PDA

View Full Version : is there such a thing as 'right-footed' ala right handed?

Pandabear
September 3rd, 2013, 03:22 PM
This morning I slammed my little toe on my right foot pretty hard into the bathroom door jamb. This led to my toe bruising pretty badly. I don't think it's broken but it looks awful.

Anyhow... I am working on a quilt today and had to use the foot pedal with my left foot instead of my right. I must be 'right footed' because it's a little more difficult then it should be!! When I need to stop my machine I keep lifting my right foot and wondering why the needle is still going.

It might be time to work on something else for awhile today before I hurt myself further.

Grandma G
September 3rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
Oh, gosh, I'm sorry for your pain but couldn't help laughing at your "...needle is still going..." comment. Hope your toe gets better soon! If you think about it we also drive with our right foot so it is pretty well ingrained in us to automatically use our right foot. Kind of like saying "stop, stop, stop..." instead of lifting our foot when trying to stop sewing.

Doloris
September 3rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
hope yours turns out better than mine did. kicked a door a few weeks ago. It's better now, but still hurts.
54978 54979

Pandabear
September 3rd, 2013, 03:46 PM
Dang.. that looks painful Doloris! Mine isn't that bad. The bruising is, so far, confined to the little pinky toe. I won't be putting shoes on anytime soon though.

Doloris
September 3rd, 2013, 03:49 PM
it's been about a month since I did that and still cant wear tight shoes. Mostly flip flops and old stretched out tennis shoes.

SuzyQue
September 3rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
This is how my toes and feet look about once a year or so. I can't stand shoes, so I am often bare foot or sock footed. I often kick a piece of furniture or a door frame. Ouch! I am sorry about your pain and hope it heals quickly! My hubby is always telling me to wear shoes......no sympathy from him. And Yes......I think you are right-footed.......I was told to not drive , by mo Dr., when I broke my foot a few years back as in an emergency I might not be able to remember to brake with my left foot!

Pandabear
September 3rd, 2013, 04:49 PM
I too am bare footed all the time by nature. I hate shoes. I own three pairs. Sneakers, snow boots and the sandals I just got for the beach.

Driving isn't a problem yet because I haven't learned how. That will be changing soon.... I'm in my 40's and have to learn and don't want to and am scared to death. But have to is really HAVE TO. So I will. Be prepared for another post in the future begging for good thought so I don't go drive over a cliff or something while learning.

kelliedi
September 3rd, 2013, 05:20 PM
ok ladies don't go into shock..... but on my machines that have the small foot pedal i don;'t use my foot..... i use my hand...YEAH YOU READ RIGHT... because mine is about the size of a mouse so i feel like i con control it better than with my foot.

kensington
September 3rd, 2013, 05:40 PM
To answer your question... Yes, I am right footed. I always kicked a ball with my right foot, kick ball, soccer or whatever... right footed here. '

OUCH on that foot girlfriend! OUch Ouch!

turena65
September 3rd, 2013, 05:46 PM
ok ladies don't go into shock..... but on my machines that have the small foot pedal i don;'t use my foot..... i use my hand...YEAH YOU READ RIGHT... because mine is about the size of a mouse so i feel like i con control it better than with my foot.
Hahaha... my youngest daughter is a paraplegic, she is 15 years old and her legs are useless to her. She learned to sew the traditional way prior to becoming paralyzed, but now she just places the foot pedal on the table in front of the machine and uses her right forearm to control the speed so she can still use her hands to guide the fabric. It works really well and she received all blues in the county and state fairs! You should try it Doloris, at least until the pain subsides... :)

bubba
September 3rd, 2013, 07:46 PM
Yes, there is a difference!!! I have not been able to use my right foot to sew since last October! Just recently, I can use it again with my Singer, but there is no way I can with Matilda. This I know because Saturday night I did and I'm still suffering from it!

nyscpa2be
September 3rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
OK, possible stupid question. In America, the right foot is the gas and brake foot, and the left foot is the clutch foot. Is that different overseas, especially in countries where drivers are in the right hand seat?

Pandabear
September 3rd, 2013, 08:39 PM
Ok ladies.. this is how bad my memory has gotten. My hubby heard me telling my mom about my toe. Afterward he says "Don't you have a button on your machine that turns it on and off to sew?"

Great googly moogly!! My Brother machine CAN do that! I unplug the foot pedal and hit the button to start or stop the needle. AND I have one of those knee lifter bars that will stop the needle too.

I swear, I am losing my mind.

SuzyQue
September 4th, 2013, 01:23 AM
My machine has this button, too.............but not all do..............and I forget I have this button all the time!!! Yesterday I bound a small quilt and today I realized I have 2 sets of those nifty clips to hold the binding in place as I sew. Do this all the time!!!

ilive2craft2
September 4th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Your poor toe and Delores' poor foot!!! I didn't realize that quilting was a contact sport. Hope you are both on your way to healing!

My babylock has the button and I don't use the foot pedal. In fact, I forgot it one weekend when I was sewing with my SIL and she was amazed by it - takes a little practice, but I do ok now. I should try the knee lift, but just haven't bothered.

easyquilts
September 4th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Another "ouch!" Been there, dne that, so I know how you feel..... It will be tender for a long time...

Yes, I think we are right or left footed... I wonder if left footed people fnd it awkward to drive with their right foot???

easyquilts
September 4th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Pandabear.... Congratulations on deciding to learn to drive... You'll be just fine, my mom was in her forties when she learned... You can do it!

Andrea F
September 4th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Ladies, I hope your feet/toes heel very quickly. I know how painful it is. I ran with my little toe against the couch several years ago and had a craze in the bone. After being done with giggling at me because I managed to crash it at the COUCH, they had it taped together with the toe beside it. Walking was a real pain and I was delivering newspapers at that time every morning. Very unpleasant.

My Brother has a button to start and stop sewing as well but I donīt use it. I tried it and feel like I am not fast enough to get the needle stopped where I want it to stop. And I need both hands to guide the fabric. Perhaps I should practise a little bit, just in case ;)

You can definitely be right or left footed as you are left or right handed. The brain is organized differently in left handers than in right handers. I wouldnīt even try to hit the brake in my car with my left foot, it has no sensitivity (if one can say so) and Iīm pretty sure that I wouldnīt be able to remember that I need to do it with the left foot.

Doloris
September 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I am left handed, but about the only thing I HAVE to use my left hand for is writing. I use my rotary cutter in either hand ( I love the stick ones cause you just flip them over for the other hand) I eat with my right hand. Can run the sewing machine with either foot. I even broke my left wrist once and since I was on a bowling league I learned to bowl with my right hand. I didn't have as high an average, but I wasn't totally embarrassed either. Had foot surgery and drove with my left foot. Not far as it was kinda awkward. right foot had to be tucked back against the seat as it kept getting in the way.

Grandma G
September 4th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Ok ladies.. this is how bad my memory has gotten. My hubby heard me telling my mom about my toe. Afterward he says "Don't you have a button on your machine that turns it on and off to sew?"

Great googly moogly!! My Brother machine CAN do that! I unplug the foot pedal and hit the button to start or stop the needle. AND I have one of those knee lifter bars that will stop the needle too.

I swear, I am losing my mind.

Mine does, too, but that doesn't mean my mind won't be pressing down with my right foot anyway. Between the option of foot peddle vs. button and knee lifter vs. using my hand to lift the presser foot I am having to re-train my wee little brain an awful lot.

MayinJerset
September 4th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Oh so many hurt toes! Me too, Bought a pair a terry flip flop slippers with a thick foam inner sole, oh so comfy. Found out the hard way that the thong that goes between my toes wasn't attached through the foam inner sole to the bottom of the slipper. Should have thrown them away when I first noticed that my feet were slipping and sliding all over the place but No I didn't and I ended up sliding and the thong pulled one of my middle toes so much that it turned black for a day and then just bruised for the rest of the week. Back to Barefoot Gal for me.

To get back to the original posting question, I've tried to use my left foot on the peddle but it's uncomfortable. Many years ago my MIL gave me her old White that had a knee thingy to start and stop the machine, now that was really nice but never saw that feature on any other machine.