PDA

View Full Version : Need cat advise

brook
September 16th, 2013, 03:41 AM
I have a cat that I have never left alone overnight. I've been invited by a friend to go somewhere for a couple of days. What does one do with a cat? It seems so sad to just leave her. When I'm gone in the evenings she gets a ball of string and drags the end of it all over the house trying to find me. Does anyone have advise on what to do with her?

dwil23
September 16th, 2013, 04:05 AM
She will be fine - though she might be lonely. Be sure to leave a good supply of dry food and lots of water. Do you have a friend or neighbor who could check on her? My SIL goes to Texas for a week at a time to visit her grandson. When she had a cat, I would stop by two or three times during the week to check on Sara, scoop her box and give her fresh water. Sadly, Sara died of cancer earlier this year.

The advantage of cats over dogs is that they can be left alone for a couple of days. I have heard of people leaving them for up to two weeks, but, except in an emergency that I think is too long.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 16th, 2013, 04:28 AM
My cat has been left with someone coming to check on him every other day for up to 10 days. He's all over me for about a half day, when I return, then he gets feisty with me, punishing his "person" for leaving him alone!

HdWench
September 16th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Check with your Vet's office to see if they know of any Cat sitters -- sometimes the Vet Tech's will do this for extra money. I would have someone over every day... but then again I'm a bit over board on caution - what if... They got their head or tail wrapped around the string -- what if they shut a door on themself? Like Jean when my cats are left for more than 1 night, they are all over me then do the "I am punishing you" treatment!! God I love them

yeeehawterri
September 16th, 2013, 09:00 AM
I've always left plenty of food/water, made sure the commode lids were down and my kitties were always just fine. As Jean said, overjoyed to see me for the first few hours, then the punishment began. My punishment would usually last either until bedtime, or maybe until the next day. The longest I've ever left them has been a week. I think my cats always enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Edited to add: I always left an extra litter box or two out depending on how long I was gone.

K. McEuen
September 16th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Ha! Talk about cat punishment. Bear had a cat door, he could go in and out at will. We left him a huge bowl of food and several bowls of water. When we got home after 6 days, he wasn't in the house, but you could tell he'd been eating, etc. Well in the middle of the night you could hear that cat door SLAM behind him. He marched in the house meowing at the top of his lungs, jumped up on the bed and climbed on top of me and layed down. Every time I went to roll over or move he would stand up, lean over in my face and meow loudly. I was getting a strong chewing out from him.

Your cat should be fine. If you can have someone come check on her every other day or so and give her fresh water. My sister boards her cat at the vet's office when she goes out of town, but Lily has some issues, like not eating sometimes and since she only weighs about 6 pounds it is better for her that she has someone that makes sure she eats.

bakermom
September 16th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I would have someone come in once a day and check on him. we used to leave our cats for a weekend and have my folks stop by once a day. Only problem, they would hide, even though they knew my parents. Dad wouldn't leave until he could locate them both even though we told him they would be fine. they were confined to the downstairs so there were not too any places to hide but they did anyway

cindyinohio
September 16th, 2013, 02:41 PM
We camp alot and had always left our cats with plenty of water and dry cat food. My mother would check them every day or so. Until..Sasha. We came home and my mom said she just sat on the recliner all day..there was an indentation. So we started taking her with us and she loved it. You may leave a light on and a radio so they don't feel alone. ( That's what I do when ever we leave our dog for any period of time..she's neurotic! )