PDA

View Full Version : I Am So Upset, I'm Crazy

Sharyn J
September 7th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I live in a condo. Several weeks ago I smelled a sewer smell. Couldn't find the source of the problem, so the Association sent out a plumber. Ordinarily, it would have been a simple solution, but not for me. Turns out the grease pipe serving 3 units disengaged. Ok, I didn't get too excited. So they removed my stove, cut some drywall out and removed a section of cabinet. Bailed out a ton of really bad stinky water. Not too bad, I thought. It can all be fixed.

After the pipe was fixed, I saw a horrified look on the plumber's face. He said, "OMG, we got MAJOR problems here. Turns out the cast iron pipe under my newly installed oak flooring is cracked and needs to be dug out. Next major crew out here, last Thursday to cut up my beautiful floor, remove the cabinets (and cut up some of them). Remove the counter top and sink (which are now sitting on my patio. My stove unhooked and sitting in the middle of the kitchen. Boxes of everything are piled all over the place. Furniture shoved up against the walls and I can't even get into my bedroom!

Monday, they will have the permits required by the city and come here with jackhammers to start a huge mess! The water will be shut off for 8 hours and maybe Tuesday as well. Once they finish destroying my kitchen, I can then call the carpenters and plumbers to put back my kitchen.

We've been microwaving, pizza pizzazzing and using a small outdoor oven for the past three days. Can't use the grill out there because I have a kitchen counter and sink in the way! My patience is running thin and my vodka bottle is getting short.

To add insult on top of injury, the idiot old fart above me has been calling me incessantly and whining that he's going to inconvenienced! HE'S going to inconvenienced? HE still has a kitchen. HE still has a sink and floor. I cannot even tell you in a lady like manner what I had to say, except for him to stop bothering me and get a life. And that was the nicest thing I said.

Life is good. I know it could be worse. Please say a prayer for me that I don't end up in jail by Tuesday. I'm about ready to loose it.

auntiemern
September 7th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I would be angry and crazy too. Get another bottle of vodka, and a prescription for xanax. Good luck with all the upheaval.

K. McEuen
September 7th, 2013, 07:05 PM
At least they are getting it taken care of quickly. I had a friend whose whole house got torn up because of a drainage leak that managed to infiltrate the heating ducts under the slab. Jackhammered all the floors up to replace those, clean sewage that was standing in them. They were displaced for over a month. It was a mess.

ilive2craft2
September 7th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I totally understand where you are at and you didn't sign up for a kitchen remodel - we just finished week 6 - end is in sight, but we don't have an anticipated finish date - I am guessing at least another 2 weeks. Remodeling is a nightmare to live through even when you choose to do it on your own time frame.

We don't even bother with the microwave or toaster oven anymore - we have to do dishes in the bathroom sink, no counter in there or anything, so I have given up and just ew doing dishes in the bathroom, even when the sink is clean. I am so sick of take out at this point that I could scream.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 7th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I would be cra-cra over this! And to have a fellow tenant blame you because he is inconvenienced? What does he think, you planned this? Glad you told him wher to jam his complaints! And I hope things are put back to normal and SOON! My daughter had to have a kitchen pipe dug up, but luckily it was just in an unfinished basement area. But it does cause quite a mess and cut things off for a while!

MRoy
September 7th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Good gracious! You've got enough stress to make you wild. Hang in there and I hope it all gets fixed really soon!!

grannyann
September 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Oh Sharyn I can understand why you are so upset. Seems like if something goes wrong it goes in a real big way.
I sure hope they get you all fixed up and back to normal in a few days. Hugs Ann

Blondie
September 7th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Sharyn,
You are handling things way better than me. Your neighbor, bless his heart, ain't right. (as in his head) You'll have to look over him, he ain't had no home trainin'.

That being said, if it were me and you wanted something to pay for his inconvenience, once you have your kitchen back, make him some brownies with a box of ex lax in it.

I can't believe I thought that much less am posting it. I reckon my heart needs blessin' . . .

New York Sue
September 7th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Funny, we had this conversation just last night with my contractor friend. He's has done many kitchen renovations and dealt with many problems like this, but he always makes sure at the end of his day, the family has a working kitchen sink and stove.

I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. How does this work with a condo? Are you responsible financially? Because that's seem totally UNFAIR, and this sounds like it it's going to cost $$$$. YIKES !

My Best, Sharyn!

PeggyM
September 7th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Oh, so sorry! I had my share of plumbing surprises when I remodeled my 90-year-old kitchen, but it was my choice. You didn't have a say in this matter, so tough toenails to the neighbor. Ask him if he can grill you a steak.

easyquilts
September 7th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I second replenishing the Vodka! You need it.... I'd be a little crazy, too.... Your situation is awful.... I hope and pray it will all be iver soon, and that you get your kitchen back....and in pristine condition....

Hulamoon
September 7th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Oh my gosh what a nightmare! I can't imagine. I would invite him for dinner and cook him some hot dogs in the microwave.

I hope it ends quickly for you guys.

Gayle8675309
September 7th, 2013, 08:56 PM
That would drive me nuts too! I hope things get put back together quickly!

quiltingtrish
September 7th, 2013, 09:45 PM
LOL at Blondie! 'reckon her heart needs blessing' - I have to remember that one.

Sorry to hear about all the mess Sharyn. I'd be nuts too and I hope they get it all fixed up sooner rather than later. I'll be thinking of you. Know anyone that can make you a good homecooked meal? I wish we lived close enough, I would.

Hugs,

pcbatiks
September 7th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Sharyn.............this does sound like a nightmare.........wish we could do something to help! Would a giant Hershey bar help?! Hope everything in your kitchen will be back in order soon.

Lisapc
September 7th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Your neighbor is obviously an idiot for not realizing that you didn't choose to remodel your kitchen but are having seriously needed repairs done. I agree with Blondie, just don't put in too much ex-lax. Create an inconvenience for him not a trip to the ER.

I hope it gets taken care of soon! You should take a trip to the nearest grocery store to stock up on chocolate and wine!

bubba
September 7th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Crikey! I am so sorry you have to go thru this. One can only hope it will be even nicer than it was done than it was before it all started. Hopefully it will be covered either by the condo or your homeowners. Won't your homeowners pay for you to stay in a hotel during this? They did for my friends.

Quilted Fantasies
September 7th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I hate hate hate you are having to deal with this; it sounds like a nightmare. I wish you weren't so far away; I'd love for you to come hang out while your home is in an uproar. See if your HOA will give you air fare!

Genny
September 8th, 2013, 01:37 AM
WOW...I'm sorry for all you're going thru, what a mess! You need some hugs and a really stiff drink!

Mchelem
September 8th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Being married to a plumber, I hear horror stories like this all the time.

Hopefully they get you fixed up and back to normal soon.

Sew Perfect
September 8th, 2013, 03:39 AM
What a nightmare! I can't imagine going through what you are right now. Chocalate, wine, and when it's all over...Calgon!

Oh...and a muzzle for your neighbor's mouth!

Momofmonsters5
September 8th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Sharyn,
You are handling things way better than me. Your neighbor, bless his heart, ain't right. (as in his head) You'll have to look over him, he ain't had no home trainin'.

That being said, if it were me and you wanted something to pay for his inconvenience, once you have your kitchen back, make him some brownies with a box of ex lax in it.

I can't believe I thought that much less am posting it. I reckon my heart needs blessin' . . .

Haha that's exactly what I would tell him, "well bless your heart" and hang up good old southern send off

Bubby
September 8th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I understand your frustration. At least the problem is being taken care of. Around here it can take 6 weeks to get a plumber to come around. We live in the middle of nowhere. Hang in there...

aliaslaceygreen
September 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM
oh, dear. Vent away! I am having my bathroom redone starting Tuesday. Plumber wanted to come out early and shut things off. Uhm, DUDE? We have ONE tub. Which you are planning on removing. We will shower Tuesday morning before you arrive, thank you very much. Have to get a hotel room or be a guest at my daughters gym or invade the in-laws to shower for three days, so, sorry I am inconveniencing you a bit...
(done the kitchen remodel. NEVER AGAIN!!!)

Hang tough!