PDA

View Full Version : A Proud Aussie Remembers

Nidan_07
September 10th, 2013, 08:21 PM
As it is already the 11th here in Aus, I thought that I would post a small tribute to all of the fallen from this tragic day 12 years ago. Along with the United States and other countries, Australia lost some of our sons and daughters on that day. I was listening to the radio this morning to a young Aussie man who lost his mother who was on her retirement dream holiday. Unfortunately, she was on the flight that hit the pentagon. He was inspirational in his speech about the fact that although his Mum had a mobile phone with her she was not very good at using it. He believes that trying to use that phone would have been the last thing she would have done.....she would have been too busy trying to hold the hands of those around her and offer them comfort. Words just can not describe. This is only 1 small story - not even the tip of the iceberg to the horror of this day.
My family has fortunate enough to visit Ground Zero twice. In 2009 at the temporary facility and then again last year when the museum was nearing completion. I am always moved deeply and it upsets me, but I feel that it is a necessity to pay my respects to each and every person involved, as well as their loved ones that they were taken from. If we are fortunate enough to get back there, then we will pay our respects again.
Keep those you love close, look after each other, and be thankful for what we have.

On a more positive note: my DS turns 14 today. Happy Birthday Nathan !! You're the best!!

bubba
September 10th, 2013, 08:33 PM
You gave me goosebumps and chills up my spine. Twelve years ago, my husband was laid off from his job in July of that year. At the time, it was very upsetting. In hindsight, it was a blessing in disguise, because he had a job in the computer industry where he travelled a lot. We had been back to NYC before, me once with him, but he had been several times. He had been scheduled to be there September 11, in a building on the next block over.

I will never forget waking up that morning and turning on the TV as they showed the second plane hit the tower. I thought it was a movie, never the news!

Things changed that day for many of us. Not only were thousands lost that day, but since, in the war, thousands more. I had a son in law in the army that was normal before going over, but came back damaged mentally. After nearly killing our daughter and kidnapping our granddaughters, she finally saw there was nothing we or she could do to help him and they finally divorced. There are families suffering like this every night and every day. Nothing will ever, ever be the same.

Bless the USA.

Kelly F
September 10th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Yes, it does affect so many. I have many friends who were first responders to the Pentagon. We will never forget! God bless all those that were sacrificed that day, and to the families. <3

PeggyM
September 10th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Thank you for sharing your memories. I believe everyone in the free world remembers where they were on that day. "Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?" (Al Jackson). Just had to listen to it again.

PeggyM
September 10th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Alan Jackson "Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning" - YouTube (http://youtu.be/TpZJD6deEGc)

Blondie
September 10th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Lenore, I had a friend, Sandy Bradshaw on Flight 93. She was one of the flight attendants. She was a class act and such a fun person; very family oriented. She had two very small children. When I saw her name and photo on television I just couldn't believe it. She walks with angels and makes them all smile.
So many lost so many that day. Everyone has their own personal story. Even if it is just the fact that happened. I will never forget. And yes, Peggy - I love that song. Thank you for posting it. I had it on my blog for one anniversary.
God bless us, everyone.

PeggyM
September 10th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Blondie. As you said, God bless us, everyone.

Lisapc
September 10th, 2013, 10:27 PM
My mother decided at the last moment not to attend a business meeting and stay back to get some work done while her colleagues went ahead. They were on the flight into the first tower. My cousin's husband was in the pentagon and although injured he survived. I was driving to a patients house when I heard it on the radio and then heard as the second tower was hit. I still regret not marching into my daughters school to bring her home. For weeks and weeks there was an unsettling silence to the skies. No one will ever forget, we may all have a different perspective on that day but we won't forget.

PeggyM
September 10th, 2013, 10:42 PM
My mother decided at the last moment not to attend a business meeting and stay back to get some work done while her colleagues went ahead. They were on the flight into the first tower. My cousin's husband was in the pentagon and although injured he survived. I was driving to a patients house when I heard it on the radio and then heard as the second tower was hit. I still regret not marching into my daughters school to bring her home. For weeks and weeks there was an unsettling silence to the skies. No one will ever forget, we may all have a different perspective on that day but we won't forget.

I went to my daughters' school. They were on lockdown and wouldn't let anyone in or out. I drove in to DC to pick up a friend, because the bus and Metro also shut down. There was no one on the road. (I was living in the DC suburbs at the time.). I never want to be so afraid again. I pray we are all safe and sound. Love to you all.

Doloris
September 10th, 2013, 10:56 PM
my youngest son lives in the DC area and his girlfriend works at the pentagon in the end that was hit by the plane. She was still in the army and didn't work there 12 years ago. My other ds was in the army and stationed in Augusta Ga at the time. I was a proud and very scared mom for a while. He was in intelligence and a morse interceptor. I was so afraid he would get orders to go somewhere dangerous, and so proud that he was able to do so if called upon. He stayed in Ga. It certainly changed the world as we knew it then.

easyquilts
September 10th, 2013, 11:17 PM
I was babysitting two grandchildren that morning, and listening to the radio. It was my birthday, so I was thinking about going to Applebee's that evening with my husband. I heard something on the radio, and turned on the TV. I have never felt such shock and horror. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I was afraid or a long time..... Months? My world.....as with so many people had changed forever. I had been a medic with a fire department, so knowing that so many fire personnel died while trying to save others hit me hard...

None of us will ever forget the abject horror of that day, nor should we. All we can do is honor the memories of all those people who lost their lives that beautifull September morning. It is good to share our stories....keeping those memories alive is important. We can never allow ourselves to forget the day our country lost her innocence.

Thanks to those of you who experienced...or nealy experienced...loss that day,for sharing your personal stories. Your words bring it home for us.

PeggyM
September 10th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Sandy, I'm afraid we are forgetting. I CANNOT forget.

Lisapc
September 11th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Sandy, I'm afraid we are forgetting. I CANNOT forget.

No one who was old enough to be in school on that day will ever forget what they went through or what happened to all of those poor people in the towers, the pentagon and on flight 93. It is the younger kids that don't know much about that time.

We will not ever forget. I was 30 and for the first time I felt alone. Remember the rush on marriages for the year after that?

Meli
September 11th, 2013, 12:41 AM
In 2001, Salt Lake City was gearing up for the Olympics, and I was collecting Olympic pins. After 9/11, I learned the Salt Lake Olympic Committee had made a special pin, the proceeds from which went to a charitable fund. I purchased nearly twenty of them, and gave all but one of them away to people I worked closely with, who were just as affected as I was. I wear mine every year on 9/11. I make myself remember, I make myself view the footage. I am grateful to all the first responders, I mourn all the losses, and I mourn the things that have happened to us all since then as a result.

Musical_Starling
September 11th, 2013, 12:50 AM
I remember being very "uncultured" (to put it nicely) and not even knowing what the World Trade Center was or even the Twin Towers until another classmate explained it to me. I did know where the Pentagon was though, so I guess I wasn't too sheltered. I just thought that the WTC was something overseas somewhere... I feel a little dumb saying that now, but I guess in Grade 11 I hadn't learned enough about the world around me yet. I just remember hearing about it during our lunch break and then going home and it was on repeat on every channel. I sat there horrified. It was my Dad's 49th birthday, and I don't remember if he even had a cake because there certainly was no celebration in our house that day.

Our province helped a lot of the flights that got diverted. Many landed in Gander while others landed in St. John's, and I know many here would do it all again in a heartbeat if called upon. There may be a border between our countries, but we feel like we are a little closer than neighbours when something like that happens. My heart still goes out to all personally affected, I cannot even begin to imagine...

Tanya D
September 11th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Dee, I was much older than you and I will admit to not really knowing much about the WTC's either. It was my son's first day of kindergarten and he was watching TV while I was getting ready. My husband called and said that two planes had crashed into the WTC'S and I was like, "oh, okay" and went and changed the channel. I watched for a bit then took Eric to school. After I dropped him off, I went and did groceries. Unlike others, I didn't sit in front of my TV and watch the horrifying images over and over again. I guess because terrorist attacks "don't happen here" in Canada and I really didn't understand the magnitude of it until later in the day.

I chat with a bunch of moms on another forum and several of them are in the states. It was when I got on there that I understood a little more.

And I do remember the quiet of the sky...we live directly north of an international airport and they approach over our house. Supper time is always busy and I remember how quiet it was, eerily quiet.

I've since read several books written by survivors or widows, to grasp the magnitude of that day. I will never be that ignorant of my world again.

lovequilting
September 11th, 2013, 03:05 AM
I didn't know anyone personally affected by the trajedy of that day, but it still rocked my world. I remember hearing about it and listening to the radio at work. I called my parents and asked them what the news was saying and they had no idea anything had happened. For a short time there was a lot of speculation about where the 4th plane was going and some were reporting possibly Chicago. My sister worked in the John Hancock building and although we weren't that close I called her and begged her to leave work until more quesions were answered. I remember the feeling of wanting to leave work and pick up my daughter who was in 2nd grade and go home and hide. I like so many others was glued to the t.v. for several days afterwards and crying all the time.

My son was was born 2 1/2 months later. He has learned about it in school and we talk about it whenever he has questions. I am glad that the schools around here are covering 9/11 in the classrooms. I think it is something that all kids should learn about, just like any other major event that has touched our Country. It is a part of our Countries history and should never be forgotten.

Suzette
September 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM
No, none of us will forget. My daughter was five years old when it happened and even she remembers it well. Though kept from the visual horrors on TV at that tender age, she knew enough for a five year old and as she grew, she learned more and more of the tragedy and loss of that day and eventually was old enough to see the footage of the planes hitting those buildings. She learned that there are people in this world that do not value life. That they see the world and some of the people in it as ugly and of little value.

But she learned something else along the way too. That other people, good people on the worst day of their lives can be brave and heroic, only thinking of others. That a nation, battered, frightened and shell-shocked by a horrendous nightmare picks themselves up and stands strong and united against the enemy. That we cannot be broken but only made stronger by adversity.

No, we won't ever forget. It would allow the terrorists among us to win and disrespect our heroes.

Monique
September 11th, 2013, 08:27 AM
I was working in our Nation's Capital when we heard the news. I worked on the 18th floor and we were told we could leave if we were afraid. I was and wanted to go home but could not as I was traveling with others at the time. But I was scared. I remember looking out the windows in search of planes.

NO, we never FORGET!!

Iris Girl
September 11th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I was commuting to a store in new city NY at the time . After picking up the 2 co workers that traveled with me we headed on our way. We usually chatted up a storm so no radio on. When we reached the store we were greeted with other employees all trying to tell us what happened, one who lived close went home to get her portable tv so we could see and hear. we had maybe 1 or 2 customers that whole day we were all numb. My boss and another co worker were on the way to a conn store. we heard they were closing the bridges down and told her to come back, before she was stranded. Then I remember coming home scared to come through the tollbooths but anxious to get home to my kids and hubby and we all just sat and stared at the TV in disbelief and horror.
As a former hiker that use to hike the mountains close enough to see the twin towers I was devastated. They always were such a proud landmark to see from so far. The last hike we took on those mountains after with a big gap in the sky was so sad.
We will never forget.

pcbatiks
September 11th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I was home working on our living room that day............had the tv off. My husband called to tell me so I turned on the tv. I watched....like everyone else horrified..........but I could not sit and watch for very long. Even as far away as I am from the areas where those attacks happened..........I know for several months afterwards loud noises outside & planes overhead would make me anxious & tense. Reading everyones post reminds me, once again, that the affects of that day reaches even further than we ever realize. So many lives touched or changed in so many ways.

A link to a beautiful tribute from Memorial on 10th Anniversary

Amazing Grace at 9/11 Memorial Ceremony, Emi Ferguson Flute - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed1_l9Xao7A)

CrazyMtnLady
September 11th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I remember that day very well, I was at my DH's home in Michigan at the time. He had just turned on the TV and just stood there with tears in his eyes. He called to me and I went to see what was wrong when the 2nd plane hit. We sat stunned and glued to the TV that day, crying and hugging each other. We went to church with his neighbor the next day and prayed.
We now can't watch certain movies without remembering 9/11 because the Twin Towers are shown in the skyline in so many old movies. We will always remember. 7

MayinJerset
September 12th, 2013, 11:30 AM
My friend called me and said turn on the TV and I saw the 2nd plane hit the tower. Images from that day and later ones are forever imbedded in my memory. We were very lucky as we didn't lose any family members but we grieve with the families that did.

Over40momma
September 13th, 2013, 12:10 AM
I was working that morning at a building where I was the property manager. The superintendent came to me as he advised of a riot that broke out in our underground parking facility. When the elevator let me off at the sub-floor, found about 30 people in the midst of what was hand-to-hand combat with even women involved. Told Super to call police and I opened the fire cabinet and turned 150 pounds pressure of cold water on the whole bunch. Turned out they had heard about the initial attacks and some fundamental issue started the fight. But I learned of this part the next day. I left the police to charge them all with public stupidity or whatever they could come up with. I left, went to the babysitters at noon to pick up my youngest and that was when I found out about the first plane hitting The Towers. I watched in horror as the 2nd plane came into view and knew it would hit too.

34 Canadians died that day amongst the thousands. The bitterness and anger for the cowards who took so many lives still exists, and my heart still aches for all the families that were left devastated with their lives forever changed. Life does go on, but we should never forget.