PDA

View Full Version : A completely random question

PeggyM
September 4th, 2013, 11:43 PM
I've been on the job for 24 years. I put in for vacation Christmas week last year, but withdrew it out of consideration for the new girl who wanted to travel back home to see her kids/grandkids. (I left two weeks of un- carryovable vacation behind) . I immediately blocked off Christmas week 2013 (a full year in advance). Today she she says, I see you're off that week, that might be a problem. Question: is that my problem, or hers? I know I'm not travelling, but that doesn't mean I don't have plans. I get 4 weeks a year, but I'm never able to take them. I haven't even had a sick day in two years. Am I wrong to want to stand my ground? I think I've left 7 weeks of leave over the last 3 years.

Kgrammiecaz
September 4th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Take your days you deserve them. Never leave days on the table. They are part of your paycheck. A lot of people dont think of it that way. Vacation is a paid benefit. Go and enjoy and quilt :)

Lisapc
September 4th, 2013, 11:51 PM
It is absolutely not your problem. I don't care if you do nothing but watch TV and eat bon bons for all of your time off while wearing a dirty diaper. It is your time off! Please take it.

It sounds like she is expecting you to give up your time again. Don't do it! Please don't do it? You should take all the time off you earn.

PM me her number and I will make sure she understand you deserve your time off and last year was a one time deal!

ilive2craft2
September 4th, 2013, 11:56 PM
You were too nice to give it up last year. It is her problem, not yours. She can't. expect to get it off every year - especially when she is the newbie. Please stop giving your company your time. You have earned the time, you need to take it. It makes you a better worker when you get some time off. Says the person typing who is exactly like you and ends up sick from pushing too hard on too many fronts.

This last year I had taken quite a few sick days (bronchitis and taking care of my MIL and then for funeral time) and they converted my left over vacation days into my sick day bank, but I know they won't do it again. I get 4 weeks and since I work for a school district, I get spring break off, so that is really 5 weeks. I do use quite a few days during Winter Break, since that is considered working time for our dept. We started new July 1 and I don't think I have used a day yet. Think I am going to start planning some Friday sewing days in the near future. Otherwise, I may run away.........

K. McEuen
September 4th, 2013, 11:57 PM
It's a problem for her, not you.

If I were you, I would start taking every Friday or Monday off as a vacation day, just so you don't lose them at the end of the year.

PeggyM
September 4th, 2013, 11:59 PM
It is absolutely not your problem. I don't care if you do nothing but watch TV and eat bon bons for all of your time off while wearing a dirty diaper. It is your time off! Please take it.

It sounds like she is expecting you to give up your time again. Don't do it! Please don't do it? You should take all the time off you earn.

PM me her number and I will make sure she understand you deserve your time off and last year was a one time deal!

Thanks, Lisa. I feel like I was considerate last year, she should be this year. I didn't want to pull rank. I'm going to be shopping, wrapping, cookie baking, cand making. I have NEVER taken off Christmas week, in all those years!

PeggyM
September 5th, 2013, 12:05 AM
It's a problem for her, not you.

If I were you, I would start taking every Friday or Monday off as a vacation day, just so you don't lose them at the end of the year.

I've considered that, but it's never a "good time". Just so you understand, I am not underpaid or mistreated, just sometimes you want a break.

Lilly
September 5th, 2013, 12:09 AM
If you give in to her this year it will be two years and that sets a dangerous precedent. She will feel it is her right to have that time and you will NEVER get Christmas off. Also it sounds like she is a bully and those types will take whatever they can squeeze out of people. You especially need to stand up to those types. Even if she comes along with some fake excuse to put pressure on you, stand your ground. Keep your boundrys. I'm usually a nice person but when I'm being taken advantage of I get pretty fiesty.

New York Sue
September 5th, 2013, 12:12 AM
I seem to be having this same problem, of late. NEWBIES don't get it.
RANK has it's priveledges.
Bottom line.

PeggyM
September 5th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I forgot to add, she had Grand jury duty for 5 weeks, and returning every other week one day to close up loose ends. But, I know how I would feel if the Grand Jury sucked up my personal time. Thank you, everyone! I'll be off Christmas week. I have cookies to make. (Btw, she's a lovely woman, and we get along womderfully. That's what makes this such a dilemna.)

SallyO'Sews
September 5th, 2013, 12:26 AM
You should always take all of your vacation days. Your co-worker will surely take all of hers. If you get four weeks, and she only gets one, well, when she's been there for 24 years, then she'll be able to enjoy four weeks of her choosing. You might say, "Oh, I'm so sorry, but last year I worked during that week, so I'll be needing to take it this year." Say it in a kind and understanding tone, but stand your ground. If she continues to bug you about it, go to your supervisor.

Also, is it legal in your state for them to let jury duty eat your vacation time? I don't think it is here in CT.
I could be wrong, though. Hmmm, gonna' have to look that up in my employee's handbook.

PeggyM
September 5th, 2013, 12:34 AM
You should always take all of your vacation days. Your co-worker will surely take all of hers. If you get four weeks, and she only gets one, well, when she's been there for 24 years, then she'll be able to enjoy four weeks of her choosing. You might say, "Oh, I'm so sorry, but last year I worked during that week, so I'll be needing to take it this year." Say it in a kind and understanding tone, but stand your ground. If she continues to bug you about it, go to your supervisor.

Supervisor. Unknown terminology. It's a two lawyer law firm. Probate, estate planning and corporations. Two of the most non-confrontational/wonderful guys you would ever want to meet. I'm sure it'll come down to "you two work it out". Thanks to you all, I have! (((((Hugs))))

auntiemern
September 5th, 2013, 12:34 AM
She may be a lovely woman and even a friend of sorts. But seniority rules. You already have it written down. It is NOT your fault she had Grand Jury duty.

bubba
September 5th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Where I work, seniority gets you two things. The shift you want and the vacation you want. Exactly why I work days and take Christmas (and New Years and sometimes Thanksgiving) off every year. That is just how things are. The sooner this new employee realizes your world does not revolve around her, the better.

pcbatiks
September 5th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Your co-worker may be a lovely woman............but so were you by giving up your Christmas vacation time last year. You've earned your time off.......you already have it scheduled. If she questions you just tell her you have some family things planned and leave it at that. :)

Hulamoon
September 5th, 2013, 01:34 AM
I'm in agreement with everyone else:) Me and dh worked for the same hotel and we each gave up two yrs vacation and sick day's so we could take a month off to go New Zealand. No one was going to take that away from me!

Then I worked at another that didn't have a carry over. They had horrible policies.

Precious1
September 5th, 2013, 01:41 AM
I was going to tell you that if she mentions it again say "yes I am and plans are made". Also, are your vacations paid? If they are, it's understandable that you are working at to attorneys office, but NEVER throw money away by not taking your vacation time. Either, have them compensate you for the vacation weeks not worked the year before or TAKE YOUR VACATION. Tomorrow is not promised, yes we all need to work to take care of our financial responsibilities, but the truth of the matter is, we will die and the bills will still be there. So take a day off. Smell the flowers, look at the sky and the trees. Enjoy what God created and sew some quilts!! :)

Madeforyouinma11
September 5th, 2013, 01:46 AM
You deserve your vacation time. Everyone has to work up the ladder and you have done your time. It's time for you to start taking your vacations and not worrying about the other person....their time will come.
My husband is a policeman and when he was single he used to work all of the holidays voluntarily so that all the family guys could spend the holidays with their young children. Now that we are married and have my children and granddaughter, he takes all the holidays off. He gets 7 weeks (42 days)a year, and has seniority on his shift. He looks at it like he did his time and his good deeds and now it's his turn...you should do the same.

MayinJerset
September 5th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Working in a small office does have its problems but as others have said you are the senior member of the support team and if you put in for Christmas vacation first it is yours. A small office staff should try to accommodate each other's plans but that doesn't mean one person gets everything they want. You and the new gal could alternate holidays.

Please take all of your vacation time as it is part of your annual income, you don't want to throw good money out the window. You don't have to Have Plans to take some time off. I know it always seems like it isn't a good time but if your use that as your guide line you should be at work everyday of the year regardless whether your are sick, have a family emergency, bad weather or need to take care of personal business.

Iris Girl
September 5th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Stand your ground, You changed for her last year this year is your turn. The problem is hers not yours. You deserve after 24 yers to the time off you want.

Andrea F
September 5th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Im in line with everyone else here. You need your vacation and should take every single day of it. You deserve it. It was very nice of you to let her go on vacation last christmas and now it is your turn.

Tanya D
September 5th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Supervisor. Unknown terminology. It's a two lawyer law firm. Probate, estate planning and corporations. Two of the most non-confrontational/wonderful guys you would ever want to meet. I'm sure it'll come down to "you two work it out". Thanks to you all, I have!

I work in a small office with a boss that is quite similar in his thinking. Very laid back, casual, easy going. Nothing ruffles his feathers and if you are upset about something, he'll listen but he won't tell you what to do.

Take your vacation, enjoy your vacation, doing whatever you want to do on that vacation.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
September 5th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I've worked really hard for 25 years and never given up a single day of vacation. It's against my religion. :-)

You can smile when you say it, but say no.

Dena1219
September 5th, 2013, 06:54 PM
If you put in for your time off in a timely manner and it was approved then seems to be her problem not yours. You earned your vacation time take it. :)

dwil23
September 5th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Absolutely not your problem! You have been there for 24 years and a "new girl" wants you to take a back seat? I don't think so! You were more than considerate last year, especially since you lost that time off, - she should appreciate that. Unfortunately so many people today think that being off of work whenever they want to be is their right. Trust me. I know. I had a coworker try to shame me into giving up my leave this past summer. We had plans to take my son to a college weekend in Charlotte. He pouted and threw himself around the place, sighing about his poor wife not being able to go on vacation because "that was the only week they could go". My plans had been made and paid for long in advance. Not only that, but this particular person had NO LEAVE time left. No annual, no sick leave. Zip. Zilch. Nada. We get five weeks a year of annual leave alone that he had already used! Not to mention all of his sick leave and goodness only knows how much LWOP. Bottom line, he called in sick to go on vacation, (pulled out the old overused FMLA note). To the beach. Forty five minutes away. Are you kidding me? He could have driven back and forth and his "poor wife" would have had her vacation, too. Stand your ground. Maybe in the future you can take turns with Christmas off, but for goodness sake, don't give up your time off!

Okay got that off my chest!

Lisapc
September 5th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I seem to be having this same problem, of late. NEWBIES don't get it.
RANK has it's priveledges.
Bottom line.

The last two jobs I had I made very clear what time off I needed and that I didn't expect to get paid but I wouldn't be there on certain dates. They chose to hire me and give me the job anyway. Neither place had a problem with with it and this woman should have done that if she wanted to never work the holiday.

easyquilts
September 5th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Stand your ground! It 's her problem.... Sounds like she might try to guilt you into coming in.... Don't. It's YOUR time off.

aliaslaceygreen
September 5th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Well, it is unanimous. YOU get Christmas week off. There is some very good advice here, and PLEASE, take it! I read the verse in your signature line and it sounds to me like you are the kind to always do for others, even to your detriment... don't do it... be good to YOU

Monique
September 5th, 2013, 08:59 PM
I echo what every one has said. Take the time off that you have booked off. She will just have to live your decision. HER problem.

Sew Perfect
September 5th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Your vacation days are day you've earned. You were responsible enough to put in for Christmas wk off a year in advance. If no one else thought to take action and plan for their own vacation time in advance, that is on them...not you. My husband puts in a year in advance also. Like you, he has seniority and is responsible. He stands his ground, and so should you.

Bubby
September 5th, 2013, 09:12 PM
It's definitely NOT your problem. She acts like it's a tradition for you to forfeit your earned vacation for her convenience. Stand your ground...you deserve what you've earned!

PeggyM
September 5th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Thank you, everyone. I'll be standing my ground to have off Christmas week. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Wish I could bake you all cookies :) I get the message that guilt is for the guilty.

MartinaG
September 5th, 2013, 09:41 PM
You do not need to justify what you are going to do on YOUR time off and why you are taking it. It was nice that you let her have it last year but this is your turn. Take the time and don't worry.

phoots
September 6th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Peggy, STAND YOUR GROUND!! My BF has been at his job for 24 yrs and he currently get 24 wks vacation. Always take your vacation because you need that time away to recoup!! Before losing my job 3 yrs ago, I hadn't taken a vacation for years because it was not offered to temp employees. Next year I should be starting a new job and I hope to be getting vacation. I've got so many weekend trips planned! Peggy, take your vacation!!!

Pam in Vegas