PDA

View Full Version : I am outraged at the cost of these things!

Lisapc
September 7th, 2013, 01:11 PM
So about a billion years ago my cousin Mark bought 1/2 the family farm. The family still owns Chelmsford and Westford but he bought Tyngsboro and went out on his own. Tyngsboro is about 5 minutes from me so DD and I thought we would head over today for apple picking. Tyngsboro is the only location that does apples and mine were wiped out by Mama and twins (deer).

NOT! This is a price increase of $3 from last year. I no longer strawberry pick here because the last few years he has pickers go in before the fields open to the public and the public is left with little berries. It caught on this year because for the first time in thier history they had strawberry sales. Never before.

I just can't get over $20 for a peck of apples. What do you pay in your area?

Parlee Farms Current Picking Conditions updated Every Day by 8am (http://parleefarms.com/current.html)

kensington
September 7th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Why don't you talk to your cousin and work something out. Family and all that. I would. It can't hurt. I don't see why he wouldn't do you a favor once a year. He may let you pick for free.

kensington
September 7th, 2013, 01:28 PM
PS... did a search for my area, there are a BUNCH of apple farms but did not find any prices. I need to pick this year as I want to make apple butter. My aunt has always been the Queen of Apple Butter and she is 86 and having health issues. I want to make some and give her some and have some.

bakermom
September 7th, 2013, 01:38 PM
None here state prices either. A lot depends on how the season turns out . fewer apples=higher prices. You don't always save by picking your own. I know I can buy a 10lb bag for $8-10 that's locally grown compared to the $5-6 I paid a couple years ago.
I haven't done the pick your own thing since my kids were little.

Lisapc
September 7th, 2013, 01:51 PM
This is a bumper year for apples around here. Mark and his wife (grouchy woman) have gone up on prices every year. 3 years ago the pumpkins were 59 a pound. Yet it is a great New England farm environment so the rich folks around here go.

As for getting a break on pricing because we are family? Funny! I started their school tour program for them when my daughter was in preschool 19 yrs ago and ran it the following year for them and grouchy had a fit when Mark didn't let me pay for my 4 quarts of strawberry's.

Hubby has pulled out the pole picker and the kids might be able to get a dozen or so high up in our tree. Our baby trees are too small to produce their own yet.

I will go to B.J.'s in about a month and buy 10 pounds for $5.99 and do marathon baking and canning with the kids.

I was asking what the cost was in other areas because my FIL told us when he was in Kentucky that they get blueberries for $1 a pint and here they are $3 a pint. I put in 5 bushes and don't need to buy them anymore so I was curious what apple prices were for other areas.

Oh yeah, Mark sells his corn for $7.25 a dozen. Wow! Another farm the Tynes in Tyngsboro sells tomatoes. I don't know what the price is but my neighbor called me in horror because it cost her $8 for 3 good sized ones.

I now look at my garden as a necessity not a "want".

New York Sue
September 7th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I just checked in my area. 1/2 bushel (is that a peck?) $24. Yowser, that's high! And you pick!!

mom4him
September 7th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I can get organic gala apples for $20 for 20# from my food club. Not sure what a peck adds up to for weight.

shannonsaulter
September 7th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't even know hwere to look..lol the cost of gas to get somewhere would probably be a downfall to

auntiemern
September 7th, 2013, 03:46 PM
May favorite apples are Fuji. I pay any where from $1.89- $2.29 per lb. Not much difference in price that I can see. I just checked our biggest and most available PYO prices, and they are $2.99 lb. So the price you're cousin is charging really isn't that bad.

Lilly
September 7th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Just back from the Farmer's Market. No apples in yet. (This is MN) I like the market because I love to support the small farmers. And their prices are usually competitive because when one farmer charges you $4.00 for a tray of carrots and the other farmers are charging $3.00 a tray or 2/$5.00 guess who's going to have produce left over? I can't tell you apples but I know that most of the produce was being sold 2 trays of varying size depending on the veggie for $5.00 and the corn was $ .50 an ear. It was another blistering day so I'm happy to get home to the cool basement.

bakermom
September 7th, 2013, 06:13 PM
wow 7.25 /doz. for corn? the farm a couple miles from me sells silver queen for 5/doz. they are considered "high" around here but the corn is awesome.

Lisapc
September 7th, 2013, 11:30 PM
A peck is 10 pounds= 1/2 bushel. They raise the prices every year. It really is crazy but I am glad that we are at least not in the Hudson Valley like Sue. Even higher than here.

Sadly it is going to cost me. Next weekend if the weather holds out I will have the baby and Brenna (DD) will take Peter and Kora to my cousins and pick apples. If we go 1/2 on the bushel they will still have the experience of going. I got that "please" face from her tonight and that is difficult to say to and I just said no to her a few days ago. I gave in on this one.

Hulamoon
September 8th, 2013, 12:12 AM
I don't pay anything because we only have papayas and cows and I don't eat meat.:D

toggpine
September 8th, 2013, 03:57 AM
It is crazy. It is almost worth a bunch of us putting together an order and running over the Cascades to pick up the "rejects" from the farms.
We are going to have to spray our apple trees. We have something that burrowed into all of them. So the apples we did get will be going to the goats. The pears and peaches were tasty. We got four Bartlets and one other pear and about 7 peaches. We did buy a 20# box of pickling cukes. The farm store wanted $24 and the farm stand was asking $17. A half-flat of raspberries was going for $7 and a pint of blues was $2 the last time I checked.

Sheena
September 8th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Why won't your cousin let you pick an amount of apples for free?

I've got a crab apple tree and this year there are loads of apples on it. The poor little thing is weighed down almost to the floor! Last year I didn't even have one apple.

I bought a Bramley's Seedling sapling for 6 earlier this year and planted it in a big pot. I didn't realise they grow HUGE and are not particularly self-fertilising, but it's got two small apples on it, so fingers crossed!

We're also having a bumper crop of blackberries this year and I've got 2 gallons of wine on the go.

Raspberries, blueberries and cherries have done well too. Most of the berries I collect have come from hedgerows.

Loonwatcher
September 8th, 2013, 07:20 AM
We are shopping around for prices too. Last year was a very bad year for apples so they were pricey if they were even selling them. We paid about $16-17 a peck and usually buy 2-3 bushels. Macs aren't ready yet here.

Bubby
September 8th, 2013, 07:45 AM
It's just a little early hear for picking apples. Prices have really gone up over the past few years. The last time I bought apples I paid $27 a bushel. For around here that's high.

Libster
September 8th, 2013, 08:35 AM
"A peck is 10 pounds= 1/2 bushel."

I grew up on a farm and a peck = 1/4 bushel. 2 pecks = 1/2 bushel

JCY
September 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I pay $2.99/lb. for organic Fujis at my local groc. store. Since the hubs eats 3 apples a day, that adds up in a hurry! But maybe it's cheaper than medicine? JCY

auntiemern
September 8th, 2013, 05:10 PM
That is what I thought. A peck = 1/4 bushel
"A peck is 10 pounds= 1/2 bushel."

I grew up on a farm and a peck = 1/4 bushel. 2 pecks = 1/2 bushel

Mchelem
September 8th, 2013, 05:23 PM
A bushel is 4 pecks, and is 42-48 pounds

Apple Weights & Measures

Learn How Many Apples in a Pound and How Many Apples in a Bushel.

1 pound equals:

3 medium apples
2 cups sliced

3 pounds equals:

8-9 medium apples
one 9 inch pie

1 peck equals:

10-12 pounds
32 medium apples
3-4~ 9 inch pies
7-9 quarts frozen
4 quarts canned

1 bushel equals:

42-48 pounds
126 medium apples
15~ 9 inch pies
30-36 pints frozen
16-20 quarts canned

Lisapc
September 8th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Well their apples are very large so maybe that is why the weight is different. I don't know I just wish the prices weren't so high and that my cousin wasn't so whipped by his wife. I know that she has taken over the farm stand/PYO end of the farm for the past 5 years and there has been a price increase every year since that happened.

COST FOR APPLE PYO:
•$28 for 1/2 bushel (approx. 20lbs) which allows up to 6 people into the orchard (only infants excluded from the count).
•$20 for 1 peck (approx. 10lbs) which allows up to 4 people into the orchard (only infants excluded from the count).
•An additional person can be added to a bag for $3
•A hayride will take apple pickers to the orchard on Saturdays, Sundays, and Columbus Day (weather permitting).

nyscpa2be
September 13th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I am in apple country of northern NY, so we have a lot of great orchards around us.

One, which is right on the Vermont border, charges $17 for one half bushel, or $30 for two half bushels. They are picking Macs and Cortlands right now, and will have Honeycrisp next weekend.

The other one my family frequents is $1.29 a pound for Cortland, Gala, Golden Supreme, Greening, Honeycrisp, Jonamac, Macintosh and Shamrock.

I would go appleless at some of the prices in this thread.