PDA

View Full Version : Friday!

Blondie
September 13th, 2013, 06:55 AM

Hello Folksies!

Guess what day it is? And c'mon, you KNOW it ain't Wednesday. The camel stopped singing it's hump day for a few days. Naw. It's Friday the 13th. When we were kids it was a great day to overcome silly fears like a black cat crossing your path, walking under ladders, etc. What kind of stupidstitions did you hear of where you live?

Today will be a typical Friday - just loving each day that the good Lord gives me. No sewing done yesterday; just too tired after I got home. If I could just finish all the projects I start in my head - wow! I wouldn't need any coffee. lol.

Big hugs, blessings, prayers for each one here. You are all what makes the MSQC forum so special.

Oh, and in case you are needing something extra, take one of these -

SMILE!

Lisapc
September 13th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Good morning!

My mother is Italian, parents off the boat Italian. She is superstitious and is a huge believer in curses and bad luck. I'm not or didn't think I was but after being flat out yelled at my whole life if I put new shoes on the table I don't do that anymore. I do tickle babies because it doesn't really make them stutter.

It is rainy here today with mostly showers coming. I am thinking of heading to the LQS because they are having a blowout sale, jelly rolls for $19.99 and more. I really shouldn't but really want to see what I can get. Then off to get a topper for my son's new mattress and quick visit to the granddaughters. Then the grocery store and home for what is hopefully a weekend of reading, sleeping and sewing.

Wishing everyone a lucky day today!

Monique
September 13th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Good morning Blondie and all those who follow. I don't like Friday the 13th days. A friend has a birthday today. She is turning 30 and has to be the most unluckiest person I know. I do so hope she has a wonderful day for a change.

I worked on the second tote yesterday, almost done. Greg & Jersey are coming for the weekend. Greg and I are making salsa. Only 4 more sleeps to go. My wish list keeps growing.

Have a great Friday everyone, even if it is the 13th.

Bubby
September 13th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Good Morning,

Here's some good news! A study published in The Journal of Alzheimer's Disease showed that consuming 3-5 cups of coffee a day prevented progression to dementia in 100% of the study participants. This study followed 124 patients who were 65 years old and over and found that of those patients who had caffeine plasma levels of 1,200 ng/mL or greater NOT ONE progressed into dementia during the 4-year study period. Whereas, with the patients with lower caffeine plasma levels, half progressed to dementia in that time period. I told you this was GOOD news!!

I have a busy day with a possible trip to Cuba at some point. Or weather has turned off really cool. I'm itching to pull out my flannel jammies and socks!

The Girls want to eat and I have to get DH out the door to work. Wishing everyone a blessed day...Barb

MayinJerset
September 13th, 2013, 08:07 AM
I went from posting with the Night Owls straight to Blondie's Good Morning post. In between I signed up for the Christmas Stocking group and searched the internet for a stocking pattern. Found a great one on a gal's blog page that also included recipes and I spent lots of time viewing them and saving some good ones, especially soups. We had a few days of cool weather lately and I've begun thinking of tasty hearty soups - add a salad and some good bread and dinner is done. I'm going to host the next Cousins luncheon and having 2 soups nice and hot in crock pots and some salads and sandwiches sounds like a good idea.

Lisa, Just love what you said about your Mom being superstitious, didn't know the one about tickling a baby though. While my parents weren't off the boat Italians my mother always said, "No shoes on the table" and "Never put the loaf of Italian bread top down on the table" - both would bring Bad Luck! Don't remember her ever saying anything about Friday the 13th. Since my son Pat was born on a Friday the 13th I've never associated it with Bad Luck,

My grandfather believed in curses and The Evil Eye. Next door neighbor really believed in stuff like that, she was known throughout our neighborhood as The Witch as she didn't get along with anyone and was always putting curses on people. In her back yard she had mirrors facing her neighbors (supposed to reflect Bad Luck away from her house to her neighbors), brooms (don't know the significance of this) and 2 pair of horns nailed to her fence - one facing our house and the other facing the house on her other side. Hadn't thought of any of this in many years. Our suburban neighborhoods don't have all those Old Wives Tales abounding in them.

Almost forgot, our neighborhood did have a Good Witch, she was cockeye Mollie! You would go to her if you had troubles or illness and she did stuff to turn the bad stuff away. Never did believe any of the 'Good Luck" stories but did like to go to her little grocery store as in the summer she made the best lemon ice in her old fashioned ice cream maker. Tasted just like sweet lemonade and you could buy a small cup for 2 cents, sometimes you even got a few lemon pits.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 13th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Good morning! It's a sad/ happy day for me today. My SIL finally got his official written job offer for a new position in Atlanta. He got the truck all packed up and he and the dogs will be heading down to Atlanta today for their new home. My daughter, who has been down there for two weeks without her honey is so happy! Bella the boxer just jumped on my bed for one last snuggle. She'll be taking a little nappy thanks to some tranquil-cheese for breakfast. I just hope the trip goes smoothly for them. They all need to be back together, because it has been a long and rocky journey for them to get it all in place.

But Al the cat will have his house back, and I'll have lots of scratched floors nd doors to remmber thm by! Plus it will be a quick turn around for the guest room. Because my sister and her hubs will be here tomorrow night for a quick visit!

Last night, I was driving my sweet red convertible, pulled up behind a big SUV at a stoplight, he decided to back up because a bus was turning the corner and he thought he would get hit, and he rammed into me! Now I have a big trailer hitch size hole in my bumper. Happy day. Hate it.

Have a good Friday the 13th. I'm not superstitious, hope nothing bad happens to you all!

MRoy
September 13th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Good Morning! Happy Friday the 13th! I'm not really superstitious but I don't like Friday the 13th because of some bad things that happened on that day in the past.

Jean, I've been watching your new You Tube tutorials. Great job, lady!

Barb, I'm glad to hear the good news about coffee. I always knew it was good to get me going and I have at least 2 BIG mugs (probably 4 cups) every morning and sometimes one during the day.

It's really chilly here! Time for the long pants and socks. I've got to watch "The View" this morning on ABC. A former coworker submitted vacation pictures of his family's summer trip to Disney World and he was notified yesterday that some of them will be shown on today's show. He's hoping they'll show pictures of his adopted son, Samuel. I already have the TV on ABC so I don't forget.

Happy Friday (13th or not)!!

cyndiofthevortex
September 13th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Good morning, everyone. Jean, I'm so sorry about your car! I know you're not the swearing type, but if there was ever a time to swear, that was it. I guess it's not too late since you can still go out and look at that mangled bumper.

I have a doc appointment this am for a recheck on some new meds I'm taking. I suffer terribly from migraines. It's hard to function and I can't work because of it. I'm just on a new daily drug to stop them and guess what? I've only had a few this month. A huge improvement! I'm so happy about it. Now as long as it hasn't elevated my bp I can stay on it. I'm not at all superstitious but if I was I'd be asking you all to cross your fingers for me!

ilive2craft2
September 13th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Good morning all! Took today off work and planned to sleep late, didn't happen-have been up and down all night with leg cramps. Walking helped some, Gatorade seemed to help, but then woke up with the worst ones yet. Such a stupid little thing, but they sure do interrupt sleep. Guess I will go get some bananas this morning and see if that helps.

I couldn't take the construction zone that we call a home anymore, so I went to the family lake house last night - no dust, no tools, no furniture moved all over, just peace and quiet. It has been good for my soul so far. Construction is moving along--we now have cabinets and countertops, so I think we are nearing the end--it all just takes longer than anticipated.

Mom is not falling as much and I think has mostly recovered from all of her falls. We are just having to realize we are in a different mode of life and that she may not improve a bunch--just need her to be as independent and happy as she can be.

Since I am up, I may get around and go to the LQS over here--fabric shopping is good for the soul. I was too tired last night to pack any of my sewing projects and all of the tools to work on them. Someday I hope to have a sewing machine and some tools here so I don't have to pack anything other than the fabric--I love to dream anyway!

Happy Friday the 13th. I no longer consider the 13th unlucky, since my son was born on the 13th--it was a Thursday that year

Terri
September 13th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Oh Cyndi, I feel your pain. Have had trouble with migraines for years.....no fun. I was on Topamax daily for a while and it seemed to be working, but when neurologist upped the dose.....my hair started falling out! I looked up the side effects and hair loss one among them. Told the doc that I would not continue the larger dose, because of my hair falling out. His response was "That shouldn't be the cause.....if so, you're the 2nd patient I've have in 12 yrs with that happen." Well, let me introduce you to patient #2! As soon as, I stopped that med & he put me on something else my hair stopped falling out and it came back. Doctors do not know everything....DH says that's why they call it "practicing" medicine. :) Hope you continue to improve.

Good morning, everyone. Jean, I'm so sorry about your car! I know you're not the swearing type, but if there was ever a time to swear, that was it. I guess it's not too late since you can still go out and look at that mangled bumper.

I have a doc appointment this am for a recheck on some new meds I'm taking. I suffer terribly from migraines. It's hard to function and I can't work because of it. I'm just on a new daily drug to stop them and guess what? I've only had a few this month. A huge improvement! I'm so happy about it. Now as long as it hasn't elevated my bp I can stay on it. I'm not at all superstitious but if I was I'd be asking you all to cross your fingers for me!

Lisapc
September 13th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I went from posting with the Night Owls straight to Blondie's Good Morning post. In between I signed up for the Christmas Stocking group and searched the internet for a stocking pattern. Found a great one on a gal's blog page that also included recipes and I spent lots of time viewing them and saving some good ones, especially soups. We had a few days of cool weather lately and I've begun thinking of tasty hearty soups - add a salad and some good bread and dinner is done. I'm going to host the next Cousins luncheon and having 2 soups nice and hot in crock pots and some salads and sandwiches sounds like a good idea.

Lisa, Just love what you said about your Mom being superstitious, didn't know the one about tickling a baby though. While my parents weren't off the boat Italians my mother always said, "No shoes on the table" and "Never put the loaf of Italian bread top down on the table" - both would bring Bad Luck! Don't remember her ever saying anything about Friday the 13th. Since my son Pat was born on a Friday the 13th I've never associated it with Bad Luck,

My grandfather believed in curses and The Evil Eye. Next door neighbor really believed in stuff like that, she was known throughout our neighborhood as The Witch as she didn't get along with anyone and was always putting curses on people. In her back yard she had mirrors facing her neighbors (supposed to reflect Bad Luck away from her house to her neighbors), brooms (don't know the significance of this) and 2 pair of horns nailed to her fence - one facing our house and the other facing the house on her other side. Hadn't thought of any of this in many years. Our suburban neighborhoods don't have all those Old Wives Tales abounding in them.

Almost forgot, our neighborhood did have a Good Witch, she was cockeye Mollie! You would go to her if you had troubles or illness and she did stuff to turn the bad stuff away. Never did believe any of the 'Good Luck" stories but did like to go to her little grocery store as in the summer she made the best lemon ice in her old fashioned ice cream maker. Tasted just like sweet lemonade and you could buy a small cup for 2 cents, sometimes you even got a few lemon pits.

My mother would have forced my Dad to sell the house and move with a neighbor like that. She is really bad like that.

Mpyles
September 13th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Good morning all,

Barb, I heard in the news it was in the 50s over in Salem. Chilly here at 62! I find the coffee news uplifting as I drink it day and night!! Yay!!

May, enjoyed your stories, that would have definitely creeped me out as a kid!! I think one if things I miss most of my dad is all his stories....he could tell the craziest stories from his youth! So thank you May!! Tell us more!!!

Cyndi...I am so sympathetic of your migraines. I had one earlier this week that was quite the doozy. I don't get them often, and most times they are mild...but when I have a bad one I certainly feel for those who suffer with them routinely.

Blondie...I just think the world of your morning post! Thanks for being you!!

Well ladies the last 3 days of my staycation are ticking by....gonna go motivate!!

Everyone have a great day!!

MayinJerset
September 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Lisapc;381155]My mother would have forced my Dad to sell the house and move with a neighbor like that. She is really bad like that.[/QUOTE

That's what I suggested many times but there were 2 obstacles, house we lived in was owned by my grandfather (father's father) and my parents couldn't afford to rent as if anyone would rent to a family with 7 kids. 2nd obstacle, my father loved the back and forth fighting with this neighor. Later years when it was just the 2 of them I suggested they move but father didn't want her - the Witch- to say she ran them out of the neighborhood. Who would have cared as everyone we knew had already moved away because the neighborhood was in a decline. Ah, the good old days growing up working class Italian in Brooklyn, everyone thinks Italians have happy lives singing opera songs while making meatballs and macaroni. Not so.

Happy to say that over the years our old Park Slope neighborhood has been gentrified and looks great. Even tree in the sidewalk in front of our house is thriving, guess the Witch's curses died when she did. Rode through there area recently and it seems that you have to be under 50, carry a back pack or riding a bike (wearing your helmet) while shopping at all the upscale little shops or eating at the trendy cafes and restaurants along the avenues.

CrazyMtnLady
September 13th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Good morning to everyone. Happy Friday the 13th. My Mom was a bit superstitious. No shoes on a table! A bird hitting the window or a bird flying in the house were her 3 main ones. I am not really superstitious although those 3 do still enter my mind now and then.

DH is still in Michigan. I can't believe he has only been home 2 weeks since the end of April! I am beginning to feel like I've been abandoned. He is having a hard time deciding what to keep and what to leave or give away. I feel so sorry for him. He says he will put something in the leave/give away pile and then have regrets and take it back out. I just wish he would come home.

Glad to hear coffee may be good for me. I'm only on my 3rd cup. :)
It is cooling off today and will be raining for a few days starting on Sunday. I may have to get outside later today and try to get some things done I have put off due to the heat. I have gotten a lot done though, just took a lot of water breaks to cool off.

Just looked up at the security camera because I got movement out of the corner of my eye and there is a doe walking in front of the camera in the pasture. Cool.

Hope everyone in our circle that lives in Colorado is safe from all the flooding.

Hugs and prayers to all.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 13th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Good Morning! Happy Friday the 13th! I'm not really superstitious but I don't like Friday the 13th because of some bad things that happened on that day in the past.

Jean, I've been watching your new You Tube tutorials. Great job, lady!

Barb, I'm glad to hear the good news about coffee. I always knew it was good to get me going and I have at least 2 BIG mugs (probably 4 cups) every morning and sometimes one during the day.

It's really chilly here! Time for the long pants and socks. I've got to watch "The View" this morning on ABC. A former coworker submitted vacation pictures of his family's summer trip to Disney World and he was notified yesterday that some of them will be shown on today's show. He's hoping they'll show pictures of his adopted son, Samuel. I already have the TV on ABC so I don't forget.

Happy Friday (13th or not)!!thanks, Myrna! You're message alerted me that it had finished downloading! With the format I am using and my DSL it takes hours to upload! I had to leave a go to work and it was still downloading, your message let me know it was ready! You were my first viewer! Hope you didn't give me a dislike! The series isn't finished, becausethe quilt isn't finished, and I use a Flip Camera, it is so small, I've lost it in the craziness of my fabric strewn house, dogs, relatives, costumes, grandkids! I need it to video the last part of making the quilt! The tutorial is for my sister who asked for it to help her dabble into the quilting world, designed after one we saw at the Sisters Outdoor Quilt show!

cyndiofthevortex
September 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM
My doc appointment went very well and they are going to keep me on the news meds, for which I am very thankful! My only complaint is that my regular doc just left and I had to see someone new and he was VERY chatty. Took over an hour to have a simple check up. I don't need to hear about his iphone apps! Thanks to anyone who crossed their fingers and knocked on wood for me. Happy Friday the 13th!

auntiemern
September 13th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Good day all. Today is a day. Taking Bubby to his 4 yr checkup this afternoon, and gonna try again to get hubs fish quilt done before he leaves today. Wishing everyone a great day.

Cathy F
September 13th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Here's two more for you-
When riding in a car and crossing over a railroadtrack make sure to lift your feet off the floor.

When driving cross a bridge be sure to hold your nose.

Don't know who comes up with these, but we get a good laugh out of doing them!

bdmsmith
September 13th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Hello everyone and Happy Friday the 13th! I would say I'm not superstitious but I am aware of all the things 'not' to do and they do at least cross my mind.

I love Fridays because ever since the beginning of the year my husband and I have a standing date for dinner with my dad/stepmom on Fridays at 5pm. It actually started in January and my husband and I would go out on Fridays to Applebees for an appetizer and drink. My boys are 16, 19, 22 and none of them ever want to go out with us anymore (when they were little they always went with us wherever we went)---now they just say 'No I don't want to go, but bring me back.....'. Our Friday night journeys started because early last December my husband's cousins 7 mos old was picked up from the babysitter, she wasn't acting right (throwing up and acted dazed) so they took her to ER then flew her to Rileys childrens hospital.....she was diagnosed with shaken baby syndrome and had a swollen brain and hemmorage behind her right eye. She was only at Rileys childrens hospital for 3 days and we wasnt even informed until the 2nd day of her being in there and I can tell you I cried and cried the day I found out because I just couldnt image how someone could do that and I was so scared for that little girl. When it was time for her to be released from the hospital CPS showed up and they woudnt allow them to take her home so she would have to go to foster care unless they had a family member willing to take her while they did the investigation to determine for sure what happened to her. We were called at 5pm the day of her release and asked by her father to take her so we had to rush with my oldest 2 boys to CPS in order to fill out all the paperwork and do background checks on all of us. (the maternal grandpa had been in prison years ago so he wasn't allowed by CPS, the maternal grandma didnt even raise her own kids, the paternal grandma had nothing to do with them and the paternal grandpa (my husbands uncle) has Muscular Dystrophy---on my husband's side of the family, his dad and all his uncles, about 8 boys have MD). The parents asked us to do it and we was delighted to have her in our home---but nervous since our youngest was 16 at the time so the baby stuff was going to be all new to us. The family was in Indy 2 1/2 hours away so my husband went to their house as well and got their crib, clothes and other items that the dad asked us to get so the baby was comfortable when she arrived.

At the time all this was going on I was a regional manager for a property management company and traveled 2-3 days per week. At the beginning of Jan the parents were allowed to take the baby home with them for supervised visits and one of the visits was on Friday evenings.........so very long story but that's how my husband and I started going out for just a bit on Friday nights. Unfortunately also during this time there was an upper management change at my work at that time and the new requirement was for us to be on our properties for 4-5 days per week which meant that I would be staying overnight a lot more and would be at work more than at home. Given the circumstances with the baby and the fact that my husband worked and the parents absolutely didnt want us to get a babysitter due to the situation, I ended up resigning my position on 1/11 of this year because someone had to be home to take care of her. The mother would stay with me a lot of the time because as long as myself, my husband, or one of my adults boys were here then the parents could be here. Then, in March of this year the parents went to another court hearing and they were given custody of their girl back.......NOTHING was ever done to the babysitter.
Here is a pic of her at Christmas with my dad---she got 4 Christmases last year, 1 at my moms, 1 at my dads, 1 at our house with my boys, and 1 at our house where her parents, sister & some of their family came over because at that time only 3 weeks after we got her they were only allowed to visit at our house.

So my husband and I kept our Friday night date night and always ask the boys to go but they always say no. My dad/stepmom started joining us later in January and we go to a different place every week....tonight is Ponderosa.

Again, sorry for the long rant. I think it's starting to bother me a bit that I am not working because I've always had 1 or 2 jobs and had been used to working 60-70 hrs/week in management but under the circumstances at the time I had to do what I did. It is so much harder to find a job when you are unemployed then if you were working....I never had troubles when I was working finding something different or even a part time job to go along with my full time job. My husband tells me to enjoy the time off while I can because he knows in my line of work I tend to work long hours. At this point everyone in my house works but me....my husband works FT, my 22 yr old works FT at a hospital as an IT tech and takes full time online courses for computers, my 19 year old goes to college full time and work part time, and even my 16 year old is in HS and work part time. I guess it's giving me a complex.

On the little girl, Adalynn that I had, she's doing great and I've got to babysit her a couple times since she went back to her parents. They only live 10 minutes away so we visit often. As far as we've been told there are no long term damages. The mother doesn't work now because she can't bear to put her in daycare. I love watching her growup and compare pics that I took when she was with us to pics her mom puts on FB and it's amazing how much she's grown......it's almost like I have a 4th child.
Here is a pic of her in March of this year---they day I got the call from the courthouse saying she was allowed to go home. I packed up her stuff and put her in a nice outfit so she looked beautiful when her parents came for her.
Sorry again for the long post, for some reason today I'm reflecting on a lot....my lack of a job, watching finances, and of course missing my little girl.

Madeforyouinma11
September 13th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Hello everyone... I'm not superstitious, but I do think about all those things as a kid..lol the big one then, cause we walked everywhere, was Step on a crack and you'll break your mothers back...so silly. :)
I heard about the coffee thing too and was excited cause I drink it day and night.
Cyndi, I'm glad you can stay on the meds and hope your headaches go away completely.
Teresa, that is a very beautiful story. You should be proud of what you did for that little girl. If you want to go back to work, something will come along when the time is right. For now, do like hubby said and enjoy your time off. Sew, cook, read, do whatever you enjoy but never have time to do.
Weather is 74 degrees, which would be beautiful, but the humidity is 82%, which is making it pretty yucky. Still have the AC on. We had it off for a few days but had to turn them back on a couple days ago.
Well, hubby is going to work some overtime tonight so I am going to do some sewing and maybe do a little cleaning...in my sewing room...the rest of the house can wait til tomorrow. Lol
Hope everyone has a great day!

Iris Girl
September 13th, 2013, 05:46 PM
I am not really superstititous but my mom had lots of sayings. drop a spoon a baby will visit, knife, man will visit and if you drop a fork a lady will visit. An unexpected shiver meant someone was walking on your grave. don't open an umbrella in the house. If a black cat crosses your path its bad luck. Don't walk under a ladder. 7 years bad luck if you break a mirror. penny heads up is good luck to pick up, tails up leave it lay. knock on wood for continued good luck. Itchy palms means your gonna get money. Itchy feet meant you would tread on strange land.

She had so many.

janluna
September 13th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Iris, it must be a NY thing, as my family also repeated all those same superstitions! lol Thank you everyone for prayers being said for me. I really appreciate them! I will be on more as soon as I can. I did have a visit to Joann's yesterday. Yay, I found fabric for two purses I will be making as soon as the doc says I can sew. As tiring as the trip to the store was, it was great to get out for a few minutes. My friend Chris drove, as I can't do that yet either.
Sandy, my prayers are with you! Get better soon, darlin girl!
Love you all, and miss you all as well. We say prayers everyday for all of the forum participants.
Hopefully, they will let me start therapy soon. Physical, not mental, although,if I have to not move or use my left arm, they will have to add mental therapy to the list as well. lol
Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.