PDA

View Full Version : Owls of the Night

cyndiofthevortex
September 11th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Tonight I am enjoying two gifts. One DH bought me when he kindly went out to fill the tank with gas for my trip today. A box of Cumberland Farms white powdered-sugar donuts. Yum! They are a definite favorite of mine. Not a good thing to have in the house when you're often up in the middle of the night! It's not good for my middle, if you know what I mean.

The other is a book given to me by my SIL on my birthday. It is Victoria Findlay Wolfe's "15 Minutes of Play - Improvisational Quilts." It is opening my eyes to a path of more creativity and risk-taking in my quiltmaking.

Here's a paragraph from the book: "Are you afraid to make choices? Why? If you make a mistake, challenge yourself to make it work, as it may be the start of your new favorite quilt. Inspiration is in everything, and there are always more quilts to be made. If you are afraid of making an ugly quilt, you have your energy tied up in the wrong place. You can always make another quilt. There are no wrong choices in following your instinct when building a quilt. If you don't try, you won't make discoveries. If you're only playing for 15 minutes at a time, how many mistakes can you possibly make?" I like this philosophy!

My trip today is to my new quilt guild. I am so happy I found a group of sweet women who love what I love. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Musical_Starling
September 11th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Don't you know it's nearing 2:30 AM here and you're tempting me with donuts? lol I like the philosophy of your new book though, because it is true. I use the same philosophy with my parents about their computers: You can't mess it up bad enough that I can't fix it. Unless you use a hammer. Then I will have to start replacing crap lol Have fun on your trip tomorrow!

Meanwhile I'm off to bed to dream about powdered donuts....

dwil23
September 11th, 2013, 01:56 AM
I like that quote and those donuts sound good, too. I bought a bag of the little chocolate covered ones to bring to work tonight and they aren't very good. Won't buy that brand again. But, maybe that's a good thing - far less tempting.

I too often get stuck by what I call the "paralysis of analysis". I spend way more time stressing over not messing up - I should just go with it and fix it if I have to. There are so many quilts to make, we really can't afford to waste time, can we?

This is my Friday - looking forward to being off the next two nights. Everyone have a blessed and restful night, even if you can't sleep.

Granny Judy
September 11th, 2013, 02:00 AM
I'm with you Cyndi!! pass the donuts, please. What? your arms aren't long enough?? Shoot fire.. guess these crumbly ol' Ritz will have to do.

Just popping in to check the dd afore heading to bed. I'm looking for a pattern and fabric for this quilt.. see image. It's for my youngest GrandSon.. I have some time til Christmas.. and it's a twister quilt using the largest template.

Hulamoon
September 11th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Well again such good advice:) It's only 7: 00 here again so I guess I'm the early bird in the insomnia battle. I could use some help though. I posted about the stack and wack. My store called and I never got a list, she calls me even if I don't sign up. I have been going there at least 25 yrs. I think she just remembers that I don't remember to sign up. lol

How much fabric for a block? Big print? Then I can sleep:)

Jean Sewing Machine
September 11th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Gee I almost missed the meeting of the night owls! I sewed all day after getting too little sleep last night, thought that would do to keep me asleep. But no! I think this heat we're having is part of it, I wake up hot every night. Come on, fall, show your sweet face!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 11th, 2013, 02:11 AM
I'm with you Cyndi!! pass the donuts, please. What? your arms aren't long enough?? Shoot fire.. guess these crumbly ol' Ritz will have to do.

Just popping in to check the dd afore heading to bed. I'm looking for a pattern and fabric for this quilt.. see image. It's for my youngest GrandSon.. I have some time til Christmas.. and it's a twister quilt using the largest template.

55539Judy, I really like this! Love the Twister quilts!

Precious1
September 11th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Cyndi, I'm new to quilting but I've always liked to pushed the limits. So even if I have used a pattern, I've modified it in some form or fashion and made it my own. I don't know why, but I've always been the type of person, that if I'm afraid, that's when I have to do it. Maybe it's because I refuse to let fear be my chains. Who knows. But I like what that book says. Gonna see if the library has it to check it out.

Yummy, powdered donuts and an ice cold glass of milk. My favorite. Wish I had some right now. Oh well, maybe next time.

Granny Judy
September 11th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Lorie... Don't know much about the stack and wack..but there was a tutorial on U-tube that showed you how and the fabric was paisley -- I think. Repeat fabric in 9 inch and 12 inch.. had about 6 layers. She used a Dresden looking template.. I could be wrong, and probably am.. It was just way too much for my brain at the time. Sorry I didn't book mark it for you.

And Jean.. The quilt was a "request" from my 13 yr old Grand Son.. "All in black, please"... Once I get all the necessary items together, it won't take me long to getter done.

Sew Perfect
September 11th, 2013, 02:40 AM
"Are you afraid to make choices? Why? If you make a mistake, challenge yourself to make it work, as it may be the start of your new favorite quilt. Inspiration is in everything, and there are always more quilts to be made. If you are afraid of making an ugly quilt, you have your energy tied up in the wrong place. You can always make another quilt. There are no wrong choices in following your instinct when building a quilt. If you don't try, you won't make discoveries. If you're only playing for 15 minutes at a time, how many mistakes can you possibly make?"

This is great advice! Hello Ladies, I was up early this morning to go to my QOV group and an eye appointment. First, the group is wonderful and I liked those women. Today was my first day at this particular group and all were so welcoming and friendly to me. They even invited me to their guild and another once a month group sew together. Isn't that nice?

Secondly, I was right about my eyes...they don't see nearly as well as they use to. :icon_beuj: Darn! I don't have cells in either of them at this point, which is awesome and makes me happy. Now time to go back and pick out frames for my new prescription! :icon_noob: I want either my daughter or my friend to go with me, so I can get their advice though. If neither of them can go, I should take my son because he won't hesitate to tell me if a pair is terrible on me or not. Unlike his father, who says I'm beautiful no matter what. So, he's out for sure!

I checked the dd and I am contemplating on if I should get it or not. I love anything 3 Sisters, so it is very hard for me to resist!

I drank some Sleepy time tea, so I am in hope of going to sleep very soon. I feel relaxed. Yay :icon_bigsmile:

Gosh, I wish I had some powdered donuts. Maybe I will dream about them tonight.

Sew Perfect
September 11th, 2013, 02:45 AM

I would love to see this quilt finished. I'm like Jean, I love the twister quilts and projects!

Hulamoon
September 11th, 2013, 03:45 AM
That's okay Judy, Jean helped me in my original thread:) Wow I'm afraid of that twister! It's beautiful. I like how he knows what he wants though.:)

turena65
September 11th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Hello Ladies...

Great advice Cindy... sounds like a good book... Love the twister quilt Judy, can't wait to see what it turns out like... Lorie, I wish I could help you out with the stack and whack but I have no idea what that is...

This afternoon I spent some time rearranging my sewing room, starting with my fabric. I have no idea where people get their comic boards, I assume from a comic book store, which are in the big city... nothing like that here. Then took apart a whole pillow I had pieced and put rick rack around... I didn't like how it turned out and I just had to do it over again. I think it looks much better now...
I have decided to make my parents a quilt for Christmas using rich fall colors. Finding just the right pattern and choosing the fabrics is always the hardest part for me. Personally, the piecing is a snap compared to the planning stage. Inevitably I find a lap or a twin sized quilt that I love and want to enlarge it, and it takes me forever to figure out what the dimensions and amount of fabric should be. I guess I don't do well with too many choices...
I'm having lunch tomorrow at our LQS with the ladies who work there.. I used to go in weekly with a few of the gals who were in my first quilt class and we would just sit and sew on various projects, have lunch together and laugh, till our sides ached. ... I miss having those weekly sewing dates. I haven't felt much like socializing with anyone lately because of a tragedy with one of my co-workers and good friends. We finally had a celebration of life for this dear sweet lady last week, about a month after her death, and it was good for me to finally have closure. Her death was sudden, unexpected, and tragic. I feel her presence everywhere, every time I go to work there are lots of things that remind me of her, and when I go home I see gifts she has given me or my family. I feel honored and blessed to have known her. I think of her often, and yet life goes on. I have decided that I need to resume doing the things that bring me joy and happiness and spend time with the people that I love, besides my family. This friend would not have wanted the people she loved to be miserable and sad all the time. So, I'm looking forward to spending time laughing with people that I adore. :)

Have a wonderful night ladies, I hope you get some good shut-eye tonight. :)

Turena

Sheena
September 11th, 2013, 04:04 AM
It's 7.57 am here and I've seen the DD. Although I really like it, I'm not buying it because I've just go so much stuff to complete.

Last night I was up late making a cork pillow for my friend Martin who runs the local homebrew shop. He says a cork pillow will prevent cramp in the night. He's experimented and found that 30 corks is the optimal number required.

I'll post the piccie in a few mins. So if you're interested go to 'gallery' and find the search box for the gallery. Type in 'cork pillow'. I'm sure it will be the only cork pillow.

BTW I didn't sleep well either last night. I woke at 2 am and was still awake at 5.30 but must have fallen asleep because I woke at 7 because I heard my son getting up. And I didn't want to miss the DD!

Sheena
September 11th, 2013, 04:09 AM

You don't need to go in the gallery - I've put it here.

Madeforyouinma11
September 11th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Mmmm...powdered donuts. I have an unopened bag of them downstairs but its time for bed. I'll eat them later for breakfast.
Judy, I've seen that quilt and I love it. Where did you find the pattern? Can't wait to see yours.
Well, I'm really too tired to think right now but wanted to say hello to all of the other night owls. It's 3:12am here and time to get some sleep.
Hope everyone has a great night and a better day tomorrow.

Hulamoon
September 11th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Turena, sorry about your friend:(

Cute Sheena!

I think I found one of my problems to my sleep problems. I knew this before. I leave the TV on. Last night I turned it off and slept better. I might toss and turn a little but it was better. :)

MayinJerset
September 11th, 2013, 06:00 AM
HOOT, HOOT, This night owl did get some sleep tonight. Only had a few hours sleep last night and then did a lot of stuff around the house so around 8pm I fell asleep watching TV, woke up for a few minutes and fell asleep till 10, that is when I decided to go to bed. Slept a long time so maybe you are right, no TV = more sleep. Don't you just hate it when the plot on TV becomes your dream? No donuts here either so I'll probably be dreaming of them in my next segment of sleep.

Granny Judy
September 11th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Cil and all, I found the pattern right here at M*. around $7.?? but it is My Grandson and he is the youngest of the bunch. So I'll spoil him a little.. Also ordered the 10" twister template.. Now for the fabric---- after I get the pattern and read the requirements...