PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever go to the movies by yourself?

Hulamoon
September 11th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Sometimes I just want to go and don't have someone to go with. Do you feel uncomfortable? My aunt went out to dinner by herself almost every day. She was a single older gal that didn't cook. She made really good friends with a waitress. When my aunt passed I gave her something of my aunts along with a picture. She was thankful and said I just loved that woman. Tears here.

I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone like she did. So food shopping doesn't count in this question so movies and eating out?

Jean Sewing Machine
September 11th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I often eat out alone and hate it. I never go to the movies alone. I see kiddie movies with my grandkids, and grown up movies with my friends.

bubba
September 11th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I never do either alone. If my husband is out of town and I want to eat someplace, I go pick it up and bring it home and eat it. I ate once at a food court in California by myself, and I didn't even like that!

Pandabear
September 11th, 2013, 04:43 PM
I go to the movies by myself. Only during the day though. There are movies that I want to see that my husband and son do not. It's not a big deal for me. I get my popcorn, I can sit anywhere I want, I can read my book until the movie starts and best of all.. I don't have to make conversation!

Eating alone.. not something I do. But when I have to, I have a book to keep me company.

kelliedi
September 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I do go to the movies by myself when i can, keep in mind i have younger kids and sometimes the movie i want to see is not correct for them to watch.

kensington
September 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Well, being a military wife, with grown kids, I must confess, I have eaten out and gone to the movies too. I don't mind it... it takes a bit to get used to. More fun than staying home watching TV. I also try to go to the movie time before dark... like early evening. A lot of people are there alone, I see them all over.

I enjoy to eat out alone from time to time, to think, have no conversation, to play in my planner or write. I can text or read Fb without being rude to another diner. And I always get to pick to restaurant! It doesn't bother me at all.

easyquilts
September 11th, 2013, 04:47 PM
It never occurs to me to see a movie alone.... Besides, it takes a REALLY GOOD MOVIE to get me to pay, when I have Netflix, Lifetime, etc., on my iPad. If I go at all, it is with my grandsons, to see something they want to see.

I never eat out alone, either.... If I am alone, I just pick whatever up, and eat in the comfort of my favorite chair.

kensington
September 11th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I never do either alone. If my husband is out of town and I want to eat someplace, I go pick it up and bring it home and eat it. I ate once at a food court in California by myself, and I didn't even like that!

Foodcourt!! That means "People Watching"... love to do that! LOL.

Bubby
September 11th, 2013, 04:54 PM
If there was a theater around here I might go alone once in a while. About 20 years ago I lived in the next town over and there was a small movie theater that was open Friday, Saturday and Tuesday evenings. You went in and a very nice lady sold you a ticket; the same lady ran over to the snack bar and sold you popcorn, sundaes, milkshakes; and after everyone was seated (usually less than a dozen or so) she would climb the steps to the projection room and turn on the movie. This was a one-person operation, but it was so nice and friendly. Tickets cost $2 on Tuesday and $3 on weekends and she always had the latest movies!

We have a great tea room in our town and I would be comfortable eating there alone. 'Alone' has a different definition when you live in a small town. I know everyone and they know me. Most likely I would be invited to join another table or at the very least we would visit from our own tables!

One of the joys of small town living.

bdmsmith
September 11th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I've never been to the movies by myself---however I would go if I had the chance---I rarely get a chance to do anything by myself. On the weekends my husband likes us to do things together---if I go to town so does he, if he goes so do I---sometimes I have went over to my moms in town on my own or he goes over to a friends for coffee early in the morning (usually cause I refuse to get out of bed and am NOT a morning person). I know my husband wouldnt like for me to go to a movie by myself. Right now I am not working so I do have the entire day to myself when my husband is at work-----boy is it nice!! I go shopping if I want but mostly I sleep in, surf the internet (mostly this forum), read books, and sew. Now that we're getting older my husband is getting more lax about having to be together all the time---he goes down to our other property now and cuts wood so I can spend time sewing and if he's watching TV he doesn't need me sitting there anymore and I can surf the net or sew. Sometimes I go to town and meet him for lunch.....today was a special treat though because Joanns had the 20% off for seniors and since I'm not quite there yet and I really wanted to go shopping, I called my mom but she went in to work today for someone (she's semi retired)....I called my dad that lives down the road for me (he's semi-retired too but only works Mon/Tues) and he was on his way to town---yippee, so he agreed to meet me at Joanns after I was done browsing so I could get the 20% off...sweet!

As for eating dinner alone, I've done this all the time because prior to me resigning in January I was a regional property manager and although I lived in northern Indiana, I had properties in Indy and Grand Rapids, MI---most were 2 1/2 hours away so I would have 1-3 overnights every week travelling and I wouldn't have a problem eating alone. When I go to the big town now that I'm not working I have ate alone at a couple places but mostly I pick things up and bring them home or eat it on the way home because it's an hour drive each way and I hate to be gone for so long so I try and save time. We don't have a Panera bread where I live but when I go to the LQS an hour away they have one and that is my favorite place to eat----when I traveled I ate there a lot.

**I would suggest you start small because I never would've ate out alone if I didnt have to because of my job. Go out to eat at a McDonalds or someplace like that by yourself, take a Nook, laptop or book with you and then start going to other places as well, maybe a diner or a movie. In our small town the movie theater isn't open during the day otherwise I would be tempted to go by myself since my husband's at work now that you mention it!!!!

MayinJerset
September 11th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Guess I could go to see a movie by myself, that is if I could find one that I would like to see. Lots of seniors go to local Cinemax alone in the afternoon. I have eaten out by myself but that was a few times I was away from home. If I'm home alone for dinner I might get some take out and bring it home. Whenever I'm on a retreat the first thing that DH does is get some Chinese take out and some ice cream.

DH and I were married in the 1950's when Togetherism was big but we didn't buy into doing everything together mostly because he was in the Marines in Japan and then in VA when we first were married. We both are retired so we do many things together now but we both have our interests that we do alone, mine is quilting and his photography. The past year he as been helping me with weekly food shopping, he uses the regular shopping cart and is in charge of getting milk, juices, cereals, cookies, ice cream and paper products. I ride in one of the carts and get everything else. He also loads and unloads the car and I put everything away. Hey, for most of our married life I did all that by myself but now I need help. I still like to shop alone and do so a few times a week to the farm market, Joann's, to visit friends, etc.

Lisapc
September 11th, 2013, 11:30 PM
I have never done either. Maybe I should take in a movie by myself. My son is in school full time and I am not back to work yet so why not? Would it bother me? No. I would feel guilty that hubby is at work and I am out enjoying myself.

Dining alone? I often felt I was dining alone when I take the kids out. It started when I was single with just Brenna. It didn't bother me but to go all by myself? I don't know. I would most likely pick it up and bring it home.

Hulamoon
September 12th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Eating alone is not much fun. I did it maybe once at a mall in Calif (not at a food court) I think I was Christmas shopping. We don't have any main stream restaurants except for fast food. So no Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc.

Local and Japanese food. There is more but nothing you guys would know. Oh except panda garden. I forget that's even here

I think I will try a matinee! I don't like driving at night.

Sew Perfect
September 12th, 2013, 02:23 AM
I haven't in a long time, but I'm not apposed to going gain if it's one I can't miss on the big screen.

K. McEuen
September 12th, 2013, 02:30 AM
I don't like eating alone because all there is to do is eat, so I end up eating too fast and then I'm miserable.

It's been ages since I've gone to a movie, alone or otherwise. Mostly wait for the DVD.

Hulamoon
September 12th, 2013, 03:15 AM
I haven't in a long time, but I'm not apposed to going gain if it's one I can't miss on the big screen.

Now this is one I'm still bummed about. I took my two girls to Oahu for a play. Well it was when Avatar came out and I said let's go see it on the big screen. Not an Imax, but a bigger than usual screen. No, we don't want to go to the movies in the afternoon. After I pay for this whole trip.

Anyway, one of my dd's finally watched it and said sorry mom that we didn't go. I wish we did. I thought moms knew best. lol

bakermom
September 12th, 2013, 04:09 AM
I love to go out to eat alone. I take a book and really enjoy a nice leisurely meal. I WOULD go to the movies by myself except for one thing- I fall asleep as soon as the lights go down. The last time DH and I went I only saw part of the movie-yep-fell asleep. I'm just a bit sleep deprived due to working graveyard for so long.

Sheena
September 12th, 2013, 05:08 AM
I don't mind eating on my own and like bakermom, would take a book to read. I also go to the pictures on my own. I also used to go to the theatre in Manchester on my own.

I've also gone round France and The Netherlands on my own, camping. It was great.

Hulamoon
September 12th, 2013, 05:30 AM
I don't mind eating on my own and like bakermom, would take a book to read. I also go to the pictures on my own. I also used to go to the theatre in Manchester on my own.

I've also gone round France and The Netherlands on my own, camping. It was great.

There was a documentary that had a woman going around on her own. I'll post if I can find it. My aunt went back packing in Europe but had a buddy.

My mom went to Africa and Tibet on group trips.

twnkeyes
September 12th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I've done both, eaten alone and gone to movies alone. I don't mind it. I have friends and husband and adult children but sometimes they're not available, I'm bored and I go. It may sound selfish but I like my own company and I'm outgoing so it's not like I don't speak to anyone while I'm out. Try it, you might enjoy it more than you think!

Iris Girl
September 12th, 2013, 08:39 AM
I have never gone to a movie alone. It makes me uncomfortable plus there is usually nothing I want to see or the whole family wants to see so we go together. Eating out alone is not for me. would rather grab a sandwich or some soup and cozy up with my machine a good book or some tv.

WendyI
September 12th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I would have no qualms about doing that alone whatsoever. I don't think anyone should feel uncomfortable doing this. I don't personally because I have a home theater that frankly blows most movie theaters into the dust, and I don't have to put up with people kicking my seat, going out and in in the middle of the movie and garbage all over the floors...although with my almost 11 year old practically living down there lately it's been hit or miss on the mess! LOL! My FIL is a widower and eats out and goes to movies alone all the time. He loves it! I say life is too short to not do EVERYTHING you want and to heck with what anyone else thinks. It's only you that worries. Enjoy!

bdmsmith
September 12th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I love to go out to eat alone. I take a book and really enjoy a nice leisurely meal. I WOULD go to the movies by myself except for one thing- I fall asleep as soon as the lights go down. The last time DH and I went I only saw part of the movie-yep-fell asleep. I'm just a bit sleep deprived due to working graveyard for so long.

I don't have a problem with this---but my husband does, a lot of the times. We went out with his sister and her boyfriend probably 20 years ago before they were married and he even fell asleep then and we were only in our early 20's so I know it's not age. He has a hard time staying awake in movies, sometimes even at home he falls asleep during movies. If there's a movie that I really want to see and the boys really want to see (like the Harry Potter movies or the Star Wars movies) then the boys and I will just go---we've even went to the midnight showing of a couple that we really wanted to see.

I'm glad my husband isn't the only one who does this. We try to wait until they come out on DVD though because for just 2 of us it generally runs $50 to go to the movies by the time you buy popcorn and drinks as well....just ridiculous (especially if one person falls asleep and misses part of it lol).

Terri
September 12th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Once our four sons were grown & out of the house I began going to the movies by myself--- A LOT!!! :D Only daytime movies and any movie that I wanted to see. Didn't have to worry about the rating, although I rarely see one that is "R" rated (the language!!!). Having four sons, I saw so many action movies and "guy" type movies....I have had my fill. Not that I see every "chick flick" that comes out either. It just has to be something that peaks my interest. I've cut back a lot, now I just go every 2 to 3 months, or if something comes out that I just "have" to see. As for eating out by myself, I very rarely do that....I feel very conspicuous....like I am standing out like a sore thumb and everyone is watching me. :( My own insecurtities there. I will eat out by myself if necessary, but don't like to. I say break out of that comfort zone & go to a movie....you will like it!

Hulamoon
September 12th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I feel like that too Terri, eyes watching me.

I was thinking back to when I was a kid. My mom used to drop me off at the movies, and this was before ratings. She was a very neglectful mother. I sort of brought up myself sometimes. I saw some pretty racy movies. lol

K. McEuen
September 12th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I feel like that too Terri, eyes watching me.

I was thinking back to when I was a kid. My mom used to drop me off at the movies, and this was before ratings. She was a very neglectful mother. I sort of brought up myself sometimes. I saw some pretty racy movies. lol

Haha, I remember when I was 12 and The Exorcist came out in the theaters. My mom and I were in Ohio visiting my grandma. Mom wanted to see the movie, but I was with her. She said "It's too adult for you." I said that I read the book. She was shocked and asked when. I read it the night before, when she left it laying on the end table. It surprised her that I read the entire book in one evening, but she was happy because she could go see the movie since I already knew what to expect and was ok with it.

Beakkmom
September 12th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Ive done both, but we live in small town Iowa. I have also gone to multi plex to see movie when the family schedule doesnt work for hubs or daughter to go with me. I HAVE to see LOTR movies on the big screen, and the Avenger movies too! Im a people watcher, so i enjoy solo outings :)

Lin

Hulamoon
September 12th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I got dropped off to kids movies but here's a couple that mom just didn't check first

Alfie and Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice

umm