide which of the pending projects to tackle! I LOVE THIS HOBBY!!

Debbie, I am praying for you! May the Lord touch your body with perfect healing; and may the surgeon's hands be guided by those of the Great Physician. May you be comforted and calmed by the presence of the Holy Spirit, and may angels attend you as you prepare, undergo, and recuperate from the surgery. Blessings, my quilty friend. ~ Sally \0/

cyndiofthevortex
September 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Debbie, I am praying for you! May the Lord touch your body with perfect healing; and may the surgeon's hands be guided by those of the Great Physician. May you be comforted and calmed by the presence of the Holy Spirit, and may angels attend you as you prepare, undergo, and recuperate from the surgery. Blessings, my quilty friend. ~ Sally \0/
And the people all said, "Amen!"