PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in the middle of the night when you can't sleep?

cyndiofthevortex
September 5th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Hi everyone who's awake! I am up after a few hours of good sleep. So far I've read two chapters of "The Quilter's Apprentice" by Jennifer Chiaverini. I'm in the book swap group and need to finish it so I can pass it along to the next reader. I am also plotting my next quilt. DH is going away to a Men's Retreat with our church so I have the weekend to sew. I am going to make another Shadow Box quilt in earth-toned batiks, of which I have many. I love that easy pattern. It sews up quickly and has such a nice 3-D effect.

So tell me, if any of you are up, what are you doing and what plans do you have percolating in your brains? Good quilty ones, I hope!

And finally, for your entertainment, I will tell you one of my favorite stories of my 5 year old DGS: Jon just came out eating from a bag of chips he got out of my kitchen cupboard. Hoping to get a polite response out of him, I asked him, "Jon, what should you say to me?" His answer? "I really like these!"

Sew Perfect
September 5th, 2013, 04:06 AM
I just finished up #4 of 12 blocks for one of the QOV quilts I'm working on. Today, I realized that I'm one of the slowest sewers out there. I really need to step up my game if I'm going to meet my goal. I've checked on here a couple of times and also talked to my DH once on the phone since he's at work right now. That's about it for me on this night.

I will make my way to bed now, but will most likely check on here and read some threads and look at show and tell pics while trying to fall asleep.

Oh, and Cyndi...After I saw the feathers you quilted and watched the tutorial, I too, began practicing feathers. Thanks!

Carol336
September 5th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Good middle of the night Cyndi - I've been up for about half an hour......just surfing the net, checking email and dropping by here check up on posts. I'm trying really hard not to get the brain "percolating".......and so far it seems to be working - LOL

I think I'm gonna head back in and try to get some more sleep before I have to get ready for work!!!! I'm still Interim Admin at our church, and while I love love love doing the Lord's work....I miss my retirement. They were interviewing applicants yesterday - so I may be retired again fairly soon.

Hope you get back to sleep soon Cyndi
C

kensington
September 5th, 2013, 04:08 AM
No plans. I worked on Pillow Shams to match a quilt for my daughter today, and now just watching an old movie. I need to get started on my Christmas projects soon. And a fall project too.

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!

Sew Perfect
September 5th, 2013, 04:13 AM
No plans. I worked on Pillow Shams to match a quilt for my daughter today, and now just watching an old movie. I need to get started on my Christmas projects soon. And a fall project too.

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!
Me too, Kensy, me too.

Hulamoon
September 5th, 2013, 04:13 AM
lol @ I really like these. Don't you just love kids. Well it's 9pm here so I'm not doing anything quilty but trying to get motivated. I need to get going on the Santa swap. One of my machines is in the kitchen, my sewing room is upstairs and it's hot. So I'm going to bring some stuff down where it's cooler. I need to bring down my embroidery machine too because that is on the list. Shh don't tell anyone:)

Renate
September 5th, 2013, 04:25 AM
If I cannot sleep and thoughts/Trouble turns around and around in my head, first I try to read and if it does not help I get up.
My Problem than is, I want to be quiet and not disturb my DH sleep, so I cannot do anything noisy like sewing with the machine. Mostly than I am drawing or (please don`t laugh) ironing. I hate ironing so much, that mostly my Body decides it is better to sleep ...

Hulamoon
September 5th, 2013, 04:42 AM
I love to iron. If I can't think that's what I do. lol

Renate
September 5th, 2013, 04:44 AM
I love to iron. If I can't think that's what I do. lol

Lorie, may I invite you to a visit at my to-iron-mountain? Inbetween I am cooking a good meal, that`s what I like more

bkthomas
September 5th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Hi Cyndi, you still here? I am doing my usual thing this time of night - playing around on my computer.....Puzzles with Friends.....Puzzled Hearts.....and checking in here to see if I missed anything.
I am happy to say that I got my sewing table all cleared off and cleaned up and started on a special quilt that I am doing for my Sis-in-Law! My late husbands sister - she is going through cancer treatments. I will post pics after I have given it to her. I will have to wait to do that because now the only way I have of getting my pics to my computer is by sending them to Facebook then onto my computer and she is on Facebook a little each day.
Sleep well Cyndi...!!!!

turena65
September 5th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Well, it's 1230 am here and I'm still wide awake. My first night off after working 5 nights in a row and since I slept some this morning I'm not tired now....ahhh the fun of being a night shifter.

I've been working on some cute pillows for my soon to be GS that my daughter requested to go with the elephant quilt for the nursery. I watched the cute tutorial Jenny and her guest did on the pleated pillow so I did one of those tonight and plan on completing 2 more pillows of a different style. I've never made my own piping before and as I started that tonight (for one of the pillows) I realized I didn't get a zipper foot when I bought my new Janome. I guess I will pick one up tomorrow. You kind of need a zipper foot to do it. I'm also planning the quilts I would like to get done for each of my kids (and their spouses) for Christmas next year. I figured it will probably take me a year to get them all done in time. My next project in the works is making quilts and other baby goodies for our son and his wife who are expecting their first little one in March. I'd like to find out what they are having before I get started, which should be very soon.

My husband is still looking for a new job, we never dreamed it would take him this long but his field is specialized so I'm confident it WILL happen sooner than later. In the meantime our home is on the market and we haven't had much interest as yet, we will be listing it with an agent soon so hopefully the right buyer will come along... I'm just keeping busy with work and sewing/quilting on my days off. Lots of babies being born at the hospital keeps us hopping. I really do have the best job in the world! :)

Have a wonderful night all you fellow night owls!!

Hulamoon
September 5th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Lorie, may I invite you to a visit at my to-iron-mountain? Inbetween I am cooking a good meal, that`s what I like more

Sure! I will exchange a good meal for ironing:)

Granny Judy
September 5th, 2013, 05:04 AM
I was just awakened by a Cat who thinks my snoring is an invitation to join me for some scratches. Of course it wakes me when she walks up and down on my body!! Now it is her sleeping in my bed and me Wide Awake.

I have a new Ipod and can listen to a book or two as I putter around. Need to mark my quilt so I can get the pattern sewn for quilting. I've done the SITD part, now I'm wanting to add a vine with leaves at the top and bottom, then do a flower on the body. It's my first time to try out the Stencils for quilting patterns. I am so new at this. I did a small mat and everyone loved it. So now I've just got to try something bigger. Only problem is, the pen I use to mark the pattern--- well it just disappears after awhile and I have to remark my vines...AGAIN. (its the water soluble pen)

Andrea F
September 5th, 2013, 06:31 AM
When I canīt sleep, sometimes I watch tv shows on my computer. Or I read a book. Or I work for my research project. I have to read lots of studies and the statistic stuff needs to be done. When I was still studying I did a lot of my work at night when the house is quiet because everyone else is asleep and nobody came and disturbed me every five minutes. And sometimes I clean the house. I have always been a nightowl and I donīt see that change any time soon.

easyquilts
September 5th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Cute story...

I always take Buddy...my iPad....to bed with me...I read, play Scrabble, etc... As I go to sleep. So, if I wake up, and can't go back to sleep, I just pick up Buddy.....in fact, that's what I am doing now!

nana margaret
September 5th, 2013, 06:44 AM
I have insomnia so wait until I'm dead on my feet before I go to bed which is rarely before 2am. I would just toss and turn and keep hubby awake too if I went before. I don't watch television (mind you, Strictly Come Dancing starts on Saturday so will definitely be tuning in for that!) so tend to either play games on the computer, watch tutorials or check in here to see what's happening, I never post anything because I don't want anyone to know I'm still up!:lol:

Jean Sewing Machine
September 5th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Darn, I missed the middle of the night meeting because I WAS SLEEPING! Wazzup with that?

dwil23
September 5th, 2013, 08:40 AM
A little late to the game here - but in my current living arrangement, I usually just stay in my room and read here and look at fabrics and ideas online. Soon I hope to have an actual sewing room where I can go when I can't sleep and actually be productive. Being a night shift worker, on my two nights off, I am usually awake at some point during the night and wish I could sew without getting the dogs barking and the whole house awake.

And I second the "hurrier I go, the behinder I get".

MayinJerset
September 5th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Darn, I missed the middle of the night meeting because I WAS SLEEPING! Wazzup with that?

Me too. Jean we seem to be on the same sleep pattern lately. I was up around 3 for a potty stop and since our 'office' is right next to the bathroom I usually stop there and get on the computer but last night I was really tired and went back to sleep until 6:30. I'll try to catch Cyndi tonight.

As to what I do when I'm up during the night, mostly check out messages, etc. on computer, do a lot of my paper work, ie paying bills and filing stuff, fold clothes I left in the dryer, empty the dishwasher or go over kitchen floor. Don't want everyone to get the impression I do all of those things late at night, just one is enough for one night.

Mchelem
September 6th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Hi everyone who's awake! I am up after a few hours of good sleep. So far I've read two chapters of "The Quilter's Apprentice" by Jennifer Chiaverini. I'm in the book swap group and need to finish it so I can pass it along to the next reader. I am also plotting my next quilt. DH is going away to a Men's Retreat with our church so I have the weekend to sew. I am going to make another Shadow Box quilt in earth-toned batiks, of which I have many. I love that easy pattern. It sews up quickly and has such a nice 3-D effect.

So tell me, if any of you are up, what are you doing and what plans do you have percolating in your brains? Good quilty ones, I hope!

And finally, for your entertainment, I will tell you one of my favorite stories of my 5 year old DGS: Jon just came out eating from a bag of chips he got out of my kitchen cupboard. Hoping to get a polite response out of him, I asked him, "Jon, what should you say to me?" His answer? "I really like these!"

I sneak over to the studio and sew, sew, sew.