PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted!!!

cindyinohio
September 9th, 2013, 05:46 PM
This is really just venting:
Friday my 9 yr old grandson fell off monkey bars at school and broke his arm.When daughter called me (hysterical),being an old ortho-nurse called my old boss. When I met them at his office I knew it needed surgery. The surgery was done Friday evening. Sunday his arm swelled (not unusual) so I told her to take him to the ER, it was a simple fix to slit the cast..I've done it 100's of times. She calls me back and says the Phys.Assist. ( I'm tempted to leave off the last three letters) is going to take the cast off and put him back in a splint. I went ballistic saying the bone will move and he'll be back in surgery!! So I call my boss(Dr.) again...this time he went ballistic and called the ER to stop them. He was actually on call that day but the P.A. told my daughter that she knew (NOT!!!) what he wanted and wasn't going to bother him. Luckily we got them stopped .
My question is: What would have happened to the average person who wouldn't have known better??? :icon_angry:

K. McEuen
September 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I'm right there with you on the feeling about most of the PA's I've dealt with. I had one tell me I didn't need surgery on my leg after an ortho said I did. Then the PA got mad when I told him I'd wait until the next ortho came in because he was full of crap. My leg required a plate with 7 screws and a 3 inch pin to repair it. I ran into one PA here that was actually very good, it surprised me.

easyquilts
September 9th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I was a paramedic, and I KNOW what would have happened.... The PA would have gotten her way. Most folks would not have questioned her decision...

OTOH, common sense tells you that the bones would have shifted in a splint.... Why else would the child have had a cast? Evidently the doctor, who knows his business, thought a cast was necessary,... He did not think a splint was an option.

Thank goodness grandma knew HER business.....and had the right connections... You have every right to be disgusted. I am disgusted by this, too....

Lisapc
September 9th, 2013, 06:18 PM
That is the problem with substandard medical professionals. Our parents and most of us were raised to think that a medical staffer no matter what position they hold have all the knowledge and should be treated like Gods.

I have too many horror stories to share but one that really bothered and scared the life out of me at the time was when my hubby gained 37 pounds in 4 days, 18 overnight and the nurse didn't want to call the doctor at 7am because he was due into see hubby at 4 pm. I called him myself and she was not allowed near him again, I never saw her on that floor either.

I wish your grandson a speedy recovery.

PeggyM
September 9th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I would not have known that the PA was wrong. But I would have questioned why the doctor wasn't called. Poor thing. I hope he feels better soon.

Musical_Starling
September 9th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Wow, I'm VERY glad we don't have PA's here, at least not that I know of. Now that doesn't make our health care system perfect, far from, but I'm now very thankful that every time I go to an ER that I actually see a doctor and not someone who just plays one on TV. Yikes.

Glad you fought for your grandson and prayers, hugs, and healing thoughts for that little guy are being sent from my little rock over here :)

alliek
September 9th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I love the P/A in our med office, but I know they always confer with the doc before administering any meds or treatments. I don't know what the average person would do in a situation like that, for sure now I would ask to speak to a doc before allowing treatments. Hope your guy recovers soon and gets comfortable with his cast.

auntiemern
September 10th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Glad she had you to call on. PA's and residents do not get my approval. Every time I have had a resident, I have asked to see the 'doctor' in charge to consult. Hoping you GS has an easy recovery.

bhaggerty
September 10th, 2013, 01:39 AM
How terrible! Most people would not have known to question the PA, so glad you could/did!
Unfortunately, with Obamacare, our system will be forced to use PA's more and more and the doctors less and less.
There are some absolutely awesome PA's out there, but they just do not have as much training as doctors.
In some states, PA's can now practice independently from doctors, whereas in other states they still are required to have a doctor oversee their work.
I cannot vouch for all physicians, but for me personally, it drives me crazy when nurses or PA's "know what I would do" or worse yet, tell patients they talked to me and I said... (when I was NEVER EVEN CALLED!)
( I am a M.D., F.A.A.P., board certified in Pediatrics) Countdown to Obamacare ... 3 months, 21 days.. UUUGGGGHHHH!

Mchelem
September 10th, 2013, 02:20 AM
My daughters best friend took her son to the Dr and saw the PA. She informed him the baby had not had a bowel movement in over 2 weeks, and he told her that was impossible, and she must have "missed" it. She's the only one who changes his diaper. The next day she ended up taking him to the ER, where they did x-rays and found a lump on the end of his spine, blocking his intestines, and that his rectum was very narrow. He went in for an 8 hour surgery to remove a tumor the size of a golf ball, remove part of the coccyx bone and reconstruct the rectum to make it larger. He honestly hadn't had a bowel movement in over 2 weeks!

Why do some Dr's have a God complex and think they know our bodies and our children's better than we do, after knowing us a whole2 minutes??

bhaggerty
September 10th, 2013, 02:45 AM
My daughters best friend took her son to the Dr and saw the PA. She informed him the baby had not had a bowel movement in over 2 weeks, and he told her that was impossible, and she must have "missed" it. She's the only one who changes his diaper. The next day she ended up taking him to the ER, where they did x-rays and found a lump on the end of his spine, blocking his intestines, and that his rectum was very narrow. He went in for an 8 hour surgery to remove a tumor the size of a golf ball, remove part of the coccyx bone and reconstruct the rectum to make it larger. He honestly hadn't had a bowel movement in over 2 weeks!

Why do some Dr's have a God complex and think they know our bodies and our children's better than we do, after knowing us a whole2 minutes??

Not all do. No one is perfect. All parents need to be advocates for their children/family members/selves.
That seems odd to me, you would think that the baby would have had some vomiting and a very extended abdomen and probably did! If something doesn't add up, it doesn't add up. If you are not comfortable with what the PA or physician extender says, you should always be able to request the opinion of the physician.
I find that parents rarely make up/lie about their kids' symptoms and can almost always believe what they say because they are so concerned/worried about their kids. Parents usually take better care of their kids than they do of themselves.

Mchelem
September 10th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Not all do. No one is perfect. All parents need to be advocates for their children/family members/selves.
That seems odd to me, you would think that the baby would have had some vomiting and a very extended abdomen and probably did! If something doesn't add up, it doesn't add up. If you are not comfortable with what the PA or physician extender says, you should always be able to request the opinion of the physician.
I find that parents rarely make up/lie about their kids' symptoms and can almost always believe what they say because they are so concerned/worried about their kids. Parents usually take better care of their kids than they do of themselves.

He's an 8 month old and was screaming at the top of his lungs when the dr palpated his abdomen, and he looked like he was pregnant, his belly was so full.

And I know not all drs do- I have a great new dr who listens to me and asks questions and answers them too. Before that I had a dr who had the attitude that I was not supposed to question her because "I am the doctor and I went to school to be able to tell you that you do not need to have a hysterectomy, you only need an ablation and it doesn't matter if you already had breast cancer and your grandma had ovarian cancer, you will most likely not get it". She refused to even biopsy my ovaries because they looked WNL. I have all the symptoms and have had them for 7-8 months. She wanted to "wait and see if they subside". "These things are just normal for you at your age".
My ca-125 has tripled twice, and my biopsy came back as malignant. But I most likely will not get ovarian camcer, because dr know it all said so.

My new doctor looked over test results, labs, etc, ordered the new biopsy and is just waiting on insurance verification to schedule surgery. You have to be an advocate for yourself as well.

Suzette
September 10th, 2013, 08:33 AM
This is exactly why I don't deal with practices that us PA's. And in emergency situations (like at ER's) I insist on actual Doctor's wherever I go or take my kids. Simply do not take no for an answer (and I am a fairly passive person most of the time, but I turn into a true mama bear when it comes to my kids!)

MillieS
September 10th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Not ALL PAs are bad....When anyone in our family needs to see a doctor we ALWAYS ask for the PA before asking for a doctor..She is wonderful and has all the time in the world for you..She listens to you..My husband has a weird type of hernia in his stomach and went to see the PA. She thought it was strange so right then she called her father who was out golfing to ask him about it and got his opinion. He is a surgeon. Don't put all PAs in the same category..I don't have any doctors or PAs in my family. Just defending the good ones.

New York Sue
September 10th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I'm so glad you were 'on top' of this. Poor kid... :(
I've worked as an RN on nights the last 12 or so years, after working days for 18. (Different hospital, and at my choosing).
Some doctors can be SO mean, rude and INTIMADATING at night (so as not to have their sleep disrupted). I've seen PA's and new nurses do everything they can, NOT to call them, sometimes to the detriment of the patient.
A doctor that behaves in such a manner, is a detriment to his/herself, and their patients. I'm not suggesting this was the case in this situation, but it is a SAD reality of medicine....

cindyinohio
September 10th, 2013, 10:21 AM
This kinda went in wrong direction...I have worked with and seen good PA's...apparently not this one. I find it scary that you don't know who to trust.

Suzette
September 10th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Not ALL PAs are bad....When anyone in our family needs to see a doctor we ALWAYS ask for the PA before asking for a doctor..She is wonderful and has all the time in the world for you..She listens to you..My husband has a weird type of hernia in his stomach and went to see the PA. She thought it was strange so right then she called her father who was out golfing to ask him about it and got his opinion. He is a surgeon. Don't put all PAs in the same category..I don't have any doctors or PAs in my family. Just defending the good ones.

While I totally agree with you that not all PA's are bad (and I don't think that's what most of us were saying anyway), the problem is that they aren't doctors. And for me personally, when I go to the doctor's and am not only paying for a doctor's expertise, but also to get the best care possible, I want the actual doctor treating me.

I believe there is a place for PA's in a doctor's practice, but too often I think the line is blurred at best and crossed at worst by when and how much they should be treating patients. So while there are absolutely good ones out there, when I or anyone in my family has a medical need, I personally want an actual doctor making the call.

SEWBee50
September 10th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I have always opted for the doctor. I am glad you were there to make it right and am frightened for all those who don't have a strong advocate in their corner.