PDA

View Full Version : Aren't all owls night owls?

cyndiofthevortex
September 14th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Hello fellow sleep-deprived quilters! Let's all take a minute to think what it must be like to sleep through the night every night.

Sounds good, doesn't it? Some people actually do this.

I had a great day today with my 15 minutes of play. I discovered a few things. One is that 15 minutes is never going to be enough time. It's really a trap. You get sucked in and before you know it an hour has gone by. That's what almost happened to me today. I'll explain why it didn't in a minute.

Another thing I learned was something I really already knew but today it was flashing in neon colors - I love batiks! Oh do I ever love them! They just make me happy. I played with them all day today and it was wonderful.

Finally, I learned that it is fun to just play with fabric and not know what it's going to be when it grows up. I sewed today just for the joy of sewing. I have no idea what I'm going to do with these batik nine-patch squares but I know I'm going to enjoy making every single one of them.

I used my new Babylock Anna today for the first time. It's a little machine for classes and guild meetings but it sews perfectly. I love it and I'm so happy with it. My two DGSs, ages 5 and 6, helped me set it up. They took turns turning it on and off and stepping on the foot pedal to watch the needle go up and down. Then they saw all the batik squares I had cut for my 9-patches, hundreds of them. All of a sudden they got all sorts of ideas for how to use them. I made pockets for their shirts, sleeping bags for their legos and capes for their superhero figures. They had such fun poring over the beautiful fabrics to choose just the right ones. So that's why I made fewer nine-patch blocks than I might have if I hadn't had "help."
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

I told you it was a great day, didn't I?

kensington
September 14th, 2013, 02:05 AM
I'm sewing tonight... maybe watching an old movie too! It's 12:05 am here.

Lisapc
September 14th, 2013, 02:15 AM
They are very pretty.

I fell asleep on the couch at about 6pm and woke up at 10pm. I am not happy because I don't know how to get back on schedule. It's crazy.

I have an owl story. A few months ago I went to let Karli out to pee 'cause she was ringing the bell. When I went to open the door I saw something on the grass about 15 feet away. I put Karli back in the house and looked real close at this little brown fuzzy thing that was about 8-10 inches tall and realized it was a baby owl. I didn't want to deal with 2 dogs and the 8 yr old son trying to get outside to see it so I whispered to hubby. "There is a baby owl on the grass". He didn't care. I told him that I thought it might be hurt and even if it wasn't it wasn't safe from the dogs and they will have to go out soon. So we went looking and it was gone. He gave me that look that said I was crazy and didn't see anything and started walking around the yard. I told him there was no reason to walk around if it was gone and he just kept looking. 5 minutes later I opened the door to let both dogs out and 4 baby owls flew from 10 feet away. They were all sitting in my lilacs and we didn't notice them. They all buzzed hubbies head as they flew to a large maple tree and spent the rest of that night and about a week after that hanging out in that maple screeching back and forth with Mom and learning to hunt when the dogs and us were not outside. My BFF & my daughter took the kids to the zoo because I was still sick and brought me home a stuffed baby owl that sits proudly in my sewing room. Don't you love nature?

My play today, well I stopped to see my granddaughters after running a couple of errands and my mother was waiting for me with, "I have an idea". Her idea is a new dance bag for Kora. So we spent about an hour going back and forth around the design for the perfect dance bag because Kora is now on her third and they all have faults. So does designing count as playing? I seem to do a lot of that.

cyndiofthevortex
September 14th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Don't you love nature?

I love your owl story! That is so awesome! What a special gift to get to see those owls. I bet very few people have ever had the chance to have the kind of experience you and your family had. Lucky you!

PS My picture makes my blocks look so crooked but they are all really straight! Darn that camera, since it can't be my fault, right?

bkthomas
September 14th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Cyndi, I love your Batiks and how cool is that to make all those neat little things for the boys - that had to be fun!!!
kensington, enjoy your night of sewing and movie watching!
Lisa, love your little owl story and how nice for them to bring you a little owl, Can't wait to see how Kora's bag turns out, planning it sounds like a lot of fun playtime!
As for me I am having fun taking apart the quilt I made for my sis-in-law! I need to take it all apart and press the top and start over.....too bad because I had the corners mitered beautifully! It will be worth it in the end though!

Hulamoon
September 14th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Owls are good luck in Hawaii. I see them at night sometimes. They land on fences. Here are some really cute owl cookies:)

Lizy B (http://lizybbakes.blogspot.com/)

bkthomas
September 14th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Lorie the owl cookies really are cute!!!

turena65
September 14th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Oh boy... I just got back from the high school football game...I actually love football and it's so great to be able to support the local team in this little town. Our excuse is we still have one in high school, but she will be graduating in a few years so we need to find an excuse to still go and be supportive :) It's actually the first year in MANY that one of our kids isn't playing in the game. It seems strange now that Chase, our youngest son, has graduated and we aren't cheering him on...

I'm going to pop a movie in too because I will probably be up for a a few more hours cutting out the blocks for the new Snowball 4 patch. I have the Foilage layer cake and it's perfect for my parents' bed. Still debating whether or not to tackle the FMQ on it myself, or send it out to have it done. I've only FMQ'd a lap size and smaller so I'm not sure about doing a larger sized quilt....

Lisa, how fun for you to be able to enjoy those baby owls :) ... we have an old barn across the street and Natalie gets so mad because her bedroom window is on that side and those owls are just hoot-hooting half the night so she has a hard time sleeping.. The neighbor came over a while ago and said "Hey, you guys should take Nat over and check out the owls in the barn, they're pretty cool!", of course Natalie said "fine dad, but bring the gun with you when we go over there..." Natalie! I don't think so! ;)

Cyndi, how lucky for you to be able to spend so much time with your grandkids! ... my grandson lives 2 states over so we don't get to see him very often... we Skype instead! And your batiks are lovely :)

Well friends, I hope you get some rest at some point tonight... I go back to work Saturday night so I'm going to try and cram in as much play time with my fabrics tomorrow as I can... Nighty night!

Turena

toggpine
September 14th, 2013, 03:00 AM
We made our last run for baled grass products tonight. We brought home the last load of orchard grass hay on Wednesday, and tonight it was straw.
Unfortunately, our truck seems to be leaking something. Hubby found the trail all over the road and down the drive way from where he backed in. Ugh. We won't be home in the daylight to check it out until Sunday.

Happier news: Em & I are headed to the fair again tomorrow to help with the 4-H & FFA kids. One week and we'll be in with our own livestock! Whoo Hoo!

Off to catch 40 winks before dragging out to be there around 7:30.
Hugs! Cathy

Hulamoon
September 14th, 2013, 03:01 AM
Lorie the owl cookies really are cute!!!

They really are! I didn't realize there was a tutorial at the end. When I was a pastry cook at one hotel I had to come up with a Christmas party theme, so I chose Christmas cookies. Oh my gosh I was painting cookies for days! And I bought all my own cutters and still have them. Palm trees, elephants etc. I never took a picture and there were hundreds! What a crazy idea. lol

Granny Judy
September 14th, 2013, 03:01 AM
Just got off of Facebook and came to check on the DD... I do that a lot!! They might have some Batiks!! I'm hooked on them, too.

I was given some FABRIC!! DD#2 (the Professor) came home with a plastic shoe box filled with 4 one yard plus pieces of fabric from a co-worker who was de cluttering. Pastel; Pink, blue, and brown solids.. They are the 30 inch widths..so they're telling their age to me. Here I thought I would let my stash shrink, but now It's growing again. I give up on getting it all used up before I meet my Maker.. I'll just have her stuff the extras in with me as I go say hello to St Peter..

Sure could use some cookies... I'd make a batch, but they never last a day around here. The Harley Man gets hungry in the middle of the night..and there goes all my goodies!!

Best get myself horizontal and listen to my ipod.. It like having the television on but without having to keep my eyes open to watch.. No flashing lights on my lids to tempt me to open them.
Hugs to all you Night Owls. Hope to see you on here during the day.. after the noon hour. LOL

Sew Perfect
September 14th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Hello! I went to bed early last night, so I missed seeing everyone.

Tonight, I'm sewing also. I'm working on a PICU quilt. I have some Netflix going while I'm sewing. No one is home and it's rather peaceful at the moment. 1:06.

Sheena
September 14th, 2013, 03:13 AM
I wish I had owls. We do get bats fluttering around. One flew into my bedroom.

I didn't get the owl biscuits from your link, I got lunchbox message biscuits.

It's 7.11 am here and I've been up about half an hour and put the school uniforms in the wash. I'm going to a craft fayre with my friend Linda today, and tomorrow I'm going blackberry picking with my friend Jackie and we're going to make blackberry wine. I've already got 2 gallons on the go.

AlohaSandy
September 14th, 2013, 03:16 AM
I worked on quilting all day today after taking my GD to school this morning leaving the house at 6:40 a.m. taking 45 min to get her to school, traffic is bad in Hawaii but when it rains it is horrible worse than traveling on the 405 on a Friday night near the airport lol. I have been still working on this what I thought as a simple quilt until I had a bright idea "NOT" of using the rest of my left over Christmas charms as a part of my backing. Too much math for me and without help from this forum especially Doloris I would have never finished putting the back together tonight, it took me 5 days to get right. Thanks again for your help. So hopefully tomorrow I can start quilting it so I can get to my next project finishing my Falling Charms quilt out of Shabby Chic fabrics. I will be sticking to my normal backings on this one lol.

I didn't know owls were such good luck here in Hawaii and have yet to see one in Honolulu. The wind is so warm tonight it's kinda hard not to fall asleep but it's only 8 here too early for bed, guess I will go back to quilting, lol

bkthomas
September 14th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Sheena, you have to scroll down.....

Hulamoon
September 14th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Kawaihae, Hawai?i -- Footprints: ?Aumakua (http://www.pacificworlds.com/kawaihae/stories/story1.cfm)

I'm not sure if I really believe in luck, maybe sometimes. But I like the stories.:)

Hawaii Roxy
September 14th, 2013, 03:35 AM
I worked on quilting all day today after taking my GD to school this morning leaving the house at 6:40 a.m. taking 45 min to get her to school, traffic is bad in Hawaii but when it rains it is horrible worse than traveling on the 405 on a Friday night near the airport lol. I have been still working on this what I thought as a simple quilt until I had a bright idea "NOT" of using the rest of my left over Christmas charms as a part of my backing. Too much math for me and without help from this forum especially Doloris I would have never finished putting the back together tonight, it took me 5 days to get right. Thanks again for your help. So hopefully tomorrow I can start quilting it so I can get to my next project finishing my Falling Charms quilt out of Shabby Chic fabrics. I will be sticking to my normal backings on this one lol.

I didn't know owls were such good luck here in Hawaii and have yet to see one in Honolulu. The wind is so warm tonight it's kinda hard not to fall asleep but it's only 8 here too early for bed, guess I will go back to quilting, lol

We will have to get together sometime and maybe make a owl quilt??!! Wouldn't that be a HOOT!!?? hahahha

pcbatiks
September 14th, 2013, 03:37 AM
What........Cyndi didn't bring donuts tonight! I was hungry for one.......oh well.......chocolate milk & crackers! I'm up now because my rear end was dragging around 8 pm & fell asleep on the couch while watching some music performances on PBS. Went to a few garage sales Friday morning and then worked on my SS gifts a little while. Just thought I would say hello to the night shift :D. Lisa......that must have been so much fun to see the baby owls.

pcbatiks
September 14th, 2013, 03:41 AM
We will have to get together sometime and maybe make a owl quilt??!! Wouldn't that be a HOOT!!?? hahahha

Roxy.........only one thing to say about that joke. :icon_shake::icon_shake::icon_shake::icon_shake::i con_shake: :D Hahahaa

Lisapc
September 14th, 2013, 03:42 AM
It was the first time ever I had seen an owl outside of a zoo. I loved it and love that little stuffed owl the kids got me.

No donuts tonight but I did eat some peanut butter cups.

I am finally tired and going to bed. Maybe we could come up with an owl block and do an exchange? Something simple maybe?

pcbatiks
September 14th, 2013, 03:43 AM
It was the first time ever I had seen an owl outside of a zoo. I loved it and love that little stuffed owl the kids got me.

No donuts tonight but I did eat some peanut butter cups.

I am finally tired and going to bed. Maybe we could come up with an owl block and do an exchange? Something simple maybe?

Peanut butter cups..........yummy..........Lisa, you aren't helping the hungry person!

Sew Perfect
September 14th, 2013, 03:51 AM
I love this new Geico commercial...GEICO Owl Commercial - Did You Know Some Owls Aren't That Wise? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8N2SftkPmQ) I'm sure we are all smarter than this though!

I am having hunger pangs for something sweet.

pcbatiks
September 14th, 2013, 04:02 AM
I love this new Geico commercial...GEICO Owl Commercial - Did You Know Some Owls Aren't That Wise? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8N2SftkPmQ) I'm sure we are all smarter than this though!

I am having hunger pangs for something sweet.

Hi Misa.........have you ever made a hipster purse? I want to try one........Ver Bradley has a pretty one but they are too expensive!

MayinJerset
September 14th, 2013, 04:26 AM
It's 3 o'clock in the morning and where is everyone? Hooting outside with the owls? I've never seen a real owl, not even in a zoo.

See lots of you gals have been busy playing with fabrics and even sewing. I've been cutting lots of 6 1/2 and 2 1/2 squares and 2 1/2 strips for my I Spy quilt. Need to pick up a few yards of soft yellow for sashing and borders and I'll be all set for a project to bring to retreat on Friday. Yesterday I joined the Patriotic Christmas Stocking group and cut out 3 stockings = thought I had enough patriotic fabrics to make several more but ran out of large pieces of fabrics. Think I'll sew some strips together and make my own fabric.

My eyes are getting droopy, maybe I can get some more sleep tonight. See ya, May
'

Terri
September 14th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Well, I see I missed the bulk of the action....I was not asleep at midnight, but DH had fallen asleep on the couch because my sinuses had me in bed early in the afternoon and through the evening. Finally about 2:30 am, I had enough of the tossing & turning...got up and chased DH to bed and now here I sit.

Lisa, l too love your story about the owls. My DIL LOVES owls....so when we went to Pigeon Forge last Sept, I found a small owl in one of the many pottery shops there. I bought for myself and "she" sits on my mantle....reminding me daily what a special DIL I have.....I have two others, but I won't go there.....:icon_tape:

Cindi.....I am going to adopt your idea of play time today and it's going to be quilting time. I haven't done much of anything lately, my "sewing room" (and I use that term loosely) is such a mess that I don't feel like going in there. Today I am going to look beyond the clutter & the things I am waiting one of my DS to come get out of my way and just enjoy my quilting. It's not going to be a chore or work or something I have to do.....like you did, I am just going to play for a while. Maybe that will get my creative juices flowing again. :)

We are going on a 10 day vacation beginning Wednesday, and I am the type that stresses about everything until we are actually on the road. :icon_rolleyes: Always afraid that I'm going to forget something or that something is going to happen to delay us....yes, I worry about things that haven't even happened. I am such a control freak! Tossing around the idea of taking my smaller Janome with us and supplies to work on a small project or two.....I will have plenty of free time, we are renting a cabin in the mountains.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

Terri

Sew Perfect
September 14th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Hi Misa.........have you ever made a hipster purse? I want to try one........Ver Bradley has a pretty one but they are too expensive!

Hi Pam! No, I haven't made one. I do have some patterns. Why buy Vera, when we can make our own? LOL Let's do it! What fabric are you thinking of?