PDA

View Full Version : A New Day....Making a change

bdmsmith
September 17th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Hello everyone! I have noticed, and I've seen others comment on it as well.....that time seems to get away from us. I get frustrated when the day is over and I haven't completed much. As I've mentioned before I haven't been working since Jan and have been trying to enjoy my time off & getting stuff done that I didnt get to do when I was working because my jobs tend to be 50-60 hrs/week++. However, even though I've done a lot it still feels like I could be doing so much more, and this is hitting me even harder as I realize that I'm sure I'll be going back to work soon.

My routine since I've been off includes going back to bed after everyone leaves and I end up getting back up at 9-10am, of course when I do I am furious at myself for doing that. My husband doesnt help because he always tucks me back in when he leaves at 7:30am and tells me to lay back down and enjoy it and that I deserve it. I am NOT a morning person so without the priority of having to get up and go to work, I tend to slack off.

The next issues is this darn computer. For awhile I was stuck on FB games & spent too much time on that. Plus surfing the net and then this forum. Before I know it each day it's noon or 1 before I even get started on sewing. I started making a calendar of what I needed to do each day and that helped at first for a couple days. When I sign on I check my emails, FB, craigslist & of course the DD and this forum. Then, I tend to get stuck in a cycle going back and forth between all the sites. I've noticed that my shopping day (usually Mon or Tues) I tend to get more done because I get up, and am generally in town by 10 in order to get groceries, come home, put them away, check computer then get right to sewing.

Lastly, the one thing that I have wanted to do is quit drinking so much pop. I can't quit cold turkey or I end up with headaches. I know it's not good & eliminating this would help with weight issues & also my overall good feeling.

Soooooo....today is a new day and I'm going to work on all the above things. Today I had to get up early & take my son to town in order to get his phone fixed. I have a couple things to get in town & then am coming home to do some house cleaning and then sewing. I will be limiting the soda intake starting today & I will allow myself 2 cans of soda & the rest will need to be tea, water, juice or milk.

Items for me to complete are: my husband's quilt needs border FMQ, label added & binding added. Then, I want to make the following: apron, totes, hot pads, placemats, mug rug, halloween wall hanging, fall wall hanging, preemie squid, interactive quilt for dementia patients---some of these for me and some for Christmas gifts. I have 8-10 quilts I want to make for Christmas gifts of varying sizes as well that need started. Instead of just focusing on 1 item at a time I want to get a couple different things started for variety & so that I have some small things getting completed as I also work on larger projects.

Going forward I am going to limit my computer time to no later than 9am, so the earlier I get up the more computer time I get. In order to not get too frustrated & end up giving in I am going to allow myself the following exceptions: if I complete a project then I can log on for 10 minutes to post pics & read the forum (my treat for completing something), also I will allow myself 10 minutes during lunch while I eat in order to log onto the internet. Plus, I can get on if I must look at a tutorial in order to start a project. No FB, craigslist, pinterest or other sites at all other than in the morning. Then, in the evening I will give 30 minutes to log on as 'down time' before going to bed.

So, the above is my challenge to myself in order to get myself back on track & try to feel more satisfied with my day and myself. Hopefully this will allow me to get a lot more completed & be more accountable for the day. I wanted to put it in writing to hold myself more accountable.
***I noticed others had some similar issues with accomplishing what they want-----so if any of you want to join in and post what has been delaying you, what your distractions are and what plan you want to take in order to change it then feel free to post as well. I know all of our schedules are different & all of our distractions are different as well.

Good luck to everyone and have a great day!! :icon_bigsmile:

GrammaBabs
September 17th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Oh do I hear ya!!!!!! I'm plugging along with ya, and i'm, retired,, as wonderful as this place is... the "puter" is deadly to our hobby!!! I have an "addictive" personality, so nuff said... when I didn't get on Sunday.. I made 8 bingo bags, and 6 zipper cases... get it!! Now go on and have a great day.. i'm off to sew with my quilting buddies!!! Huge, Hugs, B

LynneLeavell
September 17th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I understand the delima as well. My distractions at this time are not the computer (being as mine is at the doctor getting a check up.) Mine is having to take my grandchildren to football practice for two hours a night, my oldest grandson practices three nights a week and my middle grandson practices two nights. My daughter takes them on Tuesday nights only because the 2nd and 4th Tuesday I have other obligations. Then there is my husband. With him being home at night I have to tend to him on the nights that I am not at football practice. Oh yea and to mention that the ball park where we go for practice is 45 minutes from my house.

But that's ok. I'm at least getting the Christmas stocking for my Great Nephew done. I work on it at football. But I do miss my sewing machine.

Guess I had better get to work being as today is payroll day and that takes up a good bit of my day since I have to do payroll for two companies.

Have a good one all. May you reach your goals for the day.

MayinJerset
September 17th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Been there and doing that too. No advice because most of us are in the same predicament. I tend to tire myself out thinking about what I'm going to do today that very little ever gets done. I find that if I have a deadline to complete something, like straightening up the house because company is coming, I get it done on time. Just thinking that I should straighten up doesn't get me moving.

dwil23
September 17th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I'm right here with you - I am still working and will be for a long time, I'm afraid. I get very frustrated when I don't accomplish enough on my days off. The days, weeks, months are flying by and this year is nearly over. I really have to get a move on , too.

WendyI
September 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Well I first have to commend you for giving up the pop...aside from the caffeine that is in most dark soft drinks, there are 6 tsps of sugar in a single can of pop! Even cutting down to two a day that's still 12 tsps....and I'm sure that won't include what you are putting in coffee or tea. Unless of course you are drinking sugar-free, but then aspartame is an entirely different set of problems. So good for you for limiting it!

I work on a computer all day and when it's busy at work the last thing I want to do is go on when I'm at home. I'm not sure why you are off work but once you go back, your life will surely settle back into a more stable routine. Until then, I say enjoy it! LOL! Unless you're upset about not getting projects done then sounds like you have a solid plan!

Lindagie
September 17th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Well this sounds like me. I have to check out email, FB, this site in the a.m. Sometimes I get an idea and start surfing for all kinds of things; before I know it, two hours have passed by. DH and I are retired as well. Since his heart surgery last winter, I spent a lot more time cooking "healthy meals" for us, but lately we have been slacking on that. Gotta get back to that for both of our sakes, but I think it takes more planning, time and effort to do that. I don't know how I ever got things done when I worked.

Well, I CAN get things done when I have to; otherwise I just ignore it. If I have to watch one of the grandkids when I hadn't planned on it; that messes me up as well, as I have to put a lot of my sewing stuff away when the little ones are here. I get stressed when I put things off and then have to rush to get them all done. The neverending circle. I really need to have a daily plan and stick with it Get on the computer with my morning coffee; limit the time and then off to do housework, laundry, yard work or whatever. I should then do the quilting projects in the afternoon and early evening after dinner. I can't see so well at night to do hand-quilting, so I need to get an Ott light or something. Looks like I need to follow Theresa's lead and make a plan and stick to it! I'm sure I would get a lot more accomplished with much less stress! The big problem is that I am a procrasanator, not naturally an organized person, too Right brained, I guess! :D

Bubby
September 17th, 2013, 02:49 PM
It sounds to me like you are trying to fix and accomplish too much at the same time.

Making 8-10 quilts between now and Christmas plus all the other things you listed sounds unrealistic and like a recipe for failure. You sound too busy and way too stressed. The only one who can control your stress is you...can you take a day or two to calm down and get some rest? Then I would make a realistic list of goals and begin to work on them.

SallyO'Sews
September 17th, 2013, 03:24 PM
First, I really admire you for deciding to make positive changes. The older I get, the harder it seems!

I recently read this acronym for setting goals and keeping them. It's helped me for the past little while! I have it taped to my desk at work, just in front of my computer keyboard: Set SMART goals!
Specific (today/this week, I will ..... )
Measurable (at the end of the day, you need to be able to look at your goals; did you really stick to only 2 sodas today?)
Attainable (2 sodas per day may be more manageable for you than going cold turkey)
Realistic (umm... about those 8 quilts by Christmas ... :icon_happy:)
Timely (let's start to work on our goals today, instead of "someday." But let's also realize that it took longer than 2 weeks to get where I am; it'll take longer than 2 weeks to turn things around!)

Hope that helps. And best wishes for your time management plans. Do keep us posted with your successes - I'm sure we will find it very inspiring!

HdWench
September 17th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Congrats on taking control of what you do! I'm sure giving up soda/pop is hard to go cold turkey so only 2 a day does sound like a reasonable goal and much healthier. Are you a list maker? What time of day do you feel you have the most energy and focus?

Maybe if you jot down those it will help you make a list of your goals by the times and hours you are most ready to go?

Sally - that is a great acronym, thanks for sharing.

quiltingtrish
September 17th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Teresa - what a great start to try to change some things in your life so you are not so frustrated at the end of the day. I think most of us have this problem. Look at all the people that wait until the last minute to get Christmas or birthday or graduation, etc. gifts finished on time. And, it's not like all of a sudden it is announced that one of these events is coming up again. Heck, it's even already put out there how many days are left until this or that event. And yet, we procrastinate until the last minute. This could relate to our quilting to cleaning the house to whatever needs done.

Don't tell anyone - but I have this problem too. I know I am a procrastinator. The worst thing I procrastinate at is hitting the food store. I don't like that place at all. Probably because it costs too much for everything there.

It does sound like you have a lot going on that needs finished (8 to 10 quilts by Christmas?) Unless you are a very fast quilter, and I am not - try to not overdo your lists. It's great to have a goal but I don't want you to wear yourself out before Christmas even gets here.

One thing I am working on is our debt. Of course having 3 kids over the age of 19 still living here doesn't help. I always think when this or that happens, I can put some away for savings. It hasn't seem to have happened yet and I have 5 years to get the debt down so I can retire. I am trying to pay down a home equity and Visa so when the time comes we are not spending our money on those two things. The only scary thing is wondering where this Country is going as the middle class is disappearing.

My new motto is "What you allow is what you continue". So, we are looking at the spending to see where we can make cuts. We are looking for things to cut out of our lives - I think it's all the little stuff that adds up. Over a year ago, we have already cut out the cable and the local and long distance on the home phone, and make the kids pay their fair share of their cell phones (part of the basic package and their part for the smart phone stuff - DH and I don't even have a smart phone). We don't eat out, I pack my lunch for work, have a job in town that takes me 4 minutes to get to, took an after school job, hang all our clothes outside to dry, and even do the dishes by hand, etc., etc., And still, no money for savings. The minute I save up from the savings from cutting out the things I just mentioned, it seems to be needed somewhere else instead of put away. That's what I'm working on. I might have to start making quilts to sell.

I'm rooting for you Teresa! Make sure you let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,

Lisapc
September 17th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Is hard to make new habits. I am pulling for you!

bdmsmith
September 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Well I first have to commend you for giving up the pop...aside from the caffeine that is in most dark soft drinks, there are 6 tsps of sugar in a single can of pop! Even cutting down to two a day that's still 12 tsps....and I'm sure that won't include what you are putting in coffee or tea. Unless of course you are drinking sugar-free, but then aspartame is an entirely different set of problems. So good for you for limiting it!

I work on a computer all day and when it's busy at work the last thing I want to do is go on when I'm at home. I'm not sure why you are off work but once you go back, your life will surely settle back into a more stable routine. Until then, I say enjoy it! LOL! Unless you're upset about not getting projects done then sounds like you have a solid plan!

Going down to 2 cans per day is a huge step for me. I'm not a coffee drinker---love the smell, hate the taste. So even in the mornings the first thing I'd have is pop. I went to breakfast yesterday morning with my son and I ordered raspberry tea---normally I would've had pop. However, it seems when I order tea when I'm out they either load it down with too much sugar (McD) or the tea's so week you can't even taste it. The one I had yesterday was ok but a bit sweet....odd that I can drink pop with all that sugar but it's too much when it's in tea. When I make tea at home I make it hot with my Keurig and then add 1 tsp sugar and pour it over ice----nice tea flavor but not too sweet.

I resigned my job in Jan because of new upper managers and they wanted me to travel 4-5 days a week instead of the 2-3 that I agreed when I took the job. Plus I had a relatives child that I was taking care of to keep her out of foster care and that much overnight travel just wouldn't work. Since my jobs are normally management I tend to work long hours when I work which is why I wanted to get as many fun projects done now since when I'm back to work that likely won't happen. I hear what you're saying about being on the computer all day at work because that's generally what I'm used to so maybe that's why I've been spending so much time on here. Thanks for the encouragement!

bdmsmith
September 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Bubby---after reading your post I got to counting the days/weeks and realize 8-10 is a lot. When I put that down I was going off the top of my head. So I decided I'd better figure out a more solid number. I basically want to do throws for dad,stepmom, mom, stepdad, sister, niece, nephew, grandpa----so that is 8. However, technically my grandpa's could be after Christmas because it's usually in January when I give him his gift even though it's just down the road and I see him every week. For some reason I always wait until after the hussle & bustle of Christmas is over before I go to his house. Plus, I could hold off on my niece & nephew and give them something else for Christmas and then make their quilts for their bdays next year. Whew, I'm feeling a bit better already. So technically I would have 4 that I really want to make for Christmas but if I could get more that's great and if not I have a plan set. Thanks for pointing that out because it got me looking at the calendar and realizing how close we actually are to Christmas!

Sally O'Sews--I've seen the SMART plan or something similar to it before. Thanks for posting it. Since a couple of people did comment about my goal I went and re-evaluated it and re-set my plan. I figure you guys are much more experienced on what is realistic in that area!

HDWench---I am a list maker and make lists for everything. I am not a morning person which is why I set the goal of getting up earlier. I feel so much more productive in the afternoon to evening. I could stay up past midnight and sew but it would disrupt my husband's pattern since he works and he has trouble going to bed if I don't go to bed as well. So, I generally will lay in bed and read a book or make more lists for the next day.

QuiltingIrish--Thanks for your encouragement and I know what you mean about trying to save. I also have 3 kids--boys 16, 19, 22 and the oldest 2 are in college and live at home. I make huge meals for all these boys, plus there's almost always a friend or 2 of theirs over. Saving is really hard and harder now for us as well since my husband is the main breadwinner. I like your motto "what you allow is what you continue"---it is what I finally realized because if I didn't make the change then it was my own fault for being stuck in the same cycle.

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. Yesterday went great! Out of the pop and internet---surprisingly staying off the computer was the hardest. I had a couple hiccups in my schedule because I ended up spending an hour in the ATT store trying to resolve a problem with my sons phone and then spent 2 more hours on the phone with them to get everything fixed. However, I did finally finish my husband's king size quilt and I posted the pics on a different thread. Now I can move on and get some other projects started----hopefully a couple small ones to start so that I can get the feeling of accomplishment going. I didn't have much of a problem with the pop yesterday and ended up having only about a can and a half, so under my goal which was good---however the 1st day is generally easy and I just need to keep that up.

I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one that struggles with some of these issues. I look forward to seeing how some of you progress and make changes as well. I'm already over my time on the internet for the day since I wanted to get my pics posted, so I'm going to sign off until lunch and get busy! I hope you all have a great day!!!

Bubby
September 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM
We all struggle and we all seem to have way too much on our plates. I would crumble with your load....I really hope your plan works out for you. Hugs, Barb