PDA

View Full Version : Boulder Co. & Colo. Flooding

JCY
September 16th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Yes, some of us quilters were affected by the flooding. We've just been too busy to post! We had to leave our home in 5 min. Thurs. a.m. the 12th. Our street was flooded & the nearby creek was rising rapidly. We left with our neighbors in their pick-up & went to a Red Cross shelter. After 3 hrs., friends from our church rescued us & took us to their home. We were so thankful to have a haven in the storm & comfortable beds to sleep on instead of a cot in a crowded shelter. Fourteen counties in Colo. have been declared a disaster area. The National Guard has evac'd more people here than they did in Hurricane Katrina. Many mtn. communities have been isolated by roads & bridges being damaged, with no way in or out. Once the weather cleared up enough, people were airlifted out by helicopter. Many homes have been washed away or heavily damaged. Towns still have standing flood waters that have not receded. Schools are closed until Thurs. The Univ. of Colo. campus had damage to at least 70 of its buildings. Now the flooding has extended out to the Eastern Plains as rivers all across the Front Range swell from all the water that came through here. Ranches, farm lands, and communities are being inundated. The Boulder Co. sheriff stated this event was unprecedented. The newspaper is saying this was a 500 yr. flood.

The mandatory evac. order was lifted & we were allowed to return home yest. p.m. Thank the Lord, our home is intact with no damage. The power was off for an undetermined length of time, but food in the frig. & freezer were okay. My brand new sewing machine and all my quilting supplies are okay. :) The st. out front was a sea of thick gooey mud, but much of it got cleaned up by heavy equipment today. We had more rain today, & the creek still is running very high. Pray for the rain to quit & some warm, sunny days to help dry out things. There are many folks yet who need to be rescued. There have been several deaths & many folks are out of contact. They aren't being listed as missing yet. Utilities & phone reception have been interrupted, so communication has been difficult.

Some people have lost everything or their homes were heavily damaged. I saw on FB that the Lyons Quilting store survived the flood. I frequently shop there. It had just opened under new ownership in August.

It will take months if not years for everyone to recover from this disaster. Please keep us all in your prayers.
JCY

Lisapc
September 16th, 2013, 01:01 AM
I am so relieved to hear your home and you and your family are safe. I will continue to pray for those affected by this disaster.

easyquilts
September 16th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I am do glad to hear that you, your family and your home are all OK.

I just can't even imagine what it has been like for the people of Colorado.... God bless them all.

ksap
September 16th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Wow! So happy to hear that you, your family and your home are ok. I saw pictures on the computer and the devastation was shocking. My heart breaks for the people of Colorado as they deal with this overwhelming destruction. I have had the pleasure of visiting your beautiful state a few times. It's God's country for sure. A few years ago we went to Rocky Mountain National Park and it is one of my favorite places ever. I know that the residents of Colorado are very dedicated to their beautiful state so I know you all will stay strong. I am sure there will be a high level of commitment to recovery and rebuilding. Prayers for all of you, especially those who have lost a loved one. I'll be looking for ways to help from Kansas, maybe through the Red Cross. Hang in there.

pcbatiks
September 16th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Glad to hear that your family and home are okay..............thoughts and prayers for Colorado.

Judy, USMC
September 16th, 2013, 03:23 AM
So glad to hear you made it through OK! Hoping others will check in with similar stories of making it through undamaged....

Precious1
September 16th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Thank you for letting us know you and yours are ok. Will have my thoughts and prayers for those in Colorado experiencing this bad time and season.

dwil23
September 16th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Glad to hear you are okay. My prayers are with you all.

HdWench
September 16th, 2013, 06:37 AM
JCY thank you for taking your precious time to update us all! God bless you and your family and many prayers going to the state as they try and clean up after this horrible rain. 500 year flooding, wow no-one can prepare for that! So glad to hear from you, thanks again.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 16th, 2013, 07:37 AM
It's a terrible disaster! So glad you are OK , thanks for the update from someone directly affected by this!

Monique
September 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the update and glad you are ok. We have friends in Colorado, but we heard from them and they are all ok too. Praying for everyone.

lilmouse
September 16th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Thank you for the update....glad to hear that you are okay!

Bubby
September 16th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Thankfully you and your home are safe. I watch the floods on the new and I just have to cry....it's so heartbreaking. Stay safe and dry. Hugs, Barb

MayinJerset
September 16th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Haven't checked the news this morning, really afraid to check as I might see that things are getting worst rather than better. Praying that the rain has stopped and stays stopped.

quiltingtrish
September 16th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Glad you checked in and that you are ok. I was in Boulder back in 1981, so pretty there. Prayers coming for the state and all affected.

Hugs,

phoots
September 18th, 2013, 01:12 AM
JCY, you and everyone else in Colorado have been in my prayers for awhile now. Praying for clear skies.

Pam in Vegas