PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person with.....

bellasnanny247
September 17th, 2013, 05:26 AM
a spouse who doesn't get it? I recently participated in a mystery quilt along here on msqc, Into the Light. It is a bright,rainbow colored rail fence pattern, and my husband asked if he could have it-I said sure. I still have to sandwich and quilt it-so it is on a table next to the sewing machine. I was out running errands this past weekend and came home to his "masterpiece". He had taken the quilt top, which measures 60X65(more like a lap size) and folded it up so he could display it in a shadowbox, 24X24. He didn't understand why I was a little upset. So I told him I would create a panel in a smaller size so he could frame that instead of hiding most of the hard work I just completed-LOL!

shermur
September 17th, 2013, 06:06 AM
No, sweetie...you are not the only one whose husband does not understand. My DH always asks each time I bring fabric into the house "Why are you bringing more fabric home?" and "Why do you spend the time you do in your sewing room?"
I have explained the reasons to each one of his questions very thoroughly; since menopause hit me with a raging force, quilting helps calm/soothe me. Giving me a sense of accomplishment and giving something of myself.
I wish my DH understood and supported my passion; don't ask why....

PeggyM
September 17th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Feel honored that he wanted to display it. I once made my (former) MIL a queen zize crocheted afgan, whick she used to cover exercize equipment.

Bubby
September 17th, 2013, 08:04 AM
My Hubby Jeff gets it...he gets it big time. I'm really proud of him. He is always sketching floor plans for my next quilting studio. This guy is a real keeper!!

Lonna
September 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I am a lucky one Wayne gets it. He will even see when I am in a bad mood or not feeling quite right and he will say "Lonna don't you need to go into your sewing room". He knows that my room is my escape from all the troubles of the world.

HdWench
September 17th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Awww a very sweet thought to frame it, but you're right it was tons of work and needs to be quilted and on a bed to have it really sparkle. My DH only get's the fabric part, he will go with me sometimes but I think is puzzled as to why I love quilting more than my other sewing. Maybe those husbands that have a wonderful hobby they love too can relate better?

MayinJerset
September 17th, 2013, 09:20 AM
My DH is sort of in the middle, he does suggest stopping at quilt shops when we go somewhere but doesn't get it that buying fabric is only part of our quilting obsession. I have so many WIPs, UFOs and fabric with plans for future quilts sometimes I can't think straight, so at times buying more fabric is only more confusing. At least I don't have to hide my fabric purchases from him. Since I'm a coordinator of my guild's Project Pillowcases he will bring over some cute fabrics saying this would make good pillowcases. What he doesn't understand that the project has a very small budget and I can afford to buy only so much fabric from my own pocket. Will be at some quilt shops this weekend and when he does that I'll ask him to buy a few yards and donate it.

While I don't fully understand the workings of his hobbies, photography and woodworking, I support them. Asked him to mat and frame some of his photos to hang on our walls and he has made several pieces of furniture for our home and other family members homes. Have to shoot down many of his ideas for furniture, while they are attractive they usually are much too big for our modest sized home or items that just don't got with the rest of our furniture.

Lisapc
September 17th, 2013, 09:51 AM
My hubby calls precuts scraps! He is all for me doing it but whenever I finish something he says, "are you gonna sell it?" He wants me to sell everything. When I started teaching my GD to make flowers and design her blocks for her applique quilt he says, "hey, can you charge people for that?" I was working on one quilt that has no intended home and I got the fabric inexpensively so I bought double. One to donate to the baptism gift bag at the church and the other to sell. When he said, "another quilt for Lillyana?" I said, "no, this one I am selling." His face lit up. He thinks any endeavor is about money. He has to modes, personal/love and money, making it and what it costs him.

I am really hoping that Christmas night after my daughter, his father and step mother and my parents get their quilts from me that he sees it differently. Hoping but know it is a long shot.

bdmsmith
September 17th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I would say my DH gets it for the most part---we was heading to town & my mom texted about a quilt show & so he asked if I wanted to stop. He loves looking at the quilts too. A lady there invited me to a quilt guild meeting that was the next night and my husband kept telling me that I should go. I ended up not going since I wanted to work on finishing my quilt but I will probably go next month.

My Dh actually started my obsession because I was sewing outfits and he had said he wanted me to make a quilt for his bday present. That got me searching & is when I found M*. His bday was 8/31 and the quilt was mostly done. Today I have to FMQ border, put on binding and add a tag then it's done----however, my husband insisted on me putting it on the bed the last 2 nights because he just couldnt wait to use it.

He also suggested I move my sewing 'stuff' (totes, machine, table, etc) from the LR into the mud room. He told me to clean it out and use that as my sewing room, so I did for the most part----it still needs some cleaning and organizing but my sewing stuff is all organized which is what matters, right?

The part he doesn't get is the purchasing more fabric, templates, and quilting items----he said that I have tons of fabric as it is and why do I need more. However, he doesn't really push it...he just comments once in awhile if I say I need to go to the fabric store.

Last weekend I was sitting at my computer desk sketching out a Jacob's ladder quilt (one of many Christmas gifts I want to make) and experimenting with using a variety of colors, and he walks by, stops at my shoulder and just grins and shakes his head. I asked him 'what? don't you like it?'----he just said 'it looks fine, I was just thinking I was glad you're doing this...you could be doing worse things.' ....what he meant is that I could be like his friend's wife that hangs out in bars and is always running around-----he said he's happy that I like to do things like this and that I like to be home.

Suzette
September 17th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I guess I'm lucky that my husband not only gets it, but whole-heartedly supports and encourages my craft in every way. He really does seem to understand all that goes into a quilt and often compliments me and encourages me throughout the process. I have made two quilts specifically for him and he does cherish them (and uses them often!) :icon_bigsmile:

But I do love that your husband wanted to show off your quilt to him by displaying it the way he did. Clever and sweet! :icon_bigsmile:

LynneLeavell
September 17th, 2013, 11:10 AM
My husband totally gets it. He rolls his eyes when I do a quilt for someone and they say they will pay for it and I don't get what I actually have in the quilt. Him and my daughter both call me a fabric horder. I tell them I am not a horder I am a collector. They know that when I get to sew I am happier. He loves going to my favorite quilt store in McDonough. Partly because he loves the people and the store owners as much as I do, but we also work in a trip for him to Bass Pro Shop in Macon or a gun somewhere along the way.

GuitarGramma
September 17th, 2013, 11:42 AM
My husband is so supportive. Early on in my quilting life, we saw a tv show about quilts. At the end he said, "Quilts are art with a purpose. That makes a difference to me. " He immediately became my biggest cheerleader.

Shortly thereafter, I was showing his brother the matching bedspreads I had just made. He said, "Let me get this straight; you cut fabric up into tiny little pieces and then you sew it all back together?!?!" I said, "I married the right brother. " :icon_woot:

Miss Sheri
September 17th, 2013, 11:46 AM
My DH does NOT get it. Nope, not even close. I love that big, wonderful man, but here is an example...

DH, "Where have you been?"
Me, "Downstairs sewing."
DH, "On what?"
Me, "A Travel bag for our trip to Florida in a couple of weeks."
DH, " What did you need that for?, You have a travel bag!"
Me, " It wasn't a matter of NEED, I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could make my own bag, like the ones they sell for more than $100.00, and I think I'm liking mine even better"
DH, "But you didn't need it, why bother?!"
Me, "Never mind, you don't understand. I like it and to me, it IS worth the time and effort."
Same type of conversation with every quilt I make. He is very practical, and I am very creative. Not sure how exactly we got together, but he is a keeper in so many other ways, that I just 'deal with it' on these kinds of issues.

Glad yours 'sort of' gets it. :icon_bigsmile:

MRoy
September 17th, 2013, 12:22 PM
My DH really gets it. His mom and grandmother were both quilters. His grandmother spent the winters with his mom when he was growing up and they would quilt together. He really appreciates quilting and quilts.

alliek
September 17th, 2013, 12:51 PM
My DH is very encouraging about praising my work, even when it's not good.LOL:lol:He always asks if I want to stop at a fabric shop if we pass one while traveling. He also helps layer some of the larger quilts. What he doesn't understand is why I have to send out particular quilts to be quilted. I try to explain, Oh well.

nyscpa2be
September 17th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Nope. The adult of the male persuasion does not get it. And he lives with two quilters. There is always hope. And hope for miracles to take place. But his tractors - oh, if he gets two pieces to fit together, that is cause for celebration!

WendyI
September 17th, 2013, 02:02 PM
My DH gets the hobby...but as a Scot, he can't stand the money spent! sigh.

pcbatiks
September 17th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I am blessed that my husband gets it. He took me to the Houston International Quilt Show last year as my birthday present.......and he enjoyed looking at the quilts with me. When I 1st started quilting 2 years ago I bought a couple of boxes of scraps at a garage sale. He would jokingly tell me that he "wanted to see more than 2 pieces of fabric sewn together" before I bought anymore. Well I would start laughing before he finished saying it and he would have a smirk on his face. Little did he know that I was working on a quilt for him with lots of little squares! On the label for his quilt I put the comment about "more than 2 pieces of fabric". He will give me his opinion when I need some input & always gives encouragement. He is my biggest fan!

His "funny" comment recently was when I found all that thread at a garage sale. I was looking up prices online because I wanted to know how much it cost compared to what I paid. I added it all up.........about $500 worth of thread for $40! When I excitedly told his how much it originally cost.........the first thing out of his mouth was "We should sell it!!!"..........of course I could see the hint of a smirk on his face. The 1st thing I said was "Are You Crazy??!!!" He is a keeper......... :)

Cathy F
September 18th, 2013, 09:54 PM
I definetly have a keeper! He doesn't mind going to the quilt shop with me when I go for fabric,he'll quietly look around. That's how I got my embroidery machine, he saw an employee working on it while I was picking out some fabric and was fascinated watching it. That's what he bought for my Christmas present that year.

Fabriclovr
September 18th, 2013, 10:04 PM
a spouse who doesn't get it? I recently participated in a mystery quilt along here on msqc, Into the Light. It is a bright,rainbow colored rail fence pattern, and my husband asked if he could have it-I said sure. I still have to sandwich and quilt it-so it is on a table next to the sewing machine. I was out running errands this past weekend and came home to his "masterpiece". He had taken the quilt top, which measures 60X65(more like a lap size) and folded it up so he could display it in a shadowbox, 24X24. He didn't understand why I was a little upset. So I told him I would create a panel in a smaller size so he could frame that instead of hiding most of the hard work I just completed-LOL!

If you take all of the measurements of the original quilt and divide them in 1/2 so you have 3 1/4 squares, then it will make the perfect size wall hanging and now that you have seen the pattern, you have the chance to choose fabrics that make the center 'pop' if you didn't like your 1st choices.

As for DH getting it... we moved into a new house and he let me put my sewing studio in the master bedroom and use the master closet for storage of my fabrics.. check out my sewing room pictures :)... yeah, he gets it!

PeggyM
September 18th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I think I just found the upside of being a widow. (B'lieve me there are more down sides.) Love every bit of the husband you have. What was that book? Men are fom Mars, Women are from Venus?

Joan@DebtofGratitude
September 18th, 2013, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=Lisapc;383201]My hubby calls precuts scraps! He is all for me doing it but whenever I finish something he says, "are you gonna sell it?" He wants me to sell everything. When I started teaching my GD to make flowers and design her blocks for her applique quilt he says, "hey, can you charge people for that?" I was working on one quilt that has no intended home and I got the fabric inexpensively so I bought double. One to donate to the baptism gift bag at the church and the other to sell. When he said, "another quilt for Lillyana?" I said, "no, this one I am selling." His face lit up. He thinks any endeavor is about money. He has to modes, personal/love and money, making it and what it costs him.

This made me laugh. I was quilting tonight and my husband said, "Just think, if you sold that quilt for $400, and sold 9 more, you could pay Kate's college tuition." He was serious. I laughed out loud. Like anyone in our small town would pay $400 for one of my quilts. Like I could make and sell TEN of them in the next few months what with my more-than-full-time job. Guess men are just math machines. Or mercenaries.