PDA

View Full Version : Night Owls Unite!

cyndiofthevortex
September 10th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Hello, friends. Up again, I see! We have got to stop meeting this way.

One idea I have: If I'm not here and you are, go ahead and start the thread. You never know, I just might sleep through one of these nights! I don't think I will, but as John Lennon would say, "They may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..."

Here is a middle of the night story for you. It is about how DH and I came to adopt our daughter Faith:

One day I was lying in bed resting. God spoke to me, not in audible words but to my mind and heart. "I have a daughter for you," he said. "Well," I answered back, "you'll have to drop her in my lap. We already have 6 children we can barely afford and our families would freak if we decided to adopt a child." This was in April. I "pondered these things in my heart," as it says in the Bible, not telling anyone, even Jonas. I began to pray for this little girl.

In October I went to our local homeschool support group meeting. To begin, we go around the room, introducing ourselves, saying where we live and how many children we homeschool. A good friend came in late and sat on the other side of the room so I had no chance to greet her. As the intros came to her, she said she was homeschooling 8 children. She only had 7 kids! What's up with that?

It wasn't until after the meeting, when I was getting ready to leave, that I had a chance to talk to Lee. "Where did you get an extra child?" I asked. She told me that an adoptive family had just dropped off a 12 year old girl at her house, that they didn't want her and weren't coming back to get her. "She needs a home," Lee said. "Would you like to adopt her?"

And that was the beginning of a great adventure.

Lisapc
September 10th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Oh Cyndi: There is so much more to this story. I am thrilled you Faith got to be Mom and daughter.

I was awake tossing until about 4 yesterday morning and then up at 6:30 am to get the Lil' Guy off to school. I fell back to sleep at 9:30 am and woke up at 2 pm. So I am now thinking about heading to bed.

Check the book group threads by the way!!!

Musical_Starling
September 10th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Cyndi, what a beautiful story! Not quite a lovely beginning for Faith, but I am certain that since she's been under your wing she's had much better luck and certainly a lot more love :) I have to say though, I'm a little shocked that anyone would basically drop a 12 year old girl off on someone else's doorstep and drive away as if they were leaving kittens at an animal shelter. Who does that? It worked out well in the end because you have all had the chance to do bigger and better things because of it, but.... Why?

ETA: Lisa, go to bed! I mean it young lady! lol

toggpine
September 10th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Who would do that? I am so glad she had a safe place to go, and now has a forever family!

I'm liking the night owl thread idea!! This is when it usually quiets down around here, and out here on the left coast, by the time I'm posting good morning, it's past noon for the East coasters!

Today was the first "normal" day of the new school year. Hubby was back to work after his stay-cation, I was too. Now to put the house back together before it falls apart again while we are doing the next two weeks of the state fair hullaballoo!
I'm pretty sure I have a laundry breeding program going on around here to augment the dust bunny colonies. Yikes!
I also realized that I couldn't blame the hazy view out of the windows on the screens. I really must get those done in the next few days while it's warm enough to get soaked. I don't mind washing them, I just hate taking the screens out. It will be worth it though.

Well, I had better hit the hay since It looks to be another busy one tomorrow, and we have the last load of hay to haul on Wednesday!
Hugs, Cathy

Sew Perfect
September 10th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Cyndi, what a great story! You have a very big heart to do such a thing! I believe there are people who are just gifted to do what you do.

bhaggerty
September 10th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Awesome story Cyndi! Glad for the happy ending!
I am a late nighter too!
need to go to bed.....soon.....
busy day tomorrow!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 10th, 2013, 02:32 AM
Hi! Cyndi, you have a heart as big as the universe! So glad to hear about Faith's entrance into your lives!

I got motivated at 9 to start a sewing project. I worked until DD time. Now, I'm too juiced up to sleep. But too tired to sew more. Guess I'll just lay around and see what happens, sleep or get up and sew some more.

Judy~Ann
September 10th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Such beautiful people you are. You encourage and motivate me.... help me ponder my own dilemmas... and you don't even know it. I come online at odd hours to read ... not seeking anything in particular, and find inspiration from you. God bless you each and every one.

I've spoken a few times of our precious grandson who was diagnosed with cancer at 16... and of the horrible, pain filled treatments that caused him to be so very sick .. for so many days and nights. God has performed miracles with this grandson. He is now 18 and attending a junior college (he deals with some memory loss, etc from radiation and chemo).... but thank God he is in remission and the doctors see no signs of cancer in his body. Thank You Jesus!

Tonight I am humbled and thankful and praising God again. This time it is because of the joy of our newest GREAT grandson who was born this morning... beautiful and perfect and healthy. Our God is good all the time.

So thank you all for who you are... and for the love you share. Cathy, you touched my heart with your story tonight.

Good night my fellow night owls.

grammakim04
September 10th, 2013, 02:56 AM
What an amazing story. I have alot of late nights...depends on how my husband is doing. Would love a night owl thread.

turena65
September 10th, 2013, 03:15 AM
Hello friends...
Beautiful story Cindy :)
Looks like an all nighter for me. I'm back to work tonight. Since we have no mommies or babies right now I am stuck floating to ER and ICU until a pregnant woman waddles in the door. When it gets slow I check on the forum. I cleaned the house today then remembered I had a staff meeting at 4 pm. Of course it ended just in time for me to start my 12 hour shift tonight. By the time I go home I will have been here for almost 16 hours. Ugh!! It's no wonder our coworkers become like family..we spend almost as much time with them as we do our real families. :)

The weather was gorgeous, about 70 degrees. The nice thing about living on the coast is that we don't really get extreme weather. Other than lots of rain, its usually cool and gets cooler in the winter but we rarely have snow. And its so GREEN... I love it!

For my oldest son's Birthday a few weeks ago he just wanted some Oregon blackberries from our property. So we picked them, froze them on cookie sheets, packed them into gallon bags and sent them to him in a cooler with dry ice via UPS 2 days.... he said it was the best Birthday present he ever got! Poor kid is so homesick, (he and his wife and son live in Utah while he is in school) and just wanted a piece of home! Let me tell you, there are few things better than Oregon berries. :) Mmmmm good! If our strawberry and blueberry season wasn't already over I would have sent him some of those too... next year.

Well night owls... I wish you lots of wonderful quilty dreams,have a great night!

Turena

Hulamoon
September 10th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Wow Cyndi that was inspiring.:) It's not nite owl time here yet. 8:20 Just watching the boob tube. When it's my nite owl you are all talking about the sun already. lol

MayinJerset
September 10th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Hey I'm here joining the late owls. Haven't been to sleep yet as I've been busy paying bills and filling the 2014 Budget Request for our Project Pillowcases. I just cut and pasted info from last year's budget request but upped the amount of dollars we would like to receive.

Cyndi, beautiful story about how Faith joined your family.
Judy so happy to hear your grandson is doing so well and Congrats on the new Great Grandson. How many Great Grandkids do you have? I have 2, both boys.
Truena, One of my DGDaughters has the same position that you have. When she moved to New Orleans she worked in the ER but quickly decided she would rather be dealing with mommies and babies. Happy to report she found the right job very quickly.

pcbatiks
September 10th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Hello fellow night owls.........was sleeping so good that when I woke up I thought it was almost morning & time to get up! Well, I was wrong. After trying to go back to sleep.........here I am! Guess I'll read a little & then go back to bed.

Cyndi.......what a special story of how Faith came into your family.............so glad things worked out for her.

Judy........so happy that your grandson is doing well now........and congrats on the new grandbaby!

I talked to my aunt yesterday afternoon.........and she has decided that she would like to hang her quilt that I made on the wall in her living room. So I told her I could put a sleeve on the back to hang it from. So happy that she loved it so much.

I did work some on my SS gifts yesterday.........finally!

easyquilts
September 10th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Dee.... This is weird.... Yesterday I read a news story about this very topic....it's called "rehoming"....and evidently is not all that unusual. Adoptive paremts simply find someone who will take the child they no longer want.... Sometimes this happens over the Internet. How can people do such a thing? Sometimes these children end up in very bad situations.

Cyndi's little girl is so lucky to have found her..... I know she is now getting the love and stability she deserves. What a great story!

Oh yeah... I've been up since 3:30, when my Chihuhua, Finn, decided to go outside. Then, at 4:20,he and my husband's chi wanted breakfast. There re nights when I don't sleep at lol these days.... (or should I say nights?).

easyquilts
September 10th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Jean.... This happens to me a lot...when it is normal time to bed, I suddenly "wke up".... I guess I don't want to give up the day.

I usually don't sew, though, because I know, from experience, that mistakes will be made.... I usually hit the iPad,whose name is Buddy. That's 'cause we hang out together a lot. I read, play SCRABBLE, or come here.

PeggyM
September 11th, 2013, 11:35 PM
To the nightowl issue: my head hits the pillow at 11:00 pm, and I'm asleep instantly until the alarm goes off at 5:00. I have always been this way. My dad said my arse was attached to my eyelids. Fast forward...the last three mornings I have awoken at 1:10 am EST, (midnight plus 10 minutes M* time). Is my body clock now aligned to the Daily Deal?