PDA

View Full Version : How tobacco cured my GUILT issues in purchasing fabric

lourixe
September 3rd, 2013, 07:34 AM
As some of you, I live in the country and must stock.

So here we are, first day in the month, DH and I visit his parents in town and go shopping.
I needed some Perle thread for cross stitching... and at the LQS I spent 30,00 in some FQ I liked (without any specific project in mind, but it is MY money). Then, back on the street, guilt and shame came: patchwork seems to me a truly expensive addiction.

Then DH enters the tobacco shop for his cigarettes. Stock for the month: 180,50 !!!

Whose addiction is worst? Do I REALLY need to ask?

Blondie
September 3rd, 2013, 07:49 AM
Years and years ago when I quit smoking, I would take the money I would have spent on cigarettes and put it in a jar. I was amazed at how quickly it added up and I could do something fun with it. For those still desiring to quit, it may be a good incentive?

Jean Sewing Machine
September 3rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
I used my late husband's addiction to tobacco very many times as a foil when he complained about my various purchases! At least your fabric makes something useful and doesn't just go up in smoke!

mamaquilt
September 3rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
@lourixe,

you 're lucky to live where you do, because up north here, you'd pay a lot more for those cigarettes.
Better buy fabrics instead.

Bubby
September 3rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
I agree with jean...at least you have something enduring to show for your purchases. Cigarettes go up in smoke!

MayinJerset
September 3rd, 2013, 09:15 AM
I think you needed to get yourself a few more FQ's.

About 25 years ago DH took a behavior modification course to stop smoking, has been smoke free ever since. One of the tricks was to put your weekly ciggie money in a jar which he still does and uses on our trips, etc. Been trying to get him to up the amount to what he would pay today, boy that would pay for a Big Vacation in a very short time.

Lisapc
September 3rd, 2013, 10:11 AM
When I was a kid my mother and the neighbor lady quilt smoking around the same time. The neighbor lady saved her money to throw herself a big party on the one year anniversary. My mother saved that money for something she said she wanted but didn't know what it was yet. She ended up buying onyx jewelry and a new sewing machine. My workhorse mechanical and the jewelry she still wears. That party, it was the only one they ever had so I hope it was fun!

Sheena
September 3rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Don't feel guilty. It's not that expensive.

And you DO have something to show for it.

Sheena
September 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Oh Lourixe! You naughty girl, I've just seen what you've bought. Fancy putting a piccie up of your big sin. I think you should feel very guilty indeed.

lourixe
September 3rd, 2013, 12:35 PM
Oh Lourixe! You naughty girl, I've just seen what you've bought. Fancy putting a piccie up of your big sin. I think you should feel very guilty indeed.

Well, I don't think you have, for I haven't posted pictures of my last purchase yet. What you saw in my album is my HUGE purchase from M* last spring, where I invested all I had saved during the winter. And THAT I didn't feell guilty at all of, for it was money I desserved to spend on myself, as even DH said. My options were either fabric OR a new TV, and I chose this... (for those that are curious of what Sheena is lauging at)
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/members/lourixe-albums-fabric-picture54958-spring-2013-msqc-order.jpg

And it cost me... the equivalent of DH 3 months of cigarettes!

Sheena
September 3rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Oh I see. So you thought you needed MORE. You are even naughtier! I am insanely envious, just incase you hadn't noticed.

You have chosen fabrics I would have chosen myself. Have you used them all yet? I'll have a peep in your albums right now.

time: 16.37

nyscpa2be
September 3rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, my parents have this disagreement all the time. Dad thinks spending money on restoring tractors is ok, because he's bringing back a tradition. Or spending money on fuel to go to over 20 tractor pulls a summer. But he gets upset if money is spent on fabrics, because he doesn't value the final product.....

And man, that is a haul!!!

Sheena
September 3rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Lourixe, I love the carrot thingies. Are they potholders? It's difficult to tell the scale.

I like your album showing your home and garden. You have inspired me to think about putting piccies of mine in the gallery too. I think it's nice to see where our friends live and what they do, especially as it's unlikely we'll ever meet.

Terri
September 3rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
Well, neither DH or I smoke....but oh my, if I had only half of the money my dear Dad spent on cigarettes over his lifetime I could buy all of us fabric for years!!!! My father began smoking when he was 5 (YES, FIVE years old!!!). When I asked him what he smoked, he said "field blossom (whatever that is) & corn silk wrapped in newspaper! Dad passed at 83 1/2 yrs....so he smoked for 78+ years!!! Granted cigarettes were cheap when he started, but he was a 2-3 pack per day smoker for years. Even after open heart surgery at age 69 and being told he needed to stop.....he cut back to about 3 to 4 cigarettes a day, but by the end of his life his cigarette smoking was all he had left, so he was back up to about 1 - 1.5 packs per day. That's A LOT of $$$$$!!! If anyone should have had lung cancer, it should have been him. He did have COPD and survived prostate cancer, as well as the quadruple bypass....but no cancer. Still miss him so, even after 3.5 yrs. I'll take fabric any day. :)

lourixe
September 3rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Lourixe, I love the carrot thingies. Are they potholders? It's difficult to tell the scale.

I like your album showing your home and garden. You have inspired me to think about putting piccies of mine in the gallery too. I think it's nice to see where our friends live and what they do, especially as it's unlikely we'll ever meet.

Yes, they are potholders. I was experimenting FMQ with some sandwiches and although the attempts were absolutely not good (many a model would envy those eyelashes!) I could just as well bind them for porholders. DH burns them regularly by BBQing, and he wouldn't mind the looks the stitches have.

Momofmonsters5
September 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM
Haha I use my husbands tobacco every time he says anything about my fabric

SuzyQue
September 3rd, 2013, 04:17 PM
My hubby buys fishing tackle, tools, and Dr. Pepper................I buy fabric. He never comments about my purchases and I don't about his. I feel guilty, but he doesn't even care. He even asks occasionally if I have ordered some fabric lately. He doesn't always care about my finished project beyond a "that's nice" or "pretty" or "I like that color", but then again I rarely comment about his fishing babbles or tools either. It works for us!

lilmouse
September 4th, 2013, 11:35 AM
When I realized how much money I was spending a month I quit...today is day 14 and I am going strong...miss them on occasion but not as much as I thought and I love having the extra money.....am going out of town with a friend and will have a few dollars on me...not allot but more than if I was smoking!

SallyO'Sews
September 4th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Lourixe, clearly you have wonderful taste in fabric. I have watched several relatives (including my dad and my Mother-in-Love) pass away due to lung cancer caused by smoking. Your quilts (or other projects):
Last longer
Smell better
Do the user good
Cost less!

You win all around.

MartinaG
September 4th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Your haul is much healthier than his. Hope he finds the willpower to quit. Then he can help you buy more fabric.

Gayle8675309
September 4th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Fabric beats cigarettes every time!