PDA

View Full Version : Oh for a full night's sleep!

cyndiofthevortex
September 7th, 2013, 02:16 AM
Hi friends, Are you up in the night, too? Here I am, but not because I've woken up as usual. I've been up reading the best book! It is Jennifer Chiaverini's "Round Robin." It the second book in the Elm Creek Quilts series. I must admit the first one had some plodding moments, but I love this next one. I started it around 7 tonight and here it is 1:15 and I'm forcing myself to put it down and try to get some sleep. I very much recommend it. Join our group reading the series or go to your local library and see if they have it. Maybe you'll like it as much as I do.

Have you read a good book lately?

Lisapc
September 7th, 2013, 02:20 AM
Actually there is another book before that one. It is in the Library list I posted earlier. I ordered it and as soon as it arrives I will send it to you. If you go to the author's page she tells you what order to read them in. The ones in between the first and Round Robin were written after but fit in between.

1. The Quilters Apprentice (1999)
2. The Christmas Quilt
3. The Quilters Homecoming (2007)
4. Sanoma Rose (2012)
5. The new Years Quilt (2007)
6. Round Robin (2000)

I am now heading to bed. I want to sleep late because Lil' Miss Kora Mae is coming and the Peter's and her and the dogs will keep me busy.

Good night everyone!

turena65
September 7th, 2013, 04:30 AM
I'm up, as usual on this rainy, wet Friday night..... I really like the DD today, but I have restrained buying it because I spent my wad on yesterday's DD. Although the cat video flushing the toilet was ADORABLE... silly, silly pets... whatever would we do without them?? :)

I finally finished all the pillows my DD requested, and they turned out pretty adorable. I find myself on a roll when I'm sewing projects or a quilt and I don't want to stop. I sometimes have to force myself to A. fix dinner B. spend time with my family C. go to bed. The key has to be balance and I haven't learned how to balance it all yet... :(

The last book I read was the third one from the Hunger Games series. I thought I had better read what my daughter was reading and raving about. It was difficult at first to get into it because of the subject matter, then it just sucks you in and you can't wait to see what happens in the next book. I love it!

We have a busy day in P-town tomorrow (Portland). It's my dad's 78th birthday, so we are meeting up with them because we live so far from my parents that it's the half-way point. I'm so thankful that I still have both of my parents to learn from, enjoy, love... alot of my friends have lost their parents way too young and though I know it is a reality of life, I'm dreading it terribly. They have sacrificed so much for myself and my brothers and I am eternally grateful to them for all they have done for me.

It's Peach season here on the coast and we will be picking up a load of them while we are out and about tomorrow. Nothing better than fresh, delicious, RIPE peaches...mmmmm...It makes me happy, happy, happy!

Have a wonderful night all you un-sleepy heads! Sweet dreams!

Turena

Jean Sewing Machine
September 7th, 2013, 05:22 AM
3:00 a.m. Here, and I would love to work on a quilt backing, but my sewing room where I would need to work is right under my SILs guest bedroom, and I don't want to bother him! Got a couple of jelly rolls in my bedroom, I could do a Jelly roll race quilt top. I have sewing machines all over the place! Turena, we're coming to Portland in October for the MQX convention. Are you going to that event? Wouldn't it be fun to mert up? We didn't get to meet in summer!

easyquilts
September 7th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I think I have read all of JC's books.... She actually came to speak at a gathering in a nearby town... I went, of course. Her talk wa interesting.

I have been up all night..agan. I wish I had taken an Ambien.... I'll be exhausted today... It is now exactly 5am.

Little Finn, the Chihuahua in my avatar, stayed right by my side all night... Wanted to go out...and have breakfast.. about 4:30. He's now fast asleep... Lucky dog...

turena65
September 7th, 2013, 06:06 AM
3:00 a.m. Here, and I would love to work on a quilt backing, but my sewing room where I would need to work is right under my SILs guest bedroom, and I don't want to bother him! Got a couple of jelly rolls in my bedroom, I could do a Jelly roll race quilt top. I have sewing machines all over the place! Turena, we're coming to Portland in October for the MQX convention. Are you going to that event? Wouldn't it be fun to mert up? We didn't get to meet in summer!

Yes! I would love to! I will look at my schedule and see what days I am scheduled to work. I'm sure I can go at least one of those days. What days are you planning on attending?

easyquilts
September 7th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Turena..... You are do lucky to still have your parents with you... Happy Birthday to your dad.... I hope you all have a wonderful time together.

MayinJerset
September 7th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Cyndi, Ever since you began posting in the middle of the night I've begun to sleep longer segments and completely missed posting. Will try to 'see' you tonight.

Was up around 5am but that is too close to wake up time so I didn't look in at the forum. Wanted to make sure DS was up to leave for the 5K he is running in this morning. Thought he said he was leaving at 5 but he was getting up at that time and someone was picking him up close to 6. Last time he lived was us was a summer when he was in Grad School many years ago so I don't remember how to decipher what he says.

Turena, Wish your Dad a Happy BDay from all of us. Loved what you said about your parents. DH and I are your parent's age and hope all of our kids feel that way about us, know DS's 2 & 3 do but sometimes wonder about DS#1. Oh, those peaches sound so good, juicy and sweet just like I love them.

Andrea F
September 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Hmmm, I would love to join but since I am that far away it doesn´t make any sense.

I usually am more of a fantasy and crime reader but I try to get my hands on those books and take a look at it. I also read more psycho stuff than fun books lately due to time constraints and the PhD thing. But I am going to the Turkish beach next Thursday and vacation is always the time I get to read something fun. I refuse to take anything work-like stuff with me. If anyone has suggestions what to read... I am going to take my nook with me (got it for my birthday when we were in NY in may) which I love.

If you maybe are interested in reading fantasy as well, I can recommend everything from Marion Zimmer-Bradley. I think I have almost every book she wrote. And I love the Hollows Series by Kim Harrison too. The last book I read from start to finish might have been "Black Magic Sanction". Will take the newest one with me on vacation :)

cyndiofthevortex
September 7th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Actually there is another book before that one. It is in the Library list I posted earlier. I ordered it and as soon as it arrives I will send it to you. If you go to the author's page she tells you what order to read them in. The ones in between the first and Round Robin were written after but fit in between.

1. The Quilters Apprentice (1999)
2. The Christmas Quilt
3. The Quilters Homecoming (2007)
4. Sanoma Rose (2012)
5. The new Years Quilt (2007)
6. Round Robin (2000)

I am now heading to bed. I want to sleep late because Lil' Miss Kora Mae is coming and the Peter's and her and the dogs will keep me busy.

Good night everyone!
I do have the Christmas Quilt but didn't know where it fit in. Bubby nicely gave me 7 of the first books. Those are the ones I'm sharing with everyone. We'll all have to thank her for them. I'll read the Christmas one next. I'll let you know today which ones I'm missing.

cyndiofthevortex
September 7th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Cyndi, Ever since you began posting in the middle of the night I've begun to sleep longer segments and completely missed posting. Will try to 'see' you tonight.

May, don't you dare try to see me tonight! Tonight will be the night I sleep through and won't even be here! Believe me, sleep is much better than reading a late night post on the forum. We'd all have to slap you upside the head with a wet noodle if you don't get as much sleep as you possibly can. We all need our beauty sleep! Me most of all, I think. This age thing is getting old.

Lisapc
September 7th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Cyndi: Please send me a list of the titles you have. Just go to the Library thread and see what order to read them in.

I have an idea to thank Bubby, I will fill you in on Monday. It involves an international friend!

This is going to be fun!