PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Night Owls

cyndiofthevortex
September 12th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Hi Night Owls! I hope I find you all well and happy and not too frustrated at being awake in the middle of the night. Maybe you'll learn something new that you'd never be able to hear during the day with all of its distractions. You might if you're open to it. Turn off that tv and open a quilt book or magazine and just browse through it. Soak up the beauty that others have discovered in their work. Enjoy your art!

I'm very much enjoying the book "15 Minutes of Play." Victoria Findlay Wolfe makes fabric collages, then cuts the fabric up to use in traditional blocks. I may or may not ever do this myself, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have some great lessons for me to learn. I like to take from this source and that and incorporate all different ideas into my quiltmaking.

Here's another little tidbit from her book about play: "Play is different for everyone. Even though we are adults, we all still have that childlike sense of what play is. Whether you are a new or a seasoned quilter, there is always room for play - to reconnect to the curiosity you had as a child."

"As a creative person, I have found that I must create every day. Sometimes it is difficult to find the time to sit and sew every day, but if I make it a habit to carve out 15 minutes each day for creative exploration through play, I have accomplished my goal."

One of my habits as a grandmother is to write down the interesting things my DGKs say, to keep them as a family memory. It's their innocence and creative thinking that draws me in and amazes me. Oh, to think like a child again! How wonderful would that be, as all the world is full of wonder to a child. What if we each carve out 15 minutes of time to play with fabric, to just enjoy it and immerse ourselves in it, would we recapture some of that wonder? I'm putting it on my list of things to do each day, before clean the kitchen and make the beds. I'll let you know how I do. How about you? Want to join me in a quilting adventure? Can you come out to play?

Jean Sewing Machine
September 12th, 2013, 01:35 AM
I love to play! Only realized how much since I've retired from teaching!

Lisapc
September 12th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Every day if I don't take even 5 minutes to sit and "play" I am just not me. That can mean writing, reading, dreaming up a design or project of any sort. I love to look through quilting magazines when I am waiting for the school bus in the afternoons. I love to sit on the floor of my sewing room and just put different fabrics together. I love my kids but one thing I always enjoyed with my daughter and now still do with my son and granddaughters is playing and being silly with them and creating. No matter what it is.

I am horrible at keeping my own schedule. I keep everyone else's but my own is harder for me. Just like my gratitude journal. I name 5 things I am grateful for every day but never write them down. Maybe I should focus on my own schedule and if I put play on there maybe I will play more with quilting. Get me out of my safe box which is where I feel like I am right now.

easyquilts
September 12th, 2013, 01:49 AM
I'm here....in. Bed, but obviously not sleeping.

I worked on my little pinwhees,made from charms, Jenny's way. I think they are going to be cute...

Why do I suddenly want to play with my fabrics, when it is time for bed?

A mystery...

Mchelem
September 12th, 2013, 01:55 AM
I'm here....in. Bed, but obviously not sleeping.

I worked on my little pinwhees,made from charms, Jenny's way. I think they are going to be cute...

Why do I suddenly want to play with my fabrics, when it is time for bed?

A mystery...
Lol, last night I played til 3:30 am. I do my best work late at night when there's no phones or husbands or sons needing me to get this, do that, answer a million questions....

Granny Judy
September 12th, 2013, 02:01 AM
I just finished a Play time.. working on a quilt. Just took some fabric and started cutting and sewing. Working out my idea as I went along. Next thing I know it is Midnight and I have just realized how tired I am.

During the day I find I need frequent breaks to let my back rest.. it gets to hurting right between the shoulders as I fold clothes, cook (stirring the pot) or reach up over my head for stuff. I then have to sit down and stretch out those muscles. I'll often get side tracked with an idea or looking thru a magazine (quilting of course). I have mags scattered all around the place....?? Maybe I have too much "free" time to Play and forget to finish cleaning up all those scattered "toys". LOL. But Life is Good.

Sew Perfect
September 12th, 2013, 02:07 AM
I love playing so much I hardly get anything done!

Here's a question for you? If your best friend, who is also a travel agent, called you and woke you up only to tell you she has been able to get a FREE cruise and can take a friend for FREE, would you go if she asked you? (Was that a long sentence, or what?) Well, I said no to my friend. Can you believe it? NO! Later on, I called her and told her that I had this dream...she says, "Misa, it wasn't a dream. You actually told me NO, so I'm taking my daughter." Haha...funny. It really is bad timing right now. Maybe, next time. It was just too last minute this time. I have other things going on right now.

That reminds me of another time. I ran my own childcare out of my home. My sister was traveling for her job all the time, so she gives me this call about a trip to Hawaii she had to go on. Guess what happened there? You guessed it! She wanted me to go...FREE ...and, guess what I told her? I couldn't go! I am kicking myself to this day! Never fear, I got to go to Laguna Beach, CA. with her a few weeks after!

Well, that's my exciting story for the night. I ended up not buying last night's dd. It just wasn't something I had to have. I haven't seen tonight's yet, but I will probably pass on it too.

I think I'm going to try to sew for a bit more tonight. I will most likely check back because I love all the night owl posts.

toggpine
September 12th, 2013, 02:23 AM
No sewing play for the next few days. I have things to get ready for our state fair. I help with the FFA & 4-H programs and we are going to take a few of our goats for the first time in about 5 years.
We went and picked the last load of orchard grass hay out of the field today. According to the thermometer on the rear view mirror of the truck it was 111 out in that field. We have all taken a shower and are heading for bed with all of the windows open and ceiling fans running.
Tomorrow is fair day! I'm taking my daughter and brother to the fair. They will go do the rides and I will get to go look at all of the stuff that no one else wants to go see. QUILTS!!! My brother (39) is about as excited as Em about going on the rides.

take care and I'll see ya all tomorrow!

Mchelem
September 12th, 2013, 02:43 AM
I'm hungry. Who has snacks???

cyndiofthevortex
September 12th, 2013, 02:57 AM
I hate to rub it in your faces, again, but I just ate the last of the powdered-sugar donuts. With a tall, cold glass of whole milk.

It was yummy, if you want to know. Though they are a bit messy. But who cares about a little white powder on your nightgown when they are so delicious? Not me.

bkthomas
September 12th, 2013, 03:00 AM
I had chocolate!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha haha

bkthomas
September 12th, 2013, 03:04 AM
I love playing so much I hardly get anything done!

Here's a question for you? If your best friend, who is also a travel agent, called you and woke you up only to tell you she has been able to get a FREE cruise and can take a friend for FREE, would you go if she asked you? (Was that a long sentence, or what?) Well, I said no to my friend. Can you believe it? NO! Later on, I called her and told her that I had this dream...she says, "Misa, it wasn't a dream. You actually told me NO, so I'm taking my daughter." Haha...funny. It really is bad timing right now. Maybe, next time. It was just too last minute this time. I have other things going on right now.

That reminds me of another time. I ran my own childcare out of my home. My sister was traveling for her job all the time, so she gives me this call about a trip to Hawaii she had to go on. Guess what happened there? You guessed it! She wanted me to go...FREE ...and, guess what I told her? I couldn't go! I am kicking myself to this day! Never fear, I got to go to Laguna Beach, CA. with her a few weeks after!

Well, that's my exciting story for the night. I ended up not buying last night's dd. It just wasn't something I had to have. I haven't seen tonight's yet, but I will probably pass on it too.

I think I'm going to try to sew for a bit more tonight. I will most likely check back because I love all the night owl posts.

I would've gone in a heartbeat!!! Two trips Misa! Ya killin' me!!!
Oh, the pain.....you poor baby!

Mchelem
September 12th, 2013, 03:04 AM
I have stuff in the kitchen, but the dogs will bark and give me away!

turena65
September 12th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Hello night owl friends....

Today I needed a distraction from all this 9-11 sadness. I had a wonderful 2 hour lunch visit and many laughs with my friends at the LQS... it was a good time indeed.

The tragedy that happened 12 years ago wasn't the only reason I have a severe dislike for this date. Six years ago my (at the time) perfect 9 year old daughter became permanently paralyzed on 9/11/2007. We remember this date every year as her "anniversary" date. Not as a negative, on the contrary actually. Today we celebrate her resilience in the face of uncertainty, her strength, and her indominable spirit despite the challenges she has been faced with. 9/11 isn't the worst day it could happen, it's the perfect day actually.... she has overcome adversity and will continue to for the rest of her life! She is 15 years young now, and has been through more than most people do in a life time. She is, and continues to be, one of the strongest, smartest, most wonderful people I know and I am proud to call her my daughter.

Today I received the two Catalina charms I bought last week on the DD, and I've been trying to decide what fantastic, beautiful and fun quilt I should make with them. I tend to over think things and I have about 6 different patterns I would like to do... I just can't seem to narrow it down. Any suggestions? Or, has anyone used the Catalina in a specific pattern that turned out amazing?

Have a wonderful night friends....I hope you all get some sleep at some point tonight!

Turena

HdWench
September 12th, 2013, 03:11 AM
:icon_rolleyes: I can't play with you all right now. Truth be told I play almost every night, but a few nights ago at 2 am my neck went into spasm... by 4 am I had tingles down my arms AND my legs (the legs part was new ), so to the ER I went ... what I get for playing all night every night! Tonight it's only 1 am and I've taken my night meds to sleep instead of play

I spent most of last night reflecting on living in NYC during 9/11 and another tragedy 1 year prior. Those thoughts stayed with me all day, the sheer horror of it all... ok shaking it back off! We are lucky we survived and I will pray and count blessings as I head for bed tonight.

Love this night-owl idea I'll be back at it ASAP!!!

ohhh I had dill pickle chips and a candy bar :-) sour and sweet yummmmmmmmm

Mchelem
September 12th, 2013, 03:14 AM
That's its..... I'm sneaking into the kitchen and bribing the dogs with treats so they won't bark and I can find something for me to eat.

Chocolate and donuts and milk and chips and such. Y'all just aren't nice!

Musical_Starling
September 12th, 2013, 03:16 AM
That's its..... I'm sneaking into the kitchen and bribing the dogs with treats so they won't bark and I can find something for me to eat.

Tell me about it! I'm just recovering from a bad stomach bug, so dairy and junk is not allowed in my vocabulary for another few days. Mean, mean, mean ladies! lol

bkthomas
September 12th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Turena, I admire your positive attitude!!! What is her name?

Have you done a falling charms yet? I haven't.....of course you can't go wrong with a Dresden....naturally that is what I would say! Pinwheels done with charm packs sounds cute too though! Whatever you do, have fun with it!

bkthomas
September 12th, 2013, 03:19 AM

Sorry, one of my DGD's are selling chocolate bars for a fundraiser - Well, I just had to help out, right?!!!

turena65
September 12th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Turena, I admire your positive attitude!!! What is her name?

Have you done a falling charms yet? I haven't.....of course you can't go wrong with a Dresden....naturally that is what I would say! Pinwheels done with charm packs sounds cute too though! Whatever you do, have fun with it!

Kathy... my daughter's name is Natalie. She is a paraplegic (paralyzed from the waist down) and has the most wonderful friends who have known her their whole lives so to them, she isn't the girl in the wheelchair, she is just Natalie. I love that about them.

Yes, falling charms is one of the ones I am considering doing. I love the look of a Dresden, dying to make one, but it would be a pretty tiny Dresden if I used charm packs instead of a layer cake, wouldn't it? Hmmm... I didn't think about a pinwheel. It's such a bold, bright print and I love the red/white/blue colors in it. Decisions, decisions....

Thank you!

bkthomas
September 12th, 2013, 03:34 AM
5" blades would make a 12.5" block, but do what appeals to you!

Sheena
September 12th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Turena - I'm happy to hear your daughter is doing so well.

Pinwheels with charms does work out really well. I was so pleased with mine I immediately started another. I'll post a piccie in the near future of the finished quilt. It's resting over the balustrade upstairs at the moment.

Kathycrofoot has done a lovely D9P using pinwheels and it was so lovely I've copied it. You can find it in her gallery pictures. I had only a small amount of the dark floral pattern, in fact only just enough to make the pinwheels and use a charm for the centre of the 9patch.
These are piccies of my first pinwheel quilt, unfinished.

These are my second pinwheel quilt, unquilted.

Hulamoon
September 12th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Well my day didn't go as planned. I was going to go stack and wack class but had a hic up with my car. They have them all the time though so I'm not to bummed.

Turena I didn't watch to much today but that is heartbreaking you have to share that date (((hugs)))

Funny thing just happened. I went to a little store up the street and a herd of goats were loose. I stopped because they were right in front of me. A woman was taking a picture from inside her car. I asked her to call 911. She said she didn't know what to do. I have almost run into a cow on the highway and had a horse in our yard. I tied up the horse. So anyway there was about 15 goats, (and this is in the dark) criss crossing the street. They managed to get into a neighbors yard that had some wire fencing. When I came back some neighbors took watch on them and had the ranchers number. Exciting times. lol

Sew Perfect
September 12th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Hello night owl friends....

Today I needed a distraction from all this 9-11 sadness. I had a wonderful 2 hour lunch visit and many laughs with my friends at the LQS... it was a good time indeed.

The tragedy that happened 12 years ago wasn't the only reason I have a severe dislike for this date. Six years ago my (at the time) perfect 9 year old daughter became permanently paralyzed on 9/11/2007. We remember this date every year as her "anniversary" date. Not as a negative, on the contrary actually. Today we celebrate her resilience in the face of uncertainty, her strength, and her indominable spirit despite the challenges she has been faced with. 9/11 isn't the worst day it could happen, it's the perfect day actually.... she has overcome adversity and will continue to for the rest of her life! She is 15 years young now, and has been through more than most people do in a life time. She is, and continues to be, one of the strongest, smartest, most wonderful people I know and I am proud to call her my daughter.

Today I received the two Catalina charms I bought last week on the DD, and I've been trying to decide what fantastic, beautiful and fun quilt I should make with them. I tend to over think things and I have about 6 different patterns I would like to do... I just can't seem to narrow it down. Any suggestions? Or, has anyone used the Catalina in a specific pattern that turned out amazing?

Have a wonderful night friends....I hope you all get some sleep at some point tonight!

Turena

Turena, you're daughter is so brave and her friends are so good. Thank you for opening up to us with something so personal.

Although, the donuts sound so good, I think I did pretty good with homemade german chocolate cake. It was so good tonight with my coffee! Maybe that's why I'm still awake as we speak!

turena65
September 12th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Kathy.... yes, it would be a good sized block wouldn't it? Yikes! I can't imagine how big one would be from a layer cake then! Sheena, your quilt is amazing! A D9P using pinwheels? What a great idea! Lorie, I was just laughing to myself reading your encounter with the goats.. I'm sure glad no one was hurt, but I couldn't help but think all these jokes in my mind about "why did the goats cross the road?"...lol... sorry, i'm so tired i'm just feeling kind of rummy right now... :)

Sew Perfect
September 12th, 2013, 04:00 AM
Turena, forgot to mention that I also bought 2 of the Catelina charms last week. My first thought was to also make the falling charms quilt. I think those blocks would make a pretty quilt.

Sew Perfect
September 12th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Turena - I'm happy to hear your daughter is doing so well.

Pinwheels with charms does work out really well. I was so pleased with mine I immediately started another. I'll post a piccie in the near future of the finished quilt. It's resting over the balustrade upstairs at the moment.

Kathycrofoot has done a lovely D9P using pinwheels and it was so lovely I've copied it. You can find it in her gallery pictures. I had only a small amount of the dark floral pattern, in fact only just enough to make the pinwheels and use a charm for the centre of the 9patch.
These are piccies of my first pinwheel quilt, unfinished.

These are my second pinwheel quilt, unquilted.

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!

Cathy F
September 12th, 2013, 04:16 AM
OK guys, you're making me hungry, donuts, chocolate. I have a Dr's appt in the morning and have to be fasting for blood work or I would sooooo be in the kitchen right now :) it's 3:15 and I'm awake again, guess I'all read for a while.

Hulamoon
September 12th, 2013, 04:47 AM
something to read :)

What Successful Night Owls Get Done Before Bed | Fast Company | Business + Innovation (http://www.fastcompany.com/3000732/what-successful-night-owls-get-done-bed)

Quilted Fantasies
September 12th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Good morning!

This is my first visit to the after-hours club, although I have gotten a kick out of reading your antics/posts. I sleep much better since I retired but it wasn't in the cards for me tonight.

Play. I love it! I had so much fun yesterday finishing the fidgit quilt and working on a coffee table topper for my sister. She called yesterday and gave me the dimensions she wanted/needed. 39 7/8 by 21 5/8. She is so funny! I told her I would try to get close but quilting always shrinks tops a little. She actually sounded a little panicked when she asked me if the ratios would be the same. I told her I didn't know. I got it finished except the borders and then I emailed her and asked her to stop by on the way home and give me some input. Since it's going to be on her coffee table I want to make sure it's something she loves. I can either do more of the dragonfly fabric or just border with more green charms, then trim to her specifications. I can also trim the inner borders some. It now measures 37" x 14" What do you think?55649

Sheena, I always thought pinwheels were boring. Until I saw your quilt. Oh.my. How beautiful! I love it love it love it!

MayinJerset
September 12th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Didn't join the night owls on line last night as I was playing with fabric, cutting 6 1/2 squares for the I Spy quilt I want to make for my 2 great grandsons and their dad. It will have toys, vehicles, food, animals and lots of sports squares as the boy's dad is a huge sports fan. After playing until 2:30 I went to stretch my legs and back out on the couch and promptly fell asleep until almost 7am. Couch is so comfy with soft leather cushions wherever I put myself. Did raid the kitchen before going to the couch, not much to eat but some frozen waffles, toasted 2, they tasted OK but not as good as some donuts would have.

Truena, Kudos to Natalie for being so courageous.

WendyI
September 12th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Well I'm glad I found this new Night Owl thing! Might actually find my way in here a bit more often. Doc tells me I'm menopausal and that's why insomnia and inability to sleep has been happening occasionally...so y'all might just see me in here! LOL!

Mchelem
September 13th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Well I'm glad I found this new Night Owl thing! Might actually find my way in here a bit more often. Doc tells me I'm menopausal and that's why insomnia and inability to sleep has been happening occasionally...so y'all might just see me in here! LOL!
Oh I swear to bob, don't say that!! I'm about to have a hysterectomy, and I already have insomnia-I can't imagine menopause making it worse!! I'll never sleep.