PDA

View Full Version : Fried Green Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
September 17th, 2013, 01:21 AM
I was wondering something today while playing with my batiks. What would I be doing if I didn't quilt? I would certainly have more time (and money, but that's another story). Have you ever thought about this?

I think most of us have had other hobbies, worked on other crafts. I've done embroidery, knitting, made clothes for the kids and a bit of pottery. Then I discovered quilting and everything else went out the window. Quilting is my passion like none of the other crafts were.

Quilting is a particularly giving art. What I mean is, we quilters love to give away our quilts! We make them for others all the time, and if we run out of family and friends (often before this) we begin to make them for charity, for people we will never meet this side of heaven. We'll never know if our quilts are loved and cherished or abandoned for a store-bought blanket. But we make them and give them. Can this be said of any other craft?

I'd like to think I'd volunteer more if I did not quilt. I like to be helpful to others. But I don't have a car and it would be a hardship for my family to buy one for me. I cannot work outside the home because of my frequent migraines, so that's out. Maybe I'd clean and cook more but will that have any lasting value? Of course not.

What about you? What would you do with your time if you did not quilt? How would you spend the hours now quilting if you did not have this passion? Just something to think about.

Granny Judy
September 17th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Geesh, I have already gone thru the knitting & crocheting, Scrapbooking and rubber stamps, recycling and painting. I just don't know what I'd do if I didn't have my Quilting. You just hush up and quit giving me a heart attack........

HdWench
September 17th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Deep thoughts by Cyndi! I've done macramae, knitting, crochet, blah blah sew clothing professionally, but when I learned how to quilt - My life was turned upside down in a Good way! I used to be a better housekeeper, but who cares about that? hmm I'm more house bound now and thrilled to find a LOVE in quilting that I can share with Quilts4Kids!

I used to foster more (cats), but after adopting 6 had to stop that.. What would we do if not quilting? Maybe more housework, more TV time... I don't find those satisfying ventures either. This winter I will again TNR (trap, neuter, return) feral cats so that will take some of my nighttime life up, but I bet I still find time to get my 1 quilt a month done hahaha!

Looking forward to hearing what others think?

Sew Perfect
September 17th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Well, this is a moment of truth for me because I've not done many hobbies other than painting glass and a little bit of counted cross stitch. Oh, I guess I was a pretty good house keeper and loved to bake for my kids. I did the occasional faux painting for people, owned a home staging and redesign business. But the kids grew up and the back starts to hurt, so the other stuff was pretty much out.

I don't know what I would do if I didn't have quilting. My friend and I were just discussing this very topic the other day, and I told her the same thing. Without quilting, what else is there? In the Spring and Summer, I enjoy gardening and yard work quite a bit. Unfortunately, our winters are longer than the other seasons around here. Maybe, I would go to the nursing home and volunteer there. Who knows?

Cathy F
September 17th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Cyndi, good topic, I've never really given it any thought. I've done a lot of other crafts throughout the years but none have given me the satisfaction or sense of peace as quilting.I'd like to think it would be something meaningful though.

MayinJerset
September 17th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Night Owl May checking in. All is clear on my watch.

I would say as far back as 13 years ago I spent a lot of time gardening, really down on your knees digging in the dirt gardening, and painting, canvases as well as walls. Arthritis crept up and slowly put an end to those two hobbies but lucky for me 14 years ago I learned to quilt so I had a good hobby, make that obsession, to replace my other hobbies. those other hobbies required just a few tools or equipment but quilting takes up one room, a clothes closet, a linen closet, sewing machines in the sewing room upstairs and one under my dining room table downstairs. Not to mention my Pillowcase Project stuff that is stored in my garage and car trunk. I have to say I am happier now with quilting as I can share my quilts many family and friends as well as donating them to others in need.

Hulamoon
September 17th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Sorry about your migraines, my mom used to have them :(

I have a question first. Are you going to pick out of a hat the nightly owls threads title? lol

I make childrens clothing, but took a break because of a ailing family member. I like to make things with wood and have a scroll saw. And I like to make mosaics with cracked dishes. Gardening, making bread. Kind of all over the place.

Madeforyouinma11
September 17th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Wow..I've done so many things, to include macramé, knitting, crocheting, crosstiching, glass etching, egg decorating(not Easter), card making....I still do some of these things but since I have begun to quilt it has really become a passion and something I really want to be good at. I agree with May...it does take up a whole lot more room but luckily I have a spare room all to myself. I don't work either so being home gives me so much more time. I do some light renovations around the house but I crave to quilt when it's been too long. I would like to think that I would be volunteering somewhere if I didn't quilt. Making quilts and giving them to charities is very satisfying, so I will definitely not stop.

Monique
September 17th, 2013, 05:18 AM
I am only up and at 'em cause the alarm went off and I am preparing to leave for Lancaster, PA, WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I threw myself into plastic canvas for a while, I have done a little knitting but when I bought my first quilt magazine, well that was it. I was hooked to say the least.

shermur
September 17th, 2013, 05:31 AM
This is a great topic! Being the perfect wife and Mother? Well, let's just say in my detail orientated mind...there's always room for improvement. I've always had just a slight free spirit and let my passions rule!

Over the years, I've done many things. Played piano at church at services and revivals, embroidery, counted cross stitch projects, crochet, and sewn many, many garments. I have also donated many hours of time to 4-H, dog training/bully dog rescue, and competitive softball (team Mom). And having a career outside of the home, makes my passions have to take a back burner most days. The main times I get to be in my sewing room is making time on the weekends and a lot of house cleaning doesn't get done!

I guess the passion was influenced in me while growing up. My Mother sewed all of our clothes until I was 10 years old and many garments after that. By the time I was 16, I could make my own clothes and would stay up Friday and Saturday nights working frantically to have a new outfit! My paternal grandmother quilted and since she was a stay at home wife, she had plenty of time to do her magic. I have thought many times while at work or doing chores...what wonderful creation could I be working on in my sewing room? And this year taking on the challenge doing quilts for the 5 kids? Just leaving a piece of myself to those I love!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 17th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I always sewed SOMETHING since I really learned at age 10. Mostly clothing, sometimes craft items, costumes. Since i became widowed in 2006, my sewing turned me into a costumer for community theatre groups, I've costumed over 40 shows since then. My aunt quilted, and I always said I would take it up when I retired. Well, I started about 3 years before I retired, and now, I get to do it everyday that I have free time. I've done a bit of scrapbooking, jewelrymaking, music for church, knitting a loooong time ago. I totally love quilting, it is a very big passion for me, and yes, it does take up a lot of space! Like about 4 rooms in my house! It's good I have the whole place to myself!

bkthomas
September 17th, 2013, 06:15 AM
I can't even imagine what that might be! But it definitely would involve a sewing machine!

Bailey65
September 17th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I truly do not know what I would be doing if I did not have quilting thanks to Jenny. Back in February 2012 I was at my lowest point with my Fibro and would sit for hours wasting away on the Laptop because I could not do much else with all my pain. Well I came across one of Jenny's tutorials and became hooked. I had always wanted to quilt but thought you needed to be a Rocket Scientist to make one of those. But Jenny made it look so easy. So I now had something to take up my time and even on bad days I make it to the sewing room. I now have a purpose! I have done several crafts through the years but quilting is now my passion and I owe a HUGE thank you to Jenny :D

carrie liz
September 17th, 2013, 09:18 AM
My hands have been attacked by RA and have lost strength plus my fingers are frozen so they do not bend properly. I thought I would never quilt again. Then I saw a kit for a baby quilt and mentioned to the store owner that I thought I could do that quilt if someone cut the pieces. She immediately opened the kit and cut each piece. Then my husband bought me a machine with push buttons and I was off and running again. Some days I can cut a little but other days I rely on my friend or my husband. It is slow, but eventually I get finished and it is amazing when you are house bound how much can be done with an hour here or an hour there. Then I found Jenny and precuts which has opened up another world. Then too, just because my hands don't work very well doesn't take away what I know....so I am teaching a couple of ladies now. They pay me by cutting strips for me or taking me to the fabric shop when they go. I would be lost without quilting and my new friends.

CrazyGranny
September 17th, 2013, 09:27 AM
You are going to fill each 24 hr. period the Good Lord gives you doing something so why not do something YOU love and enjoy! I sat in our 900 plus sq. ft. apt. for 18 mos. watching TV I did not care about after we retired to a new town where I knew no one. My darling GD asked me to make an oversize lap quilt for her to snuggle in as she embarked on nursing school studies. She did not realize I had not LOOKED at my fabrics in ages. I sure was not going to tell her no! That was over a year ago and my house is a mess most of the time, DH has not complained because I am happy again because I am sewing, quilting, creating, and doing things for my family! So little time, sew much fabric!!!

Lisapc
September 17th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I went to sleep early last night and my only regret is missing the night owls.

I have to say that if I didn't have quilting I would be doing more consulting work. I don't know if it is because my mother always worked at least part time or because I was a single Mom for 12 yrs but I have to have some sort of income. I carry one or two clients at a time and that allows me in my head to devote my time to things I want to do. There is never enough time anyway. Right now I am actually missing my other time keepers. Writing, painting, clay and frankly whatever I see and want that I think I can make better I try. I garden, train dogs and just get to enjoy my life and I am grateful to hubby because without him I would be working too hard and end up being too tired to have any creative time at all.

What would I do? Work, from home all the time but still work.

Bubby
September 17th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I'm with Judy. I have done all the other crafts in my lifetime...x-stitching, knitting, needlepoint, crochet, macramé (can you believe it!), weaving, pottery, tole painting, garment sewing, papermaking, soap making, sculpting, hot glue gun crafting, etc. Quilting is my thing. I worked hard all my life so I could make lots of quilts when I retired. That's what I'm doing. I still manage to volunteer at our community center and I am active in community service. Still, I would rather be quilting than anything!

Lindagie
September 17th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I am like most of you; have tried about all of those; sewing, embroidery, cross-stitch, tole-painting; you name the craft, I probably tried it; even took a quilting class years and years ago; made two pillow tops and and one tote bag for my niece. Life was so busy with work, famlly, school, kid's sports, you know the drill. One of my former co-workers and her family quilted every week together, making a quilt for everyone in the family. I decided to make a quilt for my first grandchild nine years ago. Handquilted it, since that is all I knew how to do. I made one for every subsequent grandchild and then I just happened across Jenny's Quilting Quickly class on Sympoz and signed up for it; got me hooked. Now I love it and am always adding to the bucket list. It is especially helpful during the winter months when the weather is too crappy to go anywhere. I can say that Jenny is the one who made quilting fun for me. I don't know if the family members appreciate anything that I make for them, but thats ok, as long as I don't see a quilt covering up a rusty tractor or used as a floor rag. It is very therapeutic for me; and I have something to show for all those hours. Much better than doing all of those Soduko puzzles or playing Solitaire, although I still do those and read when I can. Depends on the mood and time of day! (I started this last night, but DH decided to get up and talk, so by 2 a.m. I was ready to sleep and didn't finish this. Not sure if anyone will read it, since it is now late morning; all night owls might be asleep)

cyndiofthevortex
September 17th, 2013, 02:50 PM
This night owl eventually gets to sleep, gets back up and enjoys every post! It's fun to read the ones posted in the daytime, too. Everyone has something interesting to add. Hope those daytime people know they are welcome here, too!

SallyO'Sews
September 17th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I'm afraid I would be a whole lot crankier.

I learned a little while back that it is very beneficial to me to make something beautiful with my hands. I work in an office all day, and have a very busy and full life, so no complaints here. But there is just something so cathartic, soothing, and stress-relieving about this hobby. It's something I do all by myself (and with one DH, 2 teens, two boomerangs, and a DIL in my house, I really need time alone :icon_razz: ), so it's my little "retreat." I love that each quilt is different, that the same pattern looks entirely different if different fabrics are used, and the same fabrics take on a whole new look when used in a different pattern! I love the planning, the fabric, the sewing, and the look on my family's faces when I'm done.

And I especially love coming here and sharing with all of you... Everyone here is so supportive and kind! I'm getting all happy just thinking about you all! Thanks, Cyndi, for bringing this up!

Blessings,
~ Sally \0/

HdWench
September 17th, 2013, 04:28 PM
CrazyGranny I'm SO happy your GD asked you to make her a quilt! Welcome it's good to see you here.

bkthomas
September 17th, 2013, 05:56 PM
This night owl eventually gets to sleep, gets back up and enjoys every post! It's fun to read the ones posted in the daytime, too. Everyone has something interesting to add. Hope those daytime people know they are welcome here, too!

Cyndiofthevortex, Have I told you lately that you are just the bestest?!!!!

Miss Sheri
September 17th, 2013, 06:19 PM
YES! I agree with Kathy! Cyndi you make me smile!
I too have plenty to keep me busy, and have to squeeeze time for my quilting. But, that is because I still have a houseful of teens/young adults and all their friends in and out everyday. I garden, read, make cards, cross-stitch, crochet, volunteer, cook and clean and try to keep everyone happy all the time. I am also a high school cook. When ever I can sneak in a few minutes by myself, I try to quilt.

GuitarGramma
September 17th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Sigh. For me the question is not "What would I do?" Instead it's "What do I do instead of quilting?" I volunteer for so many things, and of course those take priority over quilting because I made commitments and promises to other people. Some days I just want to turn into a hermit (with electricity) so I can just sit with my Juki and rotary cutter!

Ginny B
September 17th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Great question Cyndi! Well, let's see, I knit and crochet, I've done scrapbooking and cardmaking, done a bit of wood crafts. Gardening would probably be high on the list of what I would do if I wasn't quilting/sewing. But I've got to say that none of the other interests I've had have made me feel as passionate as quilting does.

KathieB
September 18th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Like most of you I have done counted cross stitch, macrame. scrap booking, crochet, penny rugging and sewing. I learned how to sew when I was about 10 years old. I made clothes, then curtains, shower curtains and eventually children's clothes. I seemed to learn a new craft from my new friends at every post we were stationed at. Over the years I have always come back to the sewing machine and was introduced to quilting by my younger sister.

If I couldn't quilt, I would make more penny rugs and counted cross stitch. I would also like to volunteer at the hospital or nursing home when my obligations at home are done.

Of course there's my gardens and I love being in them from April to October. I would never get any quilting done if I lived in a warmer climate!

Stacie
September 27th, 2013, 11:30 PM
I only started quilting a few months ago. Since I've been quilting I've lost almost all interest in watching TV. It just seems like a huge waste of sewing time!