PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday 9-11-2013

Blondie
September 11th, 2013, 06:14 AM

My Daddy used to say a lesson hard learned was a lesson well learned.
Never Forget. Never Forget. Never Forget.

mamaquilt
September 11th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Blondie, your dad was a very wise man. He was so right!

have a nice day

MayinJerset
September 11th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Sad day today remembering.

easyquilts
September 11th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Your daddy was a wise man.... We will NEVER forget what happened on this day twelve years ago.

Bubby
September 11th, 2013, 07:55 AM
I will never forget where I was when I heard about 9-11. The days and weeks to come unfolded like a nightmare our country couldn't wake up from. 9-11 was a pivotal turning point for our country that we haven't recovered from. Never forget!!

I almost forgot to say good morning to everyone. It's going to be another scorcher today, but cooler weather is coming the end of the week and the weekend.

Wishing you all a day of remembrance.

Monique
September 11th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Good morning friends.

WE WILL REMEMBER!

MRoy
September 11th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Good morning...today is definitely a day of remembrance. I don't think anyone old enough to know what was happening on 9-11-2001 will ever forget.

Another hot day here too, but Barb's cooler weather for the weekend is going to cross the MO/KY border and bring some relief. Yay!

cyndiofthevortex
September 11th, 2013, 09:22 AM
The memory of that day is a dark one for me. We were in the midst of a personal family tragedy when the planes struck. My sister and I went back and forth, groaning over one event then the other. We spent the day that way and many days afterwards. We will certainly never forget.

Lisapc
September 11th, 2013, 09:55 AM
We can't forget. Our world is vastly different. I envy the little ones who don't know the fear of that day and pray they never experience anything like it.

Prayers to all!

SuzyQue
September 11th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I feel like that was our generation's Pearl Harbor. I will NEVER forget!

Hot day here, too, but cooler weather headed in tomorrow! Can't wait to open the house back up and shut off the ac!

bhaggerty
September 11th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Agree with everyone above!
NEVER FORGET!
Freedom isn't free!!

lilmouse
September 11th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Will never forget...horrible time for all of us!

aliaslaceygreen
September 11th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Live and love today. Tomorrow isn't promised. (((hugs)))

auntiemern
September 11th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Doubly hard day for me. Not only is this the date our country was attacked, but also 4 yrs ago on this date my little Grand son Gabe was attacked by someone that should have protected him. We were in fear for his life as well. I am so glad to have him with me this morning. I will squeeze him a little harder, kiss him over and over, and smile because I know it could have, and should have turned out much differently.
God bless the families of those that lost a loved one 12 yrs ago today. You will forever be in my prayers.

New York Sue
September 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM
In the wee hours of the morning, I admitted a Mom who will surely deliver on this day.
In my most uncanny, thinking 'out loud' way, I say 'Oh JEEZ, her birthday will be 9/11...'
SH*%!
Could I have a DO-OVER? Maybe a nine hour do-over?
Twelve years ago, I wept for days over the images of a dead priest being placed before an altar, by fireman. And a cell phone call from a Tower survivor that could only phone his best high school friends (my daughter, then living in Portland, Or), to my land line in NY, to let his parents, here, know he was still ALIVE.
Cell service was knocked out here....Communication was a mess.
The other thing that I'll remember FOREVER, was the absence of any planes in the air, for DAYS, maybe even a week, or better.
Now I don't live CLOSE to any major airports, and never even realized before that day, what happened everyday before that.
We are located on a major flight path for air-travel, for a FEW different major hubs here in NY, apparently. Such an eerie feeling, back then.

I think we need to MOVE ON, though. It was a solemn day. But that's twelve years behind us, right?
(NOTE TO SELF)

Her name will be Elisabeth, by the way...

CrazyMtnLady
September 11th, 2013, 11:13 AM
A day of reflection and time to take pause and be thankful for what we have. May God bless the families of those fallen.

VickiJ
September 11th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I remember. Having lost my job of 13 years in July, I decided to take a break before going back to work and take a semester of classes at the local community college. At the time, both my husband and my sister worked for the DoD (now all three of us do) on an Army base in New Jersey. My classes were Monday and Wednesday and I was determined that Tuesday and Thursday were going to be my "no goofing-off, no sitting in front of the tv all day, get your assignments done for the next class" days.

When the post went into lockdown, they both called me at home to turn on the tv and tell then what was going on. I remember relaying to them that one of the towers was smoking and there was a huge hole towards the top. We were busy speculating about how that could possibly happen when the second plane hit. Never seen anything like that in my life. Hope to never again.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 11th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Doubly hard day for me. Not only is this the date our country was attacked, but also 4 yrs ago on this date my little Grand son Gabe was attacked by someone that should have protected him. We were in fear for his life as well. I am so glad to have him with me this morning. I will squeeze him a little harder, kiss him over and over, and smile because I know it could have, and should have turned out much differently.
God bless the families of those that lost a loved one 12 yrs ago today. You will forever be in my prayers.
I'm so sorry you have all these bad memories on this day! Give Gabe an extra kiss from Grandma Jean, God was with him as he endured all he did to become the great little guy he is today!

One can never fathom how an adult can harm a child especially their own flesh and blood. That terrible situation in Illinois makes you question this all over again.

Granny Judy
September 11th, 2013, 11:47 AM
This is what goes thru my mind.. I still don't have any answers. Just Faith that the Good Lord Knows What He IS Doing.

The day is still vivid to so many of us... But did we learn anything from it? I like to think so, but we are still in turmoil and conflict. And I pray daily never to have that kind of destruction happen to any country. Innocent People pay the price for the few who want chaos. Is it really all about religion??

WendyI
September 11th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I sat at my desk watching the coverage of the first plane online when the second one hit. I cried the rest of the day and my boss made me go home. Although my own country was not attacked Ii definitely mourned the people who were lost in the blink of an eye on that day. I get sad too when I hear everyone talking about those two planes and forgetting that there were two others that also went down. So many lives snuffed out in an instant and all in the name of what? My thoughts are with all those who lost loved ones on this day, and I hope to never witness the like of that day ever again. Sadly I don't think my hopes will be realized. Granny Judy...I really do believe it's about religion.....and power...and a few who want to just see the world burn. I am sad today.

Gayle Russell
September 11th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I will never forget! Today is, also, my step-daughter's birthday! She's 29 years old. A bittersweet day.

Madeforyouinma11
September 11th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I will never forget where I was or what I was doing on that tragic morning. Remembering the families of all who were lost that day, one of them, well known in the city I lived in.
I'm so glad that God was with Gabe 4 years ago. It's certainly a reminder that through all the bad, some good does show it's face, and we need to hold onto that. He is a beautiful little boy...give him a (((hug))) from all of us.

Cathy F
September 11th, 2013, 02:44 PM
My husband and I were on our way home from vacationing in Lake George the day before it happened. I remember looking at the towers as we crossed the bridge, who knew that the very next day it would all change. My daughter will always remember that day as she actually saw the plane hit the tower from her work site and it made her sick. My hope is our country never experiences anything like that again.r

Genny
September 11th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I was glued to the tv watching this for days and cried many tears. I will never forget!

alliek
September 11th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I was in a meeting at work.When we broke and came out the office was gathered around radios to hear the news. I immediately called my DH at home to ask if he'd heard from our son who worked in the area. I hurried home and we went to his home in Nassau County. We spent many a crazy hour trying to be "normal" for our two small granddaughters and crazy with worry for our son from whom there was no communication. Finally at 2;00pm he managed a call home to tell us he was Ok (he worked across from the WTC's)and was walking uptown to be at the railroad station in case he could get a train home. His voice was flat and emotionless as he was in shock having witnessed bodies falling and walking through the debris and dust. He made it home that evening and for the next few weeks did nothing but go to funerals for those persons whose bodies they found. We lost a friend , Commander Orio Joseph Palmer 7th Battalion who was going up the towers to assess the damage. He was three months from retirement. He left a wife and three children and many loving family members and friends. They never found Orio. We will never forget.

Ginny B
September 11th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I will never forget that feeling when I heard about the 2nd plane and knew that we were being attacked. I didn't need some official announcement -- I knew it. I will also never forget the feeling of not knowing the whereabouts of my sister for hours. She worked down by World Trade and she was sometimes in one of the towers. My sons were finally able to get a message to me to stay in midtown, that my sister was ok and walking up to me. We finally got home at 6:00 that night. I will never forget that day.

It was a hot day here today too and since I needed a bit of de-stressing, dh and I picked up some Subway sandwiches and headed down to the beach for dinner and relaxation (after a quick stop at Joann's). The peacefulness of the beach was just what I needed.

kensington
September 11th, 2013, 10:17 PM
This day always takes me unaware. I don't pay attention to the daily day to day date, except for holidays. I'm oblivious. But, at some point on this day, I turn on the TV. get on the computer or listen to the radio and I am reminded of that day.

It all comes flooding back fresh as new to me then, who could forget. We lived on the Navy Base, dh was Division Commander. I rushed to get my kids from school and get them home, waited to hear what was going to happen next for our country and us as a military family. Dh rushed in at dinner to hug me and we cried. He grabbed a uniform and clean socks to go back. We were in lock down. No one coming no one going any where for a while. Tanks and spotlights stood at any opening to the base and housing. The worse part was my husband could not come home, he had to remain with his division. The kids and I were alone.

I'm so grieved it happened, so thankful it was not worse. It was weeks before I would go to large public areas for anything.

quiltingtrish
September 11th, 2013, 10:47 PM
I was watching TV when the show was interrupted after the first plane hit. I thought somehow a movie had started playing when I realized it was for real. Then the 2nd tower and the falling - I remember saying out loud 'they are gone! They are all gone!" I called my Dad so he wouldn't see it on the 6:00 news that evening and not know what happened. He was taking care of my Mom so the TV didn't get turned on until later in the day. While we were on the phone, the other 2 locations were hit. Unbelievable.

Also unbelievable is that this is the first year the school I work at didn't even have a moment of silence. So, I excused myself from class and took that moment for a prayer for all those that were and still are affected.

Move on? No. I won't forget.

Hugs,