PDA

View Full Version : Too much fun!

Quilted Fantasies
September 6th, 2013, 11:16 PM
I got to spend the afternoon with my parents today. They are in their 80s and live in a cottage in a retirement community. We had too much fun! I took mom to get her ears pierced. She had pierced ears for years but the holes grew back when she had ear problems a few years ago. Her first grandchild is getting married this month and she wanted to be able to wear earrings. Such a hoot. I had her talked into going to a tattoo parlor to get it done but the jewelry store was closer. Too bad. Imagine the facebook status: "On my way to take my mom to the tattoo parlor. Will post pix of her work later."

When we got back to their place, eight of their friends came by for their daily happy hour...I hope when I'm in my eighties I'm still getting together with friends for a glass of wine in the afternoons! A couple of their friends are in wheelchairs, two others have Alzheimers, one is a 106 year-old retired Presbyterian minister. What an interesting group! It was a sweet time.

After happy hour, mom showed me how she had made some cute little boxes out of greeting cards. They would be perfect gift boxes for gift cards. They were very easy. Here's the instructions: URL="http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Gift-Box-out-of-a-Greeting-Card"]http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Gift-Box-out-of-a-Greeting-Card[/URL]

I love them both so much! What an inspiration they are and how blessed I am to still have both my parents!

Quilted Fantasies
September 6th, 2013, 11:18 PM
How to Make a Gift Box out of a Greeting Card: 10 Steps - wikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Gift-Box-out-of-a-Greeting-Card)

Lisapc
September 6th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Now that is a great idea!

I think it is wonderful to have parents so active at that age. She sounds lively.

ilive2craft2
September 6th, 2013, 11:43 PM
You are a very lucky kid! My MIL was very lively up until the last year of her life - we lost her almost a year ago at the age of 94. She drove until 92. My mother is 75 and is having health issues and is not very involved in anything - I think you really need activities to keep your brain and body active, which will help to keep you happy which helps to keep you healthy.

I so want to follow my MILs example. It sounds like your parents are a lot like my MIL. Enjoy every minute!

pcbatiks
September 6th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Grace-Ann..........sounds like you had a great afternoon with your parents......this made me smile!

Hulamoon
September 6th, 2013, 11:53 PM
What a sweet story! Mine are both gone. So it was nice to hear yours:)

Thanks for the tutorial. I have almost every card I have gotten and told my dd she could use them for crafts. She started to read the insides and said she couldn't cut them up. What am I going to do with them? Read them in my old age?

easyquilts
September 7th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Oh Grace-Ann... Your post made me both smile and tear up a little... I miss my Mom so much... It has been thirteen years, but I still miss her every day.

She did get to see both of my kids get married, though.... And ones two of my five grandsons... She would have loved all those wonderful boys!

Your parents sound like people I would like to know..

Klasien
September 7th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Wauw, that sounds like a wonderful day!

My parents are almost 80 and still so active, I see them as my friends, we hang out, go out for dinner, have a glass of wine....I feel so blessed to have them still around!
I hope we can be like that when we are that age :)

Thanks for sharing your story!

Andrea F
September 7th, 2013, 09:02 AM
How wonderful, sounds like you had a really good time :) My mum died 20 years ago and my father five years ago. We still have my hubbys´ parents but they live pretty far away. So I am happy to have my sisters and their children nearby.