PDA

View Full Version : (Baby Size) Fruit Facts...

HandsomeRyan
September 6th, 2013, 09:17 AM
So my wife has this app on her phone which updates each week and compares the size of our baby to a fruit. A few weeks ago I started making lists of facts about each fruit and posting them to social media as a way for our distant family and friends to share in our excitement about the baby's impending arrival early next year. I figured maybe a group of (primarily) women who spend a lot of time making quilts, many of which end up being given to babies, might also get a chuckle out of what I put together. I didn't start until week 12 but here are the passages I wrote from then until the current week. I plan to keep making these until we reach watermelon or pumpkin or whatever the largest is then I am compiling all of them to give to the baby when he/she is old enough. Sort of a silly idea but at least the child will never have to wonder if it's parents were actually excited about it's arrival or not.

Week 12: The Latin name for the lime is Citrus aurantifolia; this refers to several species and hybrids. Currently, India grows 16% of the worlds limes, with Mexico (14.5%), Argentina (10%), Brazil (8%) and Spain (7%) following behind. It is thought that limes originally came from Southeast Asia, then were spread to Egypt and Africa in the 900's. Moors introduced limes to Spain in the 1200's, and became used throughout Europe. Columbus took limes to the Caribbean in 1493 and they were subsequently cultivated in the Florida region by Spanish explorers. Later, British sailors were to be issued a daily allowance of citrus fruit to prevent scurvy, this is where the nickname 'Limey' comes from. Also interesting to note, Lime Jell-O is the official state food of Utah. Oh, and our baby is the size of one!

Week 13: The peach, Prunus persica, is a deciduous tree which bears a fruit of the same name. Historically the fruits were known as "Persian Apples" because of the misconception among Europeans that the fruit originated from the Middle East/Persia. [they didn't] Peaches symbolize good luck and long life in China where they hold the title of being one of the oldest cultivated fruits in that region with evidence of widespread peach cultivation dating back to at least 1000BCE. Peaches were first brought to this country by Columbus on his 2nd and 3rd voyages to the new world. Large scale cultivation began in the US around 1565 in Florida. Since 1982, August has been celebrated as "National Peach Month" in the United States [so, uh... Happy Peach Month!] Although Georgia is known as "The Peach State" in reality, California produces about 50% of the peaches we enjoy here. Worldwide, China is the largest producer of peaches followed by Italy. Nectarines are peaches which contain a recessive allele which gives them smooth rather than (dominant allele) fuzzy skins. The pit of a peach contains hydrocyanic acid, which is a poisonous substance although it would take consuming several pits to harm an adult. Peaches are considered to be good for digestion and have a mild diuretic effect. Some people even claim that peaches are an aphrodisiac which brings me to my final peach fact- Our baby is the size of a peach!

Week 14: Lemons are a small ellipsoid yellow fruit born of the Cirtus limon tree. Botanically considered a berry, the name is derived from the Persian "līmūn" (لیمو), a generic term for citrus fruit. These trees produce fruit year round and a single mature tree can produce 500-600lbs of lemons annually. Lemons have been cultivated in the Mediterranean region since the first century CE although large scale production did not begin until about the 1500's. Columbus brought lemon trees to the new world (Hispaniola) in 1493. During the California Gold Rush, lemons were in high demand as a way to prevent scurvy and a single lemon would often fetch an enormous sum of money. It was during this time that many lemon orchards were planted in California and Arizona and today this region produces 95% of lemons consumed domestically. The state of California alone produces more lemons annually than all of Europe. (Take that Italian Limóncello) The average lemon contains about 3 tablespoons of juice. During the European Renaissance, fashionable ladies used lemon juice as a way to redden their lips. The juice is also used to prevent oxidization (browning) of fresh cut fruit. At 5% citric acid, it is said that lemon juice can dissolve a pearl. The oil extracted from the peels of lemons is used as a wood preservative, most notably on the fingerboards of stringed instruments such as guitars. The Meyer Lemon, believed to be originated from a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange, was patented by a USDA employee in 1908. During the 1880's and 1890's, Lemon was used as a first name with thousands of boys and girls having this name appearing in the 1900 census. In 2006, the average American consumed just shy of 4 pounds of lemons annually. And of course, my baby is the size of a lemon!

Week 15: The orange, Citrus sinensis, is a citrus fruit which has been in cultivation for about 4500 years. The color orange was named after the fruit. The fruit was named after a Sanskrit word (nāraṅga, नारङगम्), which means fragrant. There are _almost_ no words in the English language which rhyme with orange although there is an obscure botany term which describes a part of a fern which rhymes, sporange. (Go ahead and try to work that into a love poem.) After chocolate and vanilla, orange is the worlds favorite flavor for food and beverages. In many parts of the world oranges are known as "Chinese Apples" however in the USA if you asked for a Chinese Apple you'd either be met with a blank stare or possibly given a pomegranate which sometimes uses that name. Florida produces about 25 billion oranges annually. Oranges, like all citrus fruits, are classified as hesperidium which is a type of berry with a thick leathery flesh. Only 20 percent of oranges are consumed fresh with the other 80 percent being used for juice, pulp, extracts, and preserves. Oranges are considered a symbol of fertility because they are evergreen and they can produce flowers and fruits simultaneously. I suppose fertility is a good symbolic meaning for them because our baby is the size of an orange!

MayinJerset
September 6th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Oh Ryan, You are too much!!! Your baby is in for a very interesting life with you as a parent. Waiting to see what's next on the fruit list for baby size.

Interesting about peach pit being toxic. I used to eat them when I was a kid - looks like an almond but has a bitter taste. Good thing I didn't eat more than one at a time.

Lisapc
September 6th, 2013, 09:40 AM
You are wonderful for doing this for your future child. You are a great Dad already. I hope your wife is feeling great and are you ready to start sewing for that baby?

HandsomeRyan
September 6th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I hope your wife is feeling great and are you ready to start sewing for that baby?

Wife is feeling fine. I think she was having a little trouble "keeping the trains running on time" if you know what I mean but that seems to have resolved itself as we enter the second trimester. She never got morning sickness but she can't stand the smell of seafood. She has also had a little soreness from the tendons stretching. I'm super jealous she started wearing maternity clothing and it looks really comfortable.

Here is a picture of her with the camel I got her to celebrate both surviving the first trimester and her "hump" starting to pop out. She wouldn't let me get a picture of said hump but as you can see she looks happy and I suppose has "the glow".
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/photobucket-4659-1377881420561_zps7971b9ea.jpg

Because you have to be sort of careful calling a pregnant lady's belly a hump, I wrote her a note to go with the camel...

[Mrs. HandsomeRyan],
Congratulations on your hump. Here are some facts about camels to accompany your new protuberance...
► The name camel comes from the Arabic ǧml meaning "beauty". I think you are beautiful, hump and all!
► A camel's hump does not store water, it stores fat. A pregnant lady's hump does not store water, it stores a baby.
► The camel is the only animal which replaced the wheel after the wheel was already established. Likewise, a baby replaced a couple which was already established with a complete family.
► The oldest known camel is Protylopus, was the size of a rabbit and lived in North America between 40-50 million years ago. The oldest known baby in our family is about the size of a lemon and appeared about 3-3.5 months ago.
► While we think of camels as desert animals, they originated as savanna animals but moved to the desert because of pressure from large predators such as lions. Pregnant women are native to air conditioned climates because heat and humidity makes them really cranky and turns them into apex predators within their environment.
► While there are estimated to be about 17,000,000 camels worldwide, there is only one Mini (What we call our baby since we don't know gender yet).
► Camel milk is the basic food of the Somali people. Mothers milk will be the basic food of our precious little baby.
► Baby camels weigh between 60-120lbs and are 4 feet tall at the time of their birth. I can only hope for your sake that our baby is significantly smaller than this!
► In Arab cultures, camels symbolize patience, tolerance, and endurance. All qualities we will need as new parents.
Love,
Ryan

toggpine
September 6th, 2013, 01:13 PM
How much fun!

bubba
September 6th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I remember seeing Drew Barrymore on a talk show after her baby was born. She apparently read the same book as you, comparing the fetus to different fruit, and the was how she and her husband came to name their daughter Olive! I thought it was cute. That was my grandma's name and you just don't hear it anymore, unless it's Thanksgiving!

K. McEuen
September 6th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I would have started worrying at week 14 that my baby had shrunk! In my world peaches are bigger than lemons!

Cute idea. Hey, maybe you should make baby a quilt of fruits to commemorate the journey.

Monique
September 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM
You are too funny.

Evilynn
September 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Your wife does indeed have the glow! She looks amazing! The second trimester is the best, I was never in my life happier than at that point ;)

Enjoy!

Gayle8675309
September 6th, 2013, 04:46 PM
What a cute idea! You are going to make a wonderful dad.

pcbatiks
September 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Great picture of your wife! You better watch out for crankiness when she gets to the watermelon stage! :D

PeggyM
September 6th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Haha. My daughter did this. I had a hard time imagining the squash. (It may have been eggplant - same thing, diffent color.). Enjoy the journey!!

Grandma G
September 6th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I would have started worrying at week 14 that my baby had shrunk! In my world peaches are bigger than lemons!

Cute idea. Hey, maybe you should make baby a quilt of fruits to commemorate the journey.

Great idea, Karen.

Okay, Ryan, get busy!!!

SallyO'Sews
September 7th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Ryan, you crack me like an egg! (that's an expression we use in our family that means you are so funny!)
I love your writing - always entertaining and informative. Can't wait for further installments of the fruit and other comparisons.
God bless you and your beautiful wife and baby!

Mchelem
September 7th, 2013, 03:19 AM
I loved being pregnant so much, I became a surrogate and created 2 happy families!!

Pregnancy definitely agrees with your wife.