PDA

View Full Version : A Little Humor

Sharyn J
September 13th, 2013, 01:23 PM
My dad got a summons for Jury Duty. He would have been 90 years old this month. I find it a little funny that they still send out summons to someone his age! Really? He passed away last November. I wonder what they'll do if he doesn't show up for Jury Duty, arrest him?

I reported his passing to the jury administrator, but I must now send proof of his passing. Gee, I never did this after my mom passed away. Wonder if she's still voting! :icon_rofl:

K. McEuen
September 13th, 2013, 01:31 PM
My sister got a jury duty summons for my brother in law that died a few years ago. I told her to run his urn of ashes down to the courthouse, sit it in the chair with the summons and tell the bailiff she'd be back to pick him up when it was all over. I don't know if she had to supply proof, I do know she called them.

Terri
September 13th, 2013, 01:38 PM
It's truly amazing how the "system" chooses those called for jury duty. Now I'm wondering if my Dad (who passed Feb 16, 2010) will be called by the state of Florida. And Oh Lord, if they called my mother!!!!! She will be 88 in January and has advancing dementia.....we know what is going to come out of her mouth or when! She might be a real hoot in a courtroom! lol

Lilly
September 14th, 2013, 12:39 AM
So Sharyn - what are they going to do if you don't send the proof. I would just admit I have enough to do and forget it. Let them find their own proof. I don't think you have any legal responsibility here.

Lisapc
September 14th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Administrative error! Administrative positions are not considered very important compared to a doctor or lawyer but they certainly run this world don't they.

Frankly I would probably have written a letter and nothing more.

Sharyn J
September 14th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Well, I had already sent an e-mail to advise them that dad won't be there. I figure that it's their job to pass on the information. Not MY job to prove his death. Let them look up the information.

Now, if you knew my dad, you'd know that he's up there chuckling right now and probably saying to himself, "I didn't want to go anyway." I just found the whole thing rather amusing, sending a 90 yr old a summons. What's next, suspend his drivers license when he doesn't renew it on time! LOL,

Sandy Navas
September 14th, 2013, 10:48 AM
An elderly Citibank MasterCard account holder died in January 2006, and Citibank billed her for February, and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and then added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00, now is somewhere around $60.00.

Her nephew placed a call to Citibank:
Nephew: "I am calling to tell you that she died in January."
Bank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."
Nephew: "Maybe, you should turn it over to collections."
Bank: "Since it is two months past due, it already has been."
Nephew: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?"
Bank: "Either report her account to the frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!"
Nephew: "Do you think God will be mad at her?"
Bank: "Excuse me?"
Nephew: "Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?"
Bank: "Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor."

Supervisor gets on the phone:
Nephew: "I'm calling to tell you, she died in January
Bank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."
Nephew: "You mean you want to collect from her estate?"
Bank: (Stammer) "Are you her lawyer?"
Nephew: "No, I'm her great nephew." (Lawyer info given)
Bank: "Could you fax us a certificate of death?"
Nephew: "Sure." (fax number is given)

After they get the fax:
Bank: "Our system just isn't set-up for death.
I don't know what more I can do to help."
Nephew: "Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care."
Bank: "Well, the late fees and charges do still apply."
Nephew: "Would you like her new billing address?"
Bank: "That might help."
Nephew: "Odessa Memorial Cemetery, Highway 129, Plot Number 69."
Bank: "Sir, that's a cemetery!"
Nephew: "What do you do with dead people on your planet?" pezmanffx

dwil23
September 14th, 2013, 01:53 PM
It's amazing how they know so many details, but miss the big information. When my Dad died at 11:17 on January 31st, Social Security wasted no time reversing his SS direct deposit from earlier that day.

And as for voter fraud - yes. That's all I will say.

alliek
September 14th, 2013, 02:01 PM
My son who has lived and worked and voted for twenty five years in Virginia was just polled for jury duty in NYState where he was born and raised, last month. I too don't know what the system is about. Very confusing.

Quilted Fantasies
September 14th, 2013, 09:23 PM
It's not just the jury duty people. We moved a little over a year ago from TN to SC. A few weeks ago I received a catalog from JC Penney. I haven't shopped there in years and have never had one of their credit cards. I checked the address to see to whom it was mailed. It had my mother-in-law's name on it with my current address. She died in 2005.

Go figure.

Judy, USMC
September 15th, 2013, 05:23 AM
I reported his passing to the jury administrator, but I must now send proof of his passing. Gee, I never did this after my mom passed away. Wonder if she's still voting! :icon_rofl:

Don't know about the suburbs ... but if you were in Chicago I would say YES ~ probably a couple of times (according to the long time joke.) BTW, I think Illinois gets their jury pool from the DMV and State ID holders.